Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Josef bugman posted:

How many of them are Libertarians?

I assumed all of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Peanut Butler posted:

god the popeyes thing has been outing racists in my local fb groups

mcdonalds cartoon sauce craze: "oh those wacky kids, being weird about their sauce!"

popeyes sandwich craze: "look out you will get stabbed"

Yeah I had to unfollow one of my aunts on Facebook because she posted a racist meme that was like "Some of y'all be looking like this when you talk about the Popeye's chicken sandwich" with a picture of some old painting of early 20th century black stereotypes.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

I laughed but is this real? Maybe I'm bad at twitter but I don't see it on her feed.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Faustian Bargain posted:

I laughed but is this real? Maybe I'm bad at twitter but I don't see it on her feed.

https://twitter.com/AOC/status/1195132507752206336

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Faustian Bargain posted:

She has 2 accounts on the Twit site. I saw it on her page, its definitely real.

Great Metal Jesus
Jun 11, 2007

Got no use for psychiatry
I can talk to the voices
in my head for free
Mood swings like an axe
Into those around me
My tongue is a double agent

VitalSigns posted:

I just looked up this episode and uh

Holy lol. But don't worry, it's just a joke, bro! Lighten up!

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

It's just a joke, like on South Park

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/ddale8/status/1195407532732375047

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

not really germane to the current events but this is germane to the thread:

https://twitter.com/MaraWilson/status/1195425467869925385

her cousin is Ben Shapiro and she loving hates him

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/AOC/status/1195458854617862144

:dance:

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Ague Proof posted:

I can personally attest that South Park was partially responsible for a resurgence in anti-Semitism.

I’ve thought about this for a while, because it’s clear that they intend Cartman to be a villain, and yet some people like him unironically. I think the issue is that, with very few exceptions, he never suffers any consequences. He does horrible things and everyone gets mad at him, but they always just sort of forgive and move on since “that’s just Cartman.” I think the only time antisemitism is seriously challenged in the show is the Mel Gibson episode based on The Passion of the Christ, but by the next episode everyone has basically forgotten about it.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
Cartman is an "It's just a joke!" character they've inserted into their "It's just a joke!" show to say the things they know are unacceptable to say without coding them as unacceptable.

But like, as you've pointed out, there's never really very much in the way of consequences or personal growth for that character. It doesn't even rise to the level of Archie Bunker, a show from the 70's.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Although Archie was pretty much always shown as blatantly being if not a bad guy, at least ignorant and not very willing to change that.

He had the occasional epiphany, just not so often that his character got too nice.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
If Cartmen once every episode or so just got wrecked he would be a much more tolerable character.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Hunt11 posted:

If Cartmen once every episode or so just got wrecked he would be a much more tolerable character.

It’s occasionally fun to watch the one episode where he makes fun of breast cancer victims so much that Wendy beats the ever-loving poo poo out of him with the principal’s blessing.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I mean people say "shut up fatass" a lot. Its more of a Ben Garrison situation where they always had terrible opinions coupled with a strong contrarian streak so when people initially pointed it out they doubled down. In doubling down, they attracted anbunch of devoted followers who were also ideological so they self radicalized themselves.

There isn't a lot of daylight between "libertarian" and "nazi" all it takes is a lack of self reflection.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Is Fox News even showing the impeachment inquiry hearings?

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Zwabu posted:

No, they're running "who's the whistleblower" nonstop, as a means to distract and confuse, naturally.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Zwabu posted:

They'll show cherry picked clips edited to further their narrative, overlay it with lies on the side bar, then have the hosts tell their audience what they should think about it. If no better propaganda clips show up they'll repeat their audience's opinion to them on a loop mixed with stuff like "look at how all those people are being violent over Popeyes chicken sandwich instead of us and our Chik-fil-a" while waiting for the editing room to produce their next talking point.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
"The hearings are too boring to watch, don't look at them" is another big Fox talking point.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Cartman is portrayed as terrible and lovely, so his bullshit isn't really the problem. It's no mistake that the Stupid Ugly Fat Kid is also the 'respect mah authoritah!' guy. It's all the stuff the show portrays as correct thats the problem.

Renegade Cut put out a video recently trashing Rick & Morty over this same problem, Rick is lovely but he's also almost always portrayed as correct.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Does anyone have some links to studies about trans women in sports? That loving South Park episode came up in a Discord server I'm in and it would be nice to have actual information to back me up on this.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

Shbobdb posted:

I mean people say "shut up fatass" a lot. Its more of a Ben Garrison situation where they always had terrible opinions coupled with a strong contrarian streak so when people initially pointed it out they doubled down. In doubling down, they attracted anbunch of devoted followers who were also ideological so they self radicalized themselves.

There isn't a lot of daylight between "libertarian" and "nazi" all it takes is a lack of self reflection.

I've never thought about it that way. You're right. There really isn't much daylight there. I think people become libertarians either because they are self centered and unable to understand the basic social contract we have in society. If you reflect even less on those things you pretty much are a nazi because with less reflection you can bring yourself to take away the basic safety and security of people you deem unworthy to live in your ethnostate.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Twelve by Pies posted:

Does anyone have some links to studies about trans women in sports? That loving South Park episode came up in a Discord server I'm in and it would be nice to have actual information to back me up on this.

I think almost all the cases I've seen reported are where it was a woman transitioning to a man, but forced to compete with women because of gender at birth.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

From what I've seen Fox News is loving the whole "Schiff kept silencing Republicans" nonsense. Which, you know, is why the Republicans pulled that stunt.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I think almost all the cases I've seen reported are where it was a woman transitioning to a man, but forced to compete with women because of gender at birth.

A lot of it got kicked off because of the runner. She was either S African or Brazilian I forget which. Anyway she got barred and her accomplishments started because her ovaries are closer to "internal testes" and kick out a fuckton of testosterone. Shes not trans just a particular flavor of intersex.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Shbobdb posted:

A lot of it got kicked off because of the runner. She was either S African or Brazilian I forget which. Anyway she got barred and her accomplishments started because her ovaries are closer to "internal testes" and kick out a fuckton of testosterone. Shes not trans just a particular flavor of intersex.

South African. Caster Semenya

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
I thought it kicked off a while ago because of Fallon Fox?

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Jurgan posted:

I’ve thought about this for a while, because it’s clear that they intend Cartman to be a villain, and yet some people like him unironically. I think the issue is that, with very few exceptions, he never suffers any consequences. He does horrible things and everyone gets mad at him, but they always just sort of forgive and move on since “that’s just Cartman.” I think the only time antisemitism is seriously challenged in the show is the Mel Gibson episode based on The Passion of the Christ, but by the next episode everyone has basically forgotten about it.

I think the biggest issue with Cartman's anti-Semitism is not so much that he rarely suffers negative consequences for it- but rather the targets of his anti-Semitism never suffer negative consequences for his actions. You can tell how completely out of touch with basic Humanity Trey Parker and Matt Stone are, because it never occurs to them that innocent people get hurt when you spread hate speech, even ironically.

In the world of South Park Cartman can spew antisemitism Non-Stop and it never brings any harm to Kyle, it never inspires any violent acts targeted at random Jews. It's just a joke, the meeningless words of a bratty 10 year old.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Hunt11 posted:

Yeah, seeing Cartman either always win or at least skip away without punishment eventually turned me off from watching the show, doubly so as I realized a lot of people in my life growing up were Eric Cartmans themselves and it got immensely unfunny very quickly.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Prester Jane posted:

In the world of South Park Cartman can spew antisemitism Non-Stop and it never brings any harm to Kyle, it never inspires any violent acts targeted at random Jews. It's just a joke, the meeningless words of a bratty 10 year old.

Very true. South Park owes the public an episode where Cartman inspires or provokes an attack on a synagogue or mosque. AND, it's seen as his fault.

Personally, I'd like to see more coverage on attacks on Sikhs. They're aren't Muslim, but they do wear turbans. That has lead to an appalling number of idiots who hate Muslims going after Sikhs by mistake. It sucks that they were going to do something evil, but to miss their intended target because they idiots just makes the act more painful.

https://www.cnn.com/2016/09/14/us/sikh-hate-crimes-list/index.html

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

mllaneza posted:

Very true. South Park owes the public an episode where Cartman inspires or provokes an attack on a synagogue or mosque. AND, it's seen as his fault.

Personally, I'd like to see more coverage on attacks on Sikhs. They're aren't Muslim, but they do wear turbans. That has lead to an appalling number of idiots who hate Muslims going after Sikhs by mistake. It sucks that they were going to do something evil, but to miss their intended target because they idiots just makes the act more painful.

https://www.cnn.com/2016/09/14/us/sikh-hate-crimes-list/index.html

Yeah, it's a good point. Like I said, the one notable exception is "The Passion of the Jew," where Cartman gathers a mob to march through the streets shouting Nazi slogans and they start accusing Kyle's synagogue of killing Jesus. In that one, it was pretty clear that antisemitism is dangerous, but by the next episode it was forgotten and played off as a joke. "Eric is still grounded for trying to exterminate the Jews."

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

mllaneza posted:

Come on, now. You know how it'd go

He'll end up that episode being celebrated as a hero, as it turns out the mosque was home to some nefarious thing and by blowing it up, he stopped it and killed the perpetrators.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

This aged well:

https://twitter.com/meetthepress/status/1191847884611891200?s=21

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I'm gonna pull a couple of these from the Trump thread so we don't get 4 more pages of Cartman

https://twitter.com/LisPower1/status/1195372163127283712

https://twitter.com/KevinMKruse/status/1195368569833431040

https://mobile.twitter.com/ddale8/status/1195407532732375047

None of this is accurate and anyone who WATCHED or LISTENED to it would know that.

It's important to remember when you think your conservative coworkers and family members are living in a different reality that they ARE. This type of poo poo is ALL the "information" they ever get exposed to. And it's been so effective that on the off chance they read a Washington Post headline or hear an NPR interview, they have conditioned themselves to disregard it as fake.

The Republicans have all of a sudden forgotten how an impeachment proceeding works and, similar to the way they selectively talk about "free speech", they're now talking about "due process", "secret hearings" and "the right to face your accuser".

The most frequently run FOX story right now is over that stupid chicken sandwich. Nope, no do whistling there with all "those people" getting worked up over fried chicken *wink* *wink*

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Always good to see when credulous centrist journalists uncritically repeat right-wing propaganda.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Always good to see when credulous centrist journalists uncritically repeat right-wing propaganda.

He could redeem himself if he said “well, I guess that shows impeachment isn’t as toxic to Dems as I thought,” but most likely he just pretends it never happened.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
More state run propaganda and "Dems and libs are the REAL racists/misogynists/homophobes"

https://twitter.com/JasonSCampbell/status/1195544887946596352

This shapes the way people really think and view the world in a scary way.

I've been reading up lately on the stuff that went on during the 60's - Goldwater, vietnam, protests, civil rights, Nixon, JFK/RFK, Kent State and Mayor Daley sicking cops and National Guardsmen on folks at the DNC - and to some extent it's encouraging in a weird way because I can read that some of this is nothing new but back then the only real "it's the loving media" narrative seemed to have been mostly centered around anger at people like Cronkite and not a "the media is the enemy of the state" sort of way like it is now.

Also, for the most part, Nixonians, pro war types, "stomp the hippies" and other hard liners didn't have their own media outlets to fall back and rely on like they do now.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Twelve by Pies posted:

Does it even matter? Even if it was unfair, even if people actually fake transitioned to win in a womans league (???)

"I care about people over games and entertainment, obviously. Sorry, I just don't care."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Does it even matter? Even if it was unfair, even if people actually fake transitioned to win in a womans league (???)

"I care about people over games and entertainment, obviously. Sorry, I just don't care."

It's a wedge issue that Evangelicals are using to push marginalization and eventual criminalization of trans people. In recent years, they've learned that naked bigotry outside of the pulpit doesn't sell well to people, so they hide behind other issues. By crying crocodile tears about the "integrity" of high school sports somehow being sullied by trans people, they're hoping that the public will more-easily swallow their next argument, which will be "And y'know, we really shouldn't be forced to provide any services to trans people if we don't want to..."

It's just very frustrating to actually argue against, because any attempt to cut through that top layer of performative bullshit will usually just get a "wow, that's not what I was saying at all, triggered much, liberal?" reaction, there's a built-in escape hatch. It's another one of those proxy battles, like Chik-Fil-A. No, nobody's "triggered" about people buying lovely chicken sandwiches, they're angry that the company donates to organizations pushing to make being gay a jail-worthy crime. Stop pretending otherwise.