Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

Bottom Liner posted:

There are good games and opinions and posts and there are bad ones 😼

Well according to your red text I shouldn’t listen to you anyway :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Rajas is so forgettable no one can even remember how to spell its name properly :v:

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
As Long As You Have Fun™ Its A Good Game versus I've Noticed That Games That I Like Have a Certain Set of Design Decisions round 8 million.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
There are two types of good board games. Those David Sirlin has already ripped off, and those David Sirlin will rip off in the future.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Impermanent posted:

As Long As You Have Fun™ Its A Good Game versus I've Noticed That Games That I Like Have a Certain Set of Design Decisions round 8 million.

Also, the only valid mechanics are those that work for me personally.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Played Bus, the winner scored only 5 points

Game is good. The limited actions, the potential for getting screwed 3 different ways unless you invest actions, and amount of spite is all great. I’m really interested in seeing how a metagame will build if I can get some repeat players

Mighty Eris
Mar 24, 2005

Jolly good show, eh old man?

Jedit posted:

I took one look at Rages of the Ganjas and moved on. It didn't seem offensively bad or anything, it's just not exciting.

It doesn’t do anything wrong, and I think the converging victory point and income tracks are neat. That’s also literally the only thing it has that’s not otherwise bog standard. I’ve played a decent amount of it online because free and asynchronous makes a lot of things easier to tolerate, but for me it’s kind of definitional as a damnit with faint praise item.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
In other news, looks like Chad Jensen’s diagnosis is now terminal and only has weeks to live. :smith:

EDIT:

Oh, nevermind. He passed away today. :( RIP Chad Jensen

VoodooXT fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Nov 15, 2019

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Shadow225 posted:

Alright, I think I've decided on selling the following. If you're in the US and want to purchase, message me:

BREWCRAFTERS SOLD
RA SOLD
Lewis and Clark (plus promos) SOLD
Puzzle Strike 3rd edition (plus promo) SOLD
Paper Tales SOLD

Castles of Mad King Ludwig
Civilization A New Dawn
Voyages of Marco Polo (NIS)
Divinity Derby Kickstarter Deluxe
Libertalia
Street Kings
Cash N Guns (plus both expansions)
Riff Raff
London Second Edition
Tumblin Dice
Lost Cities (NIS)

Updating to say that EnjoithePureTrip grabbed Brewcrafters from me, and also to get fresh eyes in case US people want anything else.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Shadow225 posted:

Updating to say that EnjoithePureTrip grabbed Brewcrafters from me, and also to get fresh eyes in case US people want anything else.

I am not in the US, but I will smite you all for not biting on Civ New Dawn, Libertalia and London 2E. They're all great games, and Libertalia is very OOP to boot.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
whoever snagged puzzle strike got in a good game cheap. drat. Sirlin's best game, probably.

inb4 sirlin steals everything. he does. sometimes the things he steals he assembles into good games. at least none of his games have longwinded treatises on the virtues of colonialism.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

VoodooXT posted:

In other news, looks like Chad Jensen’s diagnosis is now terminal and only has weeks to live. :smith:

EDIT:

Oh, nevermind. He passed away today. :( RIP Chad Jensen

So so sad. Dominant Species is top five for me and he was always so good at supporting his games on BGG.

Mayveena fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Nov 15, 2019

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Mayveena posted:

So so sad. Dominant Speciex is top five for me and he was always so good at supporting his games on BGG.

Man was a legend. Love a bunch of his games.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Christophe Boelinger has posted that he's getting serious about Earth Reborn again and has designed some new factions and characters, which he'll be showing off soon. Hell yes.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Christophe Boelinger has posted that he's getting serious about Earth Reborn again and has designed some new factions and characters, which he'll be showing off soon. Hell yes.

are we thinking expansion or new version?

also living planet when

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
Dang RIP. Dominant Species is awesome.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

ketchup vs catsup posted:

are we thinking expansion or new version?

also living planet when

Living Planet is still on track for January/February as far as I know.

Edit: I found a post from Christophe from November 2015. He said that any Earth Reborn "expansion" would be a standalone product.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Nov 15, 2019

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

Old Knizia (and arguably new, since he's hitting a big Reinerssance) is probably the all time greatest game designer.

Old hits, all fantastic:
T&E
Ra
Modern Art
Samurai
Taj Mahal
High Society
Lost Cities
Amun-Re
Battle Line
Stephenson's Rocket
Blue Moon (Legends)
Winner's Circle

and lately:
Blue Lagoon
Y&Y
Quest for El Dorado

Definitely seek out Ra, it's pretty unique in the auction genre and creates some beautiful tension and stand up moments.

I finally got around to playing Battle Line last night, and yeah, wow, that is a clever game! It really ought to come with a reference card for the hierarchy of formations, though.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Schotten Totten (Scottish rethemed version) does, that's a shame the other prints don't. ST also has a smaller box and is like <$15, and I sell it to non-gamers as "3 card poker but you play multiple hands at once" and it's always been a hit.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
Yellow & Yangtze is at the top of my wishlist right now.

High Society is also my go-to filler game. Always a hit when introducing to more casual players.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The history of Schotten Totten is fun because it was pretty barebones on first release, then reprinted as Battle Line by GMT which added the tactics cards, then re-ported back to Schotten Totten with the tactics cards. It's like a Japanese PS2 game or something that gets a superior "international release" based on the Western release improved over the janky as gently caress original Japanese release.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Who gives a poo poo about this give me more Dungeon Twister (first).

Also gonna try to get Dominant Species on the table tonight because drat.

Edit: What is the early read on Living Planet? Should I be sad about missing the KS?

GrandpaPants fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Nov 15, 2019

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009

al-azad posted:

The history of Schotten Totten is fun because it was pretty barebones on first release, then reprinted as Battle Line by GMT which added the tactics cards, then re-ported back to Schotten Totten with the tactics cards. It's like a Japanese PS2 game or something that gets a superior "international release" based on the Western release improved over the janky as gently caress original Japanese release.

I prefer not to use the tactics cards. Too chaotic.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

discount cathouse posted:

I prefer not to use the tactics cards. Too chaotic.

I find they add a lot to the game and there’s a good balance factor to them because you can’t play more than your opponent has plus one. You’re denying yourself knowledge and weakening your hand for a chance to turn a losing battle around.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Letter Jam was smart but not fun. Like I get how it’s good but I’m not sure that the entire package comes together in a fulfilling end-state

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

for A Fake Artist Goes to New York:

❇︎ am I right to suspect I should get a decent-sized whiteboard if I want to play with 7 or 8 people?
❇︎ is there a reason to buy the game if I watched a demo already?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

❇︎ am I right to suspect I should get a decent-sized whiteboard if I want to play with 7 or 8 people?

I use scrap A4 paper and it works fine for that many people. Partly a matter of what you have and the setting you are in.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Tekopo posted:

Letter Jam was smart but not fun. Like I get how it’s good but I’m not sure that the entire package comes together in a fulfilling end-state

It's about 5x too long for the central gimmick IMO.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Go all in and paint a wall with blackboard paint and get big sticks of coloured chalk.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Tekopo posted:

Agreed. Decrypto is still mwah

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

What am I missing in Eclipse? I’ve played the game six times and have had about 90 seconds of fun combined.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Tekopo posted:

A good summation.

I had a mostly Kiesling night. Played Sanssouci, an odd set collecting game that felt a little like Azul but with stronger push your luck and more satisfying disasters.

And Vikings, which I think I like quite a bit but feels unbalanced at 4 due to there being only six rounds so who is first rotates unevenly.

Then some random roll and write called Mosaix which was fine, shorter thus better than others I've seen.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Rajas is fine with a few expansions tossed in, it's also quite quick once everyone knows how to play (45 mins quick). The base game is pretty blah and honestly the expansions should have been in the base set.

Triskelli posted:

What am I missing in Eclipse? I’ve played the game six times and have had about 90 seconds of fun combined.

If you don't like making cool ships that go pew-pew-pew you're not gonna have a good time.

You aren't required to place a tile when you explore. You lose the action, but it may be worth it to not be surrounded by 0 or 1-planet tiles that aren't worth your influence discs.

You can go bankrupt on purpose, you have to remove discs from the board then. Oh darn, i have to pick up that disc from that tile that only has a claimed discovery token and zero planets :v:

V but yes, Eclipse is babby's first Twilight Imperium

Bellmaker fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Nov 16, 2019

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Triskelli posted:

Eclipse is for people that are not cool enough to play Twilight Imperium. And Twilight Imperium is for people that are not dedicated enough to play Federation & Empire. For a true space opera 4x you should be playing Federation & Empire with full simulation mode turned on for each battle.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Eclipse is straight up a skirmish game with a Euro style system of exponential costs to restrict actions. It bills itself as 4x light but you really just want to dive bomb the weakest players while making sure your rear end isn't exposed.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I liked how eclipse has a system of designing ships and researching technology, but that game was a pain in the rear end. Also the fact that missiles were just clearly better than not missiles in pretty much every way. And that the game requires you to put approximately 1000 cubes on every player's sheet and whoops someone kneed the table who knows what everyone was at now.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Eclipse protip: dump all your techs into making awesome battleships and then get owned on the last turn by lots of fighters with missiles

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Eclipse protip: dump all your techs into making awesome battleships and then get owned on the last turn by lots of fighters with missiles

Literally every single time I've ever played that game.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I liked Eclipse but don't think I'll play it again after space empires 4x. There's a more viable rock paper scissors aspect of fleet makeup. You are trusting that everyone's math checks out, however. I might make some sort of simple spreadsheet program to tabulate it and send you back to a neutral screen between each player just to double check.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

I was fortunate enough to grab one of the copies of the Battle Line Medieval redesign, which GMT is allegedly reprinting soon.

Hopefully it's a straight reprint, because my copy has formation ranking cheat sheet cards and a very portable box, as well as the tactics deck AND a unique battlefields variant. They're interesting if you want a longer, more puzzly game, but I would never play with both at the same time.