Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

53k after tax incentive for a 3ish second 0-60.
Wait poo poo, make that 48K for people like me in CO. Nice.

Franco Caution fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Nov 15, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

This is stupid because they're mustang branding it, but hilarious because it makes performance cars a loving joke now that a babyhauler CUV can smoke your mid-tier AMG penismobiles from a red light.

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum
Yah name aside it actually sounds like it could be pretty awesome, shame about the "coupe" styling that ruins the practicality of the hatch, and the fact that Ford has botched every big launch the last few years.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

The Oldest Man posted:

This is stupid because they're mustang branding it, but hilarious because it makes performance cars a loving joke now that a babyhauler CUV can smoke your mid-tier AMG penismobiles from a red light.

Maybe they called it a Mustang so nobody could say it's faster than a Mustang?

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Mustange would have been fine

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
E L E C T R I C - H O R S E

The Oldest Man posted:

I love it lol

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

The Oldest Man posted:

But it's cool and good if it forces other manufacturers to make more electric cars to compete with it.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Do you think the average car buyer really "gets" how crazy electric motors can be yet or are they still by and large associated with "eco-leaf" branded hippiemobiles

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
My only complaint about the name is it should be called the Falcon. Other than that, hell yeah performance family hauler!

I don't even care if it's considered a crossover, to me that just means tall hatchback/wagon.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

As Nero Danced posted:

My only complaint about the name is it should be called the Falcon. Other than that, hell yeah performance family hauler!

I don't even care if it's considered a crossover, to me that just means tall hatchback/wagon.

Save the falcon for a lightweight rwd coupe.

Call it the E-dsel

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Monkey Fracas posted:

Do you think the average car buyer really "gets" how crazy electric motors can be yet or are they still by and large associated with "eco-leaf" branded hippiemobiles

They have no idea. They don't really have any idea of what their V6 Camry is capable of either outside of the time they scared themselves by touching the go pedal too hard and for too long.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Monkey Fracas posted:

Some do. I recently got a "just buy a Tesla bro" when I expressed a desire to buy a sportbike.

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

Neo_Crimson posted:

Some do. I recently got a "just buy a Tesla bro" when I expressed a desire to buy a sportbike.

I think he assumed you had a death-wish

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

There is no way that the general public had any idea and all decision makers for the auto manufacturers do not either.

We could have electric twin motor RWD coupes with wheelie control that could hold daylight under the front tires and steer until you let off the go pedal. Except no one who has any imagination has access to the purse strings.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

what magical batteries will power these electric supercars?

Electric motors have never been the limiting factor, and doing those crazy hard launches puts extreme wear on the batteries

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Wheeee posted:

Electric motors have never been the limiting factor, and doing those crazy hard launches puts extreme wear on the batteries

In no way is the vehicle I'm describing a supercar. Nor would it's range exceed that of a motorcycle with a full tank. If the Leaf or similar batteries had a proper thermal management system, you could get away with 200kW of power to the rear wheels.

If EV West can parts bin electric beetles in a shed and VW can can now build a motor for the ID.3 that fits in a gym bag, all the hurdles are dropping quick.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Wheeee posted:

The Taycan manages it just fine.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

drgitlin posted:

The Taycan manages it just fine.

The Taycan has never been out of warranty

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

McTinkerson posted:

In no way is the vehicle I'm describing a supercar. Nor would it's range exceed that of a motorcycle with a full tank. If the Leaf or similar batteries had a proper thermal management system, you could get away with 200kW of power to the rear wheels.

If EV West can parts bin electric beetles in a shed and VW can can now build a motor for the ID.3 that fits in a gym bag, all the hurdles are dropping quick.

So you'd need, at minimum, a thermal management system (weight, cost complexity, engineering, packaging issues) and a bunch of custom software to control an ecu that runs it and manages wheelie control. And an independent in-hub motor system at each rear wheel. Costcostcostcostcost.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

The Oldest Man posted:

So you'd need, at minimum, a thermal management system (weight, cost complexity, engineering, packaging issues) and a bunch of custom software to control an ecu that runs it and manages wheelie control. And an independent in-hub motor system at each rear wheel. Costcostcostcostcost.

Yeah but the infotainment system will be fly as hell

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

I'm sure everyone here will be shocked by this:

Ford and Chevy Are Losing Buyers after Discontinuing Compact Cars: Report

quote:

Ford and Chevy are losing a loyal set of buyers since discontinuing the Focus and Cruze compact cars, according to a new report from Edmunds.com. Brand-loyalty data shows that fewer Focus and Cruze owners in 2019 are buying another Ford or Chevy for their next vehicle than they did in 2016, with Focus brand loyalty dropping from 40 to 33 percent and Cruze brand loyalty dropping from 57 to 45 percent.

The data also shows that competitors such as Toyota and Honda are gaining from Ford and Chevy's loss. Because the compact-car segment still makes up a significant 9.1 percent of all new-vehicle sales this year, Focus and Cruze buyers are trading in for competitor models including the Honda Civic and Toyota Corolla at higher rates. Both the Civic and Corolla are increasingly being bought by customers trading in a Focus or Cruze. Through October 2019, Honda reported Civic sales up 0.6 percent and Toyota reported Corolla sales down 0.3 percent.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

They're losing buyers, but it doesn't necessarily mean they made the wrong financial decision.

Not super surprising, though, and this is what's going to happen to companies that decide to chase the largest market segment to the exclusion of all else. There are more than enough buyers who want non-CUVs, just possibly not enough for every single automaker to fight over them.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

I would buy another focus hatch tomorrow if they put a regular 6 speed automatic in it. They were good affordable cars completely ruined by that DPS6. The manual was okay, but the clutch was odd. Also, I wish they'd moved the brake pedal away from the driver about 1.5 inches so it was in-line with the gas pedal.

When I was shopping for one, it was difficult to find a small hatchback car. Kia had the rio 5 and hyundai had that elantra GT I think, but given the fact the theta 2 is all but guaranteed to blow itself up, I'm glad I didn't go that route. At the same time, I was absolutely spoiled for choice if I'd look at the small SUV/CUV segment. My two problems with those got worse gas mileage in addition to costing on average $10k more.

Re: the cruze, isn't the worst phrase still 'chevy small car' ? I was under the impression the first gen cruze was okay and it steadily got worse.

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy

BloodBag posted:

I would buy another focus hatch tomorrow if they put a regular 6 speed automatic in it. They were good affordable cars completely ruined by that DPS6. The manual was okay, but the clutch was odd. Also, I wish they'd moved the brake pedal away from the driver about 1.5 inches so it was in-line with the gas pedal.

When I was shopping for one, it was difficult to find a small hatchback car. Kia had the rio 5 and hyundai had that elantra GT I think, but given the fact the theta 2 is all but guaranteed to blow itself up, I'm glad I didn't go that route. At the same time, I was absolutely spoiled for choice if I'd look at the small SUV/CUV segment. My two problems with those got worse gas mileage in addition to costing on average $10k more.

Re: the cruze, isn't the worst phrase still 'chevy small car' ? I was under the impression the first gen cruze was okay and it steadily got worse.

Cruzes were good small cars. I’d rather have driven one of those than any other car in its class, at the time. Props to Daewoo

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Powershift posted:

The Taycan has never been out of warranty

The Taycan has barely been on sale even.

fknlo posted:

They have no idea.

Uhhh... a lot of non car nerds actually are quite well aware Teslas will poo poo on supercars at the lights. It's no co-incidence that new Ford EV have distinctly Tesla-like claims of performance/charging and range.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

The Taycan has barely been on sale even.

Uhhh... a lot of non car nerds actually are quite well aware Teslas will poo poo on supercars at the lights. It's no co-incidence that new Ford EV have distinctly Tesla-like claims of performance/charging and range.

I think that they know that it's "fast" but don't have an actual understanding of what that entails. Hell, I have no idea what a hard launch in something like that feels like and it would probably take me by surprise.

e: I'm definitely judging this by my experience giving people rides in my M3. I've totally had one friend white knuckle the door panel grip on a short 2nd gear pull.

fknlo fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Nov 16, 2019

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

CornHolio posted:

The thing that most states that aren't constantly on fire experience :v:

Florida doesn't catch fire very often.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

BloodBag posted:

The Focus did go to a normal 6 speed in most markets so Ford really had no excuse for continuing to push the dual clutch in the USA

As for the Cruze I thought it was okay overall but given the insane depreciation GM small cars suffer from I don’t see why you’d ever buy one new.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

After seeing lap times for the Cobalt SS and the fact you could pay GM to up the HP via tune while keeping warranty, I was excited to see what they would do with a Cruze SS.

Hey let's never do that!

I also was planning to look seriously at the Gen 2 Focus RS because around the time it would have been out my Speed3 would be getting up there age wise.

Ford made that decision easy for me too.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

fknlo posted:

I think that they know that it's "fast" but don't have an actual understanding of what that entails. Hell, I have no idea what a hard launch in something like that feels like and it would probably take me by surprise.
Never tried ludicrous mode, but a hard launch from a P100D feels less violent than you would think because the power delivery is so smooth and drama-free

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

lol. So many salty boomers. https://www.thepetitionsite.com/769/568/451/demand-ford-to-disassociate-the-mach-e-with-the-mustang-brand/?taf_id=64313877

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

quote:

This is not what the Mustang is about its about serious power for the serious engine yes it uses fuel but we have to keep this heritage it’s like the mini which was a small compact car nowadays it’s ridiculous bulbous lump of metal that totally dThis is not what the Mustang is about its about serious power for the serious engine yes it uses fuel but we have to keep this heritage it’s like the mini which was a small compact car nowadays it’s ridiculous bulbous lump of metal that totally distracts from the original There are plenty of SUVs around that use electric The Mustang brand is associated with raw power to the V8 the most glorious thing to come out of food

What’s with a ton of them being from the UK?

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

quote:

electric milf mobile

lmao

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I want an electric milf mobile.

I was at the local auto show. Why don't they mold the spare tire into the floor of the Corolla hatchback? It takes up so much space. I think it's the Auris elsewhere.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

The Mach-E looks neat. I just wish it didn't have the tesla 3 interior of a giant tablet stuck in the center. At least it has a screen in a normal place too I guess. I'll probably look at something CUVish next year because the roads are a freaking battle field here. GLC63 is my current top contender but that could be cool too.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

Charles posted:

I was at the local auto show. Why don't they mold the spare tire into the floor of the Corolla hatchback? It takes up so much space. I think it's the Auris elsewhere.

Fuel tank is probably below the floor?

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
My Prius C is like that too. I think they do that to make the floor totally flat when the seats are folded down. It just wastes a bunch of space.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Charles posted:

It was designed to come without a spare - they added one as an afterthought for markets it’s needed in.

In my market the petrol has a spare, the hybrid does not (and has more boot space as a result)

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

dissss posted:

It was designed to come without a spare - they added one as an afterthought for markets it’s needed in.

In my market the petrol has a spare, the hybrid does not (and has more boot space as a result)

Yeah, it really takes up a lot of space. Makes sense, I think I saw it was a Japanese built vehicle so I bet they're not planning on selling a lot here and wouldn't bother changing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Said without realizing the early Mustangs were always positioned as "Secretary Cars." 🤭