Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

gently caress me, I didn't expect to open the thread and see another high rise in the process of burning down. Glad to gather that everyone got out safely.

[edit] By 2030 extreme poverty should have been abolished and everyone in the world should have access to basic sanitation. If the WHO, the "world community" etc hit their goals that is...

Munin fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Nov 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

PawParole posted:

that’s pretty smart and I’ll have to ruminate on that for a while. I once read an article claiming that face to face campaigning swings more voters than tv ads do, and it seems to match up with what happened in 2017.

Far more. Also just harassing people to go actually vote; a lot of canvassing here in Canada centres on identifying supporters, and then reconnecting with them the day of to be like "hey did you vote yet? Be sure to go vote!"

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
ummm, apparently the faculty at my university have referred me to prevent?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Chuka Umana posted:

What the gently caress? I have no idea who you'd talk to about that but I recommend finding out if like, Liberty or someone similar can help you out.

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

Corbyns campaigning has been pretty slick so far but I think his approach in Scotland of attacking the Sturgeon personally for wanting another independence referendum are pretty jarring.

I mean who can blame the Scots for wanting a chance to separate themselves from the gangrenous limb that is the UKs political system post Brexit vote.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Chuka Umana posted:

loving hell, did they say why?

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
From an article written in 2017

Students assured that flats at The Cube, in Bradshawgate, do not have same dangerous cladding as Grenfell Tower posted:

STUDENTS living in the town centre have been reassured that their flats are safe, following inspections triggered by the Grenfell Tower disaster.

Fire safety officers visited The Cube, in Bradshawgate, following the tragedy — but the building does not use the same cladding that contributed to the London disaster.

Angela McKinney, operations manager for student accommodation owner DIGS, said that the building had staff on site 24/7 and that residents would be evacuated if there is a fire.

She said that safety inspectors were "happy" with what they had seen at The Cube, and added: "When any further legislation or reviews are published we will be reviewing our procedures accordingly."

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Gonna turn out to be true! The building in Bolton was covered in a completely different extremely dangerous cladding! :pseudo:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Well everyone got out all right, didn't they? What do you mean you're worried about all your possessions and treasured life mementos? This just means you get to buy them all over again! That's it yes, suck at capitalism's dripping teat!

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

What more evidence do you need of Moggmentum than the people living there understanding that they had a choice to live or die and they made the right one by running. Entire credit goes to him for inspiring a new generation of free thinkers.

And also credit to the Conservatives for creating this incredible opportunity for the local economy now that this building will have to be rebuilt and it's occupants replace their worldly goods.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
In non burning building because of Governmental negligance and malice-related news;

quote:

Prince Andrew has said that he failed to uphold the standards of the royal family when he visited Jeffrey Epstein after the paedophile’s release from prison, admitting: “I let the side down, simple as that.”

The prince made the statement in an interview with the BBC’s Newsnight programme, the first time he has spoken publicly about his friendship with Epstein, to be broadcast on Saturday night.

In a pre-recorded interview with Emily Maitlis, understood to have been the result of six months of negotiations with the royal household, Andrew also said he had “no recollection” of ever meeting Virginia Giuffre, the woman who claims to have been coerced into having sex with the royal by the financier Epstein.

Andrew said he regretted remaining friends with Epstein after he was found guilty of sexual offences: “I stayed with him and that’s … that’s … that’s the bit that … that … that, as it were, I kick myself for on a daily basis because it was not something that was becoming of a member of the royal family, and we try and uphold the highest standards and practices and I let the side down, simple as that.”

On the contrary, he appears very much to have lived up to the standards and practices we'd expect of his parasitic, incestuous, nonce clan.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

tithin posted:

Grenfell 2's got a nice ring to it
Don’t forget the Shepherd’s Bush fire in 2016 that was supposed to be a wake-up call about flammable cladding. This is the third major cladding fire in four years.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

Most of the pushback I've gotten is "Well it was a Labour Council who built it, so it's they're fault", and I'm pretty sure that building safety regulations are a national matter for national government but no, Corbyn built and torched this building

late to this and still catching up so someone may have posted:

https://aspenwoolf.co.uk/projects/cube-bolton/

The Cube | Bolton
Prices From: £39,950
Yield: 10% Assured for 1 year

CASH BUYERS/INVESTMENT ONLY
Apartments from just £39,950
Return over £100k from a £40k investment
Assured rental yield of 10% for 1st year
5% interest paid on deposited funds
High-spec fully furnished en-suites with facilities
Fully hands-off investment managed by top asset managers

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
CW: transphobia, ableism

https://twitter.com/Mike_P_Williams/status/1195023123017609218

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Pesky Splinter posted:

In non burning building because of Governmental negligance and malice-related news;

On the contrary, he appears very much to have lived up to the standards and practices we'd expect of his parasitic, incestuous, nonce clan.

As was said on Twitter, "letting the side down" is when you forget to bring the handouts for your group presentation. Hanging around with a convicted nonce, even if you genuinely are innocent of such crimes yourself, is something else.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

I can’t watch this because the weird not-quite-human faces are freaking me out

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
More 'winning here' dodgy bar charts on election leaflets :allears:

https://twitter.com/RossMcCaff/status/1195421348383854592

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
That's not a great look but out of context it's hard to tell how misleading it is, like if that's literally the entire content of the leaflet then it doesn't refer to local results at all.

Probably still best to avoid though.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

I for one applaud the Lib Dems on their drive to teach a new generation to always read the small print

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

keep punching joe posted:

More 'winning here' dodgy bar charts on election leaflets :allears:

https://twitter.com/RossMcCaff/status/1195421348383854592
ScotLab game is strong, I see! Wonder who came up with that genius plan

that constituency is apparently SNP / Lab marginal. maybe would have been less dishonest for them to focus on that, just a thought

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

RabidWeasel posted:

That's not a great look but out of context it's hard to tell how misleading it is, like if that's literally the entire content of the leaflet then it doesn't refer to local results at all.

Probably still best to avoid though.

Indeed, the figures are national figures. It's a perfectly accurate leaflet except for the fact that it appears in the midst of a national focus on the LibDems massaging local figures, so naturally everyone thinks that leaflet is about local figures too lol

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

God dammit, ScotLab.

e: though I guess if it is national figures then ok - probably worth mentioning in very large letters though.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
The sooner ScotLab is wrapped in Grenfell cladding and kicked, burning, down the side of Ben Nevis, the better.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

PawParole posted:

love Corbyn, would vote for Corbyn if I wasn’t currently living in Yankeestan.

You might still be eligible to vote in the UK, check it out.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Is it a big worry that lovely scotlab backed by Corbyn and strong ground game will take enough votes from the snp to let the tories in in a bunch of places? I'd far rather we had Labour C&S with the SNP than a Tory + Lib Dem C&S.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
That bar chart is definitely not ok. It technically doesn't tell any lies but in the context of a leaflet given out in a general election, assuming a bar chart of parties is for the constituency is very reasonable. I don't know if they were being misleading on purpose, and such a bar chart could potentially make a point that would be relevant (e.g only Boris or Corbyn can be PM, sort of thing) but ambiguity is still misleading.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
https://twitter.com/jpjanson/status/1195576409219055616?s=20

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/FinancialTimes/status/1195214876337201152

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

This isn't just the tories not caring, this is not caring and not even being competent at sonewhat pretending to care. Jesus gently caress.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
You know what, this is somehow actually worse than actual right wing comedy of the some big twat in a flying hat making "I was walking down the street with my bitch wife when I saw three queers and a jew" jokes, because at least that has some :stonklol: or "okay you're trying to be purposefully gross and succeeded, lol twat" moments.

This is just aggressively tepid to the point where I just want one of them to start dropping n-bombs. "ha ha can't believe diane abbott's a thing" loving say why then you cowards. Tell my why the tearoom in my village having a toilet with a 'toilet' sign and no gender is comedy material. Explain in detail why jazz hands are funny to you, you unfunny virtue signalling little shits.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

Oh dear me posted:

I once heard of a theory that depressed people often need to learn how to elicit praise from others. And it seemed to match my own experience, where voluntary work (a situation where you can get a lot of grateful praise) helped a lot. So I do consciously try to dish out compliments, but it doesn't come easy.

It matches my experiences too. I thought that never getting any praise or validation was the natural state of affairs, because for me it was. Tough poo poo love, don't let them rest on their laurels! Um, what? You never gave me any laurels, how could I rest on them? Oh well, I guess I'm just a poo poo person who is poo poo at everything, and that's all I'll ever be.

Except that I'm not. Gradually, over time, decent people gently tried to point this out to me, because they could tell that I was filled with uncertainty and self-loathing. I resisted most strongly at first, because it seemed completely wrong. I couldn't handle it. But little bits of it started to get through to me, and after a tremendous struggle* I began to see the way I had been treated for the abuse that it was. It was the start of a long process of dragging myself out of the pit, and towards being a happier person who tries to treat myself fairly.

People still occasionally say to me: "You're a good person, you know." So I guess I still give off that energy a bit. It's a long journey, but I've come a long way. I wouldn't go back for anything, and if I can help someone who is having a similar struggle then you better loving bet I will try. Some of my best friends don't like themselves. They are baffled by the fact that I love them, but it's become something consistent that they can rely on, and I think that it's helping, little by little.

* This is one of the things that downtime is for! This poo poo is exhausting, and there is no shame in being exhausted by it. It's not reasonable to expect perfection from yourself, and insisting on it can really gently caress you up. You're not a machine, you're a human being. And gently caress anyone who won't let you be.

It's okay to not be okay :glomp:

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

poo poo this sounds serious, what are the allegations?

“Things he’s done, things he’s not done”

Oh right, like what?

“Oh you know, things.”

loving pathetic.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/15375081.amp/?__twitter_impression=true

"Students assured that flats at The Cube, in Bradshawgate, do not have same dangerous cladding as Grenfell Tower"

Of course it's not the same cladding! The Grenfell cladding burned up, remember? So how could it be the same?

Stupid proles, go back to your hovels...

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Ratjaculation posted:

It was present on Plymouth's 3 largest social housing blocks, Devonport Towers.

Despite the government swearing to fund any removal of the cladding immediately after Grenfell they refused to release the funds for over a year, instead trying to force the council to fund it (having already slashed their budget by over 40% at that point).

The local MP campaigned and raised the point at PMQs iirc, and eventually the government covered the full cost and work began this year.

Utter poo poo show, total disregard for tenant safety, standard procedure for Tory scum.

Quite apart from the evil they've shown, that was an unbelievably stupid move by the Tories.

"Oh gosh, this was a massive PR disaster for us. Let's leave the door open for more of the same. Let's do nothing, and have to be publicly dragged into doing the slightest thing at all to pretend we care. Spending money on anything but myself is unacceptable!"

They are blinded by their ideology, and they are killing us with it.

Tories out. Now.

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe

I too refer to bigotry as "indulgence".

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

NFX posted:

I too refer to bigotry as "indulgence".

jermnby corybn luxuriated, positively basked, in antisemitism

vvv i'm not rich, they're the ones who are rich

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/David__Osland/status/1195647752253968385

temporarily embarrassed millionaires but they're actual millionaires

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Eschenique posted:

Corbyns campaigning has been pretty slick so far but I think his approach in Scotland of attacking the Sturgeon personally for wanting another independence referendum are pretty jarring.

I mean who can blame the Scots for wanting a chance to separate themselves from the gangrenous limb that is the UKs political system post Brexit vote.

Maybe its just my perspective but after watching the attack lines I felt like Corbyn and Stugeon were intentionally 'talking past each other'. She demands a referendum, he says there won't be one, she says there will, he says voting SNP will let the Tories in, she says ScotLab are pathetic etc. etc.

It just lacks the vitriol of Jo Swinson's "Corbyn is utterly unfit for office and I will never let him be PM". They attack, but they don't get too personal and they never completely rule out working together.

Personally I think both sides are doing token attacks to give themselves a bit of distance from the accusations of working together, when really they both know they're gearing up to work together. I could quite easily see Sturgeon and Corbyn coming to a middle-ground compromise on when to hold a second indyref.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
about to go knock on some doors :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Gonzo McFee posted:

https://twitter.com/David__Osland/status/1195647752253968385

temporarily embarrassed millionaires but they're actual millionaires