Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Cat Mattress posted:

It actually didn't, Boeing had to throw a tantrum to be declared the winner.

No, I get it, that's where the bribery comment came from, but god drat has it been bad since

Mazz fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Nov 14, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

Mazz posted:

No, I get it, that's where the bribery comment came from, but god drat has it been bad since

Still hasn't stopped the 133d from flying the gently caress outta them up here. They are doing touch and goes and short field approaches every weekend now since August.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Mazz posted:

I really wonder how the KC-46A actually beat the KC-45 a little bit more every day:

We also don't like being beholden to foreign governments for strategic assets. Airbus was never going to actually be the supplier.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Godholio posted:

We also don't like being beholden to foreign governments for strategic assets. Airbus was never going to actually be the supplier.

I thought it was Northrop-Grumman pitch and that the actual airframes were going to be built in the US.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

That was the play to get around it, but I was skeptical from the start that it would be enough (if enough assembly would even occur here). Airbus is still partially owned by several foreign governments.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Which is worse: being beholden to (friendly) foreign governments or not actually having the tankers for an extra ~10 years

Worth noting how almost nobody has chosen the kc-46 over the a330 tanker in countries where they have had a choice.

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
Is it too early to say that Boeing has forgotten how to make airplanes? Like their executives got so far up their own asses with corporate poo poo and buybacks and dividends that they rotted out the ability of the company to actually make a decent product?

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Only if you have access to a time machine

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

LibCrusher posted:

Is it too early to say that Boeing has forgotten how to make airplanes? Like their executives got so far up their own asses with corporate poo poo and buybacks and dividends that they rotted out the ability of the company to actually make a decent product?

There's a compelling case that the McDonnell Douglas merger and breaking down the walls between the civilian and military programs caused the current sorry state of Boeing. I'm not sure I would hold out much hope that the current administration will pressure them in any way to significantly change anything.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Mortabis posted:

Which is worse: being beholden to (friendly) foreign governments or not actually having the tankers for an extra ~10 years

Yeah the AF forgot to ask me before they decided.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Impecable timing, shamelessly stolen from the Air Insanity thread:

A long read that's entirely worth it. Boeing's MCAS, 349 heartbreaks - and how the company that bought McDouglas came to be heartbreak-Boeing.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

david_a posted:

There's a compelling case that the McDonnell Douglas merger and breaking down the walls between the civilian and military programs caused the current sorry state of Boeing. I'm not sure I would hold out much hope that the current administration will pressure them in any way to significantly change anything.

poo poo like this also helps that case along:
https://www.seattletimes.com/busine...-to-machinists/

They had to phase out a set of manufacturing robots which they were going to replace a slew of machinists with but they ended up never working properly. Boeing are now throwing in the towel after years of making it work.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

david_a posted:

Is this article actually true? I’ve always disliked how Norm Augustine is heralded as a thought leader in the defense world, the idea that he’s actually largely to blame for the M&A culture in defense leadership is convenient but seems like one of those it’s too good to be true scenarios.

Edit: reading further this definitely smells like bullshit

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Nov 15, 2019

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

A long read that's entirely worth it. Boeing's MCAS, 349 heartbreaks - and how the company that bought McDouglas came to be heartbreak-Boeing.

This was an excellent article, thanks for linking it here.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

CarForumPoster posted:

Is this article actually true? I’ve always disliked how Norm Augustine is heralded as a thought leader in the defense world, the idea that he’s actually largely to blame for the M&A culture in defense leadership is convenient but seems like one of those it’s too good to be true scenarios.

Edit: reading further this definitely smells like bullshit

M&A in defense was inevitable simply because of the nature of the industry, not some force of personality.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Didn’t even mention Boeing moving only the corporate HQ to Chicago, which was utterly insane.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
https://twitter.com/AtomicAnalyst/status/1195371851159093248

67 years ago, as big as fission bombs got. Would that have just been insane amounts of fallout? Wasn't the maximum efficiency of fission weapons somewhere around 20%?

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.
There would have been a stupendous amount of fallout, for an air burst. Even perfectly efficient fission is a huge mess, since each parent nucleus generates two generally fiercely radioactive daughter nuclei.

Hard to say how it would compare to a ground burst though, which has all those bazillions of neutrons making friends with the nuclei in the ground.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Talking about nuclear testing fallout, the LA Times has a great, and disturbing set, of articles about the impact of US nuclear tests on the Marshall Islands:
https://www.latimes.com/projects/marshall-islands-nuclear-testing-sea-level-rise/

It is less of a focus but they do also mention how US army personnel were dragged in to do a lot of the cleanup without any proper precautions or PPE.

They also mention in passing that the US also tested biological weapons there.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Memento posted:

https://twitter.com/AtomicAnalyst/status/1195371851159093248

67 years ago, as big as fission bombs got. Would that have just been insane amounts of fallout? Wasn't the maximum efficiency of fission weapons somewhere around 20%?

the brits had a fission device that was close to 800kt, Orange Herald.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

thatbastardken posted:

the brits had a fission device that was close to 800kt, Orange Herald.

Orange Herald was a boosted fission device, though. Ivy King was still the largest :hitler: ~pure~ :hitler: fission test.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Isn't the secret sauce of teller-ulam design that the fusion stage is mostly just there to blast out so many neutrons that the unenriched uranium bomb casing fissions?

wkarma
Jul 16, 2010
I got a new camera lens. It's the Nellis air show weekend. These two things are not unrelated. (Also this thread needs more airpower.)

[

Aggressors are cool. They even let the public vote on that new paint scheme and they didn't screw it up!

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Orange Herald was a boosted fission device, though. Ivy King was still the largest :hitler: ~pure~ :hitler: fission test.

splitting hairs is pretty close splitting atoms, i guess

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

wkarma posted:

Aggressors are cool. They even let the public vote on that new paint scheme and they didn't screw it up!

The new Aggressy McAggressorface paint scheme?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

It's called Wraith. Ghost is also pretty drat sick. Both were selected by polls.

wkarma posted:

I got a new camera lens. It's the Nellis air show weekend. These two things are not unrelated. (Also this thread needs more airpower.)

Keep watching. WSINT starts this week too.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Godholio posted:

That was the play to get around it, but I was skeptical from the start that it would be enough (if enough assembly would even occur here). Airbus is still partially owned by several foreign governments.

Airbus is currently assembling A320s in the US in the facility that was planned for the tanker contract. And is now also assembling A220s there as well.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Airbus is currently assembling A320s in the US in the facility that was planned for the tanker contract. And is now also assembling A220s there as well.

They bailed out Bombardier by buying up the A220 program and giving it a US home at that factory, but this hadn't happened before the tanker contract so some skepticism is understandable. Today theres not really much doubt that Airbus could do that "easily".

Ironically Boeing's tantrums about the A220 and the A330 MRTT might be making more US airlines going all in on Airbus like Delta seems to be more practical.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I wonder if the Alaska execs who were all :ohdear: about buying up all of Virgin America's Airbuses are all :smuggo: now.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

hobbesmaster posted:

They bailed out Bombardier by buying up the A220 program and giving it a US home at that factory, but this hadn't happened before the tanker contract so some skepticism is understandable. Today theres not really much doubt that Airbus could do that "easily".

Ironically Boeing's tantrums about the A220 and the A330 MRTT might be making more US airlines going all in on Airbus like Delta seems to be more practical.

The A320 plant was a fallback plan when the tanker contract went to Boeing. With the governmental approvals and everything already in place for the tanker assembly, pivoting to civilian production stopped all that from going to waste.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

shame on an IGA posted:

Isn't the secret sauce of teller-ulam design that the fusion stage is mostly just there to blast out so many neutrons that the unenriched uranium bomb casing fissions?

No, not really. The big deal about the Teller-Ulam configuration is that you can actually ignite the fusion stage at all. With most of the big Cold War designs, yeah, most of the yield is from the neutrons off the fusion stage fast-fissioning the U238 tamper, but you need the fusion burn to generate all the neutrons to do that with.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
and if you use the Lament Configuration, you get severe radiation poisoning and then cenobites show up at the hospital

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Kesper North posted:

Lament Configuration

Is that seriously what it's called. That sounds like something from an edgy teenager's poetry.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Don Gato posted:

Is that seriously what it's called. That sounds like something from an edgy teenager's poetry.

I have such sights to show you it's from the CLASSIC HORROR FILM Hellraiser

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
TEST TYPE
EVA-01
ABSOLUTE TERROR FIELD
LAMENT CONFIGURATION
TOKYO-3

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Don Gato posted:

Jesus wept.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

:cenobite:

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

aphid_licker posted:

I have such sights to show you it's from the CLASSIC HORROR FILM Hellraiser

That's what I get for late night drunk posting.

I also haven't actually seen Hellraiser.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Don Gato posted:

That's what I get for late night drunk posting.

I also haven't actually seen Hellraiser.

Just about hit the report button.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wkarma
Jul 16, 2010
Photo dump time! Deal with it! All clicky-able. Some of my winners so far from Nellis AFB Airshow this year, in no particular order.