Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Yeah I am at hour 20 and have just beaten the third gym, I am not getting everything on every route but I am trying to make sure I see most mons and catch what I can.

Could rush through far faster I am sure, but I am here for a fun run not a speedrun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I am enjoying it so far and I love the professional sports motif they are going for. That said, I can't tell if the catch rate is really bad this time (Fuckin' Mudbray took me over 10 balls :argh: ) or if it is bad luck and no worse than in other generations. I feel like it is worse in the wild area. On the other hand this is with regular pokeballs and I am thinking it will even out once I unlock Great Balls.

EDIT: Also, Hop is all right, just kind of annoying and the living personification of this dril tweet

https://twitter.com/dril/status/134787490526658561?lang=en

EDIT2: Also I love being able to switch out mons from the box on the road

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Nov 17, 2019

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I haven't had much in the way of problems catching mons, the only one that seemed to be a huge pain for me (more than 2-3 balls) was very early on when it started raining in the wild area and a level 15 Diggersby spawned, that one took awhile considering my team was at like level 9 at that point. I do think the level difference of the one that's out versus the target 'mon makes a big difference here

What does Shield have that's worthwhile trade bait? I'm not to the point where I'm seeing any Larvitars but man I'd kill for a Sir Farfetch'd to turn into my Fight/False Swipe capture machine. Max Raid Lotads maybe? I've got some of them lol

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Is there a way to obtain the leek in shield? Because i have a bunch of egg hatched farfetched but they are sans leek

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
The Shield version of Sirfetch'd is the Psychic/Fairy Galarian Rapidash, iirc.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

also I'd like to say that it's hilarious to me the whiplash of public commentary in the leadup to how much I'm actually enjoying this game, I'm glad I trusted my instincts watching Twitch streams and got it day 1, I'm having a blast

averaging like 6-7 hours played per gym lmfao, could easily be double that too

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Epic High Five posted:

I haven't had much in the way of problems catching mons, the only one that seemed to be a huge pain for me (more than 2-3 balls) was very early on when it started raining in the wild area and a level 15 Diggersby spawned, that one took awhile considering my team was at like level 9 at that point. I do think the level difference of the one that's out versus the target 'mon makes a big difference here

I think that is it; it is usually when my mean team level skews lower than the level on the mon I am trying to catch is when I have trouble.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Clarste posted:

I'd say Cursola fits the bill better, whereas Darmanitan is Rapidash's counterpart. But that's semantics really.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Clarste posted:

Still haven't run into those but once I do I'll start stockpiling them, thanks!

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Unlucky7 posted:

I think that is it; it is usually when my mean team level skews lower than the level on the mon I am trying to catch is when I have trouble.

Oh I hadn't tested that, only with the one battling, but you're probably right now that I think about it, all the times I'd had the most trouble catching pokemon was when I had a bunch of 1/2 or less leveled ones I was pumping up

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

e: bad post.

The most surprisingly nice thing is the music, a lot of it is actually good

Peacoffee fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Nov 17, 2019

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Well, I beat it. I think this game is better than I expected but still not nearly as good as it should be. Its pretty painfully obvious where corners were cut. The last 1/4 of the game is so blatantly rushed its actually kind of sad. I could say a lot about this game but honestly most of its probably been said before so why bother? Its just really disappointing since, as per usual with Pokemon, its pretty fun at its core with some good new ideas.

The fact that the game doesn't even appear to have a Hall of Fame leaves such a bitter taste in my mouth. I always liked having a record of my team and being able to compare it with others.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Ms Adequate posted:

Yeah I am at hour 20 and have just beaten the third gym, I am not getting everything on every route but I am trying to make sure I see most mons and catch what I can.

Could rush through far faster I am sure, but I am here for a fun run not a speedrun!
:same:
I called up my friend to ask where he was at, and to see if he wanted to have a rival battle

he's the champion already lol

in related news, celebratory new trainer card! I'm cute as poo poo.

also, while not the hardest one, this might very well be my favorite of the series! Who knows. Tied with SM right now because I'm waiting for more plot to happen.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Didn't one of those early doom and gloom reviews say the world was sterile and empty and exploring wasted your time, unlike the old days where poking around the SS Anne was rewarding and good?

Well nothing could possibly be as rewarding and good as this one hotel I poked around in in the 6th gym city: a terrible detective trying to figure out who ate all the berries in the lobby. He accuses a random person, when it was clearly a kid's skwovet. He challenges me to do a better job and when I point at the skwovet with berry juice around its mouth, he proclaims the case closed and flees the person he falsely accused. The kid says skwovet thinks I did a good job, and just the idea of this adorable squirrel cheering me on as I accuse it of being the culprit is just too much.
:kimchi:

Seriously, Skwovet is too cute. Its evolution is a crime.

But yeah, I totally don't miss "fight a bunch of dudes" dungeons. The world is charming and full of stuff, and I get the sneaking suspicion that people who rushed through the game to give early impressions just might have been missing all the little things that have made my play-through delightful.

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

Has anyone had any luck resetting to try and force a Milcery sweet out of a cafe?? I'm at a bit over a dozen attempts and counting with the guy at the Motostoke one giving me the same thing every time and I don't know if it's locked in for the day or a massively skewed table or me just having garbage luck or what.

just stop giving me sweet hearts dwight, i've picked up so much poo poo in the wild area i could probably buy out a potion factory, these are of no use to me

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
Has the IV checker NPC/function been found? I snooped around the Battle Tower at postgame and didn't find anything.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
What does the "Battle Teams" functionality do in the PC boxes?....
When you press X you get Team 1-6 instead of "Party" to register Pokemon into, idgi.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Internet Kraken posted:

So what design were you guys lukewarm about and then ended up loving

Falinks went from okay to incredible the second I saw it ingame.

100% Falinks yes
As soon as I saw it do the little angry martians from looney tunes split and stare at me individually I caught it and kicked out a member of my team for it

On the other hand I love the concept of a Dark/Fairy with prankster and I'm using it a lot but oh man Impidimp and the entire line are so ugly why

Kyrosiris posted:

Like, I gotta loving breed specifically a Rash one? Ughhhhhhh.

Overdrive/Boomburst/Toxic/Venoshock would've owned but nooooo, my Modest one isn't allowed. :rant:

I feel like they almost want you to use the nature changing candies. Mine is modest too (Is the gift one always Modest)

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Endgame spoilers: the legendary skeleton dragon that was going to destroy the country has the personality of "Sassy" for me and that is inherently amusing.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Elite 4 Nuzlocke update. :negative::rip:
Survived the finals with 3 Pokemon remaining! Fuuuuccck

Remaining Cool Kids Club Pokemon
BLASTU, the Inteleon. He knows Hydro Pump + Cannon... I should probably change them.. but gently caress it.
THANTS, the Falinks. These guys are loving machines. Close Combat + Brick Break + Megahorn = Powerhouse.
Sqwittles, the Drednaw. He's the bastard turtle stepchild I never knew I wanted :swoon:

:rip: C U @ DA XROADS CLUB :rip:
Hamtaro, the Morpeko, KO'd by Nessa's Seaking
Majima, the Bisharp, taken out by Allister's Polteageist.
Vomit Comet, the Camorant, 1 hit KO'd by Raihan's Goodra
Lick King, the Vanillish, used as Sacrificial Pawn #1 to setup my other pokemon on Raihan :v:
Lard Lard, the Wailmer, used as Sacrificial Pawn #2

Majima hurt a lot, because he was lynch pin for a number of earlier wins
Vomit Comet was my boy, except he was weird and we don't acknowledge his vore fetish.

They have been replaced by
Vengabug, the now Charjabug, I forgot you could go back to the first part of the Slumbering Weald! So I picked him up at the 1st half of the Weald :getin:
M'Smog, the Galarian Weezing. He looks so loving dumb, I love him.
New Friend, the Sneasel, taken out of the box... cause I needed a 6th.

I have a bunch of Pokemon out on PokeJobs, so I'm gonna probably need them back soon!

Onwards to End Game!

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2p2Ptv48zg

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
https://twitter.com/AshandSerena/status/1195998439433129984

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
So I played red, gold, and fire red but after that never really played the others until 3ds where I played x and moon but was fairly underwhelmed with both.

This looks like more of the same so I started hunting around. I have my 3ds xl and a copy of omega ruby but I don’t remember playing it that much to be honest. If at all?

You can’t black black and white or heart gold on 3ds unless you have a cart of it? Which a quick scan online shows they are super expensive :/

Anyway brings me to it I want to play Pokémon but I want to wait to see what next years is instead of sword and shield, should I bite the bullet on playing omega, is there a way to play black and white or heart gold on 3ds cheaply, or should I just download Pokémon crystal on the e shop? Is that still playable? Does it have the two game maps like gold and silver did?

EDIT: alternatively I’ll take any other Pokémon style game on switch or PS4 as a recommendation!

Brick Shipment
Jun 22, 2009

Mizuti posted:

Has the IV checker NPC/function been found? I snooped around the Battle Tower at postgame and didn't find anything.

Defeat Leon in the battle tower to unlock it. I think its 5-ish battles in? Could be more, I had someone take over while I went and did chores.

Does the online for this work at all? I've been trying all weekend and never been able to join a raid battle. I've never had anyone join one I've hosted, even 5 star ones. Stamps don't really update enough? I get a prompt to get new ones every now and then, but it's like, once every half an hour and of course the newest are all expired/cancelled/ whatever. Mystery trades take anything from 5 minutes to a full hour. I'm definitely online. Is this everyone's experience? Raids higher than the AI can handle may as well not exist for me.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

teacup posted:

EDIT: alternatively I’ll take any other Pokémon style game on switch or PS4 as a recommendation!

Digimon Story: CyberSluth is a pretty good call, You get both games in the series nowadays for about what they're asking for ShSw and you have the choice of Switch, PC or PS4.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
can't believe i cannot also make my character a huge buff farmer

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I have not paid attention to any aspect of my Pokemon's stats, and have ended up with most of my team tearing things apart, but being unable to take a hit for poo poo. Drizzile and Carkol can take a beating, but I'm pretty sure the rest are made out of wet cardboard. Wet cardboard that can do a surprising amount of damage.

So what I'm saying, is every battle has become "KILL MAIM BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD" speedy affairs, to brutalize the opponent's team before they can kill mine.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

:siren: Nuzlocke Complete - 2/6 Pokemon alive :siren:

Surviving Main Team Pokemon
BLASTU, the Inteleon. 1 shot Charizard :blastu:
THANTS, the Falinks. These guys are probably all around Team MVP

:rip: The Fallen
Sqwittles, the Drednaw. 1 shot KO by Leon's Charizard.... even though I was Dynamax'd... :stare:
ONLY ZUUL, Eternatus. Tanked first 2 1/2 of Leon's team. Works for me :v:

Sir Not Appearing In This Picture
Vengabug, the Charjabug.
M'Smog, the Weezing.
Both in the final 6, but did literally nothing other than absorb XP, so I'm not counting them at all.
They could have literally just sat in the box... but they were JICs incase I needed to have a pawn to heal one of my mains

Final Alive Vs Dead Pic

Nuzlocke was a LOT of fun, and I found myself heavily invested at an emotional level.
Everytime one of my main guys died that I wanted to carry to end game, I got suuuuuper pissed off. Half the time I just stared at the screen in disbelief.

Think I bent the rules twice, to pickup a Corviknight + Polteageist that I really wanted, but otherwise was a 'pure' nuzlocke run.

AAAAA+++++++ would Nuzlocke again and swear a whole loving lot.

Thoughts on Dexit
I actually really liked that there are not a million old pokemon running around. Every route felt 'fresh' to me. Ton of new and unique pokemon are at the forefront, rather than "oh another caterpie and weedle to catch"
I do feel like the full dex should be available somehow in a postgame area.. cause... come on. Gotta Catch Em All

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I've never really thought much about Shedinja except as, like, a battle gimmick until my mom showed me all the cast off cicada shells in her garden and it was like ...oh! So that's neat.

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix

Kyrosiris posted:

Is it possible to both adore and despise something at once? That's how I feel about the Fairy Gym's gimmick.

It's bullshit that The old lady thinks you aren't wearing enough pink before you start the Gym or whatever exactly she says, then when she asks what her favorite color is, you can't actually use the information you were given because her personal favorite for HERSELF is loving purple and I'm getting mad as gently caress at the bitch just thinking about that again. Like if you're gonna put information out there we should be rewarded for remembering, that particular question went against the stated goal of the challenge and pissed me off really bad for a few minutes.

Anyway Falinx is my new favorite Pokemon and if anything were to happen to him I would kill everyone in this room and then myself.

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011
Everything past gym 3 is phoned-in horseshit. It's really bad.

Gym 8 is alright I guess with the double battles. It was also more challenging than I was expecting because of the team synergy every trainer has going on. The second one got me good

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
Just caught a timid Gigantimax Butterfree from a raid, sweet!

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

100% Falinks yes
As soon as I saw it do the little angry martians from looney tunes split and stare at me individually I caught it and kicked out a member of my team for it

On the other hand I love the concept of a Dark/Fairy with prankster and I'm using it a lot but oh man Impidimp and the entire line are so ugly why

I feel like they almost want you to use the nature changing candies. Mine is modest too (Is the gift one always Modest)

I read on either Bulbapedia or Serebii that the nature candies don't influence what form Toxitrcity gets: it goes by whatever its "natural" nature was.

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011
Man the worst issue with these best friend rivals is that you'll inevitably have to destroy them in ritual combat in order to finish the story.

I really like the elimination style tournament after gym 8, but jesus christ did they have to specifically animate Hop's soul breaking into pieces after you crush him? That was hard to watch

Sometimes I'm overly sensitive, but drat

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Hop's weird rubbery mouth animating like a claymation model immediately snapping back into its rictus grin weirds me out

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I’m not that far yet but what’s the postgame like in SwSh? Also was there any truth to that rumor of more Pokemon showing up after you beat the game beyond the initial 400?

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Larryb posted:

I’m not that far yet but what’s the postgame like in SwSh? Also was there any truth to that rumor of more Pokemon showing up after you beat the game beyond the initial 400?

There's the battle tower, which is iirc just a series of higher level trainer battles. Other than that there really isn't anything, be it activities or Pokemon.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

This rules

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Syenite posted:

There's the battle tower, which is iirc just a series of higher level trainer battles. Other than that there really isn't anything, be it activities or Pokemon.

The raids are also “endgame” and how you get Pokémon with gigantamax (butterfree is the current event) and hidden abilities.

EDIT: Well I was curious about this and it finally happeend: the Pokédex recommendation is now pointing me towards a Pokémon that is way above my pay grade (lvl 40s Hitmonchans) while I can only catch stuff up to 35. I was curious if the Dex guide would limit itself to stuff you can catch but I guess I either caught everything I can at this point (137) or it finally got tripped. I can finally move on!

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Nov 17, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I wanna dunk Hop in a toilet, or as the brits call it, the water closet