Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

MonsterEnvy posted:

Not sure where the this is the easiest game yet thing is coming. I am playing on Set and swapping out some new pokemon once in a while. But other than at the start I have never been particularly ahead of the Level curve and things have been decently tough.

yea I just got past the fire gym onto route 6 and my team only has my starter and the corvisquire I caught right away as my big 'oh poo poo' mons, everyone else is a hair lower or on par with the Cheer grunts I fought to get there. Maybe it's because I'm swapping my team around more but I'm gonna dip back to the Wild Zone for some candies to bump some 'mons up if anything. It's pokemon so it's not exactly challenging but I'm not exactly steamrolling my way through Poke-England

And yea joining raids is hit or miss for me, sometimes I get right in easy as pie, sometimes I get the 'woops no connection'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Blaziken386 posted:

does anyone know if you can change the bike outfit, like, at all

even if it's limited to the gym uniforms or whatever, I'll take it, it's better than being dressed like a clown :gonk:

If you talk to the Bike Master or whatever his name is in the Wild Zone he can change it to a different one but they seem to all be presets themed around types. Still, my Steel outfit is mildly less bad than the default.

quote:

I guess they were tired of people filling out their pokedexes by breeding a couple dozen mareanie and leaving them overnight, and felt "only being able to trade directly with people" was more true to the original intent of trading or whatever

I'm assuming this is because they live in japan, where the population density and popularity means even local connection probably gets you a dozen hits easily

That does make sense I guess but boy does it upset me

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Anyone need a GMax butterfree I just caught my 3rd...

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I am using a lot of different pokemon because the ones I like keep evolving and getting too ugly to stomach

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Does anyone know if Gigantomax mons pass down Gigantomaxing, because if not the feature is incredibly worthless if you’re not save editing somehow

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Super No Vacancy posted:

I am using a lot of different pokemon because the ones I like keep evolving and getting too ugly to stomach

you can press B while they're evolving and they'll stop

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
My thoughts on the raid issue is that nintendo isn’t refreshing the stamps very fast, so youll get a lot that look like seeking but have already started.

My only evidence for this is that if i first set the search stamps filter to max raids only. And then wait for the press x to refresh stamps option to show up. And pick the top one on the list after the refresh (my guess that this is the one with the longest timer) I actually get into the raid with like a 75% success rate.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

Blaziken386 posted:

even if it's limited to the gym uniforms or whatever, I'll take it, it's better than being dressed like a clown :gonk:

yeah, I swapped to set first thing and the game is better for it.

I guess they were tired of people filling out their pokedexes by breeding a couple dozen mareanie and leaving them overnight, and felt "only being able to trade directly with people" was more true to the original intent of trading or whatever

I'm assuming this is because they live in japan, where the population density and popularity means even local connection probably gets you a dozen hits easily

If you talk to the Wild Area guys who also sell you stuff, they'll change your jacket to match the type of the first Pokemon in your party.

And yeah, not being able to wear Gym Uniforms when doing the challenge yourself is stupid.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

for as long as i've been playing today when im in a wild area i cant see any active raids, what gives?

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

I'm pretty sure it's messed up for whatever reason. Same boat here.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

The trading system sucks rear end so much holy moley

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Anyone need a GMax butterfree I just caught my 3rd...
I'd like one! I only found one and it ran away.

Tom Gorman posted:

I'm pretty sure it's messed up for whatever reason. Same boat here.
While most of the raids have messed up for whatever reason, I've actually gotten in a fair amount of them. The main issue is that the stamps are either old (and thus the lobby is full) or the person went "eh, gently caress this" and cancelled it early

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So what design were you guys lukewarm about and then ended up loving

Falinks went from okay to incredible the second I saw it ingame.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Blaziken386 posted:

While most of the raids have messed up for whatever reason, I've actually gotten in a fair amount of them. The main issue is that the stamps are either old (and thus the lobby is full) or the person went "eh, gently caress this" and cancelled it early

im just having it so none of the raid points in the whole zone are lit up at all

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Toxtricity's evolution animation is great

thekodfish
Oct 31, 2010
Yam Slacker
Is there anyone out there interested in trading fossils? I used the digging brothers in the Wild Area to get a few spares of the Sword exclusive fossils, and I'd like to get at least one each of the Shield fossils so I can get Dracovish. I've got a bunch of Farfetch'd I've bred up I can attach them to, and I don't really care what pokemon I get in return.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Internet Kraken posted:

Both of the Sobble evolutions are way better in motion than the stills. Wish I could feel the same about the other starters.

Cartoon Violence
Oct 30, 2012

Stop being such goons, you CLODS!

For those wondering or wanting one, you CAN catch a Ralts before getting the 1st Gym Badge. What you do is:
Save right inside the city a couple of steps from entering the Wild Zone.
Open your map and check the weather for the Rolling Fields of the Wild Zone. You're looking for a cloud partially covering the sun AKA overcast.
If the weather isn't that, SAVE your game and close the game.
Go to your Switch's system clock and set it ahead 1 day.
Open the game and check the weather in that region again.
Repeat until the Rolling Fields are Overcast.
Go there. Ralts has a 2% chance of spawning as an Overworld Pokemon NOT a random grass encounter. It makes a noise different than the others in the area and when you get near, sweat drops appear above its head and it floats above the grass and flies away from you. It's between Levels 7 and 10 and has a high catchrate.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Can you change the male characters backpack? Can you get a smaller one? Or is it always that big, dumb duffel bag?

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

omg chael crash posted:

Can you change the male characters backpack? Can you get a smaller one? Or is it always that big, dumb duffel bag?

Yes, in the second town (I believe) there's a shop with customization options.

Where all the max raid battles at?? Can't find any. Can't join other people's either.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Same question but for the girl character. I don't think I saw a smaller bag/purse option

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
it kicks rear end that the game saw i had caught pokemon and didnt make me do the tutorial

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Yes, in the second town (I believe) there's a shop with customization options.

Where all the max raid battles at?? Can't find any. Can't join other people's either.

they're basically the same model though

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

so i shouldn't have bought each of the color schemes for the big dumb duffel right away??? :v:

at least i resisted the amazingly stupid Arcanine shirt

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Blaziken386 posted:

Yes, you have to go to one of the watt traders.

In fact, don't use the pokemon you had in the lead when you first got the bike.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
BTW did I miss something or does the game only give you one of Alcremie's evo items and holds the rest away somewhere?

Kind of bummed cause I wnated a lemon flavored cutie cream but I'm on the 7th gym and sick of having level 48 unevolved pokemon.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Anyone want to trade my Farfetch'd for a ditto?

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

I wouldn't say loving, but I'm liking Carkol and Coalossol a lot more than I thought I would

Internet Kraken posted:

BTW did I miss something or does the game only give you one of Alcremie's evo items and holds the rest away somewhere?

Kind of bummed cause I wnated a lemon flavored cutie cream but I'm on the 7th gym and sick of having level 48 unevolved pokemon.
you can get them from the battle cafe/pastry shops randomly
also, the evo item only changes the accessory, not the cream color. THAT is determined by the time of day you spin, the direction you spin, and how long you spin.

iospace posted:

Yes, you have to go to one of the watt traders.

In fact, don't use the pokemon you had in the lead when you first got the bike.
it's super dumb that the arm warmers are always lime green, just saying

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Man the story this time is actually pretty neat. The aesthetic around the dynamax thing is surprisingly more like that old series giant monster pokemon episode than it is “supersize your friends.”

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Blaziken386 posted:

you can get them from the battle cafe/pastry shops randomly
also, the evo item only changes the accessory, not the cream color. THAT is determined by the time of day you spin, the direction you spin, and how long you spin.

what

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

wow they really looked at the wild area's performance while riding a bike and went "hm, let's highlight this with a minigame," huh
run in a tight circle for a couple seconds. you'll spin~!

it causes milcrie to evolve because you're literally whipping the cream :cheeky:

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

With the people I've known who were SUPER SERIOUS about biking, the completely hideous, garish biking outfit is pretty true to life.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

Perrserker might be my new favorite pokemon overall, it's so good.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Blaziken386 posted:

SW-4220-5259-7911

Add me I'll be abck online in like 10-15 mins. IGN: Katherine.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
So the fire gym handed my rear end back to me. I didn't expect 3 FIRE STONE EVOLVED Pokemon and a Gigantimax. :psyduck: Dubwool using Retaliate was a cinematic finish.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Anyone know a good catching-mon? I've been using a ninjask with False Swipe, only to realize too late that ninjask doesn't learn any status moves nor can it learn odor sleuth/a type changing move like soak, which means it's much less effective on ghost pokemon.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

SW-4220-5259-7911

Add me I'll be abck online in like 10-15 mins. IGN: Katherine.
Cool, thanks!
My IGN is Lizbeth, and I'll be back on in like, 45 minutes.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

How are you people over leveling? Are you just feeding all the exp candies to your pokemon whenever you get them?

I just got wiped in the 4th gym. Alistair's Gengar was two levels higher than any of my pokemon and it just instantly one shot everything. I had to go back in with a careful plan involving sucker punch and teaching dig to the one pokemon that could actually not die in one hit on my party. I guess part of my problem was that my dark type I was relying on was Impidimp, and he's still weak to Gengar's poison.

I'm getting destroyed by random trainers too. Constantly having an exciting struggle against difficult opponents. It's great, but it kinda sucks flying back to the pokecenter so often.

How have I managed this? Everyone else seems to be complaining about how easy it is to be 5+ levels beyond trainers.

I've fought every trainer I've seen. I've just never used any of my XP candies, and caught/fought basically no wild pokemon outside of raid battles.

Honestly, this is some of the most fun I've had with random trainer battles in a Pokemon game. I actually have to think about things. If this is somehow the fault of how I'm dealing with the exp share (sinking all my exp into slow-growing pokemon, letting the fast growing ones passively keep up), then I might change my opinion on that system.

Pylons posted:

Perrserker might be my new favorite pokemon overall, it's so good.
Oh god it is. I thought it went a bit too far from the cat theme at first, but it's such a fun pokemon to use. I caught an adamant one with tough claws first try, and I love that violent little ball of spikes.

I was going to use it for early game steel coverage and drop it once my Corviknight evolved, but honestly, I might drop the Corviknight instead.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Shneak posted:

So the fire gym handed my rear end back to me. I didn't expect 3 FIRE STONE EVOLVED Pokemon and a Gigantimax. :psyduck: Dubwool using Retaliate was a cinematic finish.

yea I like that they actually in game world acknowledge 'haha yea this is the gym where poo poo gets real for a lot of trianers'

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

In Shield, is the town you fight the ghost gym leader in themed around ghosts? Because the fighting gym is in like, a canyon in sword. Curious if the entire town changes as well as the gym

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

Eiba posted:

How are you people over leveling? Are you just feeding all the exp candies to your pokemon whenever you get them?

I just got wiped in the 4th gym. Alistair's Gengar was two levels higher than any of my pokemon and it just instantly one shot everything. I had to go back in with a careful plan involving sucker punch and teaching dig to the one pokemon that could actually not die in one hit on my party. I guess part of my problem was that my dark type I was relying on was Impidimp, and he's still weak to Gengar's poison.

I'm getting destroyed by random trainers too. Constantly having an exciting struggle against difficult opponents. It's great, but it kinda sucks flying back to the pokecenter so often.

How have I managed this? Everyone else seems to be complaining about how easy it is to be 5+ levels beyond trainers.

I've fought every trainer I've seen. I've just never used any of my XP candies, and caught/fought basically no wild pokemon outside of raid battles.

Honestly, this is some of the most fun I've had with random trainer battles in a Pokemon game. I actually have to think about things. If this is somehow the fault of how I'm dealing with the exp share (sinking all my exp into slow-growing pokemon, letting the fast growing ones passively keep up), then I might change my opinion on that system.

Oh god it is. I thought it went a bit too far from the cat theme at first, but it's such a fun pokemon to use. I caught an adamant one with tough claws first try, and I love that violent little ball of spikes.

I was going to use it for early game steel coverage and drop it once my Corviknight evolved, but honestly, I might drop the Corviknight instead.

You can powerlevel in the wild area by attacking the big pokemon wandering around. You can be fighting pokemon 3-4 levels above you and you can powerlevel really quickly that way. You do need to head eastwards and northwards into the areas slightly further away from the start zone, though. You can clear them pretty easily even if they outlevel you if you stack up STAB + a 4x damage move, and you know what you're challenging so you can swap pokemon around/teach TMs to optimise that.