Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Bongo Bill posted:

Breath of the Wild 2 should, exist,

immediately. where the hell is it nintendo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Soricidus posted:

The korok puzzles are fine but there should be more than like 5 different kinds repeated endlessly. I liked the ones with the balloons.

i think a really funny and infuriating mechanic would be where a set amount of korrok seeds (50) are dispensed randomly when certain areas (houses, shrines, forests) are cleared of all destructable environments.

just imagine the gamefaqs forum trying to figure out the spawn conditions.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Soricidus posted:

The korok puzzles are fine but there should be more than like 5 different kinds repeated endlessly. I liked the ones with the balloons.

There are waaay more than 5 kinds.

Offhand:

Shoot a nut
Under a rock
Pinwheel
Sparkle
Groups of flowers
Follow flower
Small rocks big shapes
Metal box matching
Big rock in hole
Three trees
Three cactus
Three fences
Dancing leaves up high
Ring of rocks
Ring of plants
Offering shrines
Snowballs
Race platforms

I'm sure that's not all

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Shrines were neat, but as with Koroks, they soon got really stale. Exploration got a bit less interesting when the best thing you could find were either a pretty useless seed or another puzzle with an orb. There were a few shrines with other rewards, of course, but I still felt a bit cheated when I did a cool thing and it just unlocked a shrine. The overworld itself was fantastic, but I wish it would have more secrets, or just cool places, like Mount Satoshi (or whatever it was).
I agree that they should either add classic dungeons or Hyrule Castle-like ones (preferrably both) with various rewards. I'm very optimistic about whatever they do, though. Nintendo is one of the best devs out there, and they're usually very good at making sequels.

Still, I'm almost certain that most of the discussed features will be added, because Zelda team seems to listen to fans. Sometimes too much, but still.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Vookatos posted:

Shrines were neat, but as with Koroks, they soon got really stale. Exploration got a bit less interesting when the best thing you could find were either a pretty useless seed or another puzzle with an orb. There were a few shrines with other rewards, of course, but I still felt a bit cheated when I did a cool thing and it just unlocked a shrine. The overworld itself was fantastic, but I wish it would have more secrets, or just cool places, like Mount Satoshi (or whatever it was).
I agree that they should either add classic dungeons or Hyrule Castle-like ones (preferrably both) with various rewards. I'm very optimistic about whatever they do, though. Nintendo is one of the best devs out there, and they're usually very good at making sequels.

Yeah, more ruined-buildings/building-complexes-with-monsters-in would be great. I hoped Akkala Tower would be a smaller-scale Hyrule Castle when I first saw it, and I still want that. And less-ruined versions of Castle Town to sneak round and explore.

I love the weird things like Mt Satori and the dragons; I do kind of wish you could follow the dragon's paths around Hyrule too, just as a fun stupid challenge thing, no reward necessary other than doing it, same as all you get for riding the King of the Mountain is getting to ride the King of the Mountain.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Replace swords with chakrams. Remove the stamina meter. Add ring con and leg strap controls. Your stamina meter is now your actual stamina.

Perform the mountain climber to climb mountains. Do the bow pull to use your bow (obviously), overhead presses to carry things, and maintain an overhead pull to keep the glider open. We can keep the Ring Fit controls for actions like opening chests and swimming (rowing).

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Edit: sorry, double post because of spotty connection

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Zelda: Wildly out of Breath

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!
Sword thrusts
Every morning (ten times!)
Sword thrusts
Starting low
Once more if you can,
Nuts to the Yiga clan
Go you champion, go!

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

The Bloop posted:

There are waaay more than 5 kinds.

Offhand:

Shoot a nut

way ahead of you bro

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Vookatos posted:

Still, I'm almost certain that most of the discussed features will be added, because Zelda team seems to listen to fans. Sometimes too much, but still.

i think one of the advantages of weapon durability is it opens up a whole new type of reward (Cool Weapons) which helps keeps reward chests fairly random. The previous poster who said the chests got stale isn't wrong, especially if the weapon in the chest isn't any better than the stuff you're already carrying. If your weapon cache is full, you might decide not to bother looking for chests in an area.

There's a lot of compelling reasons to explore (collecting everything like a God damned maniac) but there are also some discompulsions as well, like the fairly strict starting limits for what you can carry, paucity of rewards, overall shallowness of interactibility in the open world.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
The limited equipment slots are even more noticeable on a second playthrough, when you know how to wreck enemies efficiently. I usually don't pick up bokoblin/moblin/lizalfos stuff anymore and I'm still running out of weapon slots very quickly.

I'm not sure how to fix it, though. Lowering durability overall or giving enemies more HP wouldn't be an improvement. Maybe have more challenging enemies like the lynels.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

Runcible Cat posted:

Yeah, more ruined-buildings/building-complexes-with-monsters-in would be great. I hoped Akkala Tower would be a smaller-scale Hyrule Castle when I first saw it, and I still want that. And less-ruined versions of Castle Town to sneak round and explore.

I love the weird things like Mt Satori and the dragons; I do kind of wish you could follow the dragon's paths around Hyrule too, just as a fun stupid challenge thing, no reward necessary other than doing it, same as all you get for riding the King of the Mountain is getting to ride the King of the Mountain.
Definitely. And yeah, your post reminded me that I was pretty disappointed with lack of in-door areas. Castle Town got pretty much wiped, so there were like a few towers and walls here and there.
And it's easy to think about what BotW didn't have, but writing about it also reminds me of just how loving fantastic that game was!

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I just wish when you opened a chest and your items are full, it just gave you three options: keep and discard another weapon, put back in chest for later, or discard.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

mastajake posted:

I just wish when you opened a chest and your items are full, it just gave you three options: keep and discard another weapon, put back in chest for later, or discard.

Absolutely. It's stuff like that that I don't see how it gets through testing, it's not a *huge* thing on its own, but the whole "open chest twice because you're full and have to discard something" has to have happened dozens of time for anyone playing the game and it gets annoying so fast. How anyone could not immediately complain about it is beyond me.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Friend just sent me this

https://twitter.com/mecataylor/status/1197320499321196546?s=21

Dictator.
May 13, 2007

#Blessed

seems so obvious when there's a small layer of water to use ice blocks, yet i never tried

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
It's mandatory in that fight.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
I think it's more the timing of the ice block where the guardian sails over his head, rather than using the ice block at all.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Mordaedil posted:

It's mandatory in that fight.

Certainly not mandatory but still the obvious "intended" strategy for sure. But yeah, that clip was all about the sick timing making it jump.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
Speaking of unintended (or at least, unorthodox) Test of Strength strategies;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNmMn6Qaq3g

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Just now noticed the thread title. A+

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

If for some bizarre and unknown reason any one of you haven't picked up BOTW yet, it's on sale for $40 on Amazon right now

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

It's also for sale on the eshop 30% off, as is the DLC. At least in territories governed by NoE, don't know about the rest of you!

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Hey guys!! I finally got a switch and breath of the wild!! Super excited to take in the game and world!

I fully plan on ‘getting lost’ and exploring however life takes me, I just wanna know, what are some good Quality of life tips and tricks I can do to make things go smoother for myself? Anything that I should do or keep in mind or collect that people usually wish they knew in the game?

Thanks!!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Al-Saqr posted:

Quality of life tips and tricks

Find a bunch of shrines to trade in your rewards for stamina upgrades, the game starts off with approximately half of what it needs for the exploration to be fun imo.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Captain Hygiene posted:

Find a bunch of shrines to trade in your rewards for stamina upgrades, the game starts off with approximately half of what it needs for the exploration to be fun imo.

This is all you need to know. Stamina is much more important than health early on.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Al-Saqr posted:

Hey guys!! I finally got a switch and breath of the wild!! Super excited to take in the game and world!

I fully plan on ‘getting lost’ and exploring however life takes me, I just wanna know, what are some good Quality of life tips and tricks I can do to make things go smoother for myself? Anything that I should do or keep in mind or collect that people usually wish they knew in the game?

Thanks!!

Follow the initial breadcrumbs after the plateau until you get the camera. That'll have you naturally run into most of the tutorial shrines, the guy who expands your inventory and lead you to the two villages with the most sidequests.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Solving the elephant first makes dying less frusturating.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Al-Saqr posted:

Thanks!!

Turn on pro mode or whatever it's called that disables the map in the corner. Far easier to get lost in the world when you're not constantly checking where you need to go to get to the next dot.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
learn to shield surf and do it often

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

And most importantly; feel free to ignore any and all of this advice, and know that it was very unnecessary to ask.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

And most importantly; feel free to ignore any and all of this advice, and know that it was very unnecessary to ask.

The advice was good! Turning on pro mode helped remove a lot of clutter from the screen and I’ll definitely first double the stamina before filling hearts! Loving the game so far!

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Sure, but I do also struggle to think of a AAA'ish game that is better at encouraging and rewarding just doing whatever seems right to you. I guess missing the one early combat tutorial shrine is the only thing that stands out as something that'd mess up the way one plays the game a tiny bit, but otherwise the choices just add to the flavor. Not like buying a heart or two first prevented me from rapidly realizing that I wanted more stamina, which I then quite promptly got, without feeling I had made a relevant mistake.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Al-Saqr posted:

Thanks!!

I am so, so jealous of you getting to experience it from scratch!

Useful advice, parrying is well worth spending some time gitting gud at. So is cooking.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
Eh. I don’t think I’ve parried anything successfully since the tutorial and the only combat that has given me any trouble is higher-level lynels and the trial of the sword. There are plenty of tools for dealing with enemies without being good at fighting!

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Soricidus posted:

Eh. I don’t think I’ve parried anything successfully since the tutorial and the only combat that has given me any trouble is higher-level lynels and the trial of the sword. There are plenty of tools for dealing with enemies without being good at fighting!

I was thinking more of guardians than combat.

Though it's fun in combat too.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
Huh I didn’t know you could do that!

- botw.txt

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Soricidus posted:

Huh I didn’t know you could do that!

- botw.txt

You can parry pretty much anything. I've seen video of someone parrying a bokoblin a moblin threw at them, though I haven't managed that myself. Yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Hell if you do it properly, you can parry your own bomb blasts.