Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Still super funny that the only strategy left to the lib dems is literally attempting to trick people into voting for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mighty Steed
Apr 16, 2005
Nice horsey

Endjinneer posted:

A takeaway from this- Dominic Cummings has been kept away from the campaign so far, but as it's not going well there will probably be a power struggle which he'll win. That'll mean his deeply toxic and divisive tactics are going to come into play in the next week or two, especially if Boris bombs the debate on Tuesday.
One of the things Cummings attributed his referendum success to was using funds for total saturation in the last days, rather than a drip feed. We're winning the air war, we own the ground, the manifesto release is going to bring a huge burst of support but we need to be ready for their eleventh hour banzai charge.

They have anchored their campaign around Boris as a charismatic, popular, and effective campaigner but he's been poo poo, mostly because he's notoriously lazy and relies on getting laughs.

He's struggling more than May was at the same point in 2017 I'd say and clearly not up to a long campaign where he's under immense personal pressure, Tuesday's debate is going to be very interesting.

Expect that Wednesday's front pages have already been written though.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
For those of you receiving election leaflets (dodgy or otherwise) please upload them to https://electionleaflets.org so we can catalogue them :)

Additionally if you're in contact with a candidate or their press team have them fill out their details and/or photo on https://whocanivotefor.co.uk as a lot of the press election widgets use this database as their backend

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

XMNN posted:

about to go knock on some doors :ohdear:

I know this was a lot of pages back, but I hope it went well!

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I must have missed the campaign in my village, I have a leaflet

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Even for the tories this is unbelievably monstrous. Utter wickedness.

How can anyone support this? How are there people this broke-brained and hateful?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Some funny comments follow this tweet:

https://twitter.com/pongosapien/status/1195633296950145025?s=20

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

https://twitter.com/Lokinash06/status/1195715467991801861?s=19

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Barry Foster posted:

How can anyone support this? How are there people this broke-brained and hateful?

They want to be seen making "tough, realistic decisions" at a time when Labour has to fight to convince people that dreams of a caring future may come partway true.

pitch a fitness
Mar 19, 2010

Cerebral Bore posted:

Still super funny that the only strategy left to the lib dems is literally attempting to trick people into voting for them.

Just wanting it to collide with the LibDem/FBPE you should only be allowed to use facts in campaigns ProfessorBrain Cox crowd

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

pitch a fitness posted:

Just wanting it to collide with the LibDem/FBPE you should only be allowed to use facts in campaigns ProfessorBrain Cox crowd

It seems to have started to, tbf. I've not seen anything like the rabid FBPE brainworms that I did during the council and europarl elections.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

gh0stpinballa posted:

and with that new fiscal policy, the lib dems suicide note is complete. bye bye lib dems!

By the looks of it, it's basically more austerity. :shepicide:

quote:

The government should run a permanent spending surplus, the Liberal Democrats have said in a bid to position themselves as the toughest party on public finances.

Laying out the party's economic pitch in a speech in Leeds, deputy leader Ed Davey insisted the Conservatives and Labour were offering "fantasies" which would wreck the public finances.

And he claimed the Lib Dems are now the leading pro-business party as he pledged to crack down on US tech giants to help British start-ups challenge larger firms in future.

Sir Ed said that if they got into government, the Lib Dems would run a 1 per cent surplus on current spending - meaning that day-to-day costs of public services would be lower than the amount raised in taxes. He claimed a "Remain bonus" would help shore up state finances.

Borrowing would only be allowed to pay for capital investment projects judged by an independent watchdog to generate more money for the taxpayer than their initial cost.

The fiscal rule is stricter than that proposed by the Conservatives, which would see current spending balancing taxation within three years. Labour also want a balanced budget but say it would take five years to reach. Sir Ed told activists: "Just look at the contrast with the other two parties. The spending competition between the Brexit parties, the Labour and Conservative fantasists, has made Santa Claus seem like Scrooge."

The Lib Dem plans are in some ways stricter than the fiscal rules introduced by George Osborne when he was Chancellor - raising the prospect of a swift return to austerity.

Sir Ed said the party would raise spending, for example on childcare, but would balance it out by a rise in corporation taxes and capital gains tax. He added: "You can still meet fiscal rules and be economically responsible, and make important environmental, social and economic investments. You just have to be honest about where the money's coming from. So on the revenue side we've talked about a Remain bonus, but we've also talked about modest tax rises."

The Lib Dems are calling for tougher new rules on competition which could see company bosses jailed if they breach antitrust laws - claiming this would help start-ups from the UK to challenge the entrenched champions. Sir Ed told i: "These big corporates, particularly from the USA, are just taking us to the cleaners. The Tories are going to be soft on big business and give the tech giants a free pass." He dismissed Labour's call for a nationalised broadband service as "just mad economics".

The Lib Dems face continued questions over what they would do in the event of a hung parliament, when the party could hold the balance of power. They said they could work with a minority government led by Boris Johnson or Jeremy Corbyn on an "issue by issue" but ruled out a formal coalition or confidence and supply pact.

Also the irony of talking about fantasists, while also talking about a Remain/Revoke Brexit Dividend "Bonus" or whatever the gently caress.

Barry Foster posted:

Because some people are loving evil, sadly.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Nov 16, 2019

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
https://twitter.com/parthaskar/status/1195624363418169345?s=19

Out of curiosity what is the correct way of politely asking about someone's family heritage without sounding like a big old racist?

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

ThomasPaine posted:

https://twitter.com/parthaskar/status/1195624363418169345?s=19

Out of curiosity what is the correct way of politely asking about someone's family heritage without sounding like a big old racist?

what's your heritage my n-word

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Ratjaculation posted:

what's your heritage my n-word

Lmao

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Azza Bamboo posted:

They want to be seen making "tough, realistic decisions" at a time when Labour has to fight to convince people that dreams of a caring future may come partway true.

But children, ffs

I know that there are plenty of gammons and shrivel hearted boomers who are just fine with this. It just blows my mind sometimes how loving wicked people can be

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Trees grow quicker over shallow graves.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jo swinson does not know the difference between a spade and a shovel apparently.

Ojo
Jul 4, 2003

Well... when I said that I had a plan, I meant that I have to plan... the plan.

ThomasPaine posted:

Same way you'd ask a white person. So in the vast majority of situations, not at all.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Barry Foster posted:

DOMINIC loving RAAB is advocating for them to return. If that lizard brained prick wants to get these British kids out of hell things must be truly hosed.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

ThomasPaine posted:

What would inspire a person's curiosity about someone else as to become inquisitive about their heritage?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

ThomasPaine posted:

Have a normal conversation, during the course of it they'll definitely tell you if they want to.

OwlFancier posted:

Jo swinson does not know the difference between a spade and a shovel apparently.
Kevin McNamara does.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Just get a ancestory.co.uk premium account, swab their empty tea mugs and send off the swab like i do.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

ThomasPaine posted:

When they're distracted, discreetly measure their skull with calipers.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Cut them open and count the rings.
Oh wait, thats for age.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
reach your hands in and stretch the ring

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

my best friend just had a fantastic comrade rant about the lovely state of his workplace (postie)

a tear of hope ran down my face

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.
Delving down the rabbit hole of the cube building that caught fire last night.

Apart from the very dodgy ownership of the building as a whole.

Urban student life, the management company, is registered as Valeo USL Ltd

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/10947713

Their accounts are overdue

They're owned by Valeo USL Holdco Ltd

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/11108297

And they're founded by one Ted Rollins, a US venture capitalist who founded Valeo Groupe

So we have a US venture capital fund acquiring a UK student management company, with a history of fire safety issues, managing a building that failed its 2017 post-Grenfell safety check, and whose ownership is obfuscated behind a holding company that has no existence outside company's house.

PST fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Nov 16, 2019

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Just had a sharp reminder to self that many people are clueless about what I assume is 'common knowledge'. So easy to assume most people know the same things I do.
A labour person on my FB posted a list of Jo Swinson's voting record. Some other labour campaigners have commented variations on 'that's really useful, I didn't know any of that, good to know for when we're canvassing'.
I'm thinking 'how can you not know that?'

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jose posted:

Typical soft southerner

I'm probably not helping my case by saying the hat wasn't so much for warmth but because the wind was ruining my hair, am I?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Edit ^^^^ oh dear. Pics of quaff as justification please

Not everyone is a broke brained politics junkie like us weirdos I guess

Barry Foster fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Nov 16, 2019

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Necrothatcher posted:

DOMINIC loving RAAB is advocating for them to return. If that lizard brained prick wants to get these British kids out of hell things must be truly hosed.

Even soulless Tory shill, Matthew D'Ancona thinks it's loving bad, and his only reason for living is to suck tory boot.
https://twitter.com/MatthewdAncona/status/1195737018208333824

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Barry Foster posted:

Edit ^^^^ oh dear. Pics of quaff as justification please

What have my drinking habits got to do with anything?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Pesky Splinter posted:

By the looks of it, it's basically more austerity. :shepicide:

Also the irony of talking about fantasists, while also talking about a Remain/Revoke Brexit Dividend "Bonus" or whatever the gently caress.

As well as being a morally monstrous policy, refusing to borrow at a time when interest rates are basically zero is just monumentally loving stupid. Do not let these absolute loving morons anywhere near government, for the love of god.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

What have my drinking habits got to do with anything?

Ah gently caress u predictive text

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo

Rarity posted:

loving hell, did they say why?

Apparently I made statements in class in favor of Islamic Jihad in Gaza which I have no recollection of. Hopefully this will all blow over.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Barry Foster posted:

Ah gently caress u predictive text

https://twitter.com/MarshadeCordova/status/1195679526237409280

I'm theoretically visible in this image but can't even see myself there.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

Reveilled posted:

I feel like the best way to turn back the tide in westminister for Scottish seats might be to forcefully shunt independence down to the Scottish Parliament level, with a position more along the lines of "Labour is opposed to independence, but we respect the right of the Scottish parliament to call a referendum on the matter", which is kind of the current position of the UK leadership, but absolutely not the position of Scottish Labour, which muddies the waters. One of the things which damaged Labour so heavily was a feeling that UK Labour didn't care about Scottish concerns, a message of "We will listen to the Scottish Parliament" might work towards undoing that. I don't think it will turn SNP voters back to Labour right away, but I think it will work gradually if those Scottish voters who moved to the SNP from Labour feel like they're being listened to.

I feel like the position Labour needs to take on independence is not a pro- or anti- one, but a sort of radical apathy, a strongly presented position that it just won't make a difference. ScotLab sort of tried this in the aftermath of the referendum, but it didn't work because feelings were too raw then and they were going to suffer the fallout of their previous choice to share a stage with the tories, and because, well, they were charisma vacuum blairites who couldn't offer a radical alternative vision of Scotland and the UK. Now they've backed off that after it killed them in the following elections, but I think it was the right strategy for the wrong time and the wrong policies. Any time it comes up, Scottish Labour politicians should deflect to "Independence won't solve Scotland's problems" instead of "Most successful political union blah blah".

Or to put it another way, Labour's message on independence needs to be a bar chart with the Tories in second place that says "Independence won't end Tory rule".

This is basically what I think. Scottish Labour are starting from a point of no credibility. They can't be the No party - the Tories have that sewn up. A policy that it is up to the people of Scotland is probably the only way to regain credibility on the issue.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

https://twitter.com/MarshadeCordova/status/1195679526237409280

I'm theoretically visible in this image but can't even see myself there.

Well thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Ojo posted:

Same way you'd ask a white person. So in the vast majority of situations, not at all.

Azza Bamboo posted:

What would inspire a person's curiosity about someone else as to become inquisitive about their heritage?

Simmer down, I would if for example they had an accent I didn't recognise.

Obviously it's often a form of racism where someone is like 'where are you really from' over and over again and not taking 'Birmingham' as an answer for very obvious reasons, but surely in the first instance sometimes it can represent just a genuine desire to know know about a person's social and cultural background. This is of course going to depend on where you are too and what the demographic makeup is like - asking it of a Polynesian guy you bump into working as a fisherman in northern Russia is very different to doing the same to random shopkeepers with brown skin in London. Also yes, I would agree that in no situation is it an acceptable thing to lead with, but could in some cases be alright once you've developed a rapport with someone?

I could be very wrong here of course, so please do tell me if I am!