Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Bust Rodd posted:

The complete and utter lack of ceremony or impact when Cal discovers/builds his Double-Bladed Lightsaber is so ridiculously jarring. This feels like it should have some level of significance and it has absolutely none.

The next saber upgrade actually gets some recognition as being epic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

I wonder if a soldier ever does mend a bullet hole in his coat?
Wish the game would let BD scan the scomp box locations so I don't have to explore the whole map again searching for them in the future.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Lead Psychiatry posted:

Wish the game would let BD scan the scomp box locations so I don't have to explore the whole map again searching for them in the future.

Cal probably just never thinks to ask him, the concept of boxes seems to elude him as he's still basically "WHOA WHAT THE HECK??" when BD dives into one to get supplies or treasure for the few dozenth time.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I have been anticipating this game but have read and seen about the console technical issues. Are these things that the PC version can avoid if you have a good computer

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I have been anticipating this game but have read and seen about the console technical issues. Are these things that the PC version can avoid if you have a good computer

I'm able to run the game on max settings and there have only been a couple of small glitches for me. Some of the load times are still lovely though.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Captain Hygiene posted:

Cal probably just never thinks to ask him, the concept of boxes seems to elude him as he's still basically "WHOA WHAT THE HECK??" when BD dives into one to get supplies or treasure for the few dozenth time.

He’s reacting to BD diving in before he can check himself but that doesn’t make it any less funny when he reacts like that every time.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Kibayasu posted:

He’s reacting to BD diving in before he can check himself but that doesn’t make it any less funny when he reacts like that every time.

Oh yeah, but there's at least one reaction that's something like "Where are you going?", that doesn't quite make sense, making it easier to believe Cal's just constantly baffled.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I demand a new Star Wars game where you play as the baby Yoda from the Mandalorian.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
My dude please no spoilers

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

lmao I keep forgetting there's even a way to heal thanks to the minimalist interface. I just went through a pretty grueling section about ten times, grumbling about how far it was between checkpoints when there's combat strung through most of it. Finally got to the end with exactly one blip of health remaining, and the meditation point reminded me that stim canisters were refilled :arghfist::saddowns:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

JBP posted:

The best you ever get is pushing a lot of people over at once.

"Oh look, new enemy! On a bridge with no guardrails!"
*5 seconds later*
"Oh wait, I could have scanned him."

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
It feels very good to play such a graceful and talented warrior as a Jedi.

https://gfycat.com/welloffsatisfiedannelid

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Why does the sprinting feel so rear end in this? It's a tossup if Cal will sprint for more than a second or two when I click the stick down.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Combat is a little too sloppy for how deadly it is on max, but I'm having an absolute blast with it. BD1 is great, the heal animation is awesome and silly, and baddies loudly announce "fight me coward" as I push them to their deaths. Also the tutorial prompt of "RB Use the Force" is a neat bit of gameolay and story integration.

Sliding down a ramp dodging obstacles (that can't hurt you) is nowhere near as exciting as the devs deem to think it is though.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Sliding down a ramp dodging obstacles (that can't hurt you) is nowhere near as exciting as the devs deem to think it is though.

This is the one component I actively dislike so far. It feels like a thoughtless rip from Tomb Raider, but weirdly clumsy in execution compared to just about everything else. At least you just bounce off stuff instead of meeting an overly gruesome end every time.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

An hour or so in and it's pretty with good production design and the core mechanics feel satisfying without being too fiddly. Can't complain for 15 bucks that also unlocked a bunch of shootman games too.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Thom12255 posted:

This game is better than The Force Unleashed.

Yeah I prefer ice cream over dog poo poo, too

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I wish that the dang combat was a little tighter. For the core of the game it just doesn’t quite feel snappy and also I agree the party window just isn’t quite right. It’s easy enough to power through on Jedi master though.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

rebinding attack to r1/rb and force attack to RT made this game so much more comfortable

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
I think the parry timing is earlier than we're used to from Soulsalikes. When you're expecting the button press to coincide with the moment of impact it's gonna feel a bit sloppy. As far as I can tell, the parry animation has to actually intersect the enemy attack, so you have to start it earlier and have the animation be nearly over when the hit, uh, hits. Also, I'm pretty sure you can't cancel an attack into a parry, so a three-press attack string will often leave you open at the end before you can get the parry up (and then a goat thing will kick you to death). That is, between the attacks ending and the parry taking effect you are fully vulnerable.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Thom12255 posted:

This game is better than The Force Unleashed.

The Force Unleashed had the aim of "kicking someone's rear end with the Force". I know they had to dial it down to make Fallen Order more in line with the movies but I miss and will miss the over-the-top display of devastation in TFU, forever.

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today
I'm not saying this game is amazing or anything, but it's pretty good and well worth paying for a month of Origin Premiere. I'm not super experienced with AAA games, so I don't know if this is the norm, but this game makes me think that anything can happen at any moment from anywhere.

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004
The gameplay is fun but these god drat maps are a slog. Just finished Kashyyk and I don’t know how much longer I can go.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
There are so many “Gotcha!” enemy placements in Dathomir this planet sucks rear end.

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004
Yeah I’m not running all the way through Zeffo again.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

I'm having no luck getting this thing running smoothly on pc. The game stutters on all of the areas loading in and out as I run around so it's 60fps in a small area then big framerate dips anytime I'm running around. It's especially funny on any of the sliding bits because the animation is so herky jerky. The Giant Bomb quicklook on a ps4 pro had the same issue but it didn't seem quite as bad as mine on pc.

If anyone else is having the same problem, many people on the jedi fallen order tech forum have found that whitelisting the game in Acronis Active Protection has cleared up the stutter. I don't have that on mine but hopefully that helps someone out.

If any of you that are having issues figure your stuttering issues out please reply in the thread or pm me. I've tried so many things at this point that I'm just gonna hold out on a patch at this point.

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today

screech on the beach posted:

Yeah I’m not running all the way through Zeffo again.

Was Zeffo the Zelda dungeon?

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Jolo posted:

I'm having no luck getting this thing running smoothly on pc. The game stutters on all of the areas loading in and out as I run around so it's 60fps in a small area then big framerate dips anytime I'm running around. It's especially funny on any of the sliding bits because the animation is so herky jerky. The Giant Bomb quicklook on a ps4 pro had the same issue but it didn't seem quite as bad as mine on pc.

If anyone else is having the same problem, many people on the jedi fallen order tech forum have found that whitelisting the game in Acronis Active Protection has cleared up the stutter. I don't have that on mine but hopefully that helps someone out.

If any of you that are having issues figure your stuttering issues out please reply in the thread or pm me. I've tried so many things at this point that I'm just gonna hold out on a patch at this point.

You’ve tried setting the priority to ‘realtime ’?

EA’s pc version of madden needed this fix for me too

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

Strom Cuzewon posted:

and baddies loudly announce "fight me coward" as I push them to their deaths.
my favourite thing is when the stormtroopers insult you for doing bad. which you typically deserve. also, conversely, when they compliment you for doing well at deflecting and parrying. thanks, you guys.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Yeah the trooper voices are great, I enjoy when I get too close and they immediately follow up on their threat of hitting me.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Aside from typical UE4 issues with asset streaming I've had no technical problems on PC using an Nvidia GPU with latest drivers.

This thread makes it sound like the PS4 version has issues, but PC seems good.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Lmao I was fighting two Stormtroopers scouts in melee and a rocket Stormtroopers shot a rocket that killed Cal and one of the scouts. As the screen faded to black the remaining scout said "uh... OK then." Good stuff.

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

Jolo posted:

Grog posted:

I also had stuttering, but I'm on a Ryzen 3600 and GTX 1060. Halfway through the tutorial planet, I tried a few things at once so I'm not sure exactly which (mostly) fixed it: set the Window Mode to Fullscreen instead of Windowed Fullscreen, enabled VSync, and disabled the Origin in-game overlay. I just tried turning the overlay back on and it still seems to have stopped hitching on the third planet I'm currently on, so changing the window mode to Fullscreen or turning on the game's VSync might help.

e: Also, I have no idea if the 441.20 "Game Ready" Nvidia driver improves things or not, as I'm currently still on 441.12 but it seems to be working fine. If you haven't installed the newest driver, you could try that too and see if it helps.

Oh yeah, I also forgot that I changed the "power management mode" for the game in the Nvidia control panel to "Prefer Maximum Performance." I'm not sure if that actually makes any difference, though.
You can try that stuff. It stopped my game from stuttering constantly near the start to barely ever stuttering, except a brief one at certain spots when the game loads the next area.

Although now I've run into the same issue somebody mentioned a couple of pages ago, where the game thinks it's not fully downloaded and won't let me travel between planets. Time to try to fix that, I guess.

e: Actually, mine seems to have fixed itself after doing the basic "check for updates and verify files" thing. If the person who couldn't get theirs fixed still hasn't, sorry. Hopefully they'll fix these issues in an upcoming patch.

some dillweed fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Nov 16, 2019

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
One time a Stormtrooper got a clean shot on me and he said "Oh no... I shouldn't have done that"

I felt really bad

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Two storm troopers who were above me. “We should be fine, we have the high ground”

Jinx
Sep 9, 2001

Violence and Bloodshed

Casnorf posted:

I think the parry timing is earlier than we're used to from Soulsalikes. When you're expecting the button press to coincide with the moment of impact it's gonna feel a bit sloppy. As far as I can tell, the parry animation has to actually intersect the enemy attack, so you have to start it earlier and have the animation be nearly over when the hit, uh, hits. Also, I'm pretty sure you can't cancel an attack into a parry, so a three-press attack string will often leave you open at the end before you can get the parry up (and then a goat thing will kick you to death). That is, between the attacks ending and the parry taking effect you are fully vulnerable.

I literally have no loving idea what the parry window for melee purge troopers is and despite playing Nioh, DS3 and The Surge games, I don't feel like I am learning as much from this game's combat as I did with these other games.You're definitely correct about the parry window being much earlier, but for some enemies it is really weird and for the faster enemies I don't think I will ever be able to parry them. I even turned it down to jedi knight and combat with purge troopers is a total shitshow.

The main disappointments for me is that the skill tree unlocks too slowly and all the stuff you find is purely cosmetic.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Fuzz posted:

This game is really good, this thread is sorta bad. Really, that's the OP?

It's a very average game.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Jinx posted:

I literally have no loving idea what the parry window for melee purge troopers is

I've only fought one so far, but as best can tell, they're not staggered by a single parry. You either parry the whole chain or block until they do the unblockable, or dodge and wait and chip them down in the unblockable's recovery. I'm not really good enough to do multiple parries consecutively so I guess you know what I ended up doing.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
I'm disappointed that the very first parry you do doesn't cut their weapon in half and then the rest of the game is a brutal smackdown as everything the stormtroopers bring to the table gets sliced and diced, complete with comedic reaction voiceovers from them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

More good stormtrooper dialogue as I'm facing off one on one with a rocket trooper, ts I'm trying to get the timing for pushing the rockets back.

[confidently] "He can't handle fighting us!"
*I take yet another rocket to the face*
[a bit more abashed and uncertain] "Maybe I...shouldn't have hit him..."