Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Is it some kind of prerelease patch or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

doesn't seem like it

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless
Apparently breaks all mods.
Not sure it's worth it.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
I noticed that there are other videogames out now such as Luigi's Mansion 3, Death Stranding, and most importantly, Planet Zoo! :v: So I have made myself to-do list to keep on track and finish the "plot" part of the game:

+ Now that I know how to synthesize tablets, go to the disease quarantine place and cure my green acne
+ Once that's done, go to the alien gun control room and turn off the gun
+ Go to the Aurora and get spaceship blueprint from Captain's Quarters because I finally got the radio with the code
+ Build spaceship, fly away!

I anticipate zero problems with this schedule and I will see you all shortly back on good ol' planet Earth. :patriot:

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless

turtlecrunch posted:

I noticed that there are other videogames out now such as Luigi's Mansion 3, Death Stranding, and most importantly, Planet Zoo! :v: So I have made myself to-do list to keep on track and finish the "plot" part of the game:

+ Now that I know how to synthesize tablets, go to the disease quarantine place and cure my green acne
+ Once that's done, go to the alien gun control room and turn off the gun
+ Go to the Aurora and get spaceship blueprint from Captain's Quarters because I finally got the radio with the code
+ Build spaceship, fly away!

I anticipate zero problems with this schedule and I will see you all shortly back on good ol' planet Earth. :patriot:

You forgot something before the last step:
+ Be sure to play with your cuddlefish one last time. :(

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Update: you know what I'm just coming back to this game later :cry:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Klg1XvhqDZg

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
Haha, it got ya.

It gets us all, buddy.

I will say that the one you might scan/pick up for an example...is pretty close-by, and not any deeper, geographically, at least. So you don't have to search the WHOLE map for it.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
I get as far as building the rocket, then hang around and keep exploring and expanding my bases.

Makes me wish you had the option to call the company, tell them you’re not coming back, oh by the way the big gun is shut down and the plague is cured, send colonists.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Considering that everything past the Peeper range is dead, y'might want to tell them to lay off a few years.

Or just build in the dead bits. All that mineral wealth :capitalism:

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

I mean, an entire planet with all the correct elements for mostly-edible life but which has been held below population saturation for centuries?

With planetary scale logistics and enough processing power you could custom-mold the entire biosphere. poo poo, the job is already half started!

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

WarpedNaba posted:

Considering that everything past the Peeper range is dead, y'might want to tell them to lay off a few years.

Or just build in the dead bits. All that mineral wealth :capitalism:

Surely that’s their problem once they arrive

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Eh, I'm more thinking that three or four Auroras are definitely gonna gently caress up the ecosystem before it even gets back off the ground.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

IMO cure the plague, keep the gun active, and tell Alterra "gently caress you, this place is mine"

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Bargearse posted:

I get as far as building the rocket, then hang around and keep exploring and expanding my bases.

Makes me wish you had the option to call the company, tell them you’re not coming back, oh by the way the big gun is shut down and the plague is cured, send colonists.

Well most of the planet seems to only be inhabited by ghost leviathans in a bottomless sea, so...

Hope they send some whalers

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The finale does show you the planet has other islands and at least one large landmass, on top of the polar region expansion.

Spreading the Khaara cure is the baby Emperors' job, I figure that'll be a long-term task for them. Raises questions whether their ability to calm sealife extends to Ghosts, but don't see why it wouldn't.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
When I was playing I had real misgivings about letting Alterra get their hands on the planet, especially with the Sea Emperor babies only just being born.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I can’t remember enough game lore to remember if Alterra was painted as a bad guy because everything I know about the Lore in Subnautica was replaced by this series:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puU7C44XeAA

Zesty fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Nov 12, 2019

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
alterra was Typical GlobalCorp Turned Up To 11 Million like most dystopian corporate futures. so, yes.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Captain Invictus posted:

alterra was Typical GlobalCorp Turned Up To 11 Million like most dystopian corporate futures. so, yes.

You mean a typical corporation with all the regulation that they chafe under removed?

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
There are several datapads you can find in Wrecks that define the various space nation-state-groups of the future, and Alterra's are some of the most hilariously over the top in that...it's literally all space libertarians, except you can get born into it, but you're still expected to be a consenting member of their hypercorp society, but it's great, because people can't really feel valued by working to enrich their betters or themselves in those OTHER places where they sometimes use *gasp* BOOKS to learn and I'm so proud of being a corporate Companion making other people feel better about themselves for 12 hours a day and also here's a list of reasons why I should invent a von neumann swarm of grey goo that builds guns that shoot smaller guns to get myself on the Alterra board of directors and live the good life and this is a great idea that can't possibly go wrong and

They're all well worth searching thoroughly, is all I'll say.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
IIRC it is revealed that you only survived because your fabricators glitched out and failed to charge you a fee for every little thing you made.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I thought that was all in the tally it gives you at the end

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

P sure that was over the diamonds and gold.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Fangz posted:

IIRC it is revealed that you only survived because your fabricators glitched out and failed to charge you a fee for every little thing you made.

I thought the thing was "it's added to your bill once you get back to civilization where you can actually pay" thing.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
This is why whenever I launch for Alterran space, I have two titanium and my habitat builder on me. You guys want all these ion cubes and batteries and cells I have stored in my lockets on the escape rocket? You want the blueprint for how to make more, and analysis of the substances involved (not to mention all the data on the planet and the precursors/Degasi)?

Weigh those benefits against the cost of wiping my bill and making me a member of the board of directors, or I can construct a trashcan to atomize it all, my PDA included (sorry, girl), forever really *really* fast.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'm pretty sure your PDA probably uploads everything automatically, unfortunately.

Like half the other escape pod people die because Alterra gear doesn't work as advertised.

There's also a big blurb in one file about what when you read between the lines is basically slavery.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm pretty sure your PDA probably uploads everything automatically, unfortunately.

Like half the other escape pod people die because Alterra gear doesn't work as advertised.

There's also a big blurb in one file about what when you read between the lines is basically slavery.

Not quite slavery but indentured servitude. It seems that Alterra generally does whatever it can to keep people in debt so they can't afford to leave. The one PDA has a blurb about Alterra not really liking charity but despite that it does help people out by having a lottery system that randomly picks down and out people to get a free* education. Just sign here and indenture yourself to the corporation for decades.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Not quite slavery but [slavery]. It seems that Alterra generally does whatever it can to keep people in [slavery]. The one PDA has a blurb about Alterra not really liking charity but despite that it does help people out by having a lottery system that randomly picks down and out people to get a free* education. Just sign here and [enslave] yourself to the corporation for decades.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Attention. Thread failure imminent. All personnel abandon ship.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
Well, I mean, the satire of capitalism and corporate idiocy is pretty core to the game's lore for Alterra and about 3/4 of its humor.

It's pretty on-topic.

Alterrans can be brave, self-sacrificing, kind-hearted and friendly people!

...who just happen to live in a nightmarishly dystopian society under the cheerful shiny gloss.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Zesty posted:

I can’t remember enough game lore to remember if Alterra was painted as a bad guy because everything I know about the Lore in Subnautica was replaced by this series:

It's technically canon (not sure how, though) since 00FU gives you the codes to the Captain's room. :sun:

Yoda
Dec 11, 2003

A Jedi I am

Zesty posted:

Just watched this from beginning to end after you posted it, all I can say is thank you.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Yoda posted:

Just watched this from beginning to end after you posted it, all I can say is thank you.

:allears:

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Yeah someone else introduced it to this thread. It’s so good.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Yoda posted:

Yeah this is great. "Do you have a preference for the color of your rescue ship?"

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

Who in their right mind would want to play a multiplayer coop for a sim game.

This could be interesting as a single player game. Screw multiplayer that’s were they hosed up.

Just takes one random player to join as an engineer and blow up the nuclear reactor. This will happen everytime by the way. SS13 proves if there is a way to blow something up players will choose that option.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
It's not a game you play with random people, it's a game you play with friends, and the assorted forms of chaos that can result are half the point.

I've watched dozens of hours of Barotrauma played by a particular group of youtubers, and it's some of the funniest poo poo I've ever seen.

So, uh, I kind of think you're missing the point.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

EimiYoshikawa posted:

It's not a game you play with random people, it's a game you play with friends, and the assorted forms of chaos that can result are half the point.

I've watched dozens of hours of Barotrauma played by a particular group of youtubers, and it's some of the funniest poo poo I've ever seen.

So, uh, I kind of think you're missing the point.
Exactly. Grabbing this from the Payday 2 thread:

If a game requires coordination between team members to succeed but can easily go wrong due to one person screwing up (intentionally or not), playing with random pubbies is generally a bad idea. Play with friends, or at the least play with an organized group of internet people rather than letting RNGesus put you with whoever.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

wolrah posted:

Exactly. Grabbing this from the Payday 2 thread:

If a game requires coordination between team members to succeed but can easily go wrong due to one person screwing up (intentionally or not), playing with random pubbies is generally a bad idea. Play with friends, or at the least play with an organized group of internet people rather than letting RNGesus put you with whoever.

yeah but where would i find an organized group of internet people with an interest in aquatic exploration games?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie
Has there been any movement in mods getting fixed? I've been trying to roll back my copy of Subnautica but downloading the files for it keeps being super slow.