Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Asus released a new BIOS for the B450-I a couple days ago and of course it doesn't have the new AGESA 1004. What's the dang point for a new BIOS right now without it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Balliver Shagnasty posted:

Can X470 even handle a 3950X? I thought the 3900X was the upper limit of what the VRMs on most X470 boards could tolerate without melting down.

I'm on X370, but I always buy top end boards with top end VRMs. In this case I'm on the Asrock X370 Fatality Gaming Pro which should be just fine. Anything with 6*2 phases should be OK. Usually only found on the top end lines though.

Spiderdrake posted:

There's a long analysis here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1d9_E3h8bLp-TXr-0zTJFqqVxdCR9daIVNyMatydkpFA/edit#gid=611478281
It's a little hit or miss, and is missing some granularity (I kinda think handles and handles well are different, you know?) but yeah X470 has some good ones and some bad ones.

This is a great resource thanks! :cheers:

mfny
Aug 17, 2008
Got the stuff for the Ryzen (5,3600) upgrade today.

Quick temp question.. 35 DegC at idle and 60 - 65 DegC when at main menu and in a match of COD:Modern Warfare(2019) for about 10 mins. This is with standard Wraith cooler, standard CPU fan profile for motherboard and case side panels off. Is this ok ?

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal

mfny posted:

Got the stuff for the Ryzen (5,3600) upgrade today.

Quick temp question.. 35 DegC at idle and 60 - 65 DegC when at main menu and in a match of COD:Modern Warfare(2019) for about 10 mins. This is with standard Wraith cooler, standard CPU fan profile for motherboard and case side panels off. Is this ok ?
Yes. And put your side panels back on.

mfny
Aug 17, 2008

Sneeze Party posted:

Yes. And put your side panels back on.

Expecting more changes to happen tomorrow with system when more fans arrive. So am lazy and don't want to put side panels on to take em off again tomorrow.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
I recently put together a Ryzen 3600 and an Asrock x570 Phantom Gaming 4 and it's a really awesome system, and overall just great value.

I have a question regarding boost clocks, and apologies if this is the weekly topic, but I can't really get anything worthwhile from Google.

On Intel systems, I'm used to just setting the turbo multiplier at whatever and seeing if it's stable under load.

On the Phantom Gaming 4, you can do this, but then the system never reduces clocks at idle. I tried this at 4.2 GHz and it's completely stable under load at around 1.39V. If I rely on PBO, it will use the same voltage and run at the same temperature, but clock down close to 4.0 GHz. Is there any way to manually set the boost clock and still have the adaptive power states?

The CPU is under a Noctua DH-15 so the temperatures are not getting out of control.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

Icept posted:

I recently put together a Ryzen 3600 and an Asrock x570 Phantom Gaming 4 and it's a really awesome system, and overall just great value.

I have a question regarding boost clocks, and apologies if this is the weekly topic, but I can't really get anything worthwhile from Google.

On Intel systems, I'm used to just setting the turbo multiplier at whatever and seeing if it's stable under load.

On the Phantom Gaming 4, you can do this, but then the system never reduces clocks at idle. I tried this at 4.2 GHz and it's completely stable under load at around 1.39V. If I rely on PBO, it will use the same voltage and run at the same temperature, but clock down close to 4.0 GHz. Is there any way to manually set the boost clock and still have the adaptive power states?

The CPU is under a Noctua DH-15 so the temperatures are not getting out of control.

I don't know your mobo, but on my Asus x470 it's either force a multiplier or auto auto auto. There really isn't anything to gain by trying to manually overclock the 3600 either. Tweak, OC your RAM, set your fan curves and just enjoy.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/1usmus-custom-power-plan-for-ryzen-3000-zen-2-processors/2.html
Got me a lot closer to 144 fps at 1480p in Borderlands 3

Standing still I get the max my monitor can do (frame capped on gsync) and during action only dips 20fps or so. It's boosted it ~30-40fps for me. I dunno if the motherboard settings helped or the power plan.. I wasn't able to find 2 of the settings.

As an update to this.. windows is pushing a new power plan update as part of windows update, 1usmus said to try uninstall AMD chipset drivers update windows and then reinstall chipset drivers.

I still gain a few percent gain on his power plan, it doesn't idle as low though. I may reinstall park control and use his plan for a system load and the new windows ryzen plan for idle.

Also Directx 12 doesn't seem utterly broken on borderlands anymore and nets me much FPS on my new modern system.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Best Ryzen 3600+ Mini-ITX?

1. There are a lot of Ryzen motherboards, but the only ones that support a 3000 series processor are either a CPU-less flashable B450 or a X570 board

2. There are no CPU-less flashable B450 boards that are Mini-ITX

3. There are only 3 X570 boards that are Mini-ITX. They are as follows:
3a. ASUS ROG Strix X570-I https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-ROG-Strix-X570-I-Gaming/dp/B07Y2PZTQ5
3b. Gigabyte X570 I AORUS https://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-X570-AORUS-DisplayPort-Motherboard/dp/B07T9PC9ZZ/
3c. ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming-ITX https://www.amazon.com/X570-Phantom-Gaming-ITX-TB3-Thunderbolt/dp/B07VXYYG7F/

4. The ASRock has Thunderbolt 3 which is nice but it uses Intel mounting holes, so you can't use the cooler that comes with the Ryzen processor, so lol

5. The Gigabyte is Gigabyte, so I assume there are issues with reliability?

6. The ASUS is the most expensive, but at least should be more reliable than the Gigabyte?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

It bears repeating, but it's only old stock motherboards that dont work with Zen2 out of the box. I don't know what etailers shelves look like, especially with regards to ITX boards, but it's not like they're 100% guaranteed to not work.

You can also pick up a 2200g or somesuch at the same time and just return it.

Conartist
Aug 15, 2004

Icept posted:

On an Asrock motherboard, you need to adjust P-States in order to allow the CPU to reach higher turbo speeds while still allowing clocks to reduce at idle. It's a different process in a different menu.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Don't bother fiddling around with Ryzen clocks, let it do its stock thing (no PBO) and put your effort into setting up the memory tight.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

The United States posted:

1. There are a lot of Ryzen motherboards, but the only ones that support a 3000 series processor are either a CPU-less flashable B450 or a X570 board

2. There are no CPU-less flashable B450 boards that are Mini-ITX

3. There are only 3 X570 boards that are Mini-ITX. They are as follows:
3a. ASUS ROG Strix X570-I https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-ROG-Strix-X570-I-Gaming/dp/B07Y2PZTQ5
3b. Gigabyte X570 I AORUS https://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-X570-AORUS-DisplayPort-Motherboard/dp/B07T9PC9ZZ/
3c. ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming-ITX https://www.amazon.com/X570-Phantom-Gaming-ITX-TB3-Thunderbolt/dp/B07VXYYG7F/

4. The ASRock has Thunderbolt 3 which is nice but it uses Intel mounting holes, so you can't use the cooler that comes with the Ryzen processor, so lol

5. The Gigabyte is Gigabyte, so I assume there are issues with reliability?

6. The ASUS is the most expensive, but at least should be more reliable than the Gigabyte?

Gigabyte have consistently been the first to deliver new agesa versions via bios updates, which is a pretty good thing for 3rd gen Ryzen.

The memory traces on the asrock are interrupted by miscellaneous components, but looks decent otherwise.

Fwiw my gigabyte is pretty good with memory overclocks and has been problem free.

I havent read much about Asus, but it looks neat. It wasn't available here when I bought mine.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Gigabyte have consistently been the first to deliver new agesa versions via bios updates, which is a pretty good thing for 3rd gen Ryzen.

The memory traces on the asrock are interrupted by miscellaneous components, but looks decent otherwise.

Fwiw my gigabyte is pretty good with memory overclocks and has been problem free.

I havent read much about Asus, but it looks neat. It wasn't available here when I bought mine.
I ask because I've read bad things about the Gigabyte x570 BIOS Updates but at least it sounds like they're at least recoverable.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

sauer kraut posted:

Don't bother fiddling around with Ryzen clocks, let it do its stock thing (no PBO) and put your effort into setting up the memory tight.

:hmmyes:

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Speaking of, I have some changed timings I forgot to flip on, what's a good benchmark to see what difference they made? Guess the Heaven benchmark might work? I hate no having a decent go-to benchmark.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I ask because I've read bad things about the Gigabyte x570 BIOS Updates but at least it sounds like they're at least recoverable.

I'm surprised only one user with that board posted in there, if it's widespread.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

I'm surprised only one user with that board posted in there, if it's widespread.
It's a couple of people complaining, but it's really about the 570-E, and the second person is complaining more about the bios flashing. It's hard to gauge anything about how "widespread" anything is because there's just so little discussion about the mini-ITX versions of these things, so it's always about the bigger versions/manufacturers in general.

Ok, pulling the trigger on it then, I hope I can remove the backplate ok.

mfny
Aug 17, 2008
Ok so Ryzen is hot and weird as hell temp wise, is this a known thing ?

Very light load (Downloading large game via Steam) with what I think is a sane CPU fan profile (see screenshot here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/vzwu3UQoVGd6KbU39 ) in MSI Command Centre CPU temp as reported in Ryzen Master is 45c. Stress test(CPU/Mem) for 60 seconds in Ryzen Master temps get to a toasty 80c. But as the Wraith cooler is not a horrible banshee at its max RPM and I don't see any throttling I assume I am all good ?

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
CPU's can run hotter than they used to, and throttle intelligently enough to not melt down. Seems a little hot. Does it act this way when you use all default ryzen settings?

mfny
Aug 17, 2008

LRADIKAL posted:

CPU's can run hotter than they used to, and throttle intelligently enough to not melt down. Seems a little hot. Does it act this way when you use all default ryzen settings?

This is with a default profile in Ryzen Master, the only thing not default is the fan curve in the MSI Control Center which I tried to tune..

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Those temps seem perfectly fine for the stock cooler.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Ok, pulling the trigger on it then, I hope I can remove the backplate ok.

Is it incompatible with your case? I removed mine ok.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

ItBreathes posted:

It bears repeating, but it's only old stock motherboards that dont work with Zen2 out of the box. I don't know what etailers shelves look like, especially with regards to ITX boards, but it's not like they're 100% guaranteed to not work.

You can also pick up a 2200g or somesuch at the same time and just return it.
Yeah I just built an ITX system with a friend and he went for the Asus Strix B450-I Gaming with a 3700X and we were prepared to order a 2200G or the AMD kit, but it worked out of the box, the BIOS was a version from June, a few releases after initial Ryzen 3000 support. Even turning on Not-XMP for the DDR4-3600 just worked.

It's too bad the stock cooler doesn't fit into the Dan A4 because the RGB :catdrugs: were funny when we set everything up on a table to test if the BIOS worked.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

WHAT

And then I remembered how much of a bitch it was to find a TR4 cooler and also the one I have--the Noctua, I think, is going to gently caress me tomorrow because it doesn't fit in my 4u case that I need to rackmount so maybe this isn't an awful idea.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

mfny posted:

Very light load (Downloading large game via Steam) with what I think is a sane CPU fan profile (see screenshot here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/vzwu3UQoVGd6KbU39 ) in MSI Command Centre CPU temp as reported in Ryzen Master is 45c. Stress test(CPU/Mem) for 60 seconds in Ryzen Master temps get to a toasty 80c. But as the Wraith cooler is not a horrible banshee at its max RPM and I don't see any throttling I assume I am all good ?

My Ryzen 2600 runs about 5-10 degrees cooler running on Windows Balanced. If I use Ryzen Balanced the clock speed is at max the whole time and never slows down. This is with the stock cooler.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Nov 16, 2019

mfny
Aug 17, 2008
Ok so the temps, CPU fan speed and CPU utilization relationship is giving me a bit of a headache now

Right now Ryzen master is reporting temps of up to 50c at Idle, with 3% CPU usage per windows task manager(but also windows task manager is saying CPU is at 4ghz+ ?, Master is saying all cores are sub 1ghz) on a fresh start of system this idle is 35c but what happens is once I get the CPU all fired up it struggles to get down to idle temps again once things die down..

Also because the temp of the CPU varies so wildly based on load this makes making a sane fan curve that is not distracting(i.e does not have lurching speeds up and down) a huge pain.

So yes, while in normal use nothing is actually throttling or showing any instability at all the above is soooo confusing. I miss when CPUs when stressed they simply got hot and the higher the clock speed and/or vcore the hotter they got..

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Your temperatures are perfectly fine and 100% normal for this CPU, comparing them to a 2600 is silly. Temperatures varying a great deal while idle is also normal. Stop worrying and enjoy your PC.

Make a fan curve where the fan spins at a constant speed up to like 70° and only turn it up after that and increase the hysteresis/step down time. You don't need to react to every temperature variance.

This is how mine is set up:

Lambert fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Nov 16, 2019

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

mfny posted:

Lambert is 100% correct. And from experience, downloading from Steam is not a particularly light load, used to max a core on my 3570 because there can be some heavy decompression/decryp/av work happening on the DL.

There's a whole lot going on with Zen2 is that causes the temps to look weird if you're new to the platform. The aggressive core boosting and parking, the smaller physical dies, and monitoring software differences all contribute. I spent all summer going down the rabbit hole, but really. Just relax and enjoy the best gaming value in YEARS! 85% the gaming performance for 25% cost of a 3950X!

3600/NH-D15/PrimeX470Pro/22c ambient - I'm running all my fans at ~650rpm because it doesn't cool any better if I turn them up, leading me to think the die>IHS is the weakest link in the cooling stack. Gaming is in the 50c range, and I'll see 75-80 if I run an aggressive synthetic stress test.

Here's what my temps look like while watching a youtube vid and shitposting this:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

My 3600x idles around 35 C on the stock cooler and will surge up to 48 c or so if something in the background is happening.

Not sure what it runs at under load because it throttles back fast enough tabbing out to check that by the time I get back to Ryzen Master it's down to 45 C again (and I"m too lazy to get something else to log results), but it seems fine.

I got Assassin's Creed Odyssey and it has a temp monitor for the GPU (my RTX 2070 tops out at 64 C), but not for the CPU. Woulda been nice if they included that in the hud.

mfny
Aug 17, 2008
Dropped using MSI Command Centre, uninstalled it even as it was just doing weird poo poo. Tried setting fan curves and speed in BIOS instead which has much more features then the Command Centre, using Ryzen Master to monitor temp and HWMonitor to monitor fan speed now... will see how it goes.

monsterzero posted:

Lambert is 100% correct. And from experience, downloading from Steam is not a particularly light load, used to max a core on my 3570 because there can be some heavy decompression/decryp/av work happening on the DL.

There's a whole lot going on with Zen2 is that causes the temps to look weird if you're new to the platform. The aggressive core boosting and parking, the smaller physical dies, and monitoring software differences all contribute. I spent all summer going down the rabbit hole, but really. Just relax and enjoy the best gaming value in YEARS! 85% the gaming performance for 25% cost of a 3950X!

3600/NH-D15/PrimeX470Pro/22c ambient - I'm running all my fans at ~650rpm because it doesn't cool any better if I turn them up, leading me to think the die>IHS is the weakest link in the cooling stack. Gaming is in the 50c range, and I'll see 75-80 if I run an aggressive synthetic stress test.

Here's what my temps look like while watching a youtube vid and shitposting this:

Zen2 doing what it does power/thermal management wise is probably why I am confused yes. I am used to CPU's being pretty dumb.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Crunchy Black posted:

WHAT

And then I remembered how much of a bitch it was to find a TR4 cooler and also the one I have--the Noctua, I think, is going to gently caress me tomorrow because it doesn't fit in my 4u case that I need to rackmount so maybe this isn't an awful idea.

So I was posting earlier this board has weird memory traces with bs components mixed in, but

quote:

When it comes to memory clock stability, the ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming ITX outshines all other ASRock X570 boards I have used so far. XMP was perfectly stable, and I was able to get up to 4266 MHz without touching voltages on my T-Force Extreem kit
Obviously they have well picked components, but still. That's good.
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/asrock-x570-phantom-gaming-itx-tb3/14.html

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

My 3600x idles around 35 C on the stock cooler and will surge up to 48 c or so if something in the background is happening.

Not sure what it runs at under load because it throttles back fast enough tabbing out to check that by the time I get back to Ryzen Master it's down to 45 C again (and I"m too lazy to get something else to log results), but it seems fine.

I got Assassin's Creed Odyssey and it has a temp monitor for the GPU (my RTX 2070 tops out at 64 C), but not for the CPU. Woulda been nice if they included that in the hud.

As long as the the throttling doesn't affect the game then it means it's ok right? If your fans are running at a consistent speed then I think I'd just trust the system to keep itself working.

Apr 7, 2003

Mu Zeta posted:

As long as the the throttling doesn't affect the game then it means it's ok right? If your fans are running at a consistent speed then I think I'd just trust the system to keep itself working.

It all seems fine to me. The system is smart enough to throttle if it has to.

I've noted that moving up to my motherboard's newer BIOS (MSI X570 MPG Gaming Edge Wifi) shitcans my performance so I've been keeping it at a July BIOS and it's been fine. Whatever. No reason to fix what isn't broken.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Any short temperature peaking during idle to light loads is Precision Boost. Just hope your mainboard has time constants for the fan curves, so you can smooth that poo poo away.

If you log it with some tool, you should see some sawtooth pattern in the temp graph.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Buildzoid was rambling on about the TRX40 Aorus Extreme, and holy gently caress, that's some oversized E-ATX board. It wouldn't even fit in my H700 case. Hope the others went less overboard.

Apr 7, 2003

Combat Pretzel posted:

Buildzoid was rambling on about the TRX40 Aorus Extreme, and holy gently caress, that's some oversized E-ATX board. It wouldn't even fit in my H700 case. Hope the others went less overboard.

I recycled my Antec P280 for this build. Pretty cool to have a case that's 90% empty

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Combat Pretzel posted:

Board is $850+, the cheapest CPU the board supports costs $1399. I think the answer you would get from Giga about that issue is "buy a new case"

Speaking of TR, videocardz is saying again that the review embargo has been pushed. Both TR 3000 and Cascade Lake X will have reviews launch at the same time on 11/25, apparently.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Oh, there's actually prices now? Is there a list of what the other boards cost?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Combat Pretzel posted:

Oh, there's actually prices now? Is there a list of what the other boards cost?

Not officially, but as per usual, the board vendors have spilled everything early in Asia and pretty much every board has already been torn apart on Japanese/Chinese/Taiwanese/Vietnamese websites before embargo. The normal East Asia leakers like @momomo_us on twitter have been postin em.

It is hard to pinpoint due to conversion, but it looks like the average board is about $100 more expensive than last cycle, which I guess matches X570's increase. The truly high end boards, like the Aorus Extreme and Zenith II Extreme are gonna be straight up eyewatering in price though. Considering Giga wants $700 for the Aorus Extreme X570 (which uses cheaper Aquantia 10gbe LAN, too), I guess $850 is right in line for TR$ :v: