Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/RevProUK/status/1186353014698848256

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAFJctK0qYw

Holy shiiiiit

Hyped out of my mind for Saturday

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Holy shiiiiit

Shaun Ryan does it again!

BTF
Oct 15, 2019

I love Matt Taven

Holy shiiiiit

Best hype videos in the business.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Been hearing very good things about the David Starr vs Jordan Devlin match from the OTT 5th Anniversary show, but currently have been unable to access the OTT On Demand site and Is It Down Right Now is saying it's been offline for over a week? Where exactly are people seeing this match?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

Been hearing very good things about the David Starr vs Jordan Devlin match from the OTT 5th Anniversary show, but currently have been unable to access the OTT On Demand site and Is It Down Right Now is saying it's been offline for over a week? Where exactly are people seeing this match?

I saw it live :dukedog:

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

forkboy84 posted:

https://overthetopwrestling.pivotshare.com/

Front row baby!

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

forkboy84 posted:

Just to add, I'd also heard good things and this was, when you add in the storytelling and atmosphere, the best match I've seen this year. I cannot recommend it enough.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

Nice to meet you in the toilet btw.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Von Linus posted:

Nice to meet you in the toilet btw.

Hahaha yes it was! I'm not going to the next one either, have something on that weekend.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

Hahaha yes it was! I'm not going to the next one either, have something on that weekend.

I've got a fortieth. I can't see the Lucha Bros coming back over anytime soon though, so I'm a bit pissed.

BTF
Oct 15, 2019

I love Matt Taven
Well then, got through the 5th Anniversary. Very much an enjoyable show throughout with an extremely hot crowd all night long.

- Opener was a good six man tag, with Cara Noir being the standout. He's going to be a HUGE name in the UK scene (or the complete opposite in NXT UK) next year.
- Kingston/Thatcher was a pretty fun underdog story and I was finally (somewhat) impressed by Thatcher after his mathces had left me pretty cold in a few previous occasions.
- Cleary/Davis was definitely a ladder match. I mean, I liked it, but a tad bit more selling and a few spots less would have left a better taste in my mouth. Well, I guess that's the curse of the 1v1 ladder match. Still, some amazing spots, especially the final fall of the ladder.
- Harvey/Valkyrie was as solid as a match you could get after being out nine months with two broken elbows.
- Cool/Cassidy delivered all the goods from the entrances to the end. Loved almost every second of it.
- GOD/Kings was the standard brawling affair that you would expect from these teams. Surely it was better if you were there live, with the crowd brawling and all. On the VOD, well, it was a match.
- GYV/MTH was a drat solid tag match. Martin and Kearney have great chemistry together and are only getting better. Gibson was his amazing self and it glorious to hear the drowning boos for his intro. James Drake was also there.
- The main event. Whoo boy. It was a MOTYC. The crowd, the storyline, the action all connected. Well, there were some parts near the end that kinda fell flat with me shenanigans with the belt and maybe a few excessive near falls but it was still an amazing contest that rewarded everyone who has followed OTT for the past year.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

BTF posted:

James Drake was also there.
The James Drake Story

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

frankenfreak posted:

The James Drake Story

He's no Charlie Sterling.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

:')

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

I was reminiscing about early PROGRESS recently and man, I miss Pollyanna and I'm still so sad that she got done dirty by BritWres as a whole.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/PW_Clash/status/1194722719717302274

superLINUS
Sep 28, 2005

"The real tragedy happened long before I came along"
Much as I’d like to dunk on the BritCops, this one - like Chaos - has nothing to do with THE DEATH OF BRITWRES.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
https://twitter.com/IPWUK/status/1195400421944283136

As always, gently caress Pete Dunne

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The absolute state of BritWres

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

didn't World Of Sport originally go off the air because WWF syndication was much cheaper?

Most of the oral histories of BritWres I've heard pick up after WoS was done and all they ever watched were WWF, WCW and whatever tapes they got their hands on.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
https://twitter.com/IPWUK/status/1195409496417480704

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

"BritWres Is Alive And Well. Thank WWE, Thank NXTUK"

gently caress Pete Dunne

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

coconono posted:

didn't World Of Sport originally go off the air because WWF syndication was much cheaper?

Most of the oral histories of BritWres I've heard pick up after WoS was done and all they ever watched were WWF, WCW and whatever tapes they got their hands on.

Ultimately WoS went off air because a new guy took over ITV and he thought wrestling was too dumb and low brow for that trash channel

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
There were a few reasons - Greg Dyke certainly felt that the traditional World of Sport sports were “too working class” and that’s why ITV cancelled that but wrestling carried on for a few years after since I think it still rated too highly for them to push it off at that point; wasn’t for a couple of years until they canned it.

Ratings had fallen though and certainly they were trying things to stabilise or improve them: Joint Promotions (owned by Max Crabtree, the one where Big Daddy was your top star) had an effective monopoly on the ITV wrestling slot until 1986 when they added in All Star Wrestling (where many people unhappy with the Crabtrees ended up like Kendo Nagasaki, Mark Rocco, Johnny Saint etc) and some WWF tapes to try and find a solution to the ratings problem. You can see a conscious change at that point; you start to get pre-match promos for the U.K. stuff, some (poo poo) gimmick matches etc but it didn’t work really. As with WCW people will say that it was inevitable that it would get cancelled but TV stations don’t tend to cancel successful things and if it was going to be successful then someone else would have picked it up.

TV going basically killed Joint Promotions overnight, All Star has built up some interest since their live gates increased as people wanted to see what would happen to the things they’d built up but it was temporary and then came the WWF boom in the early 90s which started the tribute shows that dominated British wrestling for 15 years and which sucked

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

"Too working class". God the '80s were such a mistake.

Still, got to give it to Brian Dixon, he's still promoting shows all these years later.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Margaret Thatcher didn't just kill the working class, she also set back the British wrestling industry for a generation in the process

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
I mean to be frank the WWF was going to kill it no matter what: Joint Promotions had made, well, absolutely no attempt to first the next big star after Big Daddy who was already old and barely mobile when he became top star, and by the late 80s had very little time left. The main difference between the UK and the parts of the world which managed to fend off WWF advances (Mexico and Japan primarily) other than the obvious thing of it being easier to flog cheap English language wrestling tapes to the UK than it is to non-English speaking countries is that really the scene in the UK was already very weak by the late 80s which made it ripe for a takeover. The other issue with the traditional companies is that it skewed very old: they hadn't done a good job of making and retaining young fans (perhaps because the top star was an horiffically uncool old fat man and everyone else, as good as they were technically, were very much white meat babyfaces), they hadn't run Wembley Arena in years by the end and were happy to stick to running reduced loops in small town halls and frankly when the WWF aired with big arena shows and bigger characters it made the Joint Promotions stuff especially look like it had aged 20 years overnight. Add in the big push by ITV executives in the mid 80s to move away from the more populist programmes that had been ITVs big thing since it was created towards stuff designed more to appeal to the middle classes and you have a perfect storm that led to British wrestling being off TV for a very long time.

The demand for wrestling was always there (WWF wouldn't have sold 80k tickets for Wembley if it wasn't): it just took a few generations for British promoters to find something that engaged with people again and then WWE signed everyone to kill it yet again.

superLINUS
Sep 28, 2005

IPW has been a basket case of a company since Edler sold it (and it wouldn’t have fared any better, in a different way, if he’d not sold).

They ran infrequently everywhere except a cold warehouse unit in Milton Keynes which, at its height, drew 150 for Pete Dunne vs Jimmy Havoc, and latterly had 50ish for a show with 3 NOAH wrestlers, and the same for a show which flew Janela in especially.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/WillOspreay/status/1196035384083283969?s=20 Ospreay trying to save BritWres/what's left of it

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

is someone able to explain the “britwres” is dead thing please

Yaramund
Jul 22, 2015

The face of a killer
in a ghostly design

the escape goat posted:

is someone able to explain the “britwres” is dead thing please

Britwres is just dead!

Wrestling in the UK and since we are also affected by things I will say Ireland too was really thriving for a few years where for real cheap you could see real great wrestlers in dream matches. I know OTT is Irish but like here you could often see Ospreay v Ricochet, Pete Dunne v Zack Sabre Jr and Scurrl v Matt Riddle and just a lot of great line ups from a ridiculous amount of upcoming and indie talent over here.

Eventually, a lot of the top guys started getting picked up by WWE, NJPW, ROH as would happen so things reshuffled and new people were being built up to replace the people that had gone to NXT and New Japan. While this is going on NXT UK became a thing (out of fear that a World of Sport revamp would establish a non-WWE base in the UK) and basically everybody that hadn't been already picked up by WWE or New Japan was given contracts and a number of indie promotions got into bed with WWE where they wouldn't run any shows that would compete with NXT UK.

There was a lot of scepticism but both WWE and the wrestlers that were signed all said they were free to retain prior commitments and continue to do things as normal just NXT would be a priority but still part-time thing and for a long time it was a part-time thing as WWE was afraid to pull the trigger until the 'threat' of World of Sport was real. That's why Pete Dunne, for example, was NXT UK champ for over two years with a handful of defences and it took them forever to introduce other NXT UK belts.

THEN tickets sales and general interest in NXT UK was collapsing because why would spend money to see people do WWE style matches for twice the price when you could see them have better and more fun matches at your local promotion. In response WWE changed their contracts to prevent people from working with 1) non-WWE affiliated indies 2) WWE having a say and preventing people from wrestling non-WWE wrestlers or associated people. Basically before in the indies, you could see who people who are currently signed to NXT UK wrestler New Japan /AEW/ROH and such and that was killed off. WWE also interfered and prevented ridiculous things like BSS continuing to wrestle in the promotions that they themselves part-own and such.

A lot of outrage happened and people called the NXT UK wrestlers sell-outs for killing the indie business and a lot of wrestlers like Dunne just called people whiny marks and such and that the business was better than ever. Unsurprisingly with NXTUK strangling the market the wrestling bubble burst, interest spiralled down, and basically every other week now a UK promotion is announcing it's last show. Hilariously the World of Sport show which was the reason for the creation of NXT UK was a huge bomb and overall bad forgettable product so all of this was done for no other reason that a bunch of people made some quick money at the expense of the industry collapsing.

That's not to say that all UK and Irish promotions will shut down or not have great matches but the bubble/hype is long gone and it's just kind of chugging along with the odd bright moment. Rev Pro that Ospreay mentions, for example, countered the NXTUK stuff by basically becoming the UK home for New Japan instead. And I don't know how they do it but OTT manages to balance a relationship with both WWE and New Japan.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

What is there to explain?

Promotions are closing left right and centre, choices are narrowing down or disappearing entirely if you want to go and see decent live wrestling without having to travel halfway across the country.

Chris Brookes putting on weird vanity shows with his mates is the only 'new' thing going on and that's nowhere near enough to outweigh the volume of wrestling disappearing.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yaramund posted:

And I don't know how they do it but OTT manages to balance a relationship with both WWE and New Japan.

I can't remember if it was here or twitter but I hear someone describe OTT as like a Wrestling Casablanca or Tortuga, which I thought was really apt

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

Chris James 2 posted:

"BritWres Is Alive And Well. Thank WWE, Thank NXTUK"

gently caress Pete Dunne

https://twitter.com/PeteDunneYxB/status/1196111912569835520

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

appreciate the write up, as an American I don’t have a real grasp on the English scene since I only keep up with RevPro and Riptide (and since I have to travel 170+ miles to get to the closest decent local indies my distance perception is a bit warped, I imagine being on a more densely populated island is absolutely a different experience) and even all that travel doesn’t get big names unless someone randomly decides “yeah, sure, I’ll check out the Pacific Northwest” as Seattle (closest draw) or Portland aren’t really a thrill.

Thankfully we’re getting a show at the end of the month that features Jimmy Havoc, Meiko Satomura and El Phantasmo.
New Japan’s Super J-Cup came over here in August and we all collectively lost our loving minds with joy.

the escape goat fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Nov 18, 2019

superLINUS
Sep 28, 2005

As someone who goes to ~50 shows a year, I can tell you BritWres is very much NOT dead.

Some context: even at its height, British Wrestling did not draw well, relatively speaking. That’s due to a few reasons, mostly down to a busy schedule giving lots of opportunities to see the same stars and often the same feuds at your local hall, rather than gathering fans from all over for big events.

Then, when TV died, BritWres became a local touring affair, with some regional outliers, and crowds could be anywhere from 50 to 2000 for bigger towns.

Indy wrestling in the U.K. only really happened 20 years ago, and had its ups and downs over that period, with some solid periods of good four-figure crowds balanced out with double-figure bombscares.

The current “boom” took off in 2014-2015, with PROGRESS selling out the 700-seater Ballroom and ICW doing comparable crowds in Glasgow. RevPro would do 1000 with a good Japanese import, and the rest was mostly small, regional indies (and PCW & IPW-UK, hangovers from a previous era with variable draws).

PROGRESS and ICW presented a fresh take on BritWres - cool characters in rock venues, and that set off a chain. Imitators sprung up, and more regional indies appeared, often doing 500 crowds on good days.

Then NXT-UK happened, and we had 2 years on in-out bullshit, where the signed guys could work some places, couldn’t work others, and we’re restricted as to who they could work and who they could lose to. It sucked. But still, things went along as before, and there were even some fantastic crowds drawn at the Hydro in Glasgow and Wembley & Brixton in London, but these were very much big, one-off things, and regular crowds were always <1000, even for the “big” companies (and often only with name imports).

In the past year, half a dozen companies have stopped promoting. Of these, possibly only Defiant could claim that NXT-UK was a major factor, and that was partly because their own stars weren’t a draw. The others have shut down for a variety of reasons that were not cop-related.

BritWres is healthy. There are still at least a dozen shows every weekend, and next Sunday sees four or five big ones on the same, including 2 in the same city. Even excluding NXT-UK, there are still more full-time wrestlers than at any time in the last 30 years, and chances are that there’s a cool show somewhere near you this weekend. You should go.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

PCW still kicking around after the charity debacle is heartening.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/RIPTIDEwres/status/1198263232097599488

Card for the show was:

First round matches of the tag tournament:
Chris Brookes and Daniel Makabe vs Kurtis Chapman and Rob Lias
Besties in the World (Davey Vega and Mat Fitchett) vs Escaping the Midcard (Chuck Mambo and TK Cooper)
Medusa Complex (Charli Evans and Millie McKenzie) vs Kody Lane and Shane Sabre
The Rascalz (Dezmond Xavier and Zachary Wentz) vs Connor Mills and the OJMO

Non-tournament matches:
Paul Robinson vs Tate Mayfairs
Speedball Mike Bailey vs Jordon Breaks
Big Swole vs Chakara
Su Yung vs Cara Noir in a no-DQ match

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Yesssss I can’t wait to see that Big Swole/Chakara match. From what people were saying about it after the show, it was a career-making performance from Chakara, who I’ve always loved.