Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

I've never handled a muzzle loader before but I imagine you would never load it except immediately before firing since once you've packed everything down the barrel you wouldn't have any way of retrieving it except discharging your musket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Class Warcraft posted:

I've never handled a muzzle loader before but I imagine you would never load it except immediately before firing since once you've packed everything down the barrel you wouldn't have any way of retrieving it except discharging your musket.

It depends a lot on the soldier carrying it. I've heard conflicting accounts from all over the place as to whether you'd keep it loaded or not, but a general theme suggests that you'd keep it loaded if you were guarding something or on picket duty, but otherwise not. I would imagine the longer you keep a musket loaded the greater the chance of a misfire once you finally decide to use it.

As an interesting historical tidbit, flintlocks were popular among the guards of powder stores in the English Civil War rather than the more common and cheaper matchlock. I wonder why? ;)

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I can say with certainty that Von Steuben's drill, at any rate, assumed soldiers were falling in with loaded muskets.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Endman posted:

It depends a lot on the soldier carrying it. I've heard conflicting accounts from all over the place as to whether you'd keep it loaded or not, but a general theme suggests that you'd keep it loaded if you were guarding something or on picket duty, but otherwise not.

I am pretty certain this is the case. Another consideration is that long term exposure to black powder is bad for metal, so unless you had reason to think you may need to shoot at a moments notice you would keep it unloaded.

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
I remember reading that you wouldn't even have the flint fitted while marching.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

zokie posted:

I remember reading that you wouldn't even have the flint fitted while marching.

I'd be worried about losing the flint, yeah.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

LatwPIAT posted:

If they're inert props, it's probably someone zealously teaching modern firearms safety out of a belief that this must be drilled into people just in case they ever handle real firearms.

I feel this might vary by location. The chances of ever handling real firearms in the UK for example are going to be...low for most people (granted a musket is less of an ask than a modern pistol for example).

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Correct Green question: Is the engine deck of a tank a dumb place to model stowage on a WW2 tank? Would the engine deck get hot enough that it would be a fire hazard? I've read in multiple accounts that infantry riding tanks would stay off the engine deck because of the heat, but is it "uncomfortable to sit on" hot or "will set a cloth tarp on fire" hot?

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

JcDent posted:

I'd be worried about losing the flint, yeah.

Or it continually getting caught on things, tearing clothes and skin.

Class Warcraft posted:

Black powder and its fouling is hygroscopic, meaning it tends to absorb moisture from the air. This translates to increasing unreliability in high humidity and rust as well. This can be cleared by discharging the firearm (if the powder and priming charge are still dry enough to do so) but it can also be dealt with by using a bullet puller on a ramrod (essentially, a screw that digs into a musket ball and extracts it) to remove the bullet or ball from the barrel and then dump out the powder and proceed with cleaning out any powder residue.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Geisladisk posted:

but is it "uncomfortable to sit on" hot or "will set a cloth tarp on fire" hot?

I think it's just "uncomfortable to sit on" hot

Also my Shermans have all kinds of gear on the back, so if it's wrong we can look stupid together.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
That Sherman also has the M2 mounted so that the commander's hatch can't open, but also Shermans have taught us that just because sticking <thing> to <place> is a terrible idea doesn't mean the troops won't do it.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Arquinsiel posted:

but also Shermans have taught us that just because sticking <thing> to <place> is a terrible idea doesn't mean the troops won't do it.

Like massive slabs of concrete

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

I've become obsessed with checking hobby sites for sales so I'm gonna post everything I've found here so you can all share in my madness.

4ground has a 25% off Black Friday coupon atm.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

PinheadSlim posted:

Like massive slabs of concrete

It's not a terrible idea. Engines and transmissions are a dime a dozen for America at the time.

So were Shermans and manpower too for that matter.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

LingcodKilla posted:

It's not a terrible idea. Engines and transmissions are a dime a dozen for America at the time.

I thought the Allies were all feeling a manpower shortage by the end of it.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

JcDent posted:

Wouldnt that be why it's at the end of it in this case? Spending so much blood and treasure got results.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

PinheadSlim posted:

I think it's just "uncomfortable to sit on" hot

Also my Shermans have all kinds of gear on the back, so if it's wrong we can look stupid together.

As I've discovered by building 17 of the drat things, there are actually very few angles you can stick the .50 cal where you can open the hatch.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

JcDent posted:

The British definitely were. The Americans were facing an artificial manpower shortage because Marshall had planned for a 90 division army and had chosen to keep more skilled workers at home compared to other countries.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Geisladisk posted:

Correct Green question: Is the engine deck of a tank a dumb place to model stowage on a WW2 tank? Would the engine deck get hot enough that it would be a fire hazard? I've read in multiple accounts that infantry riding tanks would stay off the engine deck because of the heat, but is it "uncomfortable to sit on" hot or "will set a cloth tarp on fire" hot?

For a WWII tank, yes, the engine deck gets hot. Not "catch fire" hot, but picture the hood of your car on a summer day. (The metal is thicker so it is slower to heat up and cool down, but you get the idea.)

You wouldn't want to put stuff over the intakes or the exhaust for the same reason why you wouldn't do that on your car - that engine needs air to breathe and stay cool. Think of your car's radiator; it's not a good idea to stow a lot of gear over it before you drive. This isn't really something we do with a car as it's up front, closer to the engine, but tanks need to be armored up front, so the radiator goes back behind the turret and the intake goes to the deck so the sides of the tank can still be armored.

You also wouldn't want to block the exhaust. It's bad for the tank, and everything would get soaked with fumes.

Cessna fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Nov 18, 2019

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
I assume for later turbine tanks, the engine deck gets "stuff here will melt" hot?

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

spectralent posted:

I assume for later turbine tanks, the engine deck gets "stuff here will melt" hot?

Think "barbecue grill" hot.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

LingcodKilla posted:

From my understanding concrete actually didn't do anything to stop AP cannon rounds, and that the only real use concrete tank armor ever had in WW2 was eliminating shot traps in Stugs by filling them in.

And besides destroyed transmissions/engines it would make the tank unbearably slow, and that's why the Soviets abandoned the idea after testing it on a T34.

I could be entirely wrong though lol, after all I've never been shot at while in a tank covered in concrete :v:

Cessna posted:

Think "barbecue grill" hot.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

It was for shaped charge rounds like panzerfaust and such not AP.

http://worldwar2headquarters.com/HTML/weapons/american/shapedCharge.html

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Arquinsiel posted:

That Sherman also has the M2 mounted so that the commander's hatch can't open, but also Shermans have taught us that just because sticking <thing> to <place> is a terrible idea doesn't mean the troops won't do it.
With the barrel mounted exactly along the center-line of the two halves of the hatch like that, the edges will clear the barrel when you open them.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

LingcodKilla posted:

It was for shaped charge rounds like panzerfaust and such not AP.

http://worldwar2headquarters.com/HTML/weapons/american/shapedCharge.html

This is actually really interesting because not only am I seeing conflicting reports, but now I'm learning about plastic as armor in WW2.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plastic_armour

wiki posted:

the Admiralty recommended that ship owners fit concrete paving stones in layers up to six inches thick to protect the vulnerable crew. The Admiralty had done no testing with armour-piercing bullets and, when the fighting started in earnest, it became evident that concrete armour was almost useless against German machine-gun fire. As the fighting in the English Channel intensified in August 1940, casualties rose and the prospect of a collapse in morale threatened.

(Up to) Six inches of concrete couldn't even stand up to machinegun fire, but there could be other factors such as the angle and number of successful hits, but falling apart to machinegun fire seems like kind of a big negative.

Punkinhead fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Nov 19, 2019

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Ilor posted:

With the barrel mounted exactly along the center-line of the two halves of the hatch like that, the edges will clear the barrel when you open them.
Depends on the height, but that looks like it's pinned down in a travel mount at about an inch or so up from the surface, so it'll likely foul the arcs.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

I wouldn't want to eat that. It's a cute trick, but exhaust gas can't be good for you.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Somewhere on SA before someone posted a pretty great photo of Patton glaring at a Sherman decked out in dumb ad-hoc armour.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Somewhere on SA before someone posted a pretty great photo of Patton glaring at a Sherman decked out in dumb ad-hoc armour.

It’s not dumb. Shaped charges were very common and the junk piled on was completely capable of causing an early venting of the charge and preventing a “kill”. Won’t do much or anything for AP. The added weight wasn’t that big of deal most of the time. Maybe the concrete was a little overkill.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The MilHist thread goes into detail. A lot of the improvised "stand off" armour actually just caused stuff to detonate at a better distance and after normalising itself to the plane of the armour, so it actually made tanks more vulnerable.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Arquinsiel posted:

The MilHist thread goes into detail. A lot of the improvised "stand off" armour actually just caused stuff to detonate at a better distance and after normalising itself to the plane of the armour, so it actually made tanks more vulnerable.

Ok I’ll go learn something new.

Report back. Not much about improvised trash just tied down all over but the German stuff was designed for AP hand held weapons in mind instead of shaped charges.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slat_armor

However, schürzen was designed to stop Soviet PTRD-41 anti-tank rifles, so proved worse than useless against Bazooka and Panzerschreck anti-tank rockets in US and German tests[4].

JcDent
May 13, 2013

LingcodKilla posted:

Ok I’ll go learn something new.

Report back. Not much about improvised trash just tied down all over but the German stuff was designed for AP hand held weapons in mind instead of shaped charges.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slat_armor

However, schürzen was designed to stop Soviet PTRD-41 anti-tank rifles, so proved worse than useless against Bazooka and Panzerschreck anti-tank rockets in US and German tests[4].

Again, Germans proofing tanks against something that's a negligible threat at great expense.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

JcDent posted:

Again, Germans proofing tanks against something that's a negligible threat at great expense.

From what I understand, just about the only thing that PTRDs could affect on later German tanks was the tracks, so the schürzen makes a certain amoutn of sense.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
By late war a lot of the AT rifles were getting used as sniper rifles. The Soviets had no shortage of AT guns by then.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

JcDent posted:

Let me manually paint on some non-magnetic paste to stop you sticking an AT weapon that only we make onto our tanks! :pseudo:

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Thundercloud posted:

By late war a lot of the AT rifles were getting used as sniper rifles. The Soviets had no shortage of AT guns by then.

Good lord. Scoring a direct hit against a person with a 14.5×114mm round is essentially direct conversion to dog food.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Good lord. Scoring a direct hit against a person with a 14.5×114mm round is essentially direct conversion to dog food.

Not a person, a Nazi.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Even if the person is a Nazi they're still a person. It's important to remember that they are 100% normal humans with the same rights and responsibilities as everyone else to prevent blindspots developing when assessing in-group behaviour.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Arquinsiel posted:

Even if the person is a Nazi they're still a person.

True, but I'm okay with shooting them.

Obviously it would be better if they recant their ways and go on to lead a good life, but if it's 1944 and they're in a Panzer and I've got a PTRD I don't know if circumstances make it possible to have an exchange of ideas that leads to them reconsidering their life choices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I'm pretty sure that was just a play on the Lyudmila Pavlichenko quote.