Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

I just had a raid battle where the light beam at the den was purple instead of red. Does that mean anything? The Dwebble I got out of it doesn't seem any different from a normal dynamax raid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes

ImpAtom posted:

Pokemon is easy pretty much no matter what so being over leveled doesn't significantly change the experience. If you want challenges it's better to do things like Nuzlockes.

There's easy, and then there's easy, though.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Um... Cramorant can grab things other than a fish when he uses dive...

edit: He spit the Pikachu at me and it PARALYZED ME :psyduck:

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

BearDrivingTruck posted:

There's easy, and then there's easy, though.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

BearDrivingTruck posted:

Look at my Super Cool Kid

Hot drat, super tempted to steal that look.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Hot drat, super tempted to steal that look.

You can get everything for it by Motostoke.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Macaluso posted:

Um... Cramorant can grab things other than a fish when he uses dive...

edit: He spit the Pikachu at me and it PARALYZED ME :psyduck:

*deep sigh* i regret to inform you the game is good

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

for all the parts that are lacking in polish, I'm glad gamefreak chose to spend resources creating the trainer card system. Yeah, it's basically irrelevant overall, but drat if the cards aren't snazzy.

ConanThe3rd posted:

So, reaching the Card Maker, I had the choice of the Kamen Rider, Ginyu or Gunbuster Pose;

I like to say I made the right choice for my Sword character.

Also Waifu2x does wonders for dealing with the Switch -> twitter upload
thanks for the tip about that, I never would've thought to use that to scale stuff that isn't just linework

Dad Jokes posted:

I just had a raid battle where the light beam at the den was purple instead of red. Does that mean anything? The Dwebble I got out of it doesn't seem any different from a normal dynamax raid.
the purple light + clouds effect means "this 'mon is rare, you normally can't catch it until later in the game." IE: I caught a scraggy in one, but the only scraggy in the wild area are in the level 40+ zone.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I had no idea what Falinks was then I ran into it and immediately added it to my team

Some of the new designs are really good

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I have team that consists only of brand new pokemon and that's not going to change

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
https://twitter.com/m64_ss/status/1195791938311479296

Super No Vacancy posted:

*deep sigh* i regret to inform you the game is good

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

already annoyed by how many of my cute mons have turned ugly before level 30. give us third-stage baby pokemon

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Man I love being told that I'm not allowed to join a turn based raid battle because my internet apparently isn't good enough. Great poo poo Nintendo.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Machop caught a fish Thhhiiiiiiiiiiiiiiisssss big

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Saagonsa posted:

Man I love being told that I'm not allowed to join a turn based raid battle because my internet apparently isn't good enough. Great poo poo Nintendo.

Can they implement this into Smash Bros

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Saagonsa posted:

get better internet

(Alternatively you can do it by yourself with AI partners)

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I cannot get a Cramorant to spawn :mad:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
big news

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Andrast posted:

get better internet

(Alternatively you can do it by yourself with AI partners)

I live in the middle of nowhere there is no better internet lol

Macaluso posted:

Can they implement this into Smash Bros

It's there. It just has to be reeeeeeeeally bad.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Saagonsa posted:

AI partners it is then.

It could also just be a bad wifi signal

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I can’t join any raids either despite having good internet thats flawless in smash so

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Posting again: Pokédex recommendations loving rule.

As for raids I’ve yet to join a single one.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Saagonsa posted:

not much you can do about that, but something that might help is to get a usb <-> ethernet adapter and run a line directly from your modem to your dock. Because even if you have a good wifi signal, it's made by nintendo.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Pokemon is easy pretty much no matter what so being over leveled doesn't significantly change the experience. If you want challenges it's better to do things like Nuzlockes.

I dont expect a pokemon to be anything other than easy, but I've still been really impressed by how well tuned the leveling curve is. I thought I was gonna be badly overleveled at the first gym, but was pleasantly surprised to find myself slightly underleveled if anything. I mean it's still easy, but not to the funkilling nothing-you-do-matters degree of like X and Y.

Sword and Shield is turning out much better than I would have guessed

Edit: I caught a dynamax tyrogue before even getting to the first big city, that was cool. Also I named my Krabby Dutch Hammer before finding out I need the Gigantamax version :saddowns:

THE FUCKING MOON fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Nov 16, 2019

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Are the people finding Swoosh unusually easy (Even by Pkmn standards) running a single team they don't change around much? I'm curious because I'm switching most mons around all the time aside from my starter and Gyaradeez and this is honestly the 'toughest' Poke game I've played in ages.

Aside from fighting Hop though, lmao how is he so bad at this

X_ThePerfect
Jul 31, 2010
May be confirmation bias, but having flash fire Pokemon in the lead might increase your chance of finding fire centipede on route 3.

I had got my new best friend vulpix and ended up immediately replacing it with a newer best friend this way, and ended up with two more sizzlipedes by the time I hit the mine.

This game is so good though, I haven’t even got to the first gym but have put hours in just strolling around the wild area and fighting raids.

Edit - flash fire, not flame body. I didn’t have my game open.

X_ThePerfect fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Nov 16, 2019

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I’m rotating the bottom 3 but my core team is the 3 starters and I’m destroying everything in my way and also catching poo poo without even bothering to fight it with poke balls. It’s pretty great! Like I have just 3 badges and my Pokédex is already at 93/122. It’s INSANE how much poo poo you can catch and play without before the game really gets going. This should be gimmick playthroughs pretty drat varied for y’all.

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

one thing I like about raids is that you get to see other people's nicknamed pokemon

because I just played with a guy named "peepeetime" who named his scorbunny "Meth"

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

The wild area is cool, first thing I did was run at an Onix thinking everything would be scaled to my level. Not so much...

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Blaziken386 posted:

not much you can do about that, but something that might help is to get a usb <-> ethernet adapter and run a line directly from your modem to your dock. Because even if you have a good wifi signal, it's made by nintendo.

Yeah I might try that. Only thing is that I'm working with a US cellular hotspot modem, so it's not really an amazing connection that Nintendo would ever like. Just kinda frustrating cause like, this kind of restriction makes sense for smash bros. It is baffling for pokemon.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

I beat that level 26 Onix with my level 13 Sobble because I had water pulse and it was raining

It.. gave a fair amount of EXP

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Is the once-a-day battle bakery literally the only place to get alcremie sweets? Because I've gotten a Castelia Cone and a Whipped Dream, but not the heart sweet I need, and praying to the (once-daily!!!) RNG seems extremely annoying

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

is there a list of just pokemon with unusual evolution mechanics

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Blaziken386 posted:

Is the once-a-day battle bakery literally the only place to get alcremie sweets? Because I've gotten a Castelia Cone and a Whipped Dream, but not the heart sweet I need, and praying to the (once-daily!!!) RNG seems extremely annoying

Are you looking for a specific sweet?

There's one sweet just lying around in hammerlocke

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Ms Adequate posted:

Aside from fighting Hop though, lmao how is he so bad at this

Didn't your "rival" take the pokemon strong against your starter in the old games?

In this one Hop takes the one who is weak to you and its just super easymode to roll him every time.

"Wow, you really know about type advantages!" :doh: Every. Fight.

But its for children so whatever.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
I ran into that same onyx with my own sobble, god bless the RNG for making it use Screech twice instead of attacking.

RE Curry, is there a timing element to it like poffin baking or are you just mashing and spinning buttons and sticks as fast as possible? And when you put your heart in do you get a better curry by waiting for the circle to nearly close?

I also had to join the 420 club, no regrets.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Where's false swipe at?

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

Didn't your "rival" take the pokemon strong against your starter in the old games?

In this one Hop takes the one who is weak to you and its just super easymode to roll him every time.

"Wow, you really know about type advantages!" :doh: Every. Fight.

But its for children so whatever.

At some point they changed it so that your friend gets the weaker one and your actual rival gets the stronger one.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Id be interested to see what percentage picked 420. I saw you get three digits to work with and I mean come on, is there even a real decision to be made there :2bong:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
How do you actually join other people's raids