Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kooriken
Dec 27, 2012

This thread is beneath my talent, but I....shall elevate it.
Oh god Bede what did that old lady do to your outfit? Your first one was so much better!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I will say, this is the first game a gym leader battle theme has made me HYPE AS HELL. I thought the last Pokemon theme from Black/White got me that way, but it's got nothing on the theme in these games. Especially when the chanting kicks in.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
So wait, only certain pokemon within a breed can morph/gigantomax? gently caress, I've been trying to figure out why my drednaw didn't transform when dynamaxed and it turns out I just had the wrong one. Too late now, it's almost level 40. I raised it from a baby and gave it a nickname and it's my friend. Same with my corviknight and centiskorch. I had seen nothing about this in the game, but maybe it was mentioned in an early tutorial I mashed through.

Guess I'll just ignore that mechanic. :shrug:

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
I’ve been working extra hard to avoid looking up tips and how things evolve, but holy poo poo, Kabu. This man is steamrolling me. All the hand holding at the start really lulled me into a false sense of security.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

AngryRobotsInc posted:

I will say, this is the first game a gym leader battle theme has made me HYPE AS HELL. I thought the last Pokemon theme from Black/White got me that way, but it's got nothing on the theme in these games. Especially when the chanting kicks in.

It's very cool when the crowd joins in, or when a Pokemon faints and the music calms down until you pick a new one.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Shneak posted:

So the fire gym handed my rear end back to me. I didn't expect 3 FIRE STONE EVOLVED Pokemon and a Gigantimax. :psyduck: Dubwool using Retaliate was a cinematic finish.

I also had my Dubwool clutch that out, she ended up flinch locking the leaders last mon with Headbutt spam. :kimchi:

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Eiba posted:

How are you people over leveling? Are you just feeding all the exp candies to your pokemon whenever you get them?

Just spending forever on each route, trying to see if I can catch everything that spawns there. I KO everything I don't catch. I over level in every pokemon game.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

It's very cool when the crowd joins in, or when a Pokemon faints and the music calms down until you pick a new one.

Yeah. I love when games have dynamic music like that, and this is a really well done version of that.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
it feels a bit poo poo that the game will fill your dynamax raids with npcs that die in one hit to every spread move the boss has, and there's no protection to stop lower level people from joining your 4-star ones and doing the same thing

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

tomdidiot posted:

You can powerlevel in the wild area by attacking the big pokemon wandering around. You can be fighting pokemon 3-4 levels above you and you can powerlevel really quickly that way. You do need to head eastwards and northwards into the areas slightly further away from the start zone, though. You can clear them pretty easily even if they outlevel you if you stack up STAB + a 4x damage move, and you know what you're challenging so you can swap pokemon around/teach TMs to optimise that.
I should clarify- I can see how if you go out of your way to do it, you can over level. Heck, I could just feed all the candies to my pokemon and gain a ton of levels.

I'm treating over leveling as the enemy, and I thought the people talking about it earlier were also complaining about it as a bad thing.

I think a more succinct version of my post would be that the level curve is way more balanced than people have implied. You can easily pump yourself up if you want to, sure. But you really don't need to do any sort of weird challenge mode to keep things close and exciting.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Catching still gives EXP, right? so the act of catching a bunch for rotating your team makes you have so much EXP you need to rotate?

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
Hey, question, does anyone know how to catch noibat?
It's one of the pokemon who run away from you when it sees you, but at the same time, it's also flying too far to reach. Do you get a pair of stilts or something later? What gives?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Blaziken386 posted:

Hey, question, does anyone know how to catch noibat?
It's one of the pokemon who run away from you when it sees you, but at the same time, it's also flying too far to reach. Do you get a pair of stilts or something later? What gives?

Whistle

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I felt like I was doing fine in terms of levels but now all my pokemon are 6 levels over every trainer. Its like they just stopped getting more levels to match my pace. Its not like I grinded and caught a ton of pokemon either.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Eiba posted:

How are you people over leveling? Are you just feeding all the exp candies to your pokemon whenever you get them?

I reserve exp candies for new captures.

I think what happened was that I spent a lot of time in raid battles and the wild area as soon as I got access to it. I'm going for the fifth badge now and my 5-10 level advantage has toned down to a 2-4 level gap now that I'm not grinding. Like, I'm around 41-43 and this wild Boldore in the ruins is level 40.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Just started playing; Hop's Wooloo managed to pull a crit out of its rear end in our first battle, and I was genuinely worried I'd have to burn a potion to make it through to the end, what with Sobble lacking a water move and all -- "Sobble learned water gun." Man, way to stage a comeback and get me hyped as hell.

Anyway, in retrospect it's a real shame that peanut fly ended up being fake; it would have fit right in with Galar's plethora of Extreme Weirdos.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Holy poo poo the new geodude is an animate lump of coal with wheels that uses Smokescreen and is named after coal rollers. I love it, 10/10 would have Reddit burn down again. Of course I named it Brodozer but it can't learn bulldoze. :v:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I wish Falinks wasn't pure fighting because I already have a pure fighting with Farfetch'D and I'm sorry awesome little army kirbies, but Farfetch'D wins out here

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
So I got a farfetchd with a leek
And I got the three critical hits on a trainer nearby
I love this little fucker

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Re: leveling curve: basically what they did was shift a lot more or the XP into wild pokemon and a lot less from trainers. Which means it's much easier to control how much XP you earn by avoiding wild encounters.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Calaveron posted:

So I got a farfetchd with a leek
And I got the three critical hits on a trainer nearby
I love this little fucker

I named mine d'Artagnan :3:

Also still offering Farfetch'd for a ditto. Once I get a ditto I can start breeding Dreepy and Solosis to trade! :v:

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
So with my new politically aware coal boi running around I'm guessing the next town is a rural mining community that was devastated by a previous government and one of the human villains is Margaret Catcher.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Annath posted:

Couldn’t go with anything but Dux

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Annath posted:

Also still offering Farfetch'd for a ditto. Once I get a ditto I can start breeding Dreepy and Solosis to trade! :v:

Named mine fiver cause he's a little lance using baby.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

the gym leaders all die before its worth dynamaxing anyway

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Super No Vacancy posted:

the gym leaders all die before its worth dynamaxing anyway

I have my game on Set so like they at least get 1 hit in before I bring in something to one shot it

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
I did that, it still ran away!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

SW-4220-5259-7911

Add me I'll be abck online in like 10-15 mins. IGN: Katherine.
Hey, thanks for this, but I just found another one and was able to catch it, so I don't need you to trade me anymore.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Calaveron posted:

Couldn’t go with anything but Dux

d'Artagnan works on two levels

Named mine fiver cause he's a little lance using baby.

:golfclap:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

I have my game on Set so like they at least get 1 hit in before I bring in something to one shot it

yeah set has made gym leaders a bit more intimidating, ive definitely lost mons. the ice gym actally took me down to 3!

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

So with my new politically aware coal boi running around I'm guessing the next town is a rural mining community that was devastated by a previous government and one of the human villains is Margaret Catcher.

Pokemon Sword and Shield: Margaret Thatch Them All

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

My first Farfetch'd with a Leek was female, so I named it Dame Judi. v:shobon:v

Sirbloody
Aug 21, 2005

Don't fuck with the Rabbi!
I feel like torturing myself tonight. Pangoro is one of my favorite so I am 151 battles in with Pancham to get a shiny.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Countblanc posted:

yeah set has made gym leaders a bit more intimidating, ive definitely lost mons. the ice gym actally took me down to 3!

Wait, do the different versions have different gyms? I never saw an ice gym.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva

Kyrosiris posted:

My first Farfetch'd with a Leek was female, so I named it Dame Judi. v:shobon:v

spoiler: your farfetch'd dies while on a mission with intelleon

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Clarste posted:

Wait, do the different versions have different gyms? I never saw an ice gym.

theres two version exclusive gyms

fighting : ghost
rock : ice

idk if the ghost/fighting leaders have any story relation but the rock leader is the ice leader's son

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Blaziken386 posted:

I did that, it still ran away!

I was in a similar situation with Butterfree. I had to whistle while crouched in the grass for it to get close enough.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

My farfetched has evolved into Ser Dux

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Countblanc posted:

theres two version exclusive gyms

fighting : ghost
rock : ice

idk if the ghost/fighting leaders have any story relation but the rock leader is the ice leader's son

That explains why the gym on the snow mountain was suddenly Rock type for no explicable reason.

And totally destroyed my Bug team.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
bede says trans rights

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

ungulateman posted:

bede says trans rights

Wait til you see the fairy gym!