Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How mad are you going to get when I call your favorite Pokemon unviable?
5: I will set the entire cloud ablaze with the heat of my rage!!!
4: I will be quite rankled, and will have no problem telling you as much!
3: I'll be a little upset, and might debate you on it.
2: Disappointed, but I know my faves are bad.
1: I don't know gently caress about poo poo.
View Results

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

The Flying Twybil posted:

2nd gen was the only one I couldn't stand for some reason I can't remember, and I never bothered to beat it legitimately.
To be fair, Gold and Silver's level curve is all over the goddamn place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Tentacool and Tentacruel get an automatic -1/5 for sheer annoyance

To be fair, it doesn't annoy nearly as bad with the power of repel

magikid
Nov 4, 2006
Wielder of the Soup Spoon
Still not quite sure what "depth" means when you rate Pokemon. Something about its level-up moves?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

magikid posted:

Still not quite sure what "depth" means when you rate Pokemon. Something about its level-up moves?

How much it can do. Like how jolteon is really good at thunderbolting fools fast and almost nothing else. Whereas if you're willing to spend tms on the nidos they can do all sorts of things.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

magikid posted:

Given that "width" seems to be used to describe how much effective out-of-type coverage the Pokemon gets, "depth" presumably refers to how good its options are within its own type, given its native movepool (so, for example, the fairly large number of Pokemon in gen 1 to lack any good STAB options would be said to have poor depth).

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

EclecticTastes posted:

Given that "width" seems to be used to describe how much effective out-of-type coverage the Pokemon gets, "depth" presumably refers to how good its options are within its own type, given its native movepool (so, for example, the fairly large number of Pokemon in gen 1 to lack any good STAB options would be said to have poor depth).
Yeah, this is it. Starmie, for example, is only a 4.5 because for all the things it can do with TMs, without them it's quite linear> Plus, there's only one Psychic TM, and there's a lot of competition for it, which means without a major investment, Starmie's missing out on its excellent secondary STAB.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Route 14: Down! That Didn't Take Much!

Time for another cakewalk Gym!

There aren't words for how good it feels to have Pokemon with actually-good attacks again.

Our first victim opponent is a Biker who's proud to follow the gym trend of Poison Pokemon, plus Ditto to, presumably, copy anything giving the rest of his team trouble.

With his Tentacool lacking a Water move, there's nothing that has any real chance of threatening WEEST. (I wasn't kidding when I said this would be his chance to shine.)

Even the Pokemon who aren't weak to Ground can't survive two STAB Earthquakes.

Losses: 0

Next, a Tamer with a similar problem of a lack of type variety. The only Pokemon that can even vaguely threaten BRDBRDBRD are Sandslash and Kingler.

Sandslash and BRDBRDBRD mutually 3HKO each other, but TUBE was waiting in the wings to take it out if things got rougher than they did. TONIC can also come to wipe out Kingler, if he brought both of his problem Pokemon.

He did not.

Oh, hey, look, someone who might be threatening! Juggler's move gimmick appears to be metronome, as all of his Pokemon except Drowzee have it.

I say "appears to be", because he actually prefers using moves like Substitute and Mimic, and only breaks out Metronome if he doesn't have anything else that works.

THE BOY doesn't care much, as long as he's got an Amnesia boost, and Rest allows him to sleep off the damage from the odd critical hit.

To his credit, his Hypno turned out to be enough of a problem that I decided to bring in BRDBRDBRD to finish him off.

And then to erase Mr. Mime with a Hyper Beam for some extra style points.

Losses: 0 (Again.)

To Koga's credit, what he lacks in type variety, he makes up for in move variety. If those were Nidoroyalty, they'd actually be quite threatening. Venomoth has Sleep Powder and Psybeam to deal some damage, and Muk even has Hyper Beam to keep you from getting too complacent.

Weezing isn't much of a threat, though, as Fire Blast fishing for a burn proc is his only chance of slowing it down, and if he doesn't get it, there's nothing left to stop the 2HKO.

Up next is his Venomoth, which goes for the kill on WEEST with a 4x effective Mega Drain.

It's not enough to take him out, though, and he responds in the only reasonable way.

Koga's got a few possible sources of Thunderbolt, but even then, TUBE is faster and is packing a dangerous Hyper Beam to leave them with something to remember him by, so THE BOY can come in and finish them off.

This also turns out to be unnecessary, and the only reason Muk lasts so long is because I miss two Hydro Pumps in a row. Think I might switch over to Surf once it's an option.

Without any solid attacking moves that can put any kind of real dent in TUBE, though, it's just delaying the inevitable. I think the poison damage from the first Sludge hit might have actually dealt more damage than his attacks did.

Total Losses: 0

Well, that was fun. Not much of an update, though. And, turns out, Sabrina's strongest Pokemon is the same level as Koga's.

What the hell, let's keep the momentum going and see how far this same team gets in Sabrina's Castle. This is most certainly not just an excuse to not deal with the Safari Zone yet, how dare you insinuate something like that.

Cue Ball's got an interesting team. Dragonair, in particular, has a chance to be very annoying, and a Rhydon packing Earthquake is something you never want to disrespect.

Dragonair is the first to show up, and even opens with a Hyper Beam...

But it's not enough to take BRDBRDBRD out, and so it eats the Drill Peck 2HKO and drops.

"Oh, poo poo, Dewgong, this could be bad!" ...except he didn't actually give it any ice moves. I use a Fly to dodge his Skull Bash and then follow up with the old reliable Drill Peck.

And his Machop is hardly even worth mentioning.

Huh. We might actually have a shot at this.

Next time on Multi-Track Battling: We take a shot at this.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I've also gotten the all-clear from Fedule to mention that I've set up a Ko-Fi (under my forums name, no spaces) as a tip jar, as long as I don't link it directly. I've been spending quite a lot of time on this and the upcoming revival of my CYOA, and I figure that if anyone wants to throw a few bucks my way, who am I to say no?

The site will also be the best place for status updates, previews, and news about my future and ongoing projects. You don't need to donate to see them, it's not a drat Patreon, just a reason for my Ko-Fi page to actually exist.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Ah hell yeah. Best stadium names.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Tod-it bothers me so much

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Tod it and tod you as well! :bahgawd:

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

So what? You can't prove I posted that.
I see Fing-kof and I can only think F-ing kof instead.

But it's also nice to know Koga's trainers appreciate the great outdoors enough to have a cool tent.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

I just noticed that the various Gym Leader castle rooms have the leader's badge as decoration on the walls.

NAME REDACTED
Dec 22, 2010

Endorph posted:

I just liked soloing the elite four. I assumed the reason my gyarados had such high stats compared to my brothers was because he was my best friend.

I can't believe that Gen 1's developers managed to implement "The True Power of Pokemon is Friendship", I assume by accident.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

The Flying Twybil posted:

I see Fing-kof and I can only think F-ing kof instead.

But it's also nice to know Koga's trainers appreciate the great outdoors enough to have a cool tent.

King Fok

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Sometimes, when I don't feel like posting, I just spend a while LERKING.

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

You all really just gonna ignore A COOL TENT?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

That's where I do my LERKING.

Faylone
Feb 18, 2012
As somebody who practically never gives their minions a name, I still must admit that "ACOOL-TENT" is actually pretty awesome

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I hope one day I can be as good at naming my Pokemon as this game is. My theme named teams just feel boring in comparison to A COOL TENT.

magikid
Nov 4, 2006
Wielder of the Soup Spoon
I rather like ZING-WEE myself.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Hey , y'all. Pulled a muscle in my arm the other day, and it's not quite better yet. Updates delayed until I can use both hands to type again.

New Wave Jose
Aug 20, 2008
Yeah right. As if you are not used to type one handed like any true goon!

Kidding aside, I really like your lp and wish you a quick recovery

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

PMush Perfect posted:

Hey , y'all. Pulled a muscle in my arm the other day, and it's not quite better yet. Updates delayed until I can use both hands to type again.

Is there some kind of anti-curse? Like, if I make an oath to not start a LP, will I win the lottery or something?

In all seriousness, get well soon!

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Serperoth posted:

Is there some kind of anti-curse? Like, if I make an oath to not start a LP, will I win the lottery or something?

No. Risk the curse or never get the chance to be an LP Superstar, the choice is yours.

Feel better, PMush!

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

PMush Perfect posted:

Anything to avoid the Safari Zone, huh?

Jokes aside, I hope you feel better soon. Pulling a muscle sucks.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug

Serperoth posted:

I think I jinxed it when I brought attention to his her quick recoveries from setbacks. My bad.

Get well soon, PMush.

e. My mistake.

MelvinBison fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Nov 21, 2019

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Her*.

I'm very powerful, I should have something together by this weekend, probably.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Route 15?: It's Casually Cast Aside!

As promised, we're going to take a shot at cleaning out Sabrina while we're here.

Team's the same as last time, and we'll see if that's enough to put off the Safari Zone for one more update.

Cueball's got the same team as last time, with just enough type variety that most of our team has only one Pokemon that can stop a sweep.

He didn't bring Dewgong.

Oh, hey, another single-type team that doesn't have anything that can stop TU-...

Rude.

TONIC is faster than Rapidash, and thus does not fear Horn Drill, and that 100 Attack isn't quite as threatening when the only move coming off of it is Stomp.

He didn't bring Ninetales, so the rest of his team doesn't fare much better.

I also had WEEST waiting in the wings, but he turned out to not even be necessary. TONIC got clean 2HKOs on his whole time. Which... should not be the case without at least a five level advantage.

I might have overdone the stat XP thing.

Next Time on Multi-Track Battling: How about we try this again without much cheating?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

This delay in a full update is entirely because of chivalry and not at all because typing is still either painfully slow, or just painful.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Nov 21, 2019

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug
This is it. This is the nickname scheme that breaks me.

PMush Perfect posted:

This delay in a full update is entirely because of chivalry and not at all because typing is still either painfully slow, or just painful.
Please don't force yourself for our sakes. We can wait.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
melvinbison

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

This is the face of a horse that has seen some poo poo.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck

MelvinBison posted:

Willing to bet the gag in the Japanese version is that the pokemon's names are all spelled in hiragana instead of katakana.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MelvinBison posted:

Please don't force yourself for our sakes. We can wait.

cracks whip

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Arm is still hosed up, gonna see if I can get in to visit my doctor on Monday.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Route 16: This Is A Wild One From The Word Go!

When I started writing this update, there were two big paragraphs about how complicated XP is, and simplifying the simplification, which still involved cubic algebra, and it was extremely interesting and an excellent read. (It was not.) I never want to write another loving mathematical proof about Pokemon Stadium again. Everybody gets 41k Stat XP across the board. Your homework tonight is to work backwards from that and figure out where I simplified to reach that number.

Oh my God please do not actually do that.

This is your third time seeing this team so I'm not gonna post them again, but every stat on every Pokemon is exactly 6 lower. Math happened.

We've already seen Cueball before.

We've also seen what happens when his Pokemon can't stand up to BRDBRDBRD.

Losses: 0 (Again.)

Burglar's got even worse type variety than Cueball.

And when his Rapidash present or landing that lucky Horn Drill, TUBE does what TUBEs do.

Losses: 13

I'm kidding, it's still 0.

Next up, a Chaneller who didn't even put attacking moves on half her Pokemon. (Mega Drain doesn't count.)

♫ Stop the rock, can't stop the rock ♫

Okay, in retrospect, maybe clearing out those three was always going to be rather trivial. Sabrina, though, she should be an actual challenge. Hypno's got the Hypnosis/Dream Eater combo, and Jynx has a small but non-zero chance to freeze with Ice Punch. In Gen 1, freeze is essentially a one-hit kill, as the only way to be unfrozen is for your opponent to use a Fire move on you.

First Attempt

My chosen three for this battle are BRDBRDBRD, TONIC, and THE BOY. A case also could have been made for TUBE, but we've cleaned enough clocks with Gyarados for one LP, let's give someone else a chance to shine. We lead with BRDBRDBRD because there's only one Pokemon that she's got that can comfortably stand against Drill Peck-

Aaand she opens with Jynx. Speak of the devil.

We switch out for TONIC, she's got a higher Special and Speed than THE BOY, which should let us get a clean 2HKO. Sabrina'll go for Ice Punch first for the super effective hit, so switching in is 90% safe. Even getting put to sleep isn't the end of the world since we're faster than her, and sleep duration was decreased to 1-3 turns for Stadium, from 1-5 in the carts. As long as one of her Ice Punches doesn't-

Son of my mother.

There's nothing left to do here but wait until TONIC gets taken down. Jynx doesn't have any boosting moves, so waiting out a few more Ice Punches is infinitely safer than switching out and risking a double freeze. I've got some good strategy, but I don't think I can win a three-on-one. (I later realized that Freeze Clause meant I couldn't get a double freeze, but there was still very little reason to not just let TONIC drop and take the free switch.)

At least she lands a couple crits during her victory dance so I don't have to sit and ruminate on my failures for quite as long.

I make a calculated risk and choose to bring back BRDBRDBRD. TONIC managed to land a solid TBolt before getting frozen, so Take Down should still be enough to KO. It's only got 85% accuracy, but an 85% chance to KO is better than a 75% chance to get put to sleep by something faster than me.

BRDBRDBRD makes us proud.

Fun fact: While Hyper Beam still has to recharge on a KO, residual damage like poison and burn doesn't trigger. This is also true of recoil, and is no small part in why Double-Edge is so good.

Next up is her Mr. Mime. See she's going for both of the horrifying Pokemon this time. Maybe she'll bring out Hypno and go three for three.

Mr. Mime can try to slug it out with us, but he'll get bodied by a guaranteed 2HKO Drill Peck. Or he could be annoying and go for paralysis and prime BRDBRDBRD for finishing off, but he's going to still deal enough damage with Psychic that I don't suspect-

You fucker.

And that Special Drop means that anything except Exeggutor that comes in can probably crush us with a single strong Psychic attack. Come on, Exeggutor, come oooon Exeggutor!

You know, that's fair. I've had some pretty absurd strings of good luck during this LP (in the battles, anyways), it's about time I be on the receiving end of some poo poo.

It's all up to THE BOY now. Amnesia buffing could possibly work out, but Alakazam is quite fast, which means a very high crit rate. Given my luck so far, I'm just going to go for a good old-fashioned damage race. Alakazam is excellent, but without Barrier, its low Defense may be the key to our salvation.

She goes first, obviously, and gets off a solid Psybeam that doesn't actually do as much damage as I was afraid of. Even with only 65 Special compared to Alakazam's 135, THE BOY is still a giant slab of HP. Meanwhile, Body Slam is a dirty 2HKO, or a clean 3HKO. We've probably got this in the bag, as long as nothing super unlucky happens that-

Aha, you thought I was going for another "we're unlucky" joke, didn't you? Nope, this time it's Body Slam's 30% paralysis chance that comes through for us!

And THE BOY has no trouble cleaning up from there.

I was upselling how unlucky we got for comedic effect, but it's more like we got unlucky in that one specific way. Kadabra with Reflect, Alakazam with Disable, Jynx with Lovely Kiss, even Hypno with Hypnosis/Dream Eater could've proven to be an obstacle. How I was going to do in this battle depended much more on how I played the hand I was dealt, rather than what specifically went wrong.

And I've been getting much better at Gen 1 over the course of this LP.

Total Losses: 0

Next Time on Multi-Track Battling: The King of OU.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Nov 27, 2019

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Well I can't imagine the fire gym leader should put up much of a fight vs your gyarados and the world is your oyster when it comes time to take on Giovanni so...

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Does the sleep/freeze rule not apply to the gym castle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

ItBreathes posted:

Does the sleep/freeze rule not apply to the gym castle?

You CANNOT have 2 pokemon asleep OR 2 pokemon frozen at once.

You CAN have 1 pokemon asleep AND 1 different pokemon frozen at once.

Also the nicknames in the next castle may even rival the ones in Koga's castle.