Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Martytoof posted:

Since upgrading to ios13, has anyone noticed that their iPad Pro 2 (or others, I guess) with official keyboard acts weird and either stops recognizing keyboard input or just types garbage until you force-quit the app in question and re-launch it?

Example:

Wake iPad Pro, try to type something in OneNote, no input. Force quit OneNote, relaunch it, all of a sudden keyboard is working. Definitely not limited to OneNote, but consistent issues across applications. Willing to concede it’s either a keyboard issue (less likely IMO) or a software issue, just wanted to see if anyone else gets same issue before I go down hardware replacement or bug filing road.

my smart keyboard just straight up stopped working. occasionally I’ll get toasts saying “this accessory is not supported”. Not exactly sure what to do about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Is the Logitech the superior keyboard to the apple smart? I'll be getting a pro for work in January and can pick my keyboard.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

CaptainCrunch posted:

Then Astropad is your best bet. Free, supports pen pressure, written by former Apple coders.
Can't beat free! I'll give it a shot on Monday morning!

CygnusTM
Oct 11, 2002

CaptainCrunch posted:

Then Astropad is your best bet. Free, supports pen pressure, written by former Apple coders.

Am I missing something? I'm not seeing a free version.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

CygnusTM posted:

Am I missing something? I'm not seeing a free version.

Ah hah! They seem to be hiding it a bit. https://astropad.com/standard/

Edit: I am dumb. Apparently I grabbed it waaaay back when it was free, and now it is not. My apologies for the disinformation.

It's still pretty solid and I recommend it for folks who (like me) with older Macs that don't support sidecar.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

TraderStav posted:

Is the Logitech the superior keyboard to the apple smart? I'll be getting a pro for work in January and can pick my keyboard.

The Logitech Slim is probably the best iPad keyboard. Includes a place for the Pencil and has a backlit keyboard. The keyboard itself is pretty good. I do not know if it’s available for the newest Pro models.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Krispy Wafer posted:

The Logitech Slim is probably the best iPad keyboard. Includes a place for the Pencil and has a backlit keyboard. The keyboard itself is pretty good. I do not know if it’s available for the newest Pro models.

I have it. It is good. It’s. t h i c c though.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

TraderStav posted:

For the Pro 2 I'm not sure how you can beat the OEM Apple keyboard. Super thin and does anything you'd want. For an OG Pro I think the Logitech is your best bet.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

What about for pro 3? I like clicky clacky keyboard

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh sorry, I meant for 3rd generation. Somehow I missed the fact that I have a 3G and not 2G.

For the 3rd gen (with the magnetic pencil) I think you’ll have a hard time beating the Apple Smart. For 1 and 2 use the Logitech, is what I meant to say I guess.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

XBenedict posted:

I have it. It is good. It’s. t h i c c though.

Thinner than the Logi Create though (which was uncomfortably thick). I liked the rear case and kickstand. You could use it with or without the keyboard pretty easily.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
The Logitech iPad Pro keyboards are thicker but feel way better than the Apple ones. If they would use the smart connector I’d have bought one yesterday. Sadly you gotta use them over Bluetooth.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I got the smart keyboard with the 10.5" iPad air and kinda regret it. It's not too nice to type on and pretty spendy. Plus not having backlight sucks.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
The pros would be a way more compelling buy for me if they made a keyboard that had a laptop hinge like the surfaces. Typing on a non-flat surface is a pretty important feature of a portable computer.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Isn't that what Brydge do?

I'm not really interested in a keyboard personally, but I've heard good things

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

tuyop posted:

The pros would be a way more compelling buy for me if they made a keyboard that had a laptop hinge like the surfaces. Typing on a non-flat surface is a pretty important feature of a portable computer.

The pro keyboard is indeed a flat cover, so not sure what you’re missing here.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Jazz Marimba posted:

my smart keyboard just straight up stopped working. occasionally I’ll get toasts saying “this accessory is not supported”. Not exactly sure what to do about it

What year is it? There’s an extended repair program for some faulty smart keyboards.

https://iphone.appleinsider.com/articles/18/04/13/apple-offers-up-extended-repair-program-for-defective-ipad-pro-smart-keyboards

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

MrBond posted:

The pro keyboard is indeed a flat cover, so not sure what you’re missing here.

Can you just prop that up in your lap or balanced on one leg without it collapsing?

I didn’t know about that brydge one though. That looks great!

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

CaptainCrunch posted:

Not free. There’s a trial. It’s 12 a month or 50 (the first year)

[Edit] didn’t see another page. Y’all sorted it out...

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

tuyop posted:

Can you just prop that up in your lap or balanced on one leg without it collapsing?

It (assuming we're talking the Apple iPad Pro keyboard cover here) can be balanced on your lap but typing will be a kinda lovely experience as it misses inputs a lot if the surface isn't rigid. If I put a book or something equally rigid under it, it'll work better.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Zwille posted:

It (assuming we're talking the Apple iPad Pro keyboard cover here) can be balanced on your lap but typing will be a kinda lovely experience as it misses inputs a lot if the surface isn't rigid. If I put a book or something equally rigid under it, it'll work better.

The current gen model? The Smart Keyboard Folio? That hasn’t been my experience at all. I can easily perch the 12.9” iPad Pro (3rd gen) + Smart Folio Keyboard on my lap and use it will zero issues. In fact I’m typing this post in my recliner with the iPad on my lap right now. No extra support or weird positioning needed.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
The Apple iPad keyboards are not as good as Logitech’s when using them as input devices, but they don’t get in your way as much when using the iPad as a tablet.

I’m having bad luck with 12.9 tablets. I keep getting periods of no touch response (up to 10 seconds). This is my second one and it gets progressively worse as time goes on. There are a couple of Apple user threads with people trying to isolate where the problem is. Like disabling pro-motion, disconnecting the Pencil, and restoring over and over again. Best I’ve heard is that it’s possibly a bad gyroscope and the tablet freezes thinking it’s being rotated. Apple, of course, says nothing, but they replaced the last one without a AppleCare deductible, which was a little surprising.

We will see what happens this time.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Proteus Jones posted:

The current gen model? The Smart Keyboard Folio? That hasn’t been my experience at all. I can easily perch the 12.9” iPad Pro (3rd gen) + Smart Folio Keyboard on my lap and use it will zero issues. In fact I’m typing this post in my recliner with the iPad on my lap right now. No extra support or weird positioning needed.
Yeah, the Face ID iPads, though I got the 11 inch version. Weird, because I’d assume the issue would be worse with the bigger iPad/folio! I can’t just tune out and type like with the Magic Keyboard, I gotta take care to really hit certain keys like the space bar and two or three other ones.

I already exchanged it once for the keyboard issues so I assume I’m typing on it wrong™. I already sorta accepted that that’s just how it is and am halfway there getting used to it.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

I type on my 12.9” Smart Keyboard a lot (right now in fact) and have never had any dropped keys or input issues.

While I haven’t tried the Logitech or Brydge options, I really like how easy it is to pop the iPad out of this keyboard and use as a naked tablet. I don’t want to mess around with disconnecting a big case every time. If you need more protection or don’t mind the extra weight in tablet mode, those would be good options though.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

TheManWithNoName posted:

I type on my 12.9” Smart Keyboard a lot (right now in fact) and have never had any dropped keys or input issues.

While I haven’t tried the Logitech or Brydge options, I really like how easy it is to pop the iPad out of this keyboard and use as a naked tablet. I don’t want to mess around with disconnecting a big case every time. If you need more protection or don’t mind the extra weight in tablet mode, those would be good options though.

How secure is the pencil in the apple case? Can easily see it bumping off while walking from meeting to meeting if it's just a magnet holding it on the side.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

TraderStav posted:

How secure is the pencil in the apple case? Can easily see it bumping off while walking from meeting to meeting if it's just a magnet holding it on the side.

It’s just a magnet holding it on the side. A pretty secure one though.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Yeah if you put it in a bag or something it’s bound to slide off but other than that it’s pretty secure. I remove it anyway when putting the iPad away because it feels like it drains a lot of battery if kept attached.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I’ve had the pencil come fly off, but always when I hit the iPad against something or bumped my arm while holding the iPad. I never looked down and didn’t know where the pencil was if it wasn’t stuck to the iPad itself. There’s always a first time for everything but I’m comfortable that it holds the pencil securely.

The only complaint I have with the Smart Keyboard is the placement of the language key. I’m always flubbing that with my palm and BAM I’m typing Japanese by accident.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Martytoof posted:

The only complaint I have with the Smart Keyboard is the placement of the language key. I’m always flubbing that with my palm and BAM I’m typing Japanese by accident.

Just lean into it and make it part of your personal brand

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
The Smart Keyboard covers are garbage. The customer reviews are (or were, they look better now than they used to) awful, mine is broken to the point that the iPad goes insane if you connect it, and I was pretty cautious with it. I know at least two people with failed smart keyboards, one of which is literally on his third one, and he’s a cautious cs prof.

I don’t trust them enough to buy another, given how expensive they are. I got a returned foldable Microsoft Bluetooth keyboard on clearance that I super like. Sometimes I’ll just use a normal Apple Mac keyboard, because they work very well together.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I might get the company to swap mine out since I don't really pay for it myself, but I value the thin profile of my iPad above almost everything so unless there's another just-as-thin option I'll likely keep going back to the Apple well for this peripheral :(

And I say I value the thin profile, but realistically with two of my thin bags the profile would make the difference between sliding the iPad in and having to jam it in.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Anyone have experience with the Brydge? I'd be worried about the longevity of the hinges with a keyboard that expensive.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

I also value the profile which is why I originally bought it. But a separate mobile keyboard and a normal iPad cover takes up similar amounts of room; it’s the third party attached covers that get unreasonably thick.

If you can keep getting replacements at no personal cost though I get wanting to stick with that route.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I had the Smart Keyboard for my original Pro replaced for free. New one seems to be working fine. Every other option I've ever seen has been twice as thick and not nearly as convenient.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
iPad Pro users: How do yo best solve the logistics of charging an iPad Pro and an iPhone? I love the Pro, but the old iPad was more convenient in that I only had to bring one charger and one cable to charge both my iPhone and the iPad. Now I have to bring two chargers, each with their own cable.

...Or do I? Is there any recommended charger for both my iPhone and my iPad (with their own cables, unfortunately)?

This is on the Apple Store but it's hella expensive for a charger IMO: https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/product/HN7L2B/A/anker-powerport-ii-pd-2-port-usb-wall-charger-with-usb-c-cable

Xabi fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Nov 20, 2019

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Xabi posted:

iPad Pro users: How do yo best solve the logistics of charging an iPad Pro and an iPhone? I love the Pro, but the old iPad was more convenient in that I only had to bring one charger and one cable to charge both my iPhone and the iPad. Now I have to bring two chargers, each with their own cable.

...Or do I? Is there any recommended charger for both my iPhone and my iPad (with their own cables, unfortunately)?

This is on the Apple Store but it's hella expensive for a charger IMO: https://www.apple.com/shop/product/HN7L2ZM/A/anker-powerport-ii-pd-2-port-usb-wall-charger-with-usb-c-cable

I'm confused. If you could get away with one charger before, why can't you use one charger and two cables now?

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
I don’t blame you, as my post was a bit confusing and perhaps my thought process itself is silly.

I’ve accumulated x number of USB-A to lightning cables over the years and thought I should keep them (as I lose them, break them etc). I’ll probably end up buying x number of USB-C to lightning cables with the other solution. It just seems like a waste, but it might be the best solution anyway.

I was also wondering if there was a good solution for charging both devices at the same time (something I couldn’t do before).

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Xabi posted:

This is on the Apple Store but it's hella expensive for a charger IMO: https://www.apple.com/shop/product/HN7L2ZM/A/anker-powerport-ii-pd-2-port-usb-wall-charger-with-usb-c-cable

It's only $29.99 at Amazon

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

You have a few options. This seems to actually be better than the one Apple is selling (up to 45W over USB-C and 15W over USB-A versus 30W and 15W, respectively) while also cheaper - though it doesn't include a cable. This one seems to be identical to the one Apple is selling for half the price with no cable. Second, you can move into 2019 and just use USB-C for everything. Here's a 36W one and this one is 60W. The other option is to get USB-A multi-port things and find a USB-A to USB-C cable for your iPad, but that will be slow to charge, I think. Personally, I think just getting USB-C everything makes the most sense since that is what Apple is shipping with new devices now, so you'll probably end up with those. Keep your USB-A to Lightning cables around for connecting to older things, if you must.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Anker also sells multiple bank usb chargers that include a usb-c port, which is what I use for my phone, watch, iPad, and headphones. https://www.anker.com/products/variant/powerport-speed-pd-5/A2056111