Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Entropic posted:

I kind of love this design from the mystery packs:

excuse me this card has not been given the rigorous R&D playtesting other cards like Oko, Thief of Crowns received and should not be considered an appropriate design for a future set or anything worth talking about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Entropic posted:

I kind of love this design from the mystery packs:

What color would get "all players skip their second main phase" effect?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

PJOmega posted:

What color would get "all players skip their second main phase" effect?

Red, War's Toll is a similar effect.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

You could tap that in response to its own trigger to get mana to spend during the combat phase, right?

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Wafflecopper posted:

You could tap that in response to its own trigger to get mana to spend during the combat phase, right?

Only during the beginning of combat step, you can't float mana between steps.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Wafflecopper posted:

Only if you really wanted to cast something during beginning of combat, and that's strictly worse than doing whatever in your main. Steps and phases.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

One possibly-interesting note: before the M10 rules changes, you could float mana between combat steps, as well as between upkeep and draw. IIRC this latter detail actually ended up relevant in the heyday of Mistbind Clique.

Sit on my Jace fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Nov 16, 2019

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

ItBreathes posted:

Only if you really wanted to cast something during beginning of combat, and that's strictly worse than doing whatever in your main. Steps and phases.

Strictly worse? Clearly not - you have a Rabblemaster and a Goblin Incinerator that you want to cycle and get one extra damage on, and want to have all the rest of your mana up during combat and Crag is your only land drop. It would be stupid to do something at the beginning of combat on your turn if nothing changes during your beginning of combat, but there's cards that do change things.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
There's also stuff like, if you have a manland, but think your opponent has a cryptic command, you can float mana in the beginning of combat step, and if they do tap your team, use it to animate a manland afterwards to attack with. (And if they don't, you just attack with everything except the manland).

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Jabor posted:

There's also stuff like, if you have a manland, but think your opponent has a cryptic command, you can float mana in the beginning of combat step, and if they do tap your team, use it to animate a manland afterwards to attack with. (And if they don't, you just attack with everything except the manland).
Now you have to wait until they Cryptic Command your team at the start of combat, let it resolve, then animate your land to attack.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?
Why would a Boros land prevent you from playing combat tricks? I’d like it if it tapped end of combat.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I think the idea is that it lets you cast aggressive threats on-curve. By the time you need to cast combat tricks on turns 3+, you should likely have other lands you can use for them.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Captain Capitalism posted:

You sure need guts if you're going to conquer FNM with that card.

I wanted to let you know that I appreciated this post.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

ManMythLegend posted:

I wanted to let you know that I appreciated this post.

You made me go back and read it again and I appreciate it now too. That's a deep reference there. Had to address some super early childhood memories lol

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Framboise posted:

You made me go back and read it again and I appreciate it now too. That's a deep reference there. Had to address some super early childhood memories lol

:corsair::hf::corsair:

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

lol the pioneer shown on camera at the SCG Invi looks absolutely miserable. seems like a totally trash format

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Skyl3lazer posted:

lol the pioneer shown on camera at the SCG Invi looks absolutely miserable. seems like a totally trash format

Why? I think it looks great. I also enjoy playing it.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Skyl3lazer posted:

:laffo:

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

fadam posted:

Why? I think it looks great. I also enjoy playing it.

it's a format comprised entirely of the best mindless linear aggro deck from the past few standards. entirely uninteresting.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
I thought the hardened scales deck looked quite fun. Looking forward to building it as I have a load of the pieces already.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

ilmucche posted:

I thought the hardened scales deck looked quite fun. Looking forward to building it as I have a load of the pieces already.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g20FKjlQ1B0

Having tried Standard FNM the last couple of weeks, this video explains my feelings extremely well.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Is there Single format where oko should exist after Monday?

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

I think people's hate for Oko in standard is clouding their judgment of Oko in older formats. I mean modern has cards like busted cards like urza, mox opal, w6, tron lands, valakut etc. there's no way Oko is too much for it.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Oko is fine in commander.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Sickening posted:

Maybe a one-of in Vintage.

probably not and also doesn't need to be banned in Legacy yet

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

I wonder if anything other than Oko gets hit. OUAT and Goose are still probably going to fuel a degenerate green deck.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

HMS Beagle posted:

I wonder if anything other than Oko gets hit. OUAT and Goose are still probably going to fuel a degenerate green deck.

They cannot afford the colossal fuckup that would be banning only Oko and still having the format be 90% green decks.

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

Hellsau posted:

They cannot afford the colossal fuckup that would be banning only Oko and still having the format be 90% green decks.

How far do you think they go? OUAT and Avril almost have to get the hammer. Nissa is probably also going to be an issue going forward.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

HMS Beagle posted:

How far do you think they go? OUAT and Avril almost have to get the hammer. Nissa is probably also going to be an issue going forward.

I think Oko, OUAT and Veil would be a fine set of bans. Without Veil there's only so much wrong it could go. Without Oko fuelling Goose, turn 3 Nissas are more costly and without Oko providing extra planeswalker-fueled nut draws and without Veil to defend against (and blow out) interaction, I think Nissa can stick around.

Riversideblues
Jul 23, 2007

Dicks McGillicuddy

Sickening posted:

Hasn't seemed crazy in Pioneer yet for me, powerful but not oppressive.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah honestly the blowout potential of Veil of Summer is so massive in a way that no other hate piece can match. Veil and Oko seem for sure, but Once Upon A Time is proving to be an equally problematic cross-format all star.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
its cool how there is currently no good constructed format

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

little munchkin posted:

And it’s basically all Eldraine’s fault lol

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

And it’s basically all Eldraine’s fault lol

Oko can at least be fixed with a single ban. War of the Spark and Modern Horizons were much worse.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
wotc: This new expansion aimed directly at modern will create fun new archetypes while also empowering tier 2-3 decks with some brand new tools!

wotc, six months later: You know that simpsons episode where they just give up and move the whole town five miles down the road and start over? That's basically our plan with modern now.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

little munchkin posted:

?????? Onslaught block constructed is doing fine???

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Aranan posted:

Oko is fine in commander.

Commander is the only format not being warped by Oko.

Play Commander if you hate Oko basically.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Pioneer is good if you actually play it imo.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Yeah, on a lark I took an old Amonkhet-standard Turbo Fog Approach deck with only very, very, minor changes and took on a spin in Pioneer. It crushed all of the various tribal and aggro decks it played. Control and Combo were problems but whatevs.

What I'm saying is that Pioneer owns so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah so several months later is it safe to say modern horizons is the failure we predicted? Double the price for no good reason, didn't really elevate any tier two decks to speak of (maybe some Karn artifact deck that's now urza), Hogaal summer...