Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Qubee posted:

Why is lamb so expensive? £13 for 1.3kg of shoulder at my local butcher, it hurts my bank balance. And most of it was fat and bone.
Since you're paying in pounds lamb (probably) means the meat of a sheep in its first year. If you're stewing, braising, making curry, or something like that you might try mutton instead. That's meat from older sheep. It tends to be less tender but more flavourful. Also less expensive.

Disclaimer: if you're buying from the US (for example) `lamb' is often applied to all sheep meat regardless of age, and if you're in India `mutton' is usually used for goat meat.

And all lamb and mutton tends to be expensive because raising sheep is enormously land intensive. Producing a kilo of lamb meat uses more land than producing a kilo of beef, for example. Affects the price, and if you're concerned about the environmental impact of your consumption habits it's something to keep in mind as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I've already asked the butchers to get me in some mutton, though I'm a bit disappointed with the lamb shoulder they gave me. 1.3kg total weight, but I'd say a good 300-400g was just fat, maybe more. The plus side of it was it has cemented the idea of wanting to hunt / butcher my own animal one day, prepping meat kinda gives you an odd sense of respect, whilst also making you feel very cavemanish. I'm making middle eastern curry and some fat on the meat is great, but having the whole fat / skin layer is too much, so I had to cut most of it off. For future reference, is there any point in me keeping lamb fat for other things?

And final question on lamb, is 50 minutes in the pressure cooker adequate for pretty hefty cubes of lamb shoulder? I've got tonnes of veg sitting on top of it (potatoes, carrots, butternut squash) so I don't know if that'll affect cooking time. Lots of contradictory times on the internet, or it's timed for a whole shoulder, or small cubes.

mystes
May 31, 2006

SubG posted:

Disclaimer: if you're buying from the US (for example) `lamb' is often applied to all sheep meat regardless of age, and if you're in India `mutton' is usually used for goat meat.
Huh, I had always assumed mutton just wasn't popular in the US but I guess this means I have probably bought it and just didn't know.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

This explains why lamb is generally thought of as a tough chewy meat in the US, because it could actually be mutton but you're cooking it as lamb and not getting good results.
Actual lamb cooked medium rare is beautiful and soft and delicious.
Unfortunately it's a rare treat for us now due to price and also we've cut down on red meat consumption a lot.
Surprisingly lamb mince is still a reasonable price in Aus so kofte are still on the menu.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum
I'm looking for good non-soup ideas to use vegetable stock?
I (obviously) rarely use stock and I hate soup, but I was given some veggie stock.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Scudworth posted:

I (obviously) rarely use stock and I hate soup, but I was given some veggie stock.
I'd just use it as Flavor anywhere you would use water or other stock-cook down after deglazing for a quick pan sauce, or cook grains in it for extra flavor, or both, as below.

I make stuffed peppers/tomatoes/wahtever vegetable for my vegan cousin every christams with vegetable stock. Make duxelles (with olive oil), add some grain cooked in veg stock(rice? barley? farro?) add more stock some some dry sherry/marsala and a bunch of parsley and stuff in vegetable. Bread crumbs on top and into the oven in a puddle of tomato sauce or veg stock.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

Scudworth posted:

do some really fancy rice, or risotto. I'll use it doing curries.

soooooooo I bought a 6lb duck to make for a petit thanksgiving this weekend. I couldn't just find duck breast around town, which was the simpler route I would've liked. The duck itself is going to be one of two main dishes for two couples, so I'm not quite sure how I want to go about this. I have roasted duck whole before but it was just okay.

I'm not too experienced with cutting up birds, but part of me wants to break the duck down and just sous vide or pan sear the breasts. BUT, then I'm a little overwhelmed by all the great trimmings and fat, storing it and making the best use of it. Any advice? I was very set on duck for some reason.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Oven roast the leg/thigh quarters, pan sear the breasts, use the rest for duck stock. Make a soup and make stuffing with duck stock as the liquid, I did that before and it was fuckin' great. Use the excess fat to roast potatoes.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Figured you lot deserved to see the outcome. Was really tender and the sauce was great too. Only downside with the IP is you need to add more water so you end up having to take the extra time to strain off the ingredients then simmer the sauce until it thickens up. Definitely going to either add veggies halfway through (they were too soft), or I'll cook it at high pressure for 35 minutes instead of 50 and see how it turns out. Was fun pulling out the shoulder bone and seeing meat fall off of it. I did a bit of post-cooking fat cleanup, it was much easier when the fat was soft.

Managed to save myself 300ml of the thin sauce before I simmered it, going to use it for stock to make my next batch of rice in.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Anybody know a good recipe for spicy marinara/red sauce for, like, a seafood pasta? Like shrimp or calamari linguini?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

I. M. Gei posted:

Anybody know a good recipe for spicy marinara/red sauce for, like, a seafood pasta? Like shrimp or calamari linguini?

The seafood is going to do most of the heavy lifting flavor-wise in a good seafood pasta. The tomato sauce itself is nice and simple

3Tbsp olive oil
1tsp red pepper flakes
2-4 cloves of garlic
1/2 cup dry white wine
28oz can of good tomatoes, crushed

Thinly slice the garlic and sauté in the oil until you can just barely start to see some color around the edges. Toss the pepper flakes in and give it another 15 seconds.

Pour in the white wine and simmer until it is reduced by half. Add the tomatoes and cook it all until it’s the right consistency. Most seafood gives off a pretty good amount of liquid, so you want your tomato sauce to be a little thicker than if you were just putting it in a normal dish.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

SubG posted:

Since you're paying in pounds lamb (probably) means the meat of a sheep in its first year. If you're stewing, braising, making curry, or something like that you might try mutton instead. That's meat from older sheep. It tends to be less tender but more flavourful. Also less expensive.

And all lamb and mutton tends to be expensive because raising sheep is enormously land intensive. Producing a kilo of lamb meat uses more land than producing a kilo of beef, for example. Affects the price, and if you're concerned about the environmental impact of your consumption habits it's something to keep in mind as well.

Strong disagree on your last point - land is not land is not land. Sheep and goats can be efficiently raised on marginal land which is not suitable for cattle. It is the ability of cattle to exist in a feed lot that gives them the efficiency advantage, but that's not necessarily an ecologically friendly efficiency. It makes more sense to use the soybeans we feed to cows to feed humans, and raise goats in deserts where we can't grow soybeans.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Strong disagree on your last point - land is not land is not land. Sheep and goats can be efficiently raised on marginal land which is not suitable for cattle. It is the ability of cattle to exist in a feed lot that gives them the efficiency advantage, but that's not necessarily an ecologically friendly efficiency. It makes more sense to use the soybeans we feed to cows to feed humans, and raise goats in deserts where we can't grow soybeans.

Friendly amendment - deserts and drylands are ecologically extremely sensitive, and important to the planet's heat balance. Goats are well adapted for those regions, but they can't be allowed to eat whatever they want to; they have to be managed carefully to be sustainable, and that is a challenge for goatkeepers everywhere.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
Pound of lamb is the most co2 producing commonly sold pound of meat

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

Grand Fromage posted:

Oven roast the leg/thigh quarters, pan sear the breasts, use the rest for duck stock. Make a soup and make stuffing with duck stock as the liquid, I did that before and it was fuckin' great. Use the excess fat to roast potatoes.

thank you, this is what I'm going with

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

bob dobbs is dead posted:

Pound of lamb is the most co2 producing commonly sold pound of meat

Long pig is the best, every single one you eat has a positive impact on global CO2 production

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

They can be, but if you go to your local supermarket and buy a pound of lamb meat it's unlikely that you're going to be getting meat from an animal that actually was raised that way. I mean you could make the same argument for pork---in principle pigs can be raised so that they are a net benefit to the environment, but it turns out that's not what the market optimises for and so most industrial pig farms are loving superfund sites, and that's what you're buying from the grocery store.

I mean yeah land use for grazing cattle and grazing sheep looks different but at scale none of them are exactly what you'd call environmentally friendly.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

SubG posted:

They can be, but if you go to your local supermarket and buy a pound of lamb meat it's unlikely that you're going to be getting meat from an animal that actually was raised that way. I mean you could make the same argument for pork---in principle pigs can be raised so that they are a net benefit to the environment, but it turns out that's not what the market optimises for and so most industrial pig farms are loving superfund sites, and that's what you're buying from the grocery store.

I mean yeah land use for grazing cattle and grazing sheep looks different but at scale none of them are exactly what you'd call environmentally friendly.

True enough. And that's an important point about industrial pork that really should be more publicized.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Have any of y’all ever tried to ship a fully-cooked turkey cross country?

I’m going to a family gathering for Thanksgiving and they want me to bring a turkey, but I’ll probably have to cook it at home since the logistics of cooking it there are kinda messy, and I’m trying to figure out the best way to pack it in terms of preserving taste.

Doom Rooster posted:

The seafood is going to do most of the heavy lifting flavor-wise in a good seafood pasta. The tomato sauce itself is nice and simple

3Tbsp olive oil
1tsp red pepper flakes
2-4 cloves of garlic
1/2 cup dry white wine
28oz can of good tomatoes, crushed

Thinly slice the garlic and sauté in the oil until you can just barely start to see some color around the edges. Toss the pepper flakes in and give it another 15 seconds.

Pour in the white wine and simmer until it is reduced by half. Add the tomatoes and cook it all until it’s the right consistency. Most seafood gives off a pretty good amount of liquid, so you want your tomato sauce to be a little thicker than if you were just putting it in a normal dish.

Made this tonight with some homemade pasta and it owned. Thank you!

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqABijWMlxA

mystes
May 31, 2006

I. M. Gei posted:

I’m going to a family gathering for Thanksgiving and they want me to bring a turkey, but I’ll probably have to cook it at home since the logistics of cooking it there are kinda messy, and I’m trying to figure out the best way to pack it in terms of preserving taste.
I think you would have to freeze it, pack it in an insulated container with ice or better yet dry ice, and ideally overnight it, at which point you might be better off working out some way to cook it there.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
Spatchcock sous vide hold with battery on carry-on apparently worked with a friend of a friend

Carry-on cuz he had his own plane. Dunno how it would work with nontrivial security

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I mean I’m gonna have to reheat it there, definitely. I’m just wondering what’s the best way to pack it for maximum flavor preservation.

Also I’m not sure if this helps, but it’s gonna be packaged for a minimum of two days and probably no longer than a week, depending on whether I ship it UPS/FedEx (do they even mail food packages?) or shove it in my suitcase and take it with me on the plane.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

bob dobbs is dead posted:

Spatchcock sous vide hold with battery on carry-on apparently worked with a friend of a friend

Carry-on cuz he had his own plane. Dunno how it would work with nontrivial security

lmfao at the idea of bringing a big tank of liquid with wires and gizmos sticking into it through TSA security theatre

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

I. M. Gei posted:

I mean I’m gonna have to reheat it there, definitely. I’m just wondering what’s the best way to pack it for maximum flavor preservation.

Also I’m not sure if this helps, but it’s gonna be packaged for a minimum of two days and probably no longer than a week, depending on whether I ship it UPS/FedEx (do they even mail food packages?) or shove it in my suitcase and take it with me on the plane.

Carry-on if you can, it reduces randomness by a whole fuckin lot

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I would vacuum seal it, carry it on, then reheat it in a water bath.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
The smoking thread was joking with you. Do not send a turkey through the mail for a week.

Also don't try to use an unseen, untried mystery garbage smoker for the Thanksgiving centerpiece.

You're gonna have to find a third path on this one.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I mean at that stage, are you not better off getting a cheapo airbnb? Depends on where you're going to, but you might be able to find a really cheap place for one night and just go straight there from the airport, cook your stuff, then head to the family and only worry about preserving the food for ~1 hour. Gets rid of all the headache of "Will TSA confiscate my turkey? Can I somehow get a battery-operated sous vide machine through customs? Is dry ice sealed in a container allowed on airplanes or is it classed as explosive ordinance? Oops, I went through all this effort and my turkey went rancid..."

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
He wants to smoke it specifically. Also, he has no money and minimal say-so in anything.

It's not a deliberate setup, but it's obviously a no-win situation with those parameters.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
If I really had to do something like that, I would pack or ship my Anova and a couple 2 gallon Ziplocs, and order a big Rubbermaid-ish thing off Amazon and ship it directly to where I am going. Then buy a turkey at my destination, portion it into a boneless breast and leg quarters, cook sous vide and muscle my way into the oven or range rotation for final browning.

Or just buy a precooked one locally from wherever. Seriously, who asks the person traveling from halfway across the country to bring the Thanksgiving turkey but won't make space in the kitchen? :wtc:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

I. M. Gei posted:

Made this tonight with some homemade pasta and it owned. Thank you!

What’s the destination city

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Steve Yun posted:

Flavortown.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Anne Whateley posted:

He wants to smoke it specifically. Also, he has no money and minimal say-so in anything.

It's not a deliberate setup, but it's obviously a no-win situation with those parameters.

Yeah, this. The whole trip is pretty much my dad’s thing, and he’s the one making all the travel arrangements.

This is gonna be our first Thanksgiving since my mom died, so we’re spending it with a bunch of my aunts/uncles and cousins.

Steve Yun posted:

Maryland, near DC.

I don’t really want to share any more than that, if that’s okay.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
You guys don’t have Lucille’s but it looks like you got a few other places that will do whole smoked turkey for pickup on Thanksgiving if you arrange ahead of time:

https://www.tripsavvy.com/thanksgiving-turkey-to-go-1040365

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
I.M.Gei has been learning how to smoke for a little while now, and he's been doing some great stuff. His dad's been bragging on him to the family and the family in Maryland asked him to smoke a turkey, which is is cool as hell. The problem is that the family in Maryland got a smoker from a friend, and it was the cheapest, shittiest smoker available more than 20 years ago, and has been sitting in a box since, so it isn't just super thin and lovely, it's not even seasoned.

All this makes for a really small chance of getting a great, brag-worthy result so he's trying to find the best way to smoke at home and then bring it with him to Maryland. I'm just not sure that 2 day old, reheated turkey is ever going to be impressive, no matter how great it was when it was first cooked.

Doom Rooster fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Nov 17, 2019

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Yeah, that sucks and yeah it’s not gonna happen.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I'd guess the lovely smoker done fresh would be better than a traveling bird

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

BrianBoitano posted:

I'd guess the lovely smoker done fresh would be better than a traveling bird

Same.

I.M.Gei, my personal take is that you try to fight the odds with the "new" lovely smoker, while setting expectations politely with everyone involved. With low expectations, if it's just kinda okay, you're still fine, but if you manage to make it great, you're a fuckin' pro.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Smoke some fish to bring as an example of your smoking prowess (and to turn some into fish dip) to hedge your bets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
The trouble is that with smoking, timing can be a little unpredictable even under good conditions. With an unseen, untried mystery garbage smoker, who has a clue. It could easily end up that all the food is ready and everyone is sitting around the table, and he has to go "just one hour left!" Or the other way around where the turkey is done two hours before anything else.