Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Any UK goons may be interested to know - Nintendo are now fixing our Joy-Cons for free.

You might remember that when the US started doing it free of charge, Nintendo UK decided to carry on charging. However I sent in all four of mine, they've come back today and they didn't ask for a penny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Manticore
Aug 23, 2008

Did you mean to make that post, or were you just pushing keys at random?

The Silver Snail posted:

Monolith- The best twinstick roguelite is getting DLC this December, and the devs plan to attempt porting to Switch some time after that!

I lost my Steam save a while back and have been waiting for a port. This rules.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

The Silver Snail posted:

Frankly Crypt of the Necrodancer has more content, is more replayable, and is the more honed version of the "rhythm dungeon crawler." Cadence is pretty good, soundtrack is great zelda music, but if the actual gameplay under the Zelda coat of paint is the part that looks interesting to you, you'll spend more time on Necrodancer.

I've only done the Cadence demo but I prefer it to Necrodancer. I'll get it soon, but since it's more goal oriented there's more of a drive. The original gave me the same fatigue all rogue like games do. Plus the newer one is easier. Necrodancer is seriously tough to the point of frustration. It's a great game but I find Cadence more promising.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

SelenicMartian posted:

FBH generally drags on both in and out of battles, though the DLC gives you stupidly deadly skills. SoT is far more tightly designed.

It also has a random game breaking bug that will force you to restart the entire game if you encounter it.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

cadence doesn't really have much staying power, you'll play it maybe once per character and then that's it you've basically seen everything it has to offer

necrodancer meanwhile ends up with waaaay more replayability like a more classic roguelike

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Cadence is super short and easy, but the music is nice. I've never played Necrodancer.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Yeah I got necrodancer for $5 or so on vita, then on supersale for switch and come back to it every so often even though I've pretty much hit my skill ceiling with like half the game still unlocked. Cadence seems like it won't have that "come back for a couple rounds" staying power so I'm hesitant to spend more than like $10 on it

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
Cadence is 2-3 hours of exploration, with plenty of downtime and calmer bits in between the short, more intense dungeons.

Necrodancer is ~20 minutes of constant escalation

Once you've learned everything Necrodancer is a lot more appealing, since you can jump right in and play without the downtime, but Cadence is a lot more approachable for someone who doesn't like the "die 100 times before your first win" style of roguelike learning.

Both have fantastic music.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Right. I realize this sounds dismissive but it's not supposed to be: do you like rogue likes or would you rather actually finish a game?

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Right. I realize this sounds dismissive but it's not supposed to be: do you like rogue likes or would you rather actually finish a game?

Just pointing out that people who enjoy roguelikes generally play them until they they finish them. It's just a less linear progression than with a traditionally structured game. The space between the start line and finish line of a roguelike is the practice and skills you have to learn to pull off those winning runs. Cadence has some of Necrodancer's rougelike elements, but plays soft ball with so many upgrades and heart containers that only the first 20 minutes are actually very difficult, even in a permadeath run. Otherwise Cadence plays much more like a linearly structured game, albeit with a randomly generated map.

Butterfly Valley posted:

Crypt of the necrodancer is currently on sale, but I plan to get Cadence of Hyrule in the future and don't feel like I need two games with that concept.

I suppose I'm trying to say that Necrodancer and Cadence aren't quite so similar in concept after all.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

100YrsofAttitude posted:

It's worth noting that it takes like 2 hours to beat cadence and then you never really want to touch it ever again.

Also you can completely break the difficulty as soon as you get your first weapon. Cute game, not actually very fun to play imo

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

KingSlime posted:

It's worth noting that it takes like 2 hours to beat cadence and then you never really want to touch it ever again.

I enjoyed playing it with all three characters and it's not bad for a 'fool around for a bit' game.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

As charming as Cadence is, the randomization is mostly superfluous. I'd've preferred a tightly crafted experience, 'cause there's little motivation to play it more than once.

Necrodancer, on the other hand, has a whole bunch of content I haven't yet unlocked. Which motivates me to keep playing the game.

I actually don't play nearly as much Mario Kart 8 as I'd like to because it came with basically everything unlocked. I know it's broke-brained, but I would've preferred having to beat a handful of courses to unlock all the drivers and tracks and whatnot.

I'm not terribly interested in the car customization stuff, which it seems to shower me with at random.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

I enjoyed playing it with all three characters and it's not bad for a 'fool around for a bit' game.

Eh as a huge cadence fan i was just expecting something more substantial. Even though it's the exact same gameplay it's somehow way more shallow. I would have been fine just watching a few videos but it wasn't a very expensive game so it's not a big deal

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

The Silver Snail posted:

Just pointing out that people who enjoy roguelikes generally play them until they they finish them. It's just a less linear progression than with a traditionally structured game. The space between the start line and finish line of a roguelike is the practice and skills you have to learn to pull off those winning runs. Cadence has some of Necrodancer's rougelike elements, but plays soft ball with so many upgrades and heart containers that only the first 20 minutes are actually very difficult, even in a permadeath run. Otherwise Cadence plays much more like a linearly structured game, albeit with a randomly generated map.

I get you. I really like the idea of the genre but I don't have the the patience to deal with all the randomness.

What broke me at the final boss of Necrodancer was having to get there every time. It wasn't something I could do consistently, so I wasn't getting the practice I needed and it just burned me out.

With other games of the same genre the difficulty is what eventually gets me. I love TOME, for example, but it's TOUGH. Eventually a new game comes out, which I'll focus on and then it's too much trouble to remember how to play the rogue like.

Anyway, that's my story. Great genre awfully frustrating till you git gud, as they say.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

KingSlime posted:

Also you can completely break the difficulty as soon as you get your first weapon. Cute game, not actually very fun to play imo

This is ok with me. Steam rolling to Zelda tracks is fine.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

100YrsofAttitude posted:

This is ok with me. Steam rolling to Zelda tracks is fine.

I mean I definitely enjoyed those 2 hours. Then it was over and I was back on the eShop looking for something to play.

Speaking of, I'm intrigued by children of morta. Anyone here know if it's good or just repetitive? I guess that's always the risk with rouge likes/lites, though I've discovered that I really enjoy the "good ones"

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Any new players of Warframe:

Starting out is confusing, yes, but the most important thing you can do is just play missions and Hoover up resources.

The whole game is about amassing huge mountains of materials and then building stuff.

Just keep plodding along.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Pokemon is very fun

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
DQXI is very fun

but I ran into a dickhead squid boss that demolished my party in a few turns. Feels like the obligatory mid game difficulty wall ugh, time to roam the seas and level up for a bit. Maybe I'll do some tickington 2D stuff

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

KingSlime posted:

DQXI is very fun

but I ran into a dickhead squid boss that demolished my party in a few turns. Feels like the obligatory mid game difficulty wall ugh, time to roam the seas and level up for a bit. Maybe I'll do some tickington 2D stuff

Get Hustle Dance and maybe that’s good enough

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago

100YrsofAttitude posted:

What broke me at the final boss of Necrodancer was having to get there every time. It wasn't something I could do consistently, so I wasn't getting the practice I needed and it just burned me out.

This is an issue with some roguelikes but Necrodancer specifically has a training area in the lobby that lets you freely practice against any boss/enemy you've encountered with any weapon you want

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

KingSlime posted:

DQXI is very fun

Explore the seaside town (Lonalulu?) a bit more. You can get some help to make the fight easier.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

I beat transistor and it was very fun

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

So, Mana Spark is pretty fun.
I've yet to beat the second area but here are some highlights:

- The combat for the first character (I think they are all bow users of some sort) is a little Souls-like in that his shot roots him in place. I definitely get the same feeling like in DS where you know you hosed up the timing and get to eat poo poo.

- The second character uses a mobile crossbow and gets three dashes. Weak but way faster.

- Most times that you die you can try your luck with a random build of items you've unlocked plus a bonus card. Sometimes it is extra health or even a gob of bonus runes (currency to unlock stuff)

- You can buy and assign a passive bonus to all runs. They are exclusive to each other but give a nice boost.

- You're able to research an enemy type to make them way weaker. I was having an issue with these fast orcs so I spent some runes and now each one goes down fast. One one type can be weakened at a time.

- Runs tend to be fast, which I really appreciate.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Achmed Jones posted:

I beat transistor and it was very fun

Does it make more sense eventually?

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Thanks for the giant squid tips, fam. I happened to just unlock hustle dance last night and yeah I didn't really poke around in Honolulu so I'll do that before my next attempt!

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
https://twitter.com/babaisyou_/status/1195720514632896513

Baba will have a level editor in 2020, and that feature will be also available on the Switch version.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Super Baba Maker

Oh Mister B
Feb 29, 2008

i could not get thru september w/o a battle

Inzombiac posted:

So, Mana Spark is pretty fun.

I was pretty lukewarm to it at first, but kept coming back. Worth the few bucks I spent on it. I've only played it for a few hours so maybe things change down the line, but I get pretty tired of the run back through the forest after every death.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I've played Pokemon Sword for about 2 hours and

Andrast posted:

Pokemon is very fun

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009
Maybe I'm odd but I actually replay cadence more than crypt. If you found the story too easy, try permadeath since It also has harder mobs.

I'm a filthy casual and like how cadence has an intense start then you can build a buffer with bottles or a decent weapon. Crypt is fun but it is so hard to heal damage and escalating difficulty keeps me stressed the whole time.

Edit: tl;dr Cadence for chill Zelda with sick music or Crypt for more intense action

Kyoujin fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Nov 16, 2019

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Does it make more sense eventually?

Sort of? You don't exactly get the technical specifications for the process, nor do they explain just how it works getting people inside your sword, but it was good enough for me. Basically they'll say things like "X did something and caused Y" but not specify the exact details of "something" or how that caused Y and you just kinda have to roll with it. To be honest I prefer that sort of broad-strokes narrative in games though 🤷‍♀️

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Snake Maze posted:

This is an issue with some roguelikes but Necrodancer specifically has a training area in the lobby that lets you freely practice against any boss/enemy you've encountered with any weapon you want

Just encounter? I thought you had to best them once first.

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating
Brother in law got me a $20 Nintendo gift card. Anything new in the Eshop under $20 that’s worth grabbing?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

AOCs Pink Pearl posted:

Brother in law got me a $20 Nintendo gift card. Anything new in the Eshop under $20 that’s worth grabbing?

Into the Breach, assuming you're talking USD. I'm in Canada, so I think the game is $20 plus tax here.

Anyway, even if you end up paying a bit extra, it's so good.

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Into the Breach, assuming you're talking USD. I'm in Canada, so I think the game is $20 plus tax here.

Anyway, even if you end up paying a bit extra, it's so good.

$14.99+ tax usd. Grabbing it!

Edit: actually I’m gonna give it a few more minutes to see if anything else is recommended.

A Concrete Divider fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Nov 16, 2019

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

AOCs Pink Pearl posted:

$14.99+ tax usd. Grabbing it!

Post about it when you can, I along with practically every goon who plays it absolutely adores it, and for good reason. It's a neat turn-based strategy game that tells you the enemies' next move, and you have to figure out how to deal with it and at least mitigate disaster, if not outright cancel it.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

KingSlime posted:

DQXI is very fun

Pro tip on that fight: if Serena doesn’t have Kabuff yet, you are not high enough level. Also consider getting Hymm of Ice on her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Just encounter? I thought you had to best them once first.

Nope, just encounter. I used it myself to practice one of the other characters' final bosses before actually beating it.