Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Yeah, i'm kinda leaning towards him wearing some of Toya's skin.

Been saying this one forever and a day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Dabi is Toya's reanimated corpse.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Rei dunked Toya into a really hot Jacuzzi one day and no one saw him ever again.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Maybe Toya faked suicide?

Or maybe he actually committed suicide and then was resurrected.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
Maybe they just never found the body.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

I AM DABI!

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Hi Dabi I'm dad

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I feel a certain doctor was involved.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

OhFunny posted:

I feel a certain doctor was involved.

Damnit Doctor Snakes one manga was enough

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I'm gonna take a wild guess that its less "endeavor personally did something to touya that killed/maimed him" and more "Touya did something on his own at the urging of or because of endeavor, and the rest of the family blames him for it" which gives a lot more leeway to why the Todoroki family doesn't know exactly where he's buried.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Dabi died and got into a Lazarus pit afterwards.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Well Dabis flames are remarkable in that they never die out so

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747

Onmi posted:

What then, the question is "why is Endeavour and everyone else convinced he's dead?" Like... the shrine is set up to clearly indicate the memory of a dead person, Endeavour wouldn't NOT bury his child even if he'd done it, Before even that there'd be hospital records, and it's clear in this chapter that this isn't a case of "Oh we're not allowed to talk about it." things haven't been covered up.

So, how did Toya not-die, Endeavour and family NOT know he didn't die, and he managed to grow up and live as a vagabond for so long?

if the skin graft theory is true why the hell would endeavor bury his son skinned down? unless dabi watched endeavor kill his son without burning him, was severely burned himself, and then robbed his grave for skin I dont see this theory working

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Futaba Anzu posted:

Well Dabis flames are remarkable in that they never die out so

Aha, so Dabi was Itachi this whole time. :argh:

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.
In the meantime, my hero academia SMASH is now available on the shonen jump app. The jokes... are good.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

I'm gonna take a wild guess that its less "endeavor personally did something to touya that killed/maimed him" and more "Touya did something on his own at the urging of or because of endeavor, and the rest of the family blames him for it" which gives a lot more leeway to why the Todoroki family doesn't know exactly where he's buried.

Keep in mind, Endeavour himself blames himself for Touya. The last time we spent with him, he lamented about "The future [he'd] stolen" while clearly thinking of Toya. So while it's possible he still blames himself for what happened regardless of direct involvement, it's also clear he thinks whatever happened was a fatality.

It's entirely possible that it was a similar situation to the one Natsu is in now. A villain took Toya hostage and Endeavour accidentally (or on purpose) immolated his son taking down the villain.

Also as a correction, I don't think the manga has ever said "They don't know exactly where he's buried" those shrines for the dead like the one Toya has are just... a thing that is done. It's not indicative of there not being a known grave.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Yeah that's just a thing. Bleach had one for his mom and she died in front of Ichigo and they visit her grave.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Onmi posted:

Keep in mind, Endeavour himself blames himself for Touya. The last time we spent with him, he lamented about "The future [he'd] stolen" while clearly thinking of Toya. So while it's possible he still blames himself for what happened regardless of direct involvement, it's also clear he thinks whatever happened was a fatality.

It's entirely possible that it was a similar situation to the one Natsu is in now. A villain took Toya hostage and Endeavour accidentally (or on purpose) immolated his son taking down the villain.

Also as a correction, I don't think the manga has ever said "They don't know exactly where he's buried" those shrines for the dead like the one Toya has are just... a thing that is done. It's not indicative of there not being a known grave.

Yeah, I'm thinking "accident that Endeavor blames himself for" is a lot more plausible than "Endeavor straight up murdered or directly caused the death of this child due to being a prick", largely because the latter would push Endeavor from "domestic violence shitbag" to "literal murderer who should be imprisoned, not forgiven or redeemed" and that would be weird given all the time the manga has spent fleshing out Endeavor and focusing on his abuse of Shoto being his greatest crime and failing.

That and if he had straight up murdered/nearly murdered a child and Dabi knew about it, there would be no need for all the terrorism because Dabi could destroy both Endeavor and peoples' faith in hero society by going to the news and saying "Hey I've got a hot scoop - your #1 hero is an (attempted) child murderer!"

Kanos fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Nov 17, 2019

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Yeah, all signs point to Toya self immolating if anything to become Dabi.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Lord_Magmar posted:

Yeah, all signs point to Toya self immolating if anything to become Dabi.

one of endeavor's very few on-panel remarks about toya was that he had rei's frail constitution so yeah, he probably pushed the kid too hard and he spontaneously combusted

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

"Maybe the next kid won't explode." - Endeavor

It would certainly explain why Shoto's temperature regulation would be considered so perfect by him, though. Y'know, aside from the obvious reasons.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Endeavor himself noted his issues with temperature regulation and I imagine a child who inherited increased fire power with no change or even a decrease in tolerance to it would end in disaster.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Yeah I doubt Endeavor is directly involved even accidentally in what happened to Toya. Endeavor gave up on Toya when Shoto was around, and he was still around when Shoto's burn happened. My guess is that soon after he tried to prove himself to Endeavor and combusted himself somehow.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Alright, my personal theory is something along the lines of this:

Endeavor pushes Toya too far, causing a running away from home. Endeavor tries to find him, and nearly does, but suddenly, a villain attacks, taking Toya hostage.

Toya, in a desperate attempt to both not get killed and not have his dad save him (which would give him even more leverage over him than being his dad would), sets himself on fire while the villain has him in a hold or restrained in some fashion. Endeavor is too shocked and confused to think that Toya is alive, Toya is left barely standing, the villain is turned into ash, and Toya takes this opportunity to rebrand himself and get vengeance on the society that pushed him to the brink. Some back alley doctor treatment and a fresh purchase of black hair dye later, Dabi is born.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I only just realized it but it was very appropriate for Kirishima to want to work with Tamaki (Sundowner). Though Kirishima is much better at hiding it, he has very similar confidence issues to Tamaki and part of what inspires both of them is much more outgoing childhood friends.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Hunt11 posted:

I only just realized it but it was very appropriate for Kirishima to want to work with Tamaki (Sundowner).

Because they're both loving invincible? :v:

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Hunt11 posted:

I only just realized it but it was very appropriate for Kirishima to want to work with Tamaki (Sundowner). Though Kirishima is much better at hiding it, he has very similar confidence issues to Tamaki and part of what inspires both of them is much more outgoing childhood friends.

yeah, Suneater does kinda point that out- though it's more a matter of Kirishma faking it (and believing it himself to somre degree) rather than hiding it.

also

Hunt11 posted:

Tamaki (Sundowner).

I cannot give you grief over this, I keep doing it myself, but it certainly would be quite a tonal shift to bring in that guy!

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Zomborgon posted:

I cannot give you grief over this, I keep doing it myself, but it certainly would be quite a tonal shift to bring in that guy!

He'd fit in great in the quirk liberation army.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Because they're both loving invincible? :v:

Zomborgon posted:

There is nothing more frustrating then trying to get something right and still completely loving up.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
Hell, they already have someone with Monsoon's power.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

"Why don't we hear speeches about all the good things villains do for us? Jobs, technology, common purpose? Where's all the speeches about that?"

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
New Sunday, new Viz translation.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Was delayed because Cook had no connectivity:

https://twitter.com/CDCubed/status/1196424455532285957

I didn't realize Ending was using a Quirk booster.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

SKULL.GIF posted:

Was delayed because Cook had no connectivity:

https://twitter.com/CDCubed/status/1196424455532285957

I didn't realize Ending was using a Quirk booster.

The same week the Quirk booster premieres in the anime even!

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
New one. Izuku is on first name basis with Shoto.
https://jaiminisbox.com/reader/read/my-hero-academia/en/0/251/page/1

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Holy hell what a good chapter

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I assume the actual release will make it clearer exactly what happened because its kind of a mess to read

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Aww, Endeavor trusting Deku and Shoto to take care of Ending while he rushed to hug Natsuo (and Bakugo) was really good.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I really like Bakugo going essentially “gently caress you” but instead of “gently caress you I’m going to kill you” it was “gently caress you I’m not letting anybody die”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

Does anybody have any idea what happened in that chapter? So confusing to read