Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henry Black
Jun 27, 2004

If she's not making this face, you're not doing it right.
Fun Shoe

CGI Stardust posted:

is there a recording of this interview, or a transcript. i want to absorb it, to soak in it, to do a word-by-word examination of precisely when he's lying (which will be all the time)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000c1j4/newsnight-prince-andrew-the-epstein-scandal-the-newsnight-interview

You can even watch from the start right now. Thanks Beeb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/BeardedGenius/status/1195816050706800642?s=09

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
E: ^^^^^^ how in the gently caress did he think this interview was a good idea hahaha holy gently caress what a car crash

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

ThomasPaine posted:

how the gently caress are the tories still ahead jesus

At least part of it is going to be weightings like that one which assumed something like 25% youth turnout and 90% in over 65s

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It's Saturday night, you know what that means kids?

Too many words about council housing Part 2 - Manufactured housing and the boom years.

I had no idea I was so interested in this until I read it, thank you.
I spend quite a bit of time in various Plymouth estates as part of work and some of them are genuinely worse than old Soviet built blocks, it's appalling.

Henry Black
Jun 27, 2004

Fun Shoe

https://twitter.com/nigelfletcher/status/1195818296106536960

This photo may also be faked

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

DesperateDan posted:

according to this poll conducted by landline telephone and completed by the type of person who has the time or inclination to spend ten minutes on the phone ranting to a stranger about politics....

The polls are utter poo poo and the only poll worth paying any attention to is the exit poll and that's still poo poo

on that topic has there ever been an exit poll that ended up getting the final result totally wrong? They always seem to be right to within a few seats in my experience.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

“System” refers to any of a dozen or so different ways of sticking together prefabricated components
I enjoyed this effortpost, but you can't say that and not post the canonical example.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

the majority of people still needed to heat the hot water for washing over the stove or in an unreliable and dangerous gas-fired boiler.
Wouldn't that be a copper rather than a boiler? (Presumably named because they're unreliable and may all be bastards.)

goddamnedtwisto posted:

And right opposite, the newest hotness, a style that doesn’t really have a name but which is found all over the East End:

The correct architectural name is Gritty Netflix Series About Drug Gangs.

Pochoclo posted:

I just want a place I can live in without paying rent out the rear end, close enough to work, cheap enough that I can afford it in my lifetime, and that won't self-destruct until after I'm dead, is that so much to ask?
Pay rent out of your rear end onto his desk.

OwlFancier posted:

Booo, property seizure was one of my favourite things.
Big John's going to go round and do it extrajudicially.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Lol Andrew all but admitting be thinks Epstein was murdered

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Looks like a fun night on the right with your stick, bowl on a big stick, nunchucks, and stick for going up the council.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

quote:

“He was what I would describe as understanding, he didn’t go into any great depth in the conversation about what I was…what he was doing, except to say that he’d accepted, whatever it was, a plea bargain, he’d served his time and he was carrying on with his life if you see what I mean and I said “yes but I’m afraid to say that that’s as maybe but with all the attendant scrutiny on me then I don’t think it is a wise thing to do”.
whoops!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/PickardJE/status/1195821600249131009?s=19

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

ThomasPaine posted:

how the gently caress are the tories still ahead jesus.

I might be stoking controversy in this here ukmt in that I think polls are not completely useless. parts of them contain information that is useful. But the actual headline voting figures do rely on predicting turnout which is notoriously difficult, and the seat calculations are basically a guess. Also it's going to take a while for campaigning to properly have an effect on voting intentions, the manifestos aren't even out yet and a lot of people aren't really paying attention so far.

really interested in seeing how the scotland-only polls turn out, hopefully a few get done. most recent one was from just before the election was called.

Henry Black
Jun 27, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/JolyonMaugham/status/1195821208194994177

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
"which one critic claimed would amount to outlawing wolf-whistling"

hmm I think that critic might be some kind of misogynist bastard

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

Endjinneer posted:

For fun on Tuesday, how about we play Boris Bingo together? We can all contribute suggestions for the word list and create 5x5 Bingo cards using this website https://osric.com/bingo-card-generator

Here's a starter for the list:
Wiff-waff,Picaninny, Garden bridge, Turbocharge,Lie, Get Brexit done, Gridlock, Lie, Girl's blouse, Watermelon smile, Lie, Oven chips, Lie, 20000 police officers, Bureaucrats, Lie, The Rolling Stones, 40 hospitals, Frictionless border, Lie, Russia, Will of the people, Ancient Greek phrase, Dead in a ditch, Do-or-die, Pseudo-Marxist, Stalin,

N.B: Each lie can only be used once. Claims of a line or full house featuring one or more lies must be able to describe all lies involved.

Oh gawd- page snipe. Panicking...Googling...
The Type 209 is a class of diesel-electric attack submarine developed exclusively for export by Howaldtswerke-Deutsche Werft of Germany

And Bojo was his name-oh! :haw: :toot:

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back
due to not having a BBC iPlayer login or license i'm following this via the Mirror, so there's lots of stuff i'm not getting. but

quote:

“But at the time I felt it was the honourable and right thing to do and I admit fully that my judgement was probably coloured by my tendency to be too honourable but that’s just the way it is.
lmao

quote:

“I’m terribly sorry but if I, as a member of the royal family, and I have a photograph taken and I take very, very few photographs, I am not one to, as it were, hug and public displays of affection are not something that I do,” he said of the photo.

“So that’s the best explanation I can give you and I’m afraid to say that I don’t believe that photograph was taken in the way that has been suggested.”
not denying the it's a photo of you with her, are you

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Not a big fan of immensely powerful noncing rings, but everyone needs to take legal advice before they speak to the FBI.

People who aren't white and of immense privilege might never get to speak to the FBI though.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Milkshake tax!
That was actually a tory proposal "Plans for a "milkshake tax" were officially revealed last night in a rushed-out Green Paper hours before Theresa May leaves office." (source: https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/plans-milkshake-tax-officially-revealed-18667795)

and I just saw this down the sidebar of that - hadn't seen it before.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/labour-mps-julie-elliott-office-20860451

quote:

A Labour MP's constituency office windows have been smashed in a "deliberate" late night attack over the weekend.
The office of Julie Elliott, MP for Sunderland Central, was ambushed at around 10pm on Saturday night, just a few days after the general election campaign kicked off.

I notice no one is blaming 'momentum thugs' this time.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
Absolutely rattled lol

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Angepain posted:

I might be stoking controversy in this here ukmt in that I think polls are not completely useless. parts of them contain information that is useful. But the actual headline voting figures do rely on predicting turnout which is notoriously difficult, and the seat calculations are basically a guess. Also it's going to take a while for campaigning to properly have an effect on voting intentions, the manifestos aren't even out yet and a lot of people aren't really paying attention so far.

really interested in seeing how the scotland-only polls turn out, hopefully a few get done. most recent one was from just before the election was called.

Yes.

And one thing to keep an eye on is the trend for each pollsters poll as opposed to the headline numbers. Each poll is put together based on the same assumptions and a trend showing the numbers moving in your direction within an individual pollsters polls is always a good one. Of course the way polls are reported on often makes that difficult to do.

Some polls are also just generally lower quality than others be it due to smaller samples or lovely execution, etc.

Aeble
Oct 21, 2010

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Building stuff.

Really cool post, never knew I wanted to know so much about buildings! Having just moved to London, I've often wondered why so many buildings look completely identical.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

nationalisation of trains and energy firms :unsmigghh:

am sad there appears to be no chance of Full Sugar Barr Cola returning in a corbynist utopia, however. sad times

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
https://twitter.com/Coth_1888/status/1195819254056194050

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Kind of breaking my brain here that a high-profile member of an international paedophile conspiracy decided to bring up how many times he'd been to a pizza restaurant.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

quote:

Perhaps even more shocking is the council tax bill on Cross’s one-bed flat, which has spiralled to £3,000 this year and is heading to £4,500 next year – or more than the tax on a multimillion-pound mansion in Mayfair.

Why not? Cross blames what he describes as the “punitive” service charge on the one-bed flat. Last year the charge was £562 every month – equal to £6,744 a year, although this year it dropped back to £519 a month. On top of that, the ground rent is a further £415 a year. In other words, a retired person could be paying nearly all their state pension in service and ground rent charges.

Lol what the gently caress, that's like >800 quid a month in bills for a lovely one bed in a Kent seaside town of all places.

That's more than my studio rent in a mid-range city FFS.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Darth Walrus posted:

Kind of breaking my brain here that a high-profile member of an international paedophile conspiracy decided to bring up how many times he'd been to a pizza restaurant.

The whole point of secret rituals is to flaunt your arcane knowledge in plain sight

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Milkshake tax!
That was actually a tory proposal "Plans for a "milkshake tax" were officially revealed last night in a rushed-out Green Paper hours before Theresa May leaves office." (source: https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/plans-milkshake-tax-officially-revealed-18667795)

It was a good idea when the Tories proposed it, but it's a terrible idea now that Labour are proposing it!

Wait, hang on. Someone threw one at Big Nige! But we can't support a Labour policy...

Ban milkshakes! Register them as deadly weapons and hang anyone who uses them on us!

But that sounds like some kind of do-gooder ban-unhealthy-foods bullshit. What the gently caress do we do?

God I hate milkshakes. Anyone got a clean shirt?

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Milkshake tax!

and I just saw this down the sidebar of that - hadn't seen it before.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/labour-mps-julie-elliott-office-20860451

I notice no one is blaming 'momentum thugs' this time.

how do you ambush a building?

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

https://twitter.com/demarionunn/status/1195824872687095808?s=20

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Hereditary aristocrat is stupid and overconfident shock.

Do keep going, Andrew :allears:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I was gonna say somewhere david icke has a raging hard on and doesn't know why.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

XMNN posted:

how do you ambush a building?

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good

Corbyn will put up the price of petrol, stop us wolf whistling the pretty ladies and we'll run out of jail spaces for people like you, the great british plumbers, 'cos of immigrants :byodood:

ThomasPaine posted:

how the gently caress are the tories still ahead jesus.

Polls are used to influence public opinion, not reflect it.

Also in our latest entirely unbiased poll of the great British public 87% of local brickies between the ages of 54-57 said that Poles should go home and stop stealing our jerbs :byodood:

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

This is fascinating by the way, and the previous posts too.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Private Speech posted:

Lol what the gently caress, that's like >800 quid a month in bills for a lovely one bed in a Kent seaside town of all places.

That's more than my studio rent in a mid-range city FFS.

You can't compare it to the rent in a flat because it is a fundamentally different charge.

The underlying problem seems to be that the way it was sold, initially priced, and marketed. It was as if it was just a standard flat in a seaside town. The fact is that the services provided to that flat are more extensive than it would be to a standard flat (cleaning, 24h alarm response were the two mentioned), hence the higher service charges, and the pool of eligible buyers seriously restricted. It is basically like a care home minus the 24h nursing care and with the great "opportunity" to sink a slew of your own money into the construction.

Anyway, it seems to have been designed to fleece people who didn't fully grasp what they signed up for (with a bit of tax haven spice sprinkled over the top to boot). What they were selling there was probably the perfect thing for a very select set of people but I think most ended up in exactly the poor schmuck in the article did.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/CannaFrom/status/1195824483535347712?s=19

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

*5 seconds later* We regret to inform you the milkshake is high in sugar

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwexhQ-92ws

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

As always, twisto proves to be my exact opposite, in that he makes extremely good posts.