Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

the pile of sand methodology will work for anthem 2.0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

No Mods No Masters posted:

J. schreier wrote the 40,000 word 'take a giant poo poo on bioware's head' expose of how hosed up anthem's development was. Fun as it is to imagine the desperation I really doubt he of all people would be part of any viral payola schemes, he is probably the single most blackballed journo in existence as far as bioware is concerned

He had that big one on Andromeda too, plus one on how Dragon Age 4 is showing some early signs of the same thing

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

the pile of sand methodology will work for anthem 2.0

It worked great for 1.0 too, I believe it was called a "success" even

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah HALO was only a cultural touchstone because of the massive impact it had on FPS. Every game in the genre has internalized Halo’s DNA (regenerating health vs a static bar, carrying fewer than 9 guns, etc) so now there isn’t any reason to keep being impressed by Halo.

Halo was the worst thing to happen to FPS Games

Only now is the genre recovering a bit, in part thanks to our glorious messiah, Doom 2016

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Disargeria posted:

The higher ups are disconnected, there's no vision, everyone's been working hard but progress isn't actually being made.

Ultimately, this is why any reboot attempt will flop. ARR's success was in no small part due to it being headed by Yoshida, who had a clear, unambiguous vision for a redone FFXIV and enough game dev and managerial experience to know how to effectively get the project out the door within the severe time constraints they were under. Anthem is a plane without a pilot, and Bioware's higher-ups are expecting the flight attendants to land it.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Jason Scheier being the only games journalist with actual sources is really weird.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Lambert posted:

Jason Scheier being the only games journalist with actual sources is really weird.
because he acts like a journalist and not like 99.9999% of games journalists who just copy and paste press releases or reddit posts. so even if he's just an average journalist he's the one eyed king

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
A journalist in games journalism. Well now I've seen everything!

Rupert of Hentzau
Nov 23, 2005
Victim of gross furniture discourtesy.

Vermain posted:

Ultimately, this is why any reboot attempt will flop. ARR's success was in no small part due to it being headed by Yoshida, who had a clear, unambiguous vision for a redone FFXIV and enough game dev and managerial experience to know how to effectively get the project out the door within the severe time constraints they were under. Anthem is a plane without a pilot, and Bioware's higher-ups are expecting the flight attendants to land it.
There's a great NoClip series on Youtube about FF14's resurrection, and one of the first thing Yoshida talks about is effective project management and how he applied it quite ruthlessly to make sure everything that needed to be done to pull the game out of the abyss was planned, scoped and appropriately resourced to get the reboot done while maintaining as much goodwill as possible from their existing players via improvements to the existing game. Contrast that with Bioware's approach of randomly doing stuff and throwing it into a big pile in the hope that it would eventually start to look like a game and then just not saying anything for eight months after it turned out to be a hot mess.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

ok bioware

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

Yeah unless things really happen with BioWare at the middle and upper management level, this is going to be a half baked shitshow. But I mean, I understand it because I'm sure someone at EA realizes that if they completely abandon Anthem (which let's face it, they already *have*), it's going to kill any live service game they make going forward and probably will also kill Dragon Age 4 (which I guess is a LS game on top of that?)

So now I guess it's a race between Ubisoft's Ghost Recon Breakpoint and EA's Anthem to see who can reform their game into a better product, and at this point GRB is already the better game and Ubisoft has a track record of supporting their games and/or fixing them so I wouldn't bet on Anthem. I would have put Bethesda's Fallout 76 in that list as well but lol. Maybe EA thinks if they fix Anthem they can launch "Anthem 1st" and start charging their whales $60 a year.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Division, Diablo 3, No Man's Sky etc. have given precedent that this kind of thing can work. Even Fallout 76's updates were quietly building a community until Fallout 1st kicked it in the nuts. They have no reason to not try. At the very least servers are cheap to keep up, and they could use lessons learned on other projects

Things like this work for me because I don't buy a lot of games, and an overhauled game I already own is cheaper than a new one. Also things like Origin Access exist.

So that's my voice of reason in the thread for now until they actually release something. Have fun talking about cooking or whatever everyone was doing

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

If they were capable of making a good game, they'd have probably made one. Having it's shoot for the moon result being "it could be Fallout 76!" is just as hilarious as it sounds. A company with terrible management and no direction run solely by the bottom line is unlikely to magically turn around their failing product through more terrible management and spending less resources than a new game because it's cheaper to them. Diablo 3 was turned around by trying to rebuild the end game and fix loot after they had to cut out the real money auction house. The Division was fixed by building an endgame they didn't have onto an otherwise good game.. No Man's Sky was them trucking along knowing it might not make them a single dollar more to actually provide the things they had promised in the long run.

Anthem is none of those situations. It's a terrible game, made poorly by a poorly managed company, with no plan for any phase, much less end game. They're certainly not going to rebuild it at a huge loss out of the kindness of their hearts.

Is it physically impossible for them to turn Anthem into something good? Probably not. Is it even remotely statistically likely in any way? No.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
If EA actually hired the dude who created Reaper of Souls (and even posted on the Anthem reddit on how to fix the game!) I think Anthem could have a shot. But no one within the current management is going to be pull anything off expect Shitshow 2.0

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Zaodai posted:

If they were capable of making a good game, they'd have probably made one. Having it's shoot for the moon result being "it could be Fallout 76!" is just as hilarious as it sounds. A company with terrible management and no direction run solely by the bottom line is unlikely to magically turn around their failing product through more terrible management and spending less resources than a new game because it's cheaper to them. Diablo 3 was turned around by trying to rebuild the end game and fix loot after they had to cut out the real money auction house. The Division was fixed by building an endgame they didn't have onto an otherwise good game.. No Man's Sky was them trucking along knowing it might not make them a single dollar more to actually provide the things they had promised in the long run.

Anthem is none of those situations. It's a terrible game, made poorly by a poorly managed company, with no plan for any phase, much less end game. They're certainly not going to rebuild it at a huge loss out of the kindness of their hearts.

Is it physically impossible for them to turn Anthem into something good? Probably not. Is it even remotely statistically likely in any way? No.

thats the big issue. other games that have had bad launches at least have a good/ok/fixable foundation or at least something original. with anthem, it has none of that poo poo. like at least 76 could theoretically turn into an ok game if bethesda got their poo poo in order. but anthem has no core or foundation.

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love
Here just to say I am lmfao at op.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Go back and read page 1 of this thread, now read the recent pages.

Now go back to the andromeda thread page 1, then the latest thread pages.

lol

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

quote:

a new Mass Effect game is in very early development
oh noooooo

e: VVV lmao

SubponticatePoster fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Nov 16, 2019

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
a guy i know on facebook posted that "A mass effect game with anthems verticality could be dope af" but andromeda was his favorite ME game so i think he just has brokebrain

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I have some good ideas for a possibly new Mass Effect game. Hear me out:

- You play as a Hanar

That’s it.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
Well Mass Effect 3 did get a Volus Biotic God after a while so yeah lets go for it.

But come on, give the people what they want: We need Mass Effect Blasto game.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Taking a break from writing fanfiction about a 9 month old Bioware game to write fanfiction about a 32 month old Bioware game, just another day in an incredibly normal and fulfilled life.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

thats the big issue. other games that have had bad launches at least have a good/ok/fixable foundation or at least something original. with anthem, it has none of that poo poo. like at least 76 could theoretically turn into an ok game if bethesda got their poo poo in order. but anthem has no core or foundation.

Pretty much. The one single thing Anthem had going for it was that its abilities, well most of them, felt good to use and were on extremely short cooldowns comparative to its competition. No matter how much they revamp they're not going to revamp the entire game from the ground up no matter what the financials say or how much they want to save it. Should be funny to see what they think is enough though.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

BexGu posted:

Well Mass Effect 3 did get a Volus Biotic God after a while so yeah lets go for it.

But come on, give the people what they want: We need Mass Effect Blasto game.

Near the end of ME3 multiplayer’s update cycle they were tossing all kinds of crazy classes in there and it was great

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!
Mass Effect works best when it focuses on microstories and character development, thus the next Mass Effect should be about an N7 Detective investigating what happened to Shepard (The destroy ending is the real choice and the others were just visions by Star Child.)

Hire me Bioware, I'm better than your current writing team.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Roman posted:

because he acts like a journalist and not like 99.9999% of games journalists who just copy and paste press releases or reddit posts. so even if he's just an average journalist he's the one eyed king

He also makes up for it by having astoundingly poo poo opinions outside of his journalism

And his astoundingly moronic takes on twitter too

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1157303469507842048?s=20

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much

Meiteron posted:

Bioware does not have a juggernaut of a company desperate for their flagship series to succeed like Square Enix; nor do they have someone like Naoki Yoshida who both knew what the good game design was and had the talent to plan out every necessary change to a busted title nearly singlehandedly; nor do they have the authority of the aforementioned juggernaut standing directly behind their star producer's shoulder saying "do everything this man says or you're fired".

On top of all that it's doubtful that at this point Anthem still retains the fanbase willing to trust Bioware/EA (heh) and support Anthem while the game was rebuilt, after all there is no point in spending millions of dollars remaking a game that no one is going to play.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

He also makes up for it by having astoundingly poo poo opinions outside of his journalism

I saw the rest of this thread awhile back. he has a powerful, confusing hangup about the term "consumer" and gets insufferable as hell about it. it's very weird.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

replace "consumer" with "gamer" and you have a post that's right at home on these forums

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Iron Crowned posted:

I only played like the first HALO, and Reach, so I'm not an expert, but I get the idea that HALO just got stale. Game after game of just rehashing the same aliens terrorists and weapons just gets old.

CoD is thriving more than ever, though. Has it radically changed since the first blops? (maybe it has, I honestly don't know)

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Preechr posted:

replace "consumer" with "gamer" and you have a post that's right at home on these forums

Check out the big brain on Preechr.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Preechr posted:

Consumer is a literal term to describe someone who isn't a producer.

You consume a product, that is produced. You are a consumer.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Consumer is a literal term to describe someone who isn't a producer.

You consume a product, that is produced. You are a consumer.

This isn’t healthy.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

Disargeria posted:

Guys this sounds exactly like the style of development that led to Anthem in the first place. It sounds like they haven't actually done any work since launch, just had daily meetings. Just these snippets show that nothing has fundamentally changed at Bioware. The higher ups are disconnected, there's no vision, everyone's been working hard but progress isn't actually being made.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. The other article talked about how it wasn't clear what Anthem'd be other than "like, the best game ever" all the way through preproduction

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

His journalism that people loves is less about the quality of journalism itself and more about having contacts than other people don't have so he gets 'what publishers don't want people to know', the leaks, or the inside stories a troubled development. In other words, you could replace him but any other journalist while keeping the same contacts, and people wouldn't care.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Referring to yourself as a consumer is pretty weird, unless you're having a conversation about media or business specifically

Like imagine someone coming up to you at a party like "hey what's up I'm a consumer, what products do you like to consume??"

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Turin Turambar posted:

His journalism that people loves is less about the quality of journalism itself and more about having contacts than other people don't have so he gets 'what publishers don't want people to know', the leaks, or the inside stories a troubled development. In other words, you could replace him but any other journalist while keeping the same contacts, and people wouldn't care.

Do you think having contacts is a pile of collectible codecs that you hit up whenever you want to make a story?

Developing and cultivating sources is the job. He persuades people to tell him secrets about what's going on behind the scenes in their weird companies. His ability to do that is what makes him special in the game enthusiast press (and is table stakes in the ordinary press).

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

schreier is great but like alot of Journalists in the gaming field, he loving hates his audience, obviously some of that is justified but it also results in weird poo poo like that and dumb ingroup bullshit or because of he thinks he is irreplaceable which with the current crop of journalists is probably true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Lmao
Anthem was such a loving turd hahahah