Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Double post but whoops missed out on the pcars 2 sale

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
The iRacing Black Friday 25% subscription discount has started, for anyone lapsed or wanting to get in at the most efficient price.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Do the tracks and cars go on sale at all?

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Mr. Powers posted:

Do the tracks and cars go on sale at all?

If you buy enough of them, they feel sorry for you and give you a discount

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I dunno if I'm going to re-up my iracing. I bought on black Friday last year because AI was coming soon (tm).

I just expired (will in a few days). I just have a hard time finding time in their timeslots.

Maybe it's time to learn how to road race and find pcars on sale again.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Ok, i'm having trouble figuring out the best way to mount the th8a shifter to my TrakRacer rs6 cockpit (its the mach 1 version with the non adjustable shifter pedestal)

Their website lists the shifter as being compatible, but I don't see how. You can't use the clamp because the pedestal has a vertical tube right out of the bottom. the shifter clamp can be removed but the pedestal doesn't have a matching bolt pattern. 2 of the bolts might line up but it's 3 bolts in an equilateral triangle pattern and that doesn't exist on the mounting plate.
I can break out the chop saw and mig welder and try to fab something up but I hate welding to .060 dom because I suck and burn through it.

if you scroll way down you can see a view of the shifter mounting plate.
https://www.trakracer.com/product/trak-racer-rs6-mach-2-black-premium-gaming-racing-simulator-race-sim-seat-cockpit/

Ooh actually I could drill a third hole and then use a really long extension up the middle of the tube to screw in that last bolt.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

tater_salad posted:

I dunno if I'm going to re-up my iracing. I bought on black Friday last year because AI was coming soon (tm).

I just expired (will in a few days). I just have a hard time finding time in their timeslots.

Maybe it's time to learn how to road race and find pcars on sale again.

I do really wish someone would clone the GT Sport matchmaking process on PC. Iracing has the sim racing multiplayer market sewn up and it doesn’t have to be that way, it’s just the only real option

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I do really wish someone would clone the GT Sport matchmaking process on PC. Iracing has the sim racing multiplayer market sewn up and it doesn’t have to be that way, it’s just the only real option

As a tanker operator and general idiot, I'm pretty sure someone could build a matchmaking service ontop of Assetto Corsa.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I also like oval races and since NR2003 was the last good racing game (that iRacing owns the engine for). iRacing owns this and I wish someone made a not bad nascar game. Which is why I was super hopeful AI came out today.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
The problem with matchmaking in sims is there really aren't enough people to support it. Nothing comes anywhere close to GT Sport or Forza, and looking at 90% of iRacing splits confirms it.

What the genre really needs is for someone like the iRacing team to build a sim-lite extension to their sim with the features of a GT Sport, but it won't happen because a) money and b) the second they announced it the userbase would poo poo their pants that resources are going towards something that isn't an additional sim feature.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
If they would just release a good AI, I'd resub to iracing.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

tater_salad posted:

Sup dead t300 Buddy.

My t3pa pros have outlasted 2 T300 bases. As has my th8a.

I feel like TM just can't build a wheel that doesn't poo poo itself.

I wound up getting the USB pedal adapter and turned my old T3PA gas pedal into a makeshift handbrake. It works surprisingly well.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Ignore what I asked earlier about the th8a shifter. I took the clamp apart and to my Surprise found a dozen threaded holes.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

jonathan posted:

As a tanker operator and general idiot, I'm pretty sure someone could build a matchmaking service ontop of Assetto Corsa.

Well then they need to do it! Someone pick up the torch, I feel like it could be really popular, as I know multiple people sim racing on consoles SPECIFICALLY because of how iracing works

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Re: pCars2 AI: it stops acting like an idiot if you crank up the "Agression" slider. I personally keep it at 90 and only occasionally get it doing dumb ramming tactics. It seems to be more of an "awareness" slider.

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Well then they need to do it! Someone pick up the torch, I feel like it could be really popular, as I know multiple people sim racing on consoles SPECIFICALLY because of how iracing works

Wasn't AC supposed to implement an I racing like incident points system to keep things somewhat clean but then they just shat the bed?

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

osker posted:

Wasn't AC supposed to implement an I racing like incident points system to keep things somewhat clean but then they just shat the bed?

Yeah, it was supposed to be an enduring matchmaking/driving standards system comparable to iRacing but turns out they lied about that part to sucker us all into buying it in early access

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah I had big hopes for AC Competizione but. Welp

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Is the new AC decent for VR yet ? I bought it when it was pre release and havent even booted it up yet.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
I "complained" about the brutality of the force feedback in Project Cars 2 on my desk the other day, and here's the follow-up: I'm dumb

I started at the bottom of the career tiers, with the go karts, having never used one in real life or a game. I didn't think about the fact that they have very little room for suspension and itty bitty wheels and would be bumpy as hell in real life. Driving other vehicles, the force feedback is much more like I expected - I still want to fine tune it but I can potentially use it without waking up my neighbours.

I also discovered that the developers are the studio that made Test Drive: Ferrari Racing Legends which I'm still super fond of, so that's neat.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Real karts are pretty tough actually. The steering ratio is super quick and obviously no power steering. Although electric power steering would be easy to set up with the cheap ATV kits out there.

I do a lot of pulldown/lat work and shrugs, delts etc and regardless of how strong I am feeling, a few 20 minute sessions in a kart will have me feeling it a day after.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I feel dumb saying this, because he's a better sim driver than I'll ever be,

But Jimmy Broadbent shakes the wheel way too much when he drives. I've watched a few videos of him driving in real life and he doesn't do that barely at all, but when he's lapping the ring, he shakes the wheel all over the place and I can't think of a reason that would be helpful at all.

It's almost like he watched that old old video of the ruf Yellowbird lapping the ring during a tourist day and mimics that drivers steering inputs.

If you watch other good racers like Empty Box (Matt Orr) they're much smoother with steering input.

Am I wrong ?

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret
It might be FFB settings. When I got a clubsport and no longer had to contend with clogging I ran high forces that made my inputs seem spazzy. When I learned to turn it down to a reasonable non-arm-breaking forces my driving smoothed out.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

jonathan posted:

I feel dumb saying this, because he's a better sim driver than I'll ever be,

But Jimmy Broadbent shakes the wheel way too much when he drives. I've watched a few videos of him driving in real life and he doesn't do that barely at all, but when he's lapping the ring, he shakes the wheel all over the place and I can't think of a reason that would be helpful at all.

It's almost like he watched that old old video of the ruf Yellowbird lapping the ring during a tourist day and mimics that drivers steering inputs.

If you watch other good racers like Empty Box (Matt Orr) they're much smoother with steering input.

Am I wrong ?

In one of his recent real life videos the instructors in the background were taking the piss out of him for doing it. I think he's slowly getting better.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

In one of his recent real life videos the instructors in the background were taking the piss out of him for doing it. I think he's slowly getting better.

he does it to test the available grip. it's not a terrible thing on a sighter lap/first time in a car/track but yeah like the instructor says, once you know how much grip you've got the next lap around you just need to believe that you have that same grip

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!

jonathan posted:

Real karts are pretty tough actually. The steering ratio is super quick and obviously no power steering. Although electric power steering would be easy to set up with the cheap ATV kits out there.

I do a lot of pulldown/lat work and shrugs, delts etc and regardless of how strong I am feeling, a few 20 minute sessions in a kart will have me feeling it a day after.

Can confirm. I raced WKA for 6 years (100cc piston port) and I was in good shape then. Karts will kick your rear end. They don't so much turn as they do simply change direction and you pull some pretty good G's on top of the super tight steering so your neck and your arms both get a heck of a workout, especially at fast tracks where you're diving into some turns at 75+mph.

Power steering could feasibly work on a kart, but at least back in the day we were doing everything possible to shave weight. Though, I'm a big dude so I was always trying lighten things up to get down to the min weight while other guys were adding lead. I don't know that I'd want slower or lighter steering though. I imagine that would make you to have to exaggerate all the little corrections needed to get one of those things through a turn.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
Power steering would get regulated so fuckin fast because of the small people being able to do it for free vs heavier guys.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I need help with my Logitech Driving Force GT :( My desk has a thickness of 1.5", but the clamp on the wheel can only go to 1.4" see the problem with this? I am not sure what my options are, but it needs to be able to clamp to my desk. Failing that, what is out there for good sim racing wheels?

Outlaw Mailman
Jul 1, 2007
Two kinds of crazy
Just pop the little plastic part off the bottom of the clamp so it's flat, my desk is 1 5/8" and it works fine.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Outlaw Mailman posted:

Just pop the little plastic part off the bottom of the clamp so it's flat, my desk is 1 5/8" and it works fine.

:worship:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Welp, Slightly Mad has maybe a year to live.
https://twitter.com/Codemasters/status/1200115655485329408

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
They survived the UK investigating them as a potential investment scam, they could survive this

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Whoops, yeah that is not the sign of a company that is doing well financially I suppose. I don't expect that game console will ever come out either. I mean, I never expected it would, but probably even more so now. At best we'll just get Project CARS 3 but that is not at all a bad thing.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

I said come in! posted:

Whoops, yeah that is not the sign of a company that is doing well financially I suppose. I don't expect that game console will ever come out either. I mean, I never expected it would, but probably even more so now. At best we'll just get Project CARS 3 but that is not at all a bad thing.

Say goodbye to VR.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
Pcars 2 vr was always a gigantic mess for me that ran really choppy and looked super bad, so

VealCutlet
Dec 21, 2015

I am a marketing god, shave that shit
Pcars2 VR is still infinitely better than ACC which is awful borderline unplayable

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

:( not happy to hear it's worked like poo poo for some. I just picked it up.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Sliding across from the iRacing thread with news of a new update, featuring such things as :siren: AI test launch :siren:

The MX-5 (amongst others) is now on the updated tyre model so it's time for a Mazda-centric Gooncar season, feel free to :getin:

(times in UTC)

Vando posted:

:siren: GOONCAR RETURNS :siren:

We a Mazda league now* so free car and 6/8 tracks are free content :sun:

*for 2 months

There's also a promo for 25% off 1 and 2 year subs running until Thursday so now is a good time to return/get started if you've been considering it.

Also goons actually show up for races in this, poo poo's wild.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

tater_salad posted:

:( not happy to hear it's worked like poo poo for some. I just picked it up.

If you're talking about PCars 2, for one, people just love to poo poo on pcars so take all that with a grain of salt.

Its VR performance isn't great, but it renders VR fine. You just need to really turn down all the visual options to get a good framerate, but in VR that isn't really a problem and you're probably running iRacing or Dirt Rally 2 in lower settings too in order to get those high VR frame rates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Vando posted:

Sliding across from the iRacing thread with news of a new update, featuring such things as :siren: AI test launch :siren:

The MX-5 (amongst others) is now on the updated tyre model so it's time for a Mazda-centric Gooncar season, feel free to :getin:

(times in UTC)

There's also a promo for 25% off 1 and 2 year subs running until Thursday so now is a good time to return/get started if you've been considering it.

Also goons actually show up for races in this, poo poo's wild.

Do they still have that lovely "pay a periodic fee AND for each car/track" pricing model?