Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Macintosh HD posted:

Was Zeffo the Zelda dungeon?

I'd call it more of a Darksiders dungeon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Ambaire posted:

I'm disappointed that the very first parry you do doesn't cut their weapon in half and then the rest of the game is a brutal smackdown as everything the stormtroopers bring to the table gets sliced and diced, complete with comedic reaction voiceovers from them.

Hell yeah, Star Wars Jedi: Revengeance

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Dodge the unlockable and then do a heavy melee combo with the staff saber on Purge Troopers is a pretty reliable way of taking out more than half their health without having to work through their guard.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Funso Banjo posted:

You’ve tried setting the priority to ‘realtime ’?

EA’s pc version of madden needed this fix for me too

Grog posted:

You can try that stuff. It stopped my game from stuttering constantly near the start to barely ever stuttering, except a brief one at certain spots when the game loads the next area.

Thanks for these. I've tried these now too and still no dice. I tried to reset everything to default but it's now running worse than before. I must've missed some setting somewhere. Blah.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Has anyone else had a problem where Origin instantly crashes when they try to launch the game from Steam? I've tried fully uninstalling Origin, restarting the computer, restarting Steam, and even stuff like port forwarding and haven't had any luck. Origin is kind of a piece of poo poo and I didn't realize that it would still use it even when buying from Steam.

Looking like I might need to get a refund, since while other people have had the same problem it doesn't seem to be enough people that I'm expecting a fix.

edit: One of the weird things about this is that after it pops up the "Origin has encountered a serious problem and muse close" error, if I clicked "Restart Origin" it doesn't actually restart Origin. Origin is just sitting there open and doesn't seem to actually respond to anything that happens in Steam. When I uninstalled Origin and launched the game, it proceeded to install Origin before throwing the same error. Something is hosed up about the way Steam connects to Origin.

edit2: I think I finally fixed it. If this works, the problem was that EALink specifically needed to be set to "run as administrator" (instead of Origin).

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Nov 17, 2019

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Are there any other different color crystals? I have blue, green, and orange (from the deluxe edition) and that's it.

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

Jolo posted:

Thanks for these. I've tried these now too and still no dice. I tried to reset everything to default but it's now running worse than before. I must've missed some setting somewhere. Blah.
A couple of other things to try that I've seen help elsewhere: try updating/repairing the game (if you haven't already), and try disabling Origin's cloud saves.

Apparently several people noticed better performance overall when the cloud saves were disabled. I don't know why, but I'm going to try it anyway and see if it makes any difference for me. Other than a couple of more open areas on Zeffo, the game has mostly been running around 60 fps just fine so far, though.

e: Oh yeah, and you could also try turning off "Share Usage Data" inside the game itself. That apparently also improved performance for some people.

some dillweed fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Nov 17, 2019

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Jose Oquendo posted:

Are there any other different color crystals? I have blue, green, and orange (from the deluxe edition) and that's it.

Yep, you get them as a plot related thing

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Ok I’m back at Zeffo and just fought the 2nd Sister. Approximately how far am I into the game?

I am enjoying my time with this game but it’s so frustrating how much better the combat would be if it were more responsive and fair. I’m playing through on Grandmaster and feel like parrying is frankly not worth it for how much stamina all the Purge troopers have. If you can’t chain 3-4 parries (each with seemingly different length windows) then you’re gonna eat it. Every mini-boss kills you in two hits no matter how much health and upgrades you have, and I’m currently at a section that has like 15 minutes of platforming around a set piece and two big fights and no checkpoints and it’s very rapidly sapping my resolve to continue. If I’m over halfway done then I’ll press on, but I don’t want to go through this 3-4 more times.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Bust Rodd posted:

Ok I’m back at Zeffo and just fought the 2nd Sister. Approximately how far am I into the game?

I am enjoying my time with this game but it’s so frustrating how much better the combat would be if it were more responsive and fair. I’m playing through on Grandmaster and feel like parrying is frankly not worth it for how much stamina all the Purge troopers have. If you can’t chain 3-4 parries (each with seemingly different length windows) then you’re gonna eat it. Every mini-boss kills you in two hits no matter how much health and upgrades you have, and I’m currently at a section that has like 15 minutes of platforming around a set piece and two big fights and no checkpoints and it’s very rapidly sapping my resolve to continue. If I’m over halfway done then I’ll press on, but I don’t want to go through this 3-4 more times.

You're probably 70%. I just beelined the end of the game from there because gently caress backtracking through this no fast travel slog. You've got some fun bosses coming up, but also one very boring story "dungeon" in the mix.

The checkpointing is bad in general. Bonfires aren't really good for spawning 1997 brawler rooms and this game has a few of those. Then when you add some stupid load masking crawl or a not fun slide (what the gently caress is with all these slides) and some of the runs back to a long or hard fight are very annoying. The boss variety isn't good either. The first AT-ST was already boring.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
gently caress that electrified water puzzle and its loving red herring.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Bust Rodd posted:

Every mini-boss kills you in two hits no matter how much health and upgrades you have, and I’m currently at a section that has like 15 minutes of platforming around a set piece and two big fights and no checkpoints and it’s very rapidly sapping my resolve to continue. If I’m over halfway done then I’ll press on, but I don’t want to go through this 3-4 more times.

Why not just bump the difficulty down long enough to get past that point if you're having fun otherwise?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The climbing and sliding feel extremely dorky and feel like a massive concession to some “Star Wars is for Children” executive meddling.

Basically every single new thing I unlock for BD-1 instead of a new Force Power feels like a wasted opportunity. Why does my blinky Robbie get more upgrades than I do?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Captain Hygiene posted:

Why not just bump the difficulty down long enough to get past that point if you're having fun otherwise?

My problem isn’t so much that the combat is difficult, that’s what I wanted when I picked Grandmaster. It’s that between the PS4 load times and the checkpoint system, you are punished super dramatically for failing a fight or trying out different strats for a boss or a tough enemy. I would get absolutely no enjoyment out of one-shotting every encounter, I just wish I could Zerg rush bosses or hard enemies without having to do 2 minutes of loading and 10 minutes of platforming before any attempt.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
*pushes glasses up nose bridge* have you considered playing on PC with an SSD and enjoying 5 second load times

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Bust Rodd posted:

My problem isn’t so much that the combat is difficult, that’s what I wanted when I picked Grandmaster. It’s that between the PS4 load times and the checkpoint system, you are punished super dramatically for failing a fight or trying out different strats for a boss or a tough enemy. I would get absolutely no enjoyment out of one-shotting every encounter, I just wish I could Zerg rush bosses or hard enemies without having to do 2 minutes of loading and 10 minutes of platforming before any attempt.

You'd beat everything in one or two tries on hard. I went up to Grandmaster and it's a catch 22 because learning enemy moves and stuff is a chore with the platforming and crawling. Thankfully the three major bosses have a bonfire more or less in front of them. The game isn't good at dealing with 8 people attacking you at once though so prepare to die to geometry a lot.

Also be careful sprinting from a bonfire because the game instances in enemies unlike DS/Sekiro and they can spawn behind you rofl

JBP fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Nov 17, 2019

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah I getcha overall, it just sounded like the combat deaths were the chokepoint at that section and I figured it'd be easier just to accept a few unsatisfying fights to avoid another few 15-minute sequences.

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

I wonder if a soldier ever does mend a bullet hole in his coat?
Ten minutes after getting the security droid hack for BD he goes and does his thing and electronically plays the upbeat rebllion theme from ROTJ.

I like that lil guy.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

BD-1 and Greez are lovely.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
BD-1 is played by Ben Burtt, the sound designer of Star Wars and the "voice" of R2 fwiw

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The most satisfying button in this game is dpad down to say "how are you going there BD?"

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

BD is great, I just like to hear him talk. I also found it pretty funny that a lot of the time the "ask BD for a hint" button on Zeffo basically amounted to Cal going "Hey, maybe we should move the sphere over there, right?"/"Boop"

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Whoever said that the fun you have in this game correlates heavily with the enemies you're fighting hit the nail on the head. I just got to the second (optional?) planet and I'm already sick of fighting bugs and poo poo. The game's definitely pretty fun and the facial mocap stuff is keeping me engaged with the characters but drat just let me kill some people :smith:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You loved space goat, now try slug goat.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

JBP posted:

You're probably 70%. I just beelined the end of the game from there because gently caress backtracking through this no fast travel slog. You've got some fun bosses coming up, but also one very boring story "dungeon" in the mix.

The checkpointing is bad in general. Bonfires aren't really good for spawning 1997 brawler rooms and this game has a few of those. Then when you add some stupid load masking crawl or a not fun slide (what the gently caress is with all these slides) and some of the runs back to a long or hard fight are very annoying. The boss variety isn't good either. The first AT-ST was already boring.

wait, thats 70%? like when you fight for the first time post tutorial and BD-1 saves you? or do you go back to zeffo again? no loving way thats 70%

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Mandrel posted:

wait, thats 70%? like when you fight for the first time post tutorial and BD-1 saves you? or do you go back to zeffo again? no loving way thats 70%

Ah whoops I was thinking of a boss on Kashyyk. Yeah there's lots of game to go before you get to a fun boss in that case. That's like, not far at all. I assumed it was a later fight because "how much more" questions usually occur in the second half of the game lol. That's about 30% if that

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Counterpoint: the Zeffo boss was fun

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Captain Hygiene posted:

Counterpoint: the Zeffo boss was fun

Do you mean second sister or the boring at-st

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

JBP posted:

the boring at-st

I know it was simple, but I had fun :downs:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Captain Hygiene posted:

I know it was simple, but I had fun :downs:

If it did more than one thing at a time I'd have liked it more.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Push El Burrito posted:

It feels very good to play such a graceful and talented warrior as a Jedi.

https://gfycat.com/welloffsatisfiedannelid

I can't stop laughing. I mean the first two gently caress ups were entertaining enough on their own, but then that last little capper just made it perfect

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

JBP posted:

If it did more than one thing at a time I'd have liked it more.

Kinda figured it would on a higher difficulty, that'd be nice. But I guess it showing up so unexpectedly and the coolness won me over, I felt pretty badass taking it down.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Haha goddamn, scaling an AT-AT and commandeering it to take down imperial forces :hellyeah:
This is like the culmination of where the Battlefront II campaign had some neat ideas but mostly just whet my appetite for wanting them more fleshed out in a full campaign-focused game, rather than being shoehorned in alongside a multiplayer game.

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

The complete and utter lack of ceremony or impact when Cal discovers/builds his Double-Bladed Lightsaber is so ridiculously jarring. This feels like it should have some level of significance and it has absolutely none.

According to Reddit if you go back to Bogano after finishing Zeffo (man these planet names), you can force push your way into a workshop and you get some kind of cutscene explaining that you found the old man's lightsaber and you're bolting it onto yours. That seems to me like the canonical way you should get your dual-bladed lightsaber.

Makes me think maybe that second upgrade station was a last-minute hack because their playtesters weren't bothering to backtrack and find the upgrade from the first planet.

Captain Hygiene posted:

Haha goddamn, scaling an AT-AT and commandeering it to take down imperial forces :hellyeah:
This is like the culmination of where the Battlefront II campaign had some neat ideas but mostly just whet my appetite for wanting them more fleshed out in a full campaign-focused game, rather than being shoehorned in alongside a multiplayer game.

Yah I thought that was funny, also cracked up that Saw Gerrera has more to do in this video game than he did in Rogue One. Out of nowhere my man just smacks into your windshield.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Chomposaur posted:

Makes me think maybe that second upgrade station was a last-minute hack because their playtesters weren't bothering to backtrack and find the upgrade from the first planet.

I assumed it was because it's about as far as you can get on Dathomir and then is useful on Zeffo. Not so much that it's a required upgrade to get first, but enough that hitting that progression dead end doesn't feel like you wasted time not going to Zeffo right away.

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
Just started the game but I'm gonna guess that every planet is some barren grimdark volcano or forest and you never actually explore settlements or cities?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Chuka Umana posted:

Just started the game but I'm gonna guess that every planet is some barren grimdark volcano or forest and you never actually explore settlements or cities?

You're mainly in the wilds, but there are lots of villages and imperial areas.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
A lot of the custom lightsaber options are the same design/name as ones available at the custom lightsaber stores at Disneyland/World.

Clever world-building or off-putting Disney synergy? You decide.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
I don't like how the custom saber parts are all cosmetic. I thought they would give minor bonuses like more damage, better block, larger parry window, but from what I can see it just modifies how your lightsaber looks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Eddain posted:

I don't like how the custom saber parts are all cosmetic. I thought they would give minor bonuses like more damage, better block, larger parry window, but from what I can see it just modifies how your lightsaber looks.

I'd be way more interested in backtracking for risk/reward saber parts. More damage but less block, maybe an emitter that gives the blade a ragged look and more damage but affects your block stamina. The costumes are also super disappointing reskins of your clothes and a bunch of raincoats. A tool to just choose your clothing colours would have been better.