Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
She can dunk on the mental midget in charge all she wants, she's still a loving ghoul who is committed to watching the world burn for all of us rather than make any meaningful policy change

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

maffew buildings posted:

She can dunk on the mental midget in charge all she wants, she's still a loving ghoul who is committed to watching the world burn for all of us rather than make any meaningful policy change

Yeah, all she's doing is telling Nero that his fiddle is out of tune.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Yuuuup.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
Poor Nero. Dude got a bad rap for no reason.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Convicted Felon Roger Stone

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
This thing feels like it's accelerating. It keeps feeling like that's impossible, but the crazy poo poo keeps going.

https://twitter.com/ScottMStedman/status/1195523633571078144

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp
The man knows how to read a room, I guess.
https://twitter.com/CoreyRobin/status/1195511186978168832

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
lmfao

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Flying_Crab posted:

:barf:

Of all the poo poo things Trump has done, this is one of the worst on an absolute scale of immorality and being hosed up.

Our military only has the finest war criminals, doing the best war crimes!

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

lol barry you establishment hack

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

That gently caress. What the gently caress happened to him? Did he really get corrupted by all the money after the book deals and speaking arrangement fees? What the poo poo.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Nothing happened to him.

He's always been like that, we just never listened.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

hes always been that way, his strategy was always best as an incrementalist

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

maffew buildings posted:

Fister Roboto posted:

Yeah, all she's doing is telling Nero that his fiddle is out of tune.

Yeah, if she really cared about the poo poo Trump does she should do something meaningful like impeach him.

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

hes always been that way, his strategy was always best as an incrementalist

This is a typo, but that's right. He did his best work as an incrementalist. I liked working for him because of it. He didn't throw out some magic thinking bullshit and blame his underlings when it all fell apart like every goddamn officer I served under. When real life happened, he dealt with it.

He probably took a good look a the the M4A plans out there and shook his head. And no wonder. I take a look at them, think about the tasks that'll come down to me about implementing them, and come close to making GBS threads myself. Images of Afghan and Iraqi rebuilding run through my head. "The people are crying out for healthcare! After the statues topple, it'll all sort itself out, because of destiny or some poo poo."

You know how the Army Corps of Engineers let out contracts and then stand around jerking off? Same thing with the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services. The second richest agency in the federal government has 6,000 employees to work with $1 trillion dollars a year. That's right. A measly brigade worth of people handling 16% of the federal budget, paying for the healthcare for hundreds of millions of people.

But not really. There's another 40,000 contractors doing the dirty work. National Government Services. Novitas. Wisconsin Physicians Service Government Health Administrators. Beltway bandits and health insurance companies split up the spoils right now. If you flip the switch to a national health service, where the gently caress are you going to find the people and organization to make it happen?

Can you imagine the chaos as these assholes run wild after the government invasion of the healthcare sector? Of course you can. You all saw the shrink-wrapped pallets of hundred dollar bills carted off of C-130s and then disappear into the wilds.

Warren backing off and taking a second look gives me the only sliver of hope. This poo poo needs to be done right. And that takes time, planning, work, and people. The M4A bills out there now don't have any of that. All they've got are money and ideas. :jerkbag:

DAS Super!
Jul 26, 2007
You should probably pay more attention to your log.
/
:backtowork:

Ceiling fan posted:

Warren backing off and taking a second look gives me the only sliver of hope. This poo poo needs to be done right. And that takes time, planning, work, and people. The M4A bills out there now don't have any of that. All they've got are money and ideas. :jerkbag:

You mean the sanders bill that has 1 piece of legislation that has to pass, that has a transition phase of 3 years. While the Warren plan has 2 pieces of legislation that has to pass in between a mid -term election?

The Warren plan pretty much says: I don't really want to do this but it might hoodwink some leftist into voting for me for my second term after I disenfranchise them with a poo poo public option that will fail.

Sanders Plan: We're going to do this poo poo. And Ill use budget reconcilation to do it with 51 votes.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Ceiling fan posted:

He probably took a good look a the the M4A plans out there and shook his head. And no wonder. I take a look at them, think about the tasks that'll come down to me about implementing them, and come close to making GBS threads myself. Images of Afghan and Iraqi rebuilding run through my head. "The people are crying out for healthcare! After the statues topple, it'll all sort itself out, because of destiny or some poo poo."

An insight from a reporter that more or less sums up your outlook: Do you think you can get 50 Democratic Senators to vote in Medicare for All, if Democrats take the Senate in 2020? I don't think so, so as much as I think M4A is good, it's a pipe dream because a Manchin will always hold it up. Not to mention that M4A-style candidates aren't selling at the countrywide level, last I saw, it costs about 5%-ish at the polls.

quote:

But on the other hand, you can't take the stance of BETTER THINGS AREN'T POSSIBLE!!11!1 because that poo poo's dumb and Bideney. The Warren stance of Public Option Now (which Dems didn't even support in '09), M4A in a few years splits the difference. You can absolutely look at that and think that Warren's going to renege on the M4A part, and you might be right. But at least there's the Public Option as the immediate takehome.

Not to mention that Presidents proposing this poo poo is inherently dumb anyways, as Congress initiates it all anyways. Sure a President could drag Congress into it, but that can be iffy.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

facialimpediment posted:

An insight from a reporter that more or less sums up your outlook: Do you think you can get 50 Democratic Senators to vote in Medicare for All, if Democrats take the Senate in 2020? I don't think so, so as much as I think M4A is good, it's a pipe dream because a Manchin will always hold it up. Not to mention that M4A-style candidates aren't selling at the countrywide level, last I saw, it costs about 5%-ish at the polls.

One thing I'm wondering is if she straight-up doesn't think she can get it past 50 votes in the Senate, and is planning on punting it past the midterms (and after over a year and a half of the buy-in being implemented, proving the country didn't explode) to give herself a better margin in the Senate, giving (hopefully) PA, FL, WI, IA, and NC all a chance to flip D.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Acebuckeye13 posted:

One thing I'm wondering is if she straight-up doesn't think she can get it past 50 votes in the Senate, and is planning on punting it past the midterms (and after over a year and a half of the buy-in being implemented, proving the country didn't explode) to give herself a better margin in the Senate, giving (hopefully) PA, FL, WI, IA, and NC all a chance to flip D.

asking for the effort of voting twice in 2 years is like asking for a quiet table during groupon season though

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I don't think she's thinking that long-term yet (but could be wrong). I think this is a Union play.

Biden's running as strong as he is because Unions absolutely do not want M4A loving with their hard-earned/bargained healthcare. They've developed a real Trumpy-ish FuckYouGotMineism about anything close to a whiff of the abolishment of private insurance. That's also why Buttigieg jettisoned any/all of his M4A talk too in a naked play for the squishy center that's propping up Biden.

Bernie's dead right in all of his positions. He's dead wrong about any of them getting done in the Senate.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Bored As gently caress posted:

That gently caress. What the gently caress happened to him? Did he really get corrupted by all the money after the book deals and speaking arrangement fees? What the poo poo.

He was always like this; you just had to have your brain worms removed after Nov 2016. It's tough, but it will make you feel less lovely in the end.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

realizing in 2009 that I despised Obama more than my arch-conservative homeschooling co-worker for exactly the opposite reasons was a real wake up call that Marx was right.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

shame on an IGA posted:

realizing in 2009 that I despised Obama more than my arch-conservative homeschooling co-worker for exactly the opposite reasons was a real wake up call that Marx was right.

quote:

When communist artisans associate with one another, theory, propaganda, etc., is their first end. But at the same time, as a result of this association, they acquire a new need — the need for society — and what appears as a means becomes an end. ... the brotherhood of man is no mere phrase with them, but a fact of life, and the nobility of man shines upon us from their work-hardened bodies.

Marx, Human Needs & the division of Labour (1844)

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/reductress/status/1195416376212643840?s=21

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Hot

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

https://twitter.com/chinfo/status/1195500836673196033

Am I reading this right? They restored his pay grade but not his rank?

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

E-7 is a pay grade. Chief is a rank. He got fully restored.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Smiling Jack posted:

Am I reading the tone right? They seem like they are saying this through gritted teeth. Like the purpose of the tweet was to convey the tone, not the information.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

This is sad

https://twitter.com/andrewyang/status/1195520687286308864?s=21

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

colachute posted:

Am I reading the tone right? They seem like they are saying this through gritted teeth. Like the purpose of the tweet was to convey the tone, not the information.

p much

gently caress trump

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYrlDlrLDSQ

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Smiling Jack posted:

It's basically a subtle dis because Marine and Navy NCOs get real uptight about being addressed by their full rank.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Flying_Crab posted:

It's basically a subtle dis because Marine and Navy NCOs get real uptight about being addressed by their full rank.

So is there anything stopping the military from just deploying him to some rear end end of alaska collecting penguin sperm until he quits? Or is he already out he just gets retirement benefits?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Where's Reagan buried? I have vacation days saved up.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
Between book deals and Fox News appearances there's no economic reason to stay in. :smith:

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I *think* he still has his retirement nixed, because like sheriff Joe he's still a convicted felon. But I can't recall where he was in the judicial process, and can't recall if the UCMJ allows pardons like this normally.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

please clap :smith:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

So, looking here:

https://www.militarylawdefense.com/practice-areas/presidential-pardon-for-federal-military-conviction/

Yields this.

quote:

A petitioner requesting Presidential Pardon of a court-martial conviction must submit the petition directly to the Secretary of the military department that had original jurisdiction in case. A Presidential Pardon of a military conviction will not change the character of a military discharge. To change the characterization of your discharge a petition must be made to the appropriate military authority.

and

quote:

A Presidential Pardon will restore various rights lost as a result of the Federal/Military conviction and should lessen, to some extent, the stigma arising from a conviction, it will not erase or expunge the record of your conviction. Therefore, even if you are granted a Presidential Pardon, you must still disclose your Federal/Military conviction on any form where such information is required – although you may also disclose the fact that you received a Presidential Pardon. In addition, most civil disabilities of a Federal/Military felony conviction, such as the loss of the right to vote and to hold state public office, are imposed by the state rather than federal law, and therefore may be removed by state action.

Also, more in general on being a felon:

https://people.howstuffworks.com/can-felon-own-gun-in-united-states.htm

quote:

Lest you think Section 922(g) is too lenient, however, read on: It also bans guns for (among others) fugitives, illegal users of controlled substances, mental defectives, illegal aliens,dishonorably discharged soldiers, renounced citizens, subjects of certain court orders and persons convicted of misdemeanor domestic violence. Violating these statutes can net you 10 years of imprisonment and/or a $250,000 fine [source: Rhode Island Probation].

But none of that matters, because Gallagher only got sentenced to 4 months and demoted 1 rank (only convicted on 1 charge, out of 7: "wrongfully pos[ing] for an unofficial picture with a human casualty".) He didn't even get an OTH discharge, so he's free to get on the gun-grift circuit.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eddie_Gallagher_(Navy_SEAL)#Court_martial_result

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Vasudus posted:

I *think* he still has his retirement nixed, because like sheriff Joe he's still a convicted felon. But I can't recall where he was in the judicial process, and can't recall if the UCMJ allows pardons like this normally.
Gallagher never had his retirement nixed.
Retirement pay depends on characterization of discharge. Gallagher wasn't discharged as part of his sentence. Reduction in rank was his only punishment. Felony convictions have no impact on retirement pay, except in limited circumstances involving disloyalty to the nation - here's the list.
As part of the Federal government, presidential pardons cover the military.
Even if Gallagher had been convicted under a statute that took away his retirement, a pardon restores retirement pay lost under that statute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Ah piss. Guess I didn't follow that particular story as close as I thought.