Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

Yes actually. Games using the biggest beefiest dudes for this stuff are hilarious IMO.

Imagine if the next GOW game has the easy mode setting with a picture of Kratos wearing a propeller beanie and holding a lollipop the size of a pancake.

Imagine the other GOW where easy mode has Marcus in a onsie with a bonnet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Bring back Dairy Bastard, you cowards.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

D.C. is a series of confusingly laid-out series of boxes.

I dont think you can blame Bethesda for that

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

dracula vladdy AF posted:

yeah tbh beast makers has always been absolute dogshit, not a single good level in the place. the gnorcs can keep it imo

I keep forgetting it even exists. After Magic Casters I go to the balloonist and my internal monologue is always "OK, time for Dreamweavers... oh wait... Beast Makers? poo poo..." I specifically remember Tree tops and the boss, but nothing else.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Tunicate posted:

I played the original as a kid and was very confused, because CLEARLY playing as a veteran character would be way easier than playing as a baby, so baby should be the hardmode :colbert:.

Aka the Alpha Protocol school of difficulty representation.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Got Fallout 3 to run by tweaking the ini. Now I remember the hard way there's no sprinting, no iron-sights, and D.C. is a series of confusingly laid-out series of boxes. About the only thing I can praise it for in 2019 is ensuring that New Vegas existed. Backup and delete.

It cannot be stressed enough how perfectly accurate Bethesda captured the essence of the DC metro as a broken mess full of mutants that regularly catches fire and only occasionally goes somewhere you'd actually want to be.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The problem games with Bethesda's model run into (and Outer Worlds is no exception) is that you can have this big map with a ton of buildings, but realistically there are only so many buildings you can actually create interiors for (and from a design perspective, even if you could map out the interior of every office building and apartment building and so on, there'd be very little to do in those places). Old RPGs could just say "here's the town, here's the castle, the inn, the blacksmith, and the temple" and we kind of accepted the abstraction. You can still pull off the illusion of a big city (Mass Effect did a decent job) but you'll always have empty shells.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Maxwell Lord posted:

The problem games with Bethesda's model run into (and Outer Worlds is no exception) is that you can have this big map with a ton of buildings, but realistically there are only so many buildings you can actually create interiors for (and from a design perspective, even if you could map out the interior of every office building and apartment building and so on, there'd be very little to do in those places). Old RPGs could just say "here's the town, here's the castle, the inn, the blacksmith, and the temple" and we kind of accepted the abstraction. You can still pull off the illusion of a big city (Mass Effect did a decent job) but you'll always have empty shells.

I quite like Outer Worlds, but one part I am disappointed in is how lifeless all the towns feel, simply due to a lack of NPCs. Like, I walked into Edgewater, and I know it's supposed to be a quiet podunk town and all, but for a little bit I was assuming it was deserted.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:

BioEnchanted posted:

The treetops level in the Spyro remake is as annoying as ever to navigate and the remake's analog controls makes it worse, as on this one super-charge ramp that curls around a tree you need to hug the wall tightly to avoid falling off but you only turn right if the stick is as far right as it can go, anymore forward or back and you go flying off as he doesn't turn. I had to use the d-pad just to control that entire charge. The Dream-Weaver's world is definitely overall less annoying than Beast Makers world, I always hated Beast Makers.

About every two or three years I replay Spyro, and I always think to myself it’s fun and easy and I can probably 100% it in a single sitting, and I’m having a good time but then I roll up to the Beat Makers world and I think, “Yeah, this is a good stopping point, I’ll finish this tomorrow.”

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Morpheus posted:

I quite like Outer Worlds, but one part I am disappointed in is how lifeless all the towns feel, simply due to a lack of NPCs. Like, I walked into Edgewater, and I know it's supposed to be a quiet podunk town and all, but for a little bit I was assuming it was deserted.

To be fair, it half is, except after you resolve it it still is, along with every other town

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I only get fallout 3 to run these days through Tale of Two Wastelands which you should probably install anyway

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

SkeletonHero posted:

About every two or three years I replay Spyro, and I always think to myself it’s fun and easy and I can probably 100% it in a single sitting, and I’m having a good time but then I roll up to the Beat Makers world and I think, “Yeah, this is a good stopping point, I’ll finish this tomorrow.”

It seems every game has One Big Moment where you either know whether you are going to finish the game, or just put it down. One particularly hard part that you always remember. Riku 2 and Maleficent in Kingdom Hearts 1. In Spyro, Beastmakers. Many RPGs have a really hard brick wall boss right in the middle. Psy Ops had that fire woman I got stuck on, same with Epic Mickey with the Mad Doctor bossfight. Teslagrad has the bird boss, and it's prequel World to the West has the mine boss which you fight as the little kid with the explosives. It's almost always the halfway point too or near the final third or sometimes the penultimate fight. Some people it may be that desert boss in Nier Automata. Then after it's over, the rest of the game seems relatively easy often right up until or including the final boss, because that One Moment made you REALLY GOOD at the game.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 22:16 on Nov 15, 2019

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i complained about the homogeneity of character voices in death stranding before, but even worse is when they do try to distinguish the voices and they don't match up

one minor character you encounter is the Elder, who as his name implies is an older guy who speaks with a creaky, prim-and-proper german accent. but in his emails he goes 'round typin' like a homespun varmint-poppin' cowboy stereotype, with loads o' dropped gerunds and other such affectations. i don't think there was much communication between the localizing teams here

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Who are the worst NPCs in a game?

Preston Garvey needs no introduction given his utterly bored voice-acting, complete lack of enthusiasm, and his affinity for wasting your time with RNG fetch-quests. But I hate Mama Murphy so much more. She has this ear-loving Boston accent and she drones on and on about "destiny", a concept this game did not need and acts as really lazy foreshadowing.

The key flaw with both these characters and the game in general is that neither of them possess a sense of humour, and neither of them are capable of further depth with the limited conversation system. Bethesda games are full of NPCs who simply exist and aren't rooted in the setting. Half of them betray you at the drop of a hat and the other half are voiced by Stephen Russell.

I used to hate Riki from Xenoblade until I realised the rest of his village hate him too, and they make him join your party to get rid off him.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I've just realized Final Fantasy 14 Shadowbringers removed all of the flavor text from the tooltips of abilities. Now it just states what the move does. This is especially awful for the change to Astrologians DoT, now it just says "deals damage over time". Before it said "Being close to a theoretical sun is causing damage". The fact that someone could, in theory, be near a sun and causing them damage is great and I am deeply unhappy this has been removed.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Oxxidation posted:

i complained about the homogeneity of character voices in death stranding before, but even worse is when they do try to distinguish the voices and they don't match up

one minor character you encounter is the Elder, who as his name implies is an older guy who speaks with a creaky, prim-and-proper german accent. but in his emails he goes 'round typin' like a homespun varmint-poppin' cowboy stereotype, with loads o' dropped gerunds and other such affectations. i don't think there was much communication between the localizing teams here

Maybe he's just insecure about his German accent and he feels like he can only be the American cowboy he was born to be in text form.

I'm pretty early into Death Stranding but I don't like the voice actor for Deadman. It's just weird to see Guillermo Del Toro talking to me with a different voice. I understand Del Toro is probably busy as hell, and also not a trained voice actor in any way, but still, the guy doing the voice sounds weird and whiny. Although, on the other hand, Norman Reedus's performance as Sam is impressively good (and his facial hair is impressively bad)

I'm enjoying all the celebrity cameos, but I'm wondering what kind of weird celebrity catnip Kojima has been slipping to these people to get so many huge names in one game.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Borderlands 2 has some of the worst most hateable NPCs in all of gaming history. I always judge the poo poo out of people who genuinely enjoy their trash sense of humor.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrFcWcRmjec

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Morgana was like if Navi was slightly more annoying, caused tons of unnecessary drama, thought he was your mother, and was mostly voice acted.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Squiddycat posted:

I only get fallout 3 to run these days through Tale of Two Wastelands which you should probably install anyway

only install this if you like 200 hour games

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Behold, the most annoying dude in Cyrodiil.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
By Azura by Azura by Azura! I can't believe its the champion, standing here, next to me!

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Huey sucks

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Ok just on a technical level

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Loki from Bayonetta 2 single handedly ruined a game I’d been anticipating very much

The little poo poo even steals the final boss’ defeat from you

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

food court bailiff posted:

Morgana was like if Navi was slightly more annoying, caused tons of unnecessary drama, thought he was your mother, and was mostly voice acted.

and also a Pick-Up Artist

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Reaver from fable 2 and 3 is awful and I hate him and I hate I can't kill him even as a a godking

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

food court bailiff posted:

He always, always calls Ryuji and idiot despite doing way dumber stuff. And I could work with that, if it wasn't for the fact that the game writes him in such a way that it expects you to side with Morgana, even though Ryuji is always a way better character.

The key flaw with both these characters and the game in general is that neither of them possess a sense of humour, and neither of them are capable of further depth with the limited conversation system. Bethesda games are full of NPCs who simply exist and aren't rooted in the setting. Half of them betray you at the drop of a hat and the other half are voiced by Stephen Russell.

FO:NV is one of my favorite games. The characters in it are much more grounded in the setting and a lot have dialogues with other characters where you can kind of figure their deal out from people that know them in ways that feel like how a person would actually interact with people. FO4 just kind of had characters be vendors or quest signposts. The best it pulled off was "Disney Park Cast Person"

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Leal posted:

Imagine the other GOW where easy mode has Marcus in a onsie with a bonnet.

DOOM Eternal comes out and the easy mode has DoomSlayer holding a Baron of Hell's hand as it takes him to school.

Maxwell Lord posted:

Yeah, this was me when I played DQ11. Every kingdom I went to beside Heliodor just seemed way too small comparatively. They didn't really sell that I was just seeing parts of the place and everything else was just rubble that I'm not exploring either so everything just felt 70% too small.

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008

World Famous W posted:

Reaver from fable 2 and 3 is awful and I hate him and I hate I can't kill him even as a a godking

God, I hated that guy, but not half as much as the fact that you couldn't kill him. And not even for any good reason: you need him alive because of unexplained plot reasons, and you can't kill him because the game just didn't think to give you the option.

Kai Leng from Mass Effect 3 is a close contended, but you eventually get some catharsis by killing him. Jaden from Jedi Academy is pretty darn hate-able, but I think that was mostly deliberate, so choosing the dark side would be more understandable.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I will take a dozen boring NPCs like Preston Garvey over creator's pets like Kai Leng or obnoxious, annoying gits like Alphys.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
The last level from Jedi Academy on the dark side is so much cooler than the other that its almost a thing dragging it down, if that one dude wasn't such a dick.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Dilb posted:

Kai Leng from Mass Effect 3 is a close contended, but you eventually get some catharsis by killing him. Jaden from Jedi Academy is pretty darn hate-able, but I think that was mostly deliberate, so choosing the dark side would be more understandable.

Kai Leng was great because he kept getting talked up but every single time you fight him, he got punked and ran away. Thane's "Tell him he got held off by a dying Drell." and Shepard's "You brought a gunship and still can't beat me!" which was followed by Kai Leng making this frustrated whine like a bratty teenager.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Dilb posted:

God, I hated that guy, but not half as much as the fact that you couldn't kill him. And not even for any good reason: you need him alive because of unexplained plot reasons, and you can't kill him because the game just didn't think to give you the option.
Making matters worse was the choices presented in Fable 3. Let Reaver work children to death or open a school that somehow works out for him as well.

Reaver was somebodies baby who worked on that and they'll be damned if you got the upper hand on their OC

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

World Famous W posted:

Making matters worse was the choices presented in Fable 3. Let Reaver work children to death or open a school that somehow works out for him as well.

republican_vs_democrats.txt

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:killing:

I used to hate Riki from Xenoblade until I realised the rest of his village hate him too, and they make him join your party to get rid off him.

I ended up liking Riki a lot, because despite being your cute mascot he was actually a middle-aged father of six, and every heart-to-heart scene with him was this ridiculous balloon animal giving you folksy dad wisdom.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Any magical child character in a video game is simply the worst. I hate them all. It's what I imagine would be the fantasy RPG equivalent of "things my 8-year old said about Mr. Trump" tweets.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

exquisite tea posted:

Any magical child character in a video game is simply the worst. I hate them all. It's what I imagine would be the fantasy RPG equivalent of "things my 8-year old said about Mr. Trump" tweets.

Veronica in Dragon Quest XI is actually good despite the fact that she falls into the "is actually older but has been de-aged" trope.
I feared the worst when I saw that she had a wearable 'cat suit' but nope it's literally this.

Also Vivi in Final Fantasy IX is the best.

Although Eiko in the same game is mostly everything you hate.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

SkeletonHero posted:

I ended up liking Riki a lot, because despite being your cute mascot he was actually a middle-aged father of six, and every heart-to-heart scene with him was this ridiculous balloon animal giving you folksy dad wisdom.

I felt the same way about Tatsu, I actually more hated how everyone else interacted with him. They were constantly allowing Lin to bully him and it just felt mean given she was jokingly threatening the very thing that nearly wiped out his species in the first place. I ended up hating Lin more than Tatsu in Chronicles X.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Leal posted:

By Azura by Azura by Azura! I can't believe its the champion, standing here, next to me!

Italics are neccesary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

World Famous W posted:

Reaver was somebodies baby who worked on that and they'll be damned if you got the upper hand on their OC

Reaver's whole deal is that he's basically immortal, he sold your starting town in Fable 1 for eternal life, everyone who lived there died as part of the deal, he's smug because he knows you need him and in Fable 3 he's basically Mr Capitalism who owns all the industry and benefits from any decision you make as his company handles it.