Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

FoolyCharged posted:

I cant think of many other stories with a septuple agent or whatever ocelot wound up being. I choose to believe that in the end, even he didn't know who he was really working for.

He literally hypnotizes himself to believe someone he knows is completely false to go undercover so you're not far off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Lodin posted:

For fucks sake! I fired up the new Terminator game and it doesn't have inverted mouse. Looked around and nobody can seem to find a way to edit it in with a ini file or anything. How the gently caress do you make an FPS in 2019 and forget to add that option?
Oh and it also doesn't register either of my gamepads so that's also not an option.
Gonna wait a couple of days and if it's not fixed I'll get a refund. It's too bad because it's supposed to be decent.

I'm kind of shocked anyone actually uses inverted controls honestly, especially with a mouse. Do most games really still have a setting for it?

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

PinheadSlim posted:

I'm kind of shocked anyone actually uses inverted controls honestly, especially with a mouse. Do most games really still have a setting for it?

inverted controls only make sense in flight simulators and I have never figured out why or how the gently caress people insist on using an inverted mouse in FPS

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
I use inverted look with a stick but not a mouse. In my mind it's like my thumb is on the back of the character's head.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I know it's not really indicative of much, but it cracks me up that Conan O'Brien went to visit the studio and Kojima was literally like "gently caress it, we've got the body-scanner still set up, wanna be in the game?"

e: also while the Monster Energy thing is pretty goofy, it pales in comparison to the fact that when you take a poo poo in-game, the outside of the toilet stall displays a promo for Norman Reedus' motorcycle TV show

Important detail: It displays a promo for Norman Reedus' motorcycle TV show in order to make a fart joke. It doesn't show up during any other activity than taking a dump.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Goty

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

None of the reviews I read go into this game mechanic. Is it a quick time event? Is there a dedicated poo poo button? Do you have to maintain your balance otherwise you fall backwards and roll around in your own poo poo? Do you have to regularly poo poo as a survival mechanism like eating or sleeping?

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

you have to balance your chopsticks to eat game-kojima's literal poo poo one turd at a time as he monologues about the pain of being a misunderstood artist

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

i think i reflexively hate most kojima games now not because they are bad but because it means nobody will talk about anything but kojima in these threads for months at a time

unpopular opinion: while i'm not like champing at the bit to play it or anything if the reason there are fewer pokemon in sword and shield is truly to make each monster actually have an appreciable niche instead of four or five different characters for any given type combination then that's a cool design decision that was frankly long overdue

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

935 posted:

None of the reviews I read go into this game mechanic. Is it a quick time event? Is there a dedicated poo poo button? Do you have to maintain your balance otherwise you fall backwards and roll around in your own poo poo? Do you have to regularly poo poo as a survival mechanism like eating or sleeping?

Nah you just hit a button and take a dump in your shower. Totally normal.

Savage For The Winjun
Jun 27, 2008

935 posted:

Triangle shower. Circle pee. X is poo poo. Otacon makes grenades out of your bodily fluids and feces.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

food court bailiff posted:

unpopular opinion: while i'm not like champing at the bit to play it or anything if the reason there are fewer pokemon in sword and shield is truly to make each monster actually have an appreciable niche instead of four or five different characters for any given type combination then that's a cool design decision that was frankly long overdue
My unpopular pokeman opinion as someone who played the poo poo out of Blue as a kid and then kept getting 20-odd hours into the later ones before stopping completely is that I wish they'd wipe the slate clean, make it so you can only use brand new ones in the main game and only had access to the others in the postgame. Which I think is what Black/White did but I never played those lol.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

The only Pokemon game I've ever played is Pokemon Go and I feel like that's enough

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

food court bailiff posted:

i think i reflexively hate most kojima games now not because they are bad but because it means nobody will talk about anything but kojima in these threads for months at a time
I’m fine with Jesus but his followers can kinda quiet down some.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

MrQwerty posted:

inverted controls only make sense in flight simulators and I have never figured out why or how the gently caress people insist on using an inverted mouse in FPS

Must be related to my m+kb Stockholm syndrome, so technically it’s a disability, you insensitive clod

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Mordja posted:

My unpopular pokeman opinion as someone who played the poo poo out of Blue as a kid and then kept getting 20-odd hours into the later ones before stopping completely is that I wish they'd wipe the slate clean, make it so you can only use brand new ones in the main game and only had access to the others in the postgame. Which I think is what Black/White did but I never played those lol.

i'm pretty sure this is how its always been done. i thought you needed gym badges to control the more advanced pokemon, so you can't just trade over your old team and steam roll the new game. but i donno i stopped playing after the gold version.

250 pokemon should be enough for anyone

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Adding around 100 new Pokemon per release was the real fuckup. I kind of understand it for Gold/Silver because they weren't sure how long Pokemon would last, but after that they should have seen this coming.

And a lot of the Pokemon they were adding weren't even worth it anyways, how many starter area normal type bird/rodent Pokemon do we need? How many normal-flying type Pokemon are there alone? More than a dozen?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Rutibex posted:

i'm pretty sure this is how its always been done. i thought you needed gym badges to control the more advanced pokemon, so you can't just trade over your old team and steam roll the new game. but i donno i stopped playing after the gold version.

250 pokemon should be enough for anyone

I think they mean you don’t see any of the old species until postgame

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

As a compliment?

Are you saying that you have to hate insane people?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Mordja posted:

yeah black and white did it that way and it was honestly a really fresh game, kind of a TFA situation (except good) where they used the last twenty years to essentially remake red and blue in terms of how it felt to go through.

i totally understand why they’re popular but major generational games in the Pokémon franchise have been dismally bad, bad enough to kill anything that didn’t have the momentum that red/blue and gold/silver built up. ruby and sapphire were particularly dire, but diamond and pearl after that were also incredibly bad on basically every level except graphics and people put up with it because of the new wifi functionality

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
i really liked dppt :shobon:

hell i'll even buy the remake... if they dont cut all the goddamn pokemon this time

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
they should give up on making their own new pokemon and just release a pokemon game with a built in randomizer

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

they could make it like spore

i choose you penischu

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

i don’t like pikachu as a mascot but i do like that it’s voice actor is bon bonne from mega man legends

i kind of wonder if it’s in her contract to only shout repetitive non-words

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Thread's slow.

Donkey Kong Country is a really bad game.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Shibawanko posted:

Thread's slow.

agreed. it is a mediocre platformer that was only popular because of its gimmick graphics. its not even in the top ten best SNES platformers

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

DKC is remembered well because it had good graphics and the series in general is remembered well cause DKCR returns actually made a good game out of it.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

The whole N64 experience was about fighting the tide of bizarre design decisions to play the game

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

I think platformers in general are just extremely boring and outdated, and there's a reason they're mostly indie games now. I've just never got much entertainment out of "Get from point A to point B while collecting a bunch of pointless poo poo along the way!"

Donkey Kong, Crash bandicoot, Banjo Kazooie, Jak & Daxter, Ratchet & Clank, and games like them just don't do anything for me.

I like some Mario games though so idk

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

i just SASO’d a mission I had never played before, on professional, and only had to save scum once at the end because I garrote’d the target slightly off center from their back so they gasped

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

PinheadSlim posted:

I think platformers in general are just extremely boring and outdated, and there's a reason they're mostly indie games now. I've just never got much entertainment out of "Get from point A to point B while collecting a bunch of pointless poo poo along the way!"

Donkey Kong, Crash bandicoot, Banjo Kazooie, Jak & Daxter, Ratchet & Clank, and games like them just don't do anything for me.

I like some Mario games though so idk
Gameplay based on precision landing is fun, which is why Mario is enjoyable. Those other ones are all big sprite messy bullshit platformers where you're not even sure what you're landing on and how accurately. The small sprites in Mario also let you see more of your environment relatively, which allows for more open environments and more planning.

Collecting things is fundamentally boring, the worst thing about DKC are the collectathon rooms where you fly around collecting golden ostriches and poo poo.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
crosspost

Mordja posted:

I'm playing through Homeworld Remastered, beat HW1 last night, about five missions deep into HW2. Unpopular opinion: so far, Homeworld 2 has the superior campaign. To play, I mean, I fully understand why people aren't down with the mysticism and prophecy bullshit, and it doesn't have a hook as compelling as the first game's exiles' return. But Homeworld's mission design was really pretty simplistic and some levels could be completed in under ten minutes. Like, a later one is just "swat some ships away from the Bentusi, mission complete." Meanwhile, HW2's had me protecting inbound crew ships and taking down border forts. I've also held that HW2's gameplay is also better, but that's not a new thought for me.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

poverty goat posted:

The whole N64 experience was about fighting the tide of bizarre design decisions to play the game

the whole n64 experience was about making sure you didn't play too much in one sitting otherwise it would lock up due to an unknown memory overflow error

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Mordja posted:

crosspost

Did anyone tell this idiot that HW remastered breaks half the mechanics in the HW1, since it's actually the HW2 engine with reskinned units?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Serephina posted:

Did anyone tell this idiot that HW remastered breaks half the mechanics in the HW1, since it's actually the HW2 engine with reskinned units?
I was playing the beta patch + the player patch mod with formations (mostly) fixed and ballistics back in. My "problem" with HW was all to do with the simplicity of its mission design, which is the same regardless what engine it's in.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Fair enough.

In a similar vein, DOOM's got really simple missions, weapons that I've seen done better elsewhere, and quite bad monster AI. 1/10 worst game ever made why do people keep talking about it?

Homeworld was wildly popular when it came out, HW2 was poo-poo'd when it came out (and still is by fans) since it was "One good idea in, and also 2-3 bad ones to boot".

Half the fun of HW1 was the outer space experience, which is kinda ruined in the remaster with the derping units etc.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Shibawanko posted:

Gameplay based on precision landing is fun, which is why Mario is enjoyable. Those other ones are all big sprite messy bullshit platformers where you're not even sure what you're landing on and how accurately. The small sprites in Mario also let you see more of your environment relatively, which allows for more open environments and more planning.

Collecting things is fundamentally boring, the worst thing about DKC are the collectathon rooms where you fly around collecting golden ostriches and poo poo.

Spyro made some really underrated decisions, like the minimalistic HUD and focus on horizontal movement that suits a quadruped protagonist. It's basically a better 3D Sonic game than any actual 3D Sonic game.

Savage For The Winjun
Jun 27, 2008

Shibawanko posted:

Thread's slow.

actually if you take a moment to think about it, DKC is actually the best game on SNES and one of the only SNES games that is still playable today.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Savage For The Winjun posted:

actually if you take a moment to think about it, DKC is actually the best game on SNES and one of the only SNES games that is still playable today.

I thought it sucked when it was new, doubt that feeling has changed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Spyro made some really underrated decisions, like the minimalistic HUD and focus on horizontal movement that suits a quadruped protagonist. It's basically a better 3D Sonic game than any actual 3D Sonic game.

Oh poo poo I forgot, despite never owning Spyro I always had fun when I played it at a friends house.

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I thought it sucked when it was new, doubt that feeling has changed.

Me too, in fact Donkey Kong is the very game that made me realize I just don't like most platformers.