Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Hadlock posted:

Dell is making great quality laptops these days, the XPS and Latitude 7xxx series in particular. Not sure about HP but I would only look at their business class laptops.

Valid combo gaming + work laptops would include Dell XPS 15, Lenovo X1 Extreme. No spinning rims, all business, but also have a 1050 or 1060(?) in them which is plenty enough to play games and weak VR. My XPS 15 is my "gaming laptop".

Thinkpads are technically lenovo, but different design/business/warranty group. Regular Lenovo laptops are garbage

The problem with the XPS 15 as far as gaming goes is that it overheats and throttles pretty hard in gaming workloads.

There are plenty of gaming laptops with restrained designs these days, something like a MAG-15 would work fine for their needs, though you aren't getting as thin and light as something like an XPS 15/13 with the sort of cooling a gaming laptop needs. Another decent option would be the Aero 15, there have been some nice sales on it in the past few weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Tell me a game you want to benchmark for on a car model XPS 15 and I'll try to run it later

As far as I know they fixed most of the thermal throttling issues

E: and not that I recommended this as a purchase decision but I was able to tune the processor myself as well as the GPU so that they didn't throttle. But yes it's not a gaming machine for sure. But it'll definitely game well.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Statutory Ape posted:

Tell me a game you want to benchmark for on a car model XPS 15 and I'll try to run it later

As far as I know they fixed most of the thermal throttling issues

E: and not that I recommended this as a purchase decision but I was able to tune the processor myself as well as the GPU so that they didn't throttle. But yes it's not a gaming machine for sure. But it'll definitely game well.

Well, I was going off of reviews written back when it came out, so if the thermal issues have been fixed I stand corrected. However I don't think that would necessarily show up in benchmarks since most benchmarks don't run long enough to heat soak the cooling system and trigger throttling in the first place. Anyway, I still feel that a restrained gaming laptop like the MAG-15 or Aero 15 is probably a better, or at least more economical solution than two separate laptops.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Rock My Socks! posted:

https://www.costco.com/hp-14%22-laptop---10th-gen-intel-core-i3---1080p.product.100511171.html

Got this today, pretty good deal I think? The ad indicates that it has an i3-1005G1 but apparently Intel is having supply chain issues with the new i3’s so they actually threw in an i5-1035G4.

Thanks for posting this! I've been eying black Friday deals to replace my 10-year-old laptop, but I laptops so infrequently that it was tough to justify $600+ for a smaller laptop capable of running the analysis tools I use. I ordered online and received a 1035G4 model, so the free cpu upgrade doesn't seem to be store-only.

The construction and keyboard are a bit flimsy, but the FHD screen is nice a crisp with a decently even backlight. Neither the RAM nor SSD are soldered and it supports NVMe boot the two RAM slots properly run in dual-channel mode! Opening it is a bit of a pain in the rear end, though, and require a nylon pry tool to avoid damaging the frame. The fan can be loud under full load, but most of the time it's pretty quiet.

Just a warning - it comes with Windows in S-mode (i.e. only runs Windows Store apps) ***which you'll want to deactivate before you upgrade the SSD***. If you immediately pop it open like I did, any Windows version you install will also be locked to S-mode until you activate it. Normally that wouldn't be too much of a problem, but the current Windows installer doesn't have compatible wifi (or touchpad) drivers and swapping out the ssd and ram was apparently enough to prevent Home from reactivating from the embedded key, making it impossible to switch out of S-mode until I opened it up and put the original drive back in.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Nov 17, 2019

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

The problem with the XPS 15 as far as gaming goes is that it overheats and throttles pretty hard in gaming workloads.

There are plenty of gaming laptops with restrained designs these days, something like a MAG-15 would work fine for their needs, though you aren't getting as thin and light as something like an XPS 15/13 with the sort of cooling a gaming laptop needs. Another decent option would be the Aero 15, there have been some nice sales on it in the past few weeks.

I'm streaming VR games to my Quest with no issue on my XPS 15, in my opinion that is a pretty high intensity application for the laptop; if there is throttling problems, I have not experienced them, and thus I would not expect others to have thermal throttling problems either.

The XPS 15 shipped back in June of last year with some pretty insane default settings but those have been fixed in the last ~18 months

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Duck and Cover posted:

I get that but I also remember using cigarette to ac to power my laptop on car trips. Car trips that weren't 5 hours. My point wasn't that you'd need a power bank often, so much that you'd rarely even need a power bank if ever. The rare times you would need it you'd probably know ahead of time so it's really just an inconvenience those times you need it. They make them with pass through charging so keeping it charged shouldn't be too difficult. They also make ones that are chargers like https://www.amazon.com/Charger-Anker-Delivery-PowerPort-Foldable/dp/B07GWQ2GJC?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1&psc=1 although 30w/18w might not cut it.

It reminds me of people wanting really high range on their electric cars for trips they may possibly take rarely in the future. Sure you want some buffer for battery degradation, and cold weather but in the end people simply think they need more then they really do.

Oh yeah I also assume any stated battery life from a company is bullshit except for Apple. Apple seems pretty on the money while everyone else seems to cheat/lie.

Even knowing ahead of time that I'd need a power bank, I'm just annoyed that I'll have to make sure it's plugged in after use or there's a chance that I'll forget to have it charged for the next time; I've already run into that problem a couple times with my bluetooth headset where if I don't remember to plug it in early I might run out of charge during a trip. A combination charging brick/power bank would probably neatly sort things but the tech isn't quite there yet with most laptops falling back to lowest common denominator charging profiles, perhaps in a couple more generations it'll be good. Right now all those devices seem targeted towards phones.

I don't think it's quite fair to compare electric car range and laptop battery life, because a dead laptop battery is mostly an inconvenience and you can plug in most anywhere and use it while charging, whereas a dead car is leaving you stranded while you call for assistance or spend significant time waiting on whatever charging station you can find.

e: also now that I'm looking at your linked charger, you're probably thinking of something else because that one is not a power bank at all, just a wall wart charging brick.

isndl fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Nov 17, 2019

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

isndl posted:

Even knowing ahead of time that I'd need a power bank, I'm just annoyed that I'll have to make sure it's plugged in after use or there's a chance that I'll forget to have it charged for the next time; I've already run into that problem a couple times with my bluetooth headset where if I don't remember to plug it in early I might run out of charge during a trip. A combination charging brick/power bank would probably neatly sort things but the tech isn't quite there yet with most laptops falling back to lowest common denominator charging profiles, perhaps in a couple more generations it'll be good. Right now all those devices seem targeted towards phones.

I don't think it's quite fair to compare electric car range and laptop battery life, because a dead laptop battery is mostly an inconvenience and you can plug in most anywhere and use it while charging, whereas a dead car is leaving you stranded while you call for assistance or spend significant time waiting on whatever charging station you can find.

e: also now that I'm looking at your linked charger, you're probably thinking of something else because that one is not a power bank at all, just a wall wart charging brick.

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-PowerC...ps%2C155&sr=8-3 or if your dumb with money that same thing for much more https://www.apple.com/shop/product/HMQD2ZM/A/anker-powercore-fusion-power-delivery-battery-and-charger

Was what I was thinking it's only 5000mah though. I thought it was more.

There's multiple 100w ubc pass through power banks. By multiple I mean like 4-5 not exactly super common but they do exist. You still need a power charger for them and they're typically around $150-200.

Yep exactly like EV cars. People get so wrapped up in creating unlikely hypotheticals. Well it's less insane than EV hypotheticals. You can have a dead car with gas too. Seriously though the requirements people put on EV cars is nuts. Oh yeah 200 miles isn't enough because once a year I might take a trip that's 300 miles uphill in the snow and I don't want to stop to recharge.

Sure maybe for you a high capacity laptop is good but for most people? Well it doesn't hurt but it's certainly not all that important. I myself am probably going to buy a Razer Blade Stealth 4k and get one of the pass through powerbanks just in case but I know I'll probably never even need it. Maybe I won't bother.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Nov 17, 2019

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

That Amazon anker link isn't going to do jack for a notebook. It's USBA only. That's why the one on the apple store is more expensive.

Even still, the one on the apple store is only 30w output which can be hit or miss with many Windows notebooks.

It also only does 30w output when connected to AC outlet. It's only 15w when its running off battery which isn't going to charge a notebook.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Nov 17, 2019

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

People who are talking about acceptably large laptop batteries seem to have minimal understanding of how average people treat equipment imo.

Like yeah they don't need 12 hours of usage....if they ever charged their poo poo. Or had a charger.

The 12h of battery isn't bc they need continuous use, it's bc they need a parachute

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

bull3964 posted:

That Amazon anker link isn't going to do jack for a notebook. It's USBA only. That's why the one on the apple store is more expensive.

Even still, the one on the apple store is only 30w output which can be hit or miss with many Windows notebooks.

It also only does 30w output when connected to AC outlet. It's only 15w when its running off battery which isn't going to charge a notebook.

I didn't pay attention however it wasn't really a good solution anyway at 5000mah or even at 10000 mah like this one https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1484764-REG/anker_a1623011_powercore_fusion_10000mm2_in_1_hybrid.html isn't all that much. Really the solution is one of the 100w (or maybe one of the 60w depending) power banks with pass through but I knew the response to that is "I don't want usb c cords and a charger for the power bank and power bank that's too much" had I suggested just that. Again though this doesn't really matter most of the people being so concerned over battery life can just plug it into an outlet.

Statutory Ape posted:

People who are talking about acceptably large laptop batteries seem to have minimal understanding of how average people treat equipment imo.

Like yeah they don't need 12 hours of usage....if they ever charged their poo poo. Or had a charger.

The 12h of battery isn't bc they need continuous use, it's bc they need a parachute

A 12h battery is an insane buffer but I suppose this could be right.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Nov 17, 2019

isndl
May 2, 2012

Duck and Cover posted:

I didn't pay attention however it wasn't really a good solution anyway at 5000mah or even at 10000 mah like this one https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1484764-REG/anker_a1623011_powercore_fusion_10000mm2_in_1_hybrid.html isn't all that much. Really the solution is one of the 100w (or maybe one of the 60w depending) power banks with pass through but I knew the response to that is "I don't want usb c cords and a charger for the power bank and power bank that's too much" had I suggested just that. Again though this doesn't really matter most of the people being so concerned over battery life can just plug it into an outlet.

A 12h battery is an insane buffer but I suppose this could be right.

My laptop right now uses USB-C for charging so a combined power bank/charger would be great and I would seriously consider buying one. My laptop also uses a 130w charging brick and the one you linked is 15w, so it's also not particularly feasible with current generation products unless I'm content with trickle charging while not in use. I don't think I've seen any power bank do 100w PD on battery, only on pass-through (which means you still have to lug around the original charging brick).

Like I said earlier it could work with a couple generations of iteration, especially as laptop manufacturers are striving to bring their power consumption down, but the current crop of combined power banks are intended for phones and not laptops.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I actually looked into power banks for my gaming laptop(230w brick), and there are like 3 of them. The issue is that they are huge, heavy and fairly expensive, the best option was one with a 49,990mAh battery and 250w output that weighed around 6 pounds, cost ~$400 and was marketed as quiet and compact alternative to portable gas powered generators for short term use.

AgentCow007
May 20, 2004
TITLE TEXT
Lots of XPS users here... Anyone have issues lagging out while typing? My 9570 isn't missing any keystrokes, it's just like the screen stops updating for a few seconds. I tried messing with Panel Self Refresh in the Intel graphics control panel but that didn't seem to help, nor has the latest BIOS. Any other suggestions?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Duck and Cover posted:

I didn't pay attention however it wasn't really a good solution anyway at 5000mah or even at 10000 mah like this one https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1484764-REG/anker_a1623011_powercore_fusion_10000mm2_in_1_hybrid.html isn't all that much.

That one also isn't going to work since it only outputs 15w.

Getting a USB-C source to power a notebook means you usually have to find something that uses the 20v USB-PD specification and a 15w brick is very unlikely to have one. Even if it has 20v output, it's so not guaranteed that a notebook will accept it has a power source if it doesn't output enough power.

30w USB-C source can have 20v@1.5A, but some computers refuse to charge on that because it's not enough total power. The 60w supplies have a 20v@3A spec which is usually the lower threshold for charging.

For example, look at the Razer Stealth's USB-C power supply. It's a 65w adapter defined as 20v@3.25A. Now, the stealth can accept lower amperage, but it must be 20v, pretty much all notebooks require 20v and that's exceedingly rare to find on a power bank.

I do actually have a powerbank that has 20v@1.5a output. My XPS15 refuses to see its there when plugged in. My Chromebook Pixel will use it, but it warns of it slow charging. My work T480 sees it as an AC source, but at best all it does is stem loss a little.

To my knowledge, there are no inline battery/power supply packs that will output 30w (with a 20v spec) from battery and that's simply due to size and battery chemistry.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Nov 17, 2019

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

AgentCow007 posted:

Lots of XPS users here... Anyone have issues lagging out while typing? My 9570 isn't missing any keystrokes, it's just like the screen stops updating for a few seconds. I tried messing with Panel Self Refresh in the Intel graphics control panel but that didn't seem to help, nor has the latest BIOS. Any other suggestions?

Any correlation to whether you're plugged in or not? Iirc Dell has had some weird issues w that and battery in the past?

External kb is same issue or?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Well, I was going off of reviews written back when it came out, so if the thermal issues have been fixed I stand corrected. However I don't think that would necessarily show up in benchmarks since most benchmarks don't run long enough to heat soak the cooling system and trigger throttling in the first place. Anyway, I still feel that a restrained gaming laptop like the MAG-15 or Aero 15 is probably a better, or at least more economical solution than two separate laptops.

Several of the review sites specifically ran looped benchmarks explicitly to expose throttling on continuous runs. The results were mostly that some throttling exists (as it does in basically all thin-and-light laptops), but they're much less than previous versions. That said, 10 minutes working a CPU undervolt was still getting noticeable gains, so it's still recommended. The X1E also got a BIOS update that helped reduce throttling a little, though I am still annoyed that the "max" GPU fan profile is way too quiet, and presumably leaving performance on the table.

You're right that it'd be cheaper than two laptops, but the thing is the MAG-15/Aero-15 vs the XPS15/X1E are really shooting for two entirely different markets. The MAG-15/Aero-15 tried to shove the highest performance parts they could into a reasonable frame, and you get about what you'd expect: decent performance with ok battery life and ok build quality, with support that you're taking a big chance on should you ever actually need it.

The XPS15/X1E are business-class laptops first, that can also do some gaming. Topping out with a 1650 means they'll never be as powerful, but they're also thinner, lighter (well, the X1E anyhow), get better battery life, and have the best support available in the industry.

The guy who wants a portable gaming system buys the MAG-15.
The guy who wants a portable gaming system with better battery life buys the Aero-15.
The guy who wants a laptop they can take to work and not get laughed at, but also wants to play games at moderate settings and needs an all-day battery, exceptional durability, or the guarantee they can get parts quickly, buys the XPS15/X1E.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The MAG-15 and Aero-15 should get similar battery life. They are configured with the same internals and have the same sized battery.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.â€Â
I'm a little bit of a luddite and probably missing the point, but how the hell are people paying $650+ on a Chromebook these days? I thought the whole appeal of it was, due to the super light OS, you could get a web browser and word processing (what most regular people buy a computer for) for under $300. If you're spending that much, why not get something with a real CPU and windows? Or just buy a regular laptop and put whatever Linux you want on it? Getting something that doesn't have an explicit end of life date is nice too.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

DildenAnders posted:

I'm a little bit of a luddite and probably missing the point, but how the hell are people paying $650+ on a Chromebook these days? I thought the whole appeal of it was, due to the super light OS, you could get a web browser and word processing (what most regular people buy a computer for) for under $300. If you're spending that much, why not get something with a real CPU and windows? Or just buy a regular laptop and put whatever Linux you want on it? Getting something that doesn't have an explicit end of life date is nice too.

Most people aren't paying $650+ for a Chromebook. Most people are, indeed, buying Chromebooks at the lower end of the spectrum, closer to that $300 price point.

On the higher end, though, I think you simply miss what they're designed to be: solid, premium-quality internet-facing laptops. If you've ever used one of the Pixels, you'd know what I mean. Brushed aluminum, gorgeous screen, solid battery life, and performance that is surprisingly good--many of them do, in fact, have "real CPUs" in them, after all. They're not for everyone, but they never were designed to be.

The thing is that if you wanted the same premium-style Windows laptop, you'd be looking at a much more expensive laptop (initial releases of the Pixel excluded--it got panned for its price for a reason). This thread very rarely recommends any Windows laptop under about $500 because they're almost all utter trash, so the premium Chromebook give a reasonable option for the person who wants to do Word and web browsing on good quality laptop that isn't going to fall apart the first time it slide off the table, but doesn't want/need a $1,000+ piece of hardware. There's a fair market for it, honestly.

The explicit end-date is kinda obnoxious, but now that they're looking like they'll support most devices for 5-7 years, honestly I'm fine with it. How many 7+ year old laptops are worth using? Hell, how many 7+ year old laptops are still working? Most laptop manufacturers stop supporting their systems well before that, unless you get a business-class laptop, which you're not getting for <$650. Seems like a pretty narrow category of people who it would actually impact.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I paid a lot for my Pixelbook, but that's because I wanted a premium device and nothing else came close at the time. The Pixelbook remains my most satisfying hardware purchase and even 2+ years of ownership has done nothing to dull that.

Yeah, it's ChomeOS, so what? Nothing I do on a daily basis besides games actually needs a Windows notebook and ChromeOS has the advantage of actually running a lot of the Android apps I use on a daily basis. Most of my windows devices are just windows to run Chrome with the occasional game.

The pixelbook is just a joy to use. The keyboard is fantastic, it lasts long on battery and charges fast, it sleeps and wakes properly (and sips battery while it is sleeping), updates are handled transparently, performance is great, and it's fanless (so, silent). It's my constant couch companion because it's so friction free for everyday use.

Proper design and hardware costs money, no matter what the OS is. ChromeOS is pretty much perfect for a huge swath of computing needs.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
I have what's maybe a dumb question for you all: I am laptop shopping and the only really specific thing I'm looking for is wide keyboard with a number pad. I realize I can just hook up a keyboard or a separate numpad but I need to work in a lot of different places and that just doesn't always work. The vast majority of work I do is in Excel and SPSS and other types of things where I really just need a numpad. And yes, a real numpad, not a fn+numpad (my current laptop has that and I just can't move fast enough with it).

Anyway, the problem I'm having is that I don't know the language used to commonly describe this--I would have thought it was just "full sized keyboard" but that really doesn't seem to cut it. I know I can't be looking at anything under 15" but I'm tired of having to look for pictures of everything to figure out whether they have numpads. Is there common language here that I'm missing?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'd just search keyboard and numpad. I know the 15" Thinkpad T590 has it and probably a lot of 15" business class notebooks.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.â€Â

DrDork posted:

The explicit end-date is kinda obnoxious, but now that they're looking like they'll support most devices for 5-7 years, honestly I'm fine with it. How many 7+ year old laptops are worth using? Hell, how many 7+ year old laptops are still working? Most laptop manufacturers stop supporting their systems well before that, unless you get a business-class laptop, which you're not getting for <$650. Seems like a pretty narrow category of people who it would actually impact.
Your other points all make sense, and although that doesn't seem very appealing to me I understand why people would buy them. But I really hate how disposable electronics are treated. My brother has an 8 year old Toshiba Satellite that still web browses fine, and it was one of those sub $300 crap boxes that most people should avoid. I have an old ThinkPad that has Windows 98 on it that stull runs like a gem (just uh "sticky keys" is a hardware augmentation rather than a windows feature for it.) Even like my laptop is a 3 year old refurb, it was close to $1500 new and I got it for under $300, and honestly it should be able to web browse, emulate N64, and run office for me for at least the next ten years. I feel like most 7 year old laptops I've encountered would still do most people fine, as long as like the RAM gets upgraded and you do a clean install every couple of years, and explicitly stating a laptop will not be supported after 5-7 years is a waste of perfectly good computers. I guess soldered RAM and other nonsense like that will make those computers age a lot worse, but I don't think it invalidates my point completely.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
Hey folks, I am a total noob in the tablet / 2 in 1 space. I am hoping to get some help with some options. I have already done some research and visited local stores to scope out potential buys but I need someone in here who is familiar with this space on the market to point out potential competitors to this:

Acer Switch 3 12.2
https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/produc...wE&gclsrc=aw.ds

This is something for my mother and there are things that are not ideal with what I saw there but it was the closest thing to what I think she wants at the stores. If there is a go-to recommendation that meets the following list of requirements please let me know.

Musts:

- Windows platform. I am unsure how she will take to Chromebooks and their different style OS.
- Must be fast and snappy when browsing, watching youtube, Netflix, Disney +, etc. She doesn't play games beyond candy crush on a browser but everything listed must be fast. I don't want the thing to chug or be slow if she opens the 3rd tab on her browser or if she needs to tab out of Netflix to look up an actor's name etc.
- Wifi connectivity (pretty sure everything has this but just in case)
- Keyboard option.

Wants (not 100% necessary but would strongly influence my purchase decision)

- Should be able to fold back on itself to act as a tablet or sit on a desk/table/lap like some sort of A-frame.
- Something with a larger screen would be nice. Her eyesight is still decent but she wears glasses now and I'd rather have a bigger screen than the Acer's 12 inches. Full HD minimum. I saw some models with 720p and I didn't like those.
- Good battery life. 8 hours from what I understand is pretty reasonable.
- In the $600 CDN price range like the Acer listed.

Bonus:

- Comes with a pen and works well on the screen.
- Decent build quality. It doesn't need to be a tank but I am hoping for something better than bottom feeder quality.

If there is a magic unicorn out there please let me know. From what I am seeing, trying to go up in screen size immediately bumps the price up by a significant margin.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

DildenAnders posted:

Your other points all make sense, and although that doesn't seem very appealing to me I understand why people would buy them. But I really hate how disposable electronics are treated.

Yeah, I don't entirely disagree with you: the push towards more disposable electronics isn't exactly great for a lot of reasons. That said, it's not like an unsupported Chromebook simply keels over and dies, it just doesn't get any further updates. In that sense, it'd still be (likely) in a much better spot than a Win 98/XP/Vista box would be these days. The big thing for updates are security patches, and frankly ChromeOS has a lot less to worry about on that front than Windows, meaning you're a good bit less likely to get internet face-stabbed running older software than you would under Windows.

Still, the percentage of people who use a laptop for more than 5 years, let alone 7, is tiny. Gotta draw the line somewhere, I suppose. Microsoft only supports an OS for 5 years (unless you're on LTSC), Dell only supports hardware for 5 years unless you want to pay silly money, and even that cuts off at 7 yrs, etc. Not that there can't be life in hardware that old, but the entire tech industry pretty much washes its hands of anything more than 5/7yrs old.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

MikeC posted:

If there is a magic unicorn out there please let me know. From what I am seeing, trying to go up in screen size immediately bumps the price up by a significant margin.

What about a 9th-gen Flex 15? Unless Lenovo's Canadian site is showing me usd price, it seems to be pretty close to your price range and blows the Switch out of the water on features. It's awkward in tablet mode, though, so if you'd probably want something different if she's mostly interested in a tablet.

E: Missed the pen!

Stickman fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Nov 18, 2019

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I actually looked into power banks for my gaming laptop(230w brick), and there are like 3 of them. The issue is that they are huge, heavy and fairly expensive, the best option was one with a 49,990mAh battery and 250w output that weighed around 6 pounds, cost ~$400 and was marketed as quiet and compact alternative to portable gas powered generators for short term use.

"compact alternative to portable gas powered generators"

Honestly for $999 you can get a 2000w Honda gas generator that'll power your laptop + also power a microwave to heat up pizza rolls for up to 30 minutes at a time. I think most pizza rolls are lava hot after 4 minutes so that's a valid solution

I wish I were joking but at that point you might as well get a 8' trailer, 2x5 gallon Jerry cans, some bean bags and the Honda generator. It'll put you back $2500, but you already paid that much for the gaming laptop so why not go full but, honestly

Alternative: 25' used 1980s sailboat with 400w solar, 200ah lead acid battery bank and an 800w inverter, you can game anywhere on the waterfront of your favorite downtown city, out the door under $5000. Just be aware that not all islands have 4 bars of cell service, especially in SF Bay

isndl
May 2, 2012

MikeC posted:

In that price bracket you'll probably want to be checking the manufacturer refurb sites for deals, something like the XPS13 would be ideal (the current gen one is probably best in class for 13" convertibles but last gen ought to be fine for her use case). I don't think a pen comes standard with anything you'll find though, even Microsoft started selling pens separately for their budget Surfaces.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Lenovo was selling a Thinkpad Yoga with pen for a while. No idea what's going on with that line as this point

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

DildenAnders posted:

You totally don't need to spend that amount for a CB, but like with any other laptop, you generally get what you pay for. The higher-end CBs come with things like nicer displays, more RAM/storage, etc. You'd spend the extra money if, like me, you do most of your computing on a CB. In that case it only makes sense to spend more to get nicer I/O devices when you spend so much time using them. It would be the same rationale if you were looking for a Windows-based laptop (but again, in my case, I don't need or want Windows for this use case. I have other Windows systems for other needs.)

DrDork posted:

This is the one thing that annoys me about CBs, actually. As long as the hardware is still functional (which it usually is unless you drop or otherwise physically damage it) the device itself works exactly as intended because the OS is mostly just the Chrome browser (or at least that's how I'm going to simplify the explanation of it) so all CBs work almost exactly the same. I actually have CBs that are EoL but still work fine. I lug a cheap (like $60) C720 to work every day just in case, and it works perfectly even though it's out of support. There's no reason it couldn't still receive software updates, however.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I have a Macbook Air from 2012 so it's pretty ancient now but the latest Mac OS is supported. And apple still offers battery replacements if you need it. One of the good things about Apple. Though this is probably the last update it will get.

Google stopping software support is still bullshit and it happened to my Nexus 6 phone. Hardware was perfectly fine and the battery was trucking along like a champ. But they arbitrarily stopped putting out security updates so I was forced to either use some Legion OS nonsense or buy a new phone.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Nov 18, 2019

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Atomizer posted:

There's no reason it couldn't still receive software updates, however.

Well, the reason is that they'd much prefer you bought something new than used an old laptop forever.

That said, you're right that there's no technical reason it couldn't be extended, and in fact you do have an option for it: Neverware. They basically do the same trick Google does (Linux core with ChromeOS layered on top), but as a custom distribution that doesn't have arbitrary date locks on updates. Should be viable on any Chromebook that can do modern Linux, which is most of them (though not all of the older ones). Ifixit got it working just fine on a 2013 Pixel. It's a bit of a chore to install, but not terrible.

I'm actually seriously considering doing this for mine, because I keep a 2013 Pixel around as basically the last Chromebook made with LTE built in, which to me is a real nice feature to have for occasional road trips and such.

Mu Zeta posted:

Google stopping software support is still bullshit and it happened to my Nexus 6 phone. Hardware was perfectly fine and the battery was trucking along like a champ. But they arbitrarily stopped putting out security updates so I was forced to either use some Legion OS nonsense or buy a new phone.

Software updates on phones are a whole 'nother ball of wax. They need to validate against not only the hardware--by device, not just "oh here's a new update it'll totally work for any Android device!"--but also against whatever bullshit bloat-ware software package each carrier has, and then against the carrier's actual network. It's non-trivial, both in time and cost. That's a big part of why a lot of phones never get Android OS upgrades, or get them months/years after the upgrade has been generally available. Most phones are lucky to get actual support for 3 years, and often spend half that an OS version behind: Google is just up front and honest about it, whereas for everyone else it's just quietly understood.

Apple gets to be massively better on that front because they have a hilariously small product line (by comparison) to cover, and own the entire product stack, so their costs and time involved are massively reduced.

DrDork fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Nov 18, 2019

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Qualcomm is one of the biggest issues for long term phone support. Google is reliant on them for binary blobs for low level support, so it gets a bit tricky supporting things once Qualcomm decides to stop supporting the SoC.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
My dad has a Thinkpad T470s from a few years ago and wants to replace the SSD with a bigger one. I found this spec sheet dated April 2019 https://psref.lenovo.com/syspool%5CSys/PDF/ThinkPad/ThinkPad%20T470s/ThinkPad_T470s_Platform_Specifications.pdf How do I know if that's the same version of a T470s he has? Mainly I'm wondering if there is in fact only room for one drive, if it's M.2, and then if I should get M.2 SATA or M.2 NVMe.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

So Oculus posted the specs for the Quest VR link that lets you use the headset with your laptop or PC

There's some speculation that the 1060 will actually be below the minimum spec once it goes out of beta, also importantly, they're only supporting Nvidia cards right now

I think this impacts a pretty limited number of people, but as a laptop owner with a 1050 that's currently doing VR with it, is making me think it's time to sell the XPS 15 and upgrade to something with a 1070 or similar, once the data starts rolling in

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Here is the link: https://support.oculus.com/444256562873335/

As of today, for laptops, looks like only the 1070, 1080 are supported

Maybe this is the year I finally buy the external GPU thunderbolt thing, sell the XPS 15 and get the x390 i7

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Hadlock posted:

Here is the link: https://support.oculus.com/444256562873335/

As of today, for laptops, looks like only the 1070, 1080 are supported

Maybe this is the year I finally buy the external GPU thunderbolt thing, sell the XPS 15 and get the x390 i7

"NVIDIA GeForce GTX 16-series(all) - Supported" suggests that you may still be able to get away with using the older 1050Ti once it's out of beta, they just won't vouch for its performance suitability. It's not like the 1650 is all that much more powerful, after all, and it's actually less powerful than the 1060, even in laptop configurations. So there's hope for you yet!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

KingKapalone posted:

My dad has a Thinkpad T470s from a few years ago and wants to replace the SSD with a bigger one. I found this spec sheet dated April 2019 https://psref.lenovo.com/syspool%5CSys/PDF/ThinkPad/ThinkPad%20T470s/ThinkPad_T470s_Platform_Specifications.pdf How do I know if that's the same version of a T470s he has? Mainly I'm wondering if there is in fact only room for one drive, if it's M.2, and then if I should get M.2 SATA or M.2 NVMe.

Pop the back off and have a look

Or look at the drive in device manager (or crystal disk stats)

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

So my laptop's about 7 years old, give or take, and it's been chugging enough that I kind of decided to just go ahead and look for a new laptop. My friend recommended 1050Ti, at least 16GB of RAM, i5 or i7 CPU, 512GB SSD, and to look for a laptop with good cooling. He also said I might be able to just buy a separate SSD and install it afterwards, but I'm less than confident about opening up a laptop. I'm mostly aiming to use this laptop for gaming (Yakuza 0 and Bloodstained as examples) or watching dumb videos at 1080p, maybe some school work once I get back into university; I don't think I mind any size since it's probably not going to be moved around much. Price range for me is going to be around 800 USD. Not sure what else I need to include since I'm pretty tech illiterate, so feel free to yell at me if I did miss anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

BlackPersona posted:

So my laptop's about 7 years old, give or take, and it's been chugging enough that I kind of decided to just go ahead and look for a new laptop. My friend recommended 1050Ti, at least 16GB of RAM, i5 or i7 CPU, 512GB SSD, and to look for a laptop with good cooling. He also said I might be able to just buy a separate SSD and install it afterwards, but I'm less than confident about opening up a laptop. I'm mostly aiming to use this laptop for gaming (Yakuza 0 and Bloodstained as examples) or watching dumb videos at 1080p, maybe some school work once I get back into university; I don't think I mind any size since it's probably not going to be moved around much. Price range for me is going to be around 800 USD. Not sure what else I need to include since I'm pretty tech illiterate, so feel free to yell at me if I did miss anything.

That sounds like decent advise overall, though I would go for a 1660 ti if possible, it's a much faster GPU and it will last you a lot longer than a 1050 ti. Speaking of:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WVRCWYK/

This looks like a really good deal, it's only lacking in RAM but you can definitely get by on 8gb and upgrading to 16gb would be very easy, seriously, RAM is stupid easy to upgrade, it's literally just putting a card into a slot, also there are lots of videos on YouTube and such that will show you how to do it, probably even ones for this specific model of laptop.