Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
When you’re American you see American as no accent. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

my reaction to the chef was "wow this guy gained weight lol" :smug::hf::downs:

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

Bogart posted:

When you’re American you see American as no accent. :colbert:

Bull, there are tons of accents and dialects from around the country. Heavy Southern accent will always make someone sound like they were dropped a few times as a baby, no matter how obviously intelligent the speaker may be. Then there are the Midwesterners (generally farm folk) who wish they had a Southern accent, but end up sounding even stupider.

I've decided on replaying Mooncrash instead of buying a new game, can't wait to bum rush everything with an upgraded Janitor!

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Um us Midwesterners actually sound angelic

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I think accent perception is really a personal thing. "New Yorker"/"Bostonite" are my default "dumb" accents when I hear 'em. Or like many people see British accents as inherently smart, but I think I've watched too many British comedies because I tend to think of them as a bit dense, particularly using the babytalk slang they have for so many things. Either way, it's clearly a bad metric to judge anyone by.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

Hey now, I didn't say all Midwesterners, it's just really apparent in small town Iowa or Nebraska. Bostonite accents aren't too common around here but they are a rare special treat.

Cockney is loving hilarious and makes people sound like regular duster huffers. Top notch A+ accent.

But yeah, don't judge anyone by their accent.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Okay, so the mooncrash timer is not oppressive but it's also not good. They should have just added triggers for higher corruption in the game instead. Each section you visit and each escape ups the corruption for instance. As it is now I largely ignore the timer itself, but the presence of a timer makes me rush more than I'd like. Moon shark can also eat a dick. It's balanced to the point that it's not really worth fighting normally so I used to just sprint through the crater and emp the typhon gates and now I just start every game with some tentacle grenades so I can insta-kill that idiot. I kinda like it now, prepping for enemies brings back some nethack feelings, but I think you run into it too early so you develop a hatred for it before you figure out your options. It needed to be deeper into a run.

I just gained access to the security officer's story so I can unlock the janitor. I'm enjoying it but it's also disappointing. It's a really good proof of concept and makes me want something else like it, but between the Prey combat and some bad balancing decisions I'm not completely sold on this specific iteration.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I don't normally like timers in games, but I liked Mooncrash a lot. Because of the (purposefully) repetitive nature of the game, you can get a feel for the layout of the base across several runs, and the game eases you into things by increasing the time pressure, the difficulty, and the number of other things to keep track of as the game goes. It didn't leave me feeling like I didn't have time to explore and look around, because things start off pretty generously, runs are fast, and you have as many runs as you want.

So by the time things hit maximum pressure, I had a good feel for the place and the challenge was planning and optimizing routes to objectives. I really liked frantically running around and improvising solutions on the fly when something wasn't as expected.

I liked Void Bastards for the same reason. The oxygen supply and constantly-spawning enemies capped the time you could spend on a ship before things got too dangerous, but you're given a map, and important features and special loot are in predictable places in a given ship so it's about getting in and getting out as fast as you can. And if things get too hairy and you have to bail, it's okay because there will always be more ships to loot.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Phigs posted:

Okay, so the mooncrash timer is not oppressive but it's also not good. They should have just added triggers for higher corruption in the game instead. Each section you visit and each escape ups the corruption for instance. As it is now I largely ignore the timer itself, but the presence of a timer makes me rush more than I'd like. Moon shark can also eat a dick. It's balanced to the point that it's not really worth fighting normally so I used to just sprint through the crater and emp the typhon gates and now I just start every game with some tentacle grenades so I can insta-kill that idiot. I kinda like it now, prepping for enemies brings back some nethack feelings, but I think you run into it too early so you develop a hatred for it before you figure out your options. It needed to be deeper into a run.

I just gained access to the security officer's story so I can unlock the janitor. I'm enjoying it but it's also disappointing. It's a really good proof of concept and makes me want something else like it, but between the Prey combat and some bad balancing decisions I'm not completely sold on this specific iteration.

The easiest way to deal with the moonshark is to kite it and don't worry about it. If you haven't noticed, enemies don't respawn until the next corruption, so you can also kill it and use items to keep yourself in the same corruption level and not have to worry about it again the whole playthrough for any of the characters. I found level 3 to be my sweet spot, but you can keep it as easy as level 1 if you buy enough items beforehand. the real problem is when there are two moonsharks in Moonworks

I personally didn't like Mooncrash too much until I unlocked the janitor. Then it all fell into place and is my favorite game from last year. The surprise to me was how interesting the story was, not necessarily in it's depth, but in how you have to actively piece it all together. It's some sort of next step in non-linear storytelling that I had never quite seen before.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Mike the TV posted:

I personally didn't like Mooncrash too much until I unlocked the janitor. Then it all fell into place and is my favorite game from last year. The surprise to me was how interesting the story was, not necessarily in it's depth, but in how you have to actively piece it all together. It's some sort of next step in non-linear storytelling that I had never quite seen before.

It's my GOTY too, for the same reason. I loved how the randomization was meant a a framing mechanism for the story delivery rather than an attempt at creating an infinitely-replayable game.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
https://twitter.com/rafcolantonio/status/1197143416083226625?s=20

:]

Game to be announced at the VGAs in December.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Cool I hope they do well. Gamedev sounds like a real stressful job and I didn't blame him a bit for wanting a break.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Good quote about the state of developing games in the late twenty-teens:

quote:

I remember this funny moment where we were doing Dishonored, and I asked my lead programmer how many characters I could have in combat. And he answered something between five and six. I thought well, okay. It makes sense. The AI is what it is, and we had characters with 10,000 polys or whatever they were. Fast forward four or five years, we're doing Prey. It's a new engine, new technology, new hardware. I'm back with my lead programmer, same question. How many characters can we have? Maybe five or six. The only difference between one generation to the next was that the budget had doubled, and because the budget was doubled, it goes into more people, instead of taking three months to make a character it takes six months now, there's more optimization that is required, more of everything, every detail, making sure the eyes are perfect and the sun shines the right way.

TheNamedSavior
Mar 10, 2019

by VideoGames
It says something about Arkane if a game that literally had no real connections to any other franchises outside of sharing a name, barely any marketing, almost no modding tools or DLC aside from one released around 2 years ago, or a sequel, is literally STILL being talked about to this day in a thread updating not that infrequently, just merely because it is a great game.

I've gotta play it.

(After I update my computer.)

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Prey and Hollow Knight are my two favorite games from this decade. And then there's an insane number of incredibly good games fighting for third

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I remember buying Prey when there was literally nothing else worth trying out and I never imagined how awesome it would be. I love experiences like that.

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
I got mine for 8 bucks new at a Best Buy sale.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

how does void bastards compare to mooncrash?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Void bastards set its sights too low. It absolutely has the smash&grab mentality going on, and is super fun to play (and you should buy it), but it has a limited lifespan before you've seen everything.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!
Newbie question: I'm trying to go through the game without reading guides or spoilers. I'm maybe 2.5h in, speccing almost entirely in hacking just to see if going all in will make for an interesting playthrough. Any tips on how to make the most out of that kind of build? Should I pair it with stealth and engineering for a no-violence playthrough?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

DreadCthulhu posted:

Newbie question: I'm trying to go through the game without reading guides or spoilers. I'm maybe 2.5h in, speccing almost entirely in hacking just to see if going all in will make for an interesting playthrough. Any tips on how to make the most out of that kind of build? Should I pair it with stealth and engineering for a no-violence playthrough?

You’re gonna want an upgraded shotgun.

This game is all about using a variety of tools, stuff like a no-violence run should wait for a second play through or you’ll miss a lot.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Hacking is very useful for getting into places / containers, but its highest level has basically one, very specific use late in the game. Not mandatory by any means, but what in the game is?

As for no-violence runs, Prey's stealth mechanics aren't deeply developed, and a no-violence run may actually be impossible (there's one place I'm thinking of in Psychotronics that may require a kill). Engineering is likewise useful for opening new paths / circumnavigating hazards, but it also allows you to beef up turrets to do your fighting for you (though even upgraded, the standard Phantom's yellow blast may knock over and disable it)

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Turrets work best in numbers. One turret won’t kill more than a mimic or two by itself and is best used as a distraction while you do the killing. Two turrets can take down a phantom but one of them will probably get taken out (leave some space so they don’t get caught in the same AoE). Three or four can take down a lot even unsupported by the player

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

DreadCthulhu posted:

Hacking is required for a lot of extra story content, in the form of e-mails. None of it is critical story content but it's more good worldbuilding.

Hacking lends itself to a "explore every nook and cranny" playthrough so you should also get Repair, since it'll let you get to areas that Hacking alone won't be able to access. You could also take Leverage in order to have the ultimate go-anywhere-I-want skill build, but most of the time an area that can be accessed with Leverage can also be accessed in other ways (this is true of Hacking and Repair as well, but a bit more so for Leverage). That said, Leverage is the coolest of the three because it lets you throw couches and copy machines at people and the damage potential is quite good. Even if throwing a heavy object doesn't kill a thing, it will likely knock it over and stun it for awhile, and it's funny to watch

Don't do a no-violence playthrough unless you really enjoy that sort of thing. There's no reward or benefit to trying to be no-violence aside from your own enjoyment, and a lot of enemies are a joy to fight. You'd be missing out on so much content that I would strongly advised against it on a first playthrough, at least.

I like being a bit sneaky, and I tried a full Stealth build once (I've played through this game like 8 times since its release), and I'm sorry to say that the stealth and sneak attack skills are a waste of neuromods; you can sneak around really well without any Stealth, and Sneak Attack is a cool idea but doesn't wind up being that useful compared to, say, having a fully-upgraded Shotgun (which either one-shots or stuns phantoms if you run up to them, by the way).

The stun gun is deceptively good. Stunning and then clubbing things is highly effective in the early game. Stunning and shotgunning can kill some of the hardest enemies in the game without much trouble.

So upgrade those core abilities, explore around, learn more about what's going on, and seriously upgrade the shotgun it's really strong. The upgraded pistol is also quite good, since it's highly damaging at range.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I've beat the game recently and started to play mooncrash but in short and adding spoiler tags:

I saved everyone I could (Mikhaila, Aaron Ingram, Igwe, helped Danielle Sho), saved everyone on Cargo Deck (hell, I crafted a few turrets and ended defending with 5 making the fight a breeze), then saved Alex on his office and planted the nullwave thing on the coral. On the post-credits I chose to give them my typhon hand. So I guess I got the "best" ending. I only used mimic and psychoshock because I wanted to stay as human as possible.

I liked that I got both hack and repair to level 2 kinda soon into the game (also leverage 2) so I got tons of options on every zone. Upgraded the shotgun and got combat focus so I was combat efficient. My only gripe is that by the end of the game, mineral material was my worst enemy so I had to rely more on the gloo gun and wrench (ended upgrading stealth and wrench attacks) because of that. Surprise attack (is it called right?), the one giving higher damage to unsuspecting enemies is great and makes even the pistol a good weapon to dispatch enemies, or at least do massive damage at the start of the fight.

I also found hacking on PC way easier of I had my xbox controller at hand since an analog control felt better for moving the dot around.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

Thanks for the tips, y'all. Then it sounds like I'll get all hacking skills minus the last one, same with repairs, and skip on leverage since I should be able to use the other two in most instances? Also, sounds like I'll want Gunsmith II to get that shotgun upgrade. Should I get Combat Focus as well? Anything else I'm missing for that "see most of what there's to see in the game in one run" playthrough?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Combat Focus is a must if you're mainly using guns.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I’d say go with combat focus if you’re not gonna use the other abilities that open up in the middle of the game. You’ll end up with the resources to buy whatever abilities you want by the last third or so of the game, but you’ll typically use one or the other in fights. Combat focus fits with a gun-centric playthrough.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

DreadCthulhu posted:

Thanks for the tips, y'all. Then it sounds like I'll get all hacking skills minus the last one, same with repairs, and skip on leverage since I should be able to use the other two in most instances? Also, sounds like I'll want Gunsmith II to get that shotgun upgrade. Should I get Combat Focus as well? Anything else I'm missing for that "see most of what there's to see in the game in one run" playthrough?

Combat Focus is a broken skill, in that it may make encounters way too easy as you simply slow-motion slide past typhon while pumping them full of shotgun shells. Worth taking for sure but do try not to get into that rut

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

The above description reminded me, it's time for another playthrough.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

Spoilers... 6 hours in, just got to the section with the Weaver, got that sweet shotgun (thank you hacking 3!). I'm surprised people said the game takes 40 hours, because it feels like I'm making a ton of progress in the game already. Not complaining, it's great so far, and I'm pumped to learn more about the story, more than the specific gameplay.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Plenty of people beat it under 20. 40 hours is a pretty nook and cranny playthrough.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Mind that Arkane is a Zenimax studio, same as id software. Remember that Morgan Yu becomes the Doom Slayer by using Combat Focus 3, Conditioning+Mobility 2 and a fully upgraded shotgun. Even without combat focus, mobility 2 lets you leg the gently caress out of a bunch of encounters and hide somewhere by pure speed. I sprinted past a few typhons and used mimic to become a coffee mug then popped combat focus and... :blastu:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I find it hard not to play with all the space drugs to become a psychic god that hunts typhon for more space drug ingredients.

It's less "what do you want to be this playthrough" and more "what order do you want to get everything in"

Last time I played I was printing operators and then killing them so I could recycle the corpses for more metal to make more space drug injectors.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

OwlFancier posted:

[...]printing operators and then killing them so I could recycle the corpses for more metal to make more space drug injectors.

That's loving ingenious. About how much do they shell out per corpse, do you remember?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Serephina posted:

That's loving ingenious. About how much do they shell out per corpse, do you remember?

Not very much, but I literally had scoured the whole station for metal and that was the only vaguely passable source left, they pay out more than most trash objects, like maybe 0.3-4 ish per corpse? You can make a big pile of them and all the other operator corpses and then huck a recycler at them and you'll get enough for maybe one or two neuromods. More efficient than just recycling the recycler charges and generally better than throwing them at random clusters of objects in the game world.

I ended up dragging a load of blackbox operator corpses into a pile as well. Essentially exotics are a very renewable resource because you can get them with just psi power, metal is harder because it drops much more rarely, so combined with a bit of ammo fabrication early on I found myself with like 100 exotic and no metal.

Given I don't use recyclers other than for getting through blocked doors (leverage works, but recyclers just delete the barricade :v:) I ended up with enough of them to use them for that.

One thing I really like about prey is that you don't actually need any mobility skills, no hacking, no repair, no nothing. You can get into the majority of places with the gloo gun, recycler charges, and the nerf gun. Mimicry and one or two hacking/repair picks certainly help and you do need them for some areas, but the majority of important places can be gotten to through looking around and using the poo poo you find, and most of the other have more than one solution to getting in so you still don't need all the mobility picks unless you want to 100% everything.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Dec 3, 2019

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

I ended up dragging a load of blackbox operator corpses into a pile as well. Essentially exotics are a very renewable resource because you can get them with just psi power, metal is harder because it drops much more rarely, so combined with a bit of ammo fabrication early on I found myself with like 100 exotic and no metal.

:whoptc:

Even in my first playthrough (where I took Necropsy, relied heavily on all kinds of guns, and fabricated a bunch of ammo), exotic was always a more limited resource than metal, by far. And while you can get them "with just psi power" (once you're far enough into the game that you can reliably squish anything you encounter and have either completed the psi-water quest or have reliable access to a science operator), you do run out of enemies eventually. I definitely never had anywhere near 100 exotic. What the hell are you doing that results in such a huge exotic surplus?

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

ToxicFrog posted:

:whoptc:

Even in my first playthrough (where I took Necropsy, relied heavily on all kinds of guns, and fabricated a bunch of ammo), exotic was always a more limited resource than metal, by far. And while you can get them "with just psi power" (once you're far enough into the game that you can reliably squish anything you encounter and have either completed the psi-water quest or have reliable access to a science operator), you do run out of enemies eventually. I definitely never had anywhere near 100 exotic. What the hell are you doing that results in such a huge exotic surplus?

Nightmares are never-ending.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

1. Are there any side-quests that are "must haves" when it comes to the story? Some of the side objectives are just a few extra resources, so not really worth the time unless you're min maxing, but others seem to actually add a lot to the plot.

2. I felt super clever getting into Alex's house with the goop gun against the side of the cliff. Not clear if I was meant to be there yet, or if I'm risking glitching the game's sequence of events.

3. drat, the q beam is pretty nuts against larger targets like the telepathic thing in the greenhouse. Chasing after it with the shotgun just didn't work, but it evaporated in half a second with the beam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

DreadCthulhu posted:

1. Are there any side-quests that are "must haves" when it comes to the story? Some of the side objectives are just a few extra resources, so not really worth the time unless you're min maxing, but others seem to actually add a lot to the plot.

Non-plot sidequests that are worth it:

-There is one in the power plant that puts psychedelic drugs in the water supply.
-The golden gun is fantastic.
-The treasure hunt gives a good bonus, but you can just google the solution and get the reward.

Plot relevant:

-Do any favors that humans ask you to do.