Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
I've updated the thread OP a bit.

Added some information to the glossary including two videos on the mandalorians for people wanting to get some information on them leading upto this series. A timeline of when this show takes place in star wars and added some more character bios and information, including some spoilers, such as The Mandos name which Pedro Pascal has revealed and another baddie yet to be shown but already known.

Also, have some B-roll behind the scenes footage from the filming of episode 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vy4U3Zen-TI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I hope The Mandalorian never takes his helmet off on-screen.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

PureRok posted:

I hope The Mandalorian never takes his helmet off on-screen.

He must love the gig not having to do makeup because he’s in a helmet the entire time on screen.

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hamelekim posted:

He must love the gig not having to do makeup because he’s in a helmet the entire time on screen.

the helmet is actually a thick layer of makeup

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

[quote="Lemon" post="500066323"]
I know the sound you mean, I noticed it as well. Don't know anything about it, other than I found it reminiscent of the noise of when someone eats poo poo in the old Pink Panther cartoons.
[/quote

Wilhelm Scream?

Knight2m
Jul 26, 2002

Touchdown Steelers

Hamelekim posted:

Has anyone actually seen photos/video of Pedro on set? I'd be surprised if he's even in the armor, as it's most likely just him doing VO.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Knight2m posted:

Has anyone actually seen photos/video of Pedro on set? I'd be surprised if he's even in the armor, as it's most likely just him doing VO.

Didn't even think about this but it makes so much sense lol

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Not even close. Like, not even in the same universe of sounds.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I think the sound they’re referring to is more of a thump/crunch. Going back and listening closely, there’s definitely a sound in there that sounds like it came from a sound effects LP from 1948, but I can’t place it.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Knight2m posted:

This wouldn't affect how he was credited under SAG rules or something?

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

The Mandalorian Chapter 2: The Baby Situation

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

AccountSupervisor posted:

Yeah it sounds like this is a problem with Disney+ app forcing certain picture settings on TVs.

Yikes, I hope they fix it because thats some bullshit

https://www.reddit.com/r/DisneyPlus/comments/dverqe/soap_opera_effect/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

Hulu does this on my TV, but only on my switch. it's weird as hell.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

drunkill posted:

Also, have some B-roll behind the scenes footage from the filming of episode 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vy4U3Zen-TI

I didn't know George Lucas was involved with it. What is his role? is he just consulting or something? That was actually pretty neat to see.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

veni veni veni posted:

I didn't know George Lucas was involved with it. What is his role? is he just consulting or something? That was actually pretty neat to see.

I think they just invited him around to check out the filming

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Knight2m posted:

It could be a Scam, but at the premiere I was at he talked in a Q&A about what it was like wearing the armor and especially the helmet on set.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

He walks like Robocop and it's very distracting.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah, like Jivjov said, probably just being shown around set. His original role when the $4 billion dollar purchase was made was lovingly called the "keeper of the flame" by both he and Kathleen Kennedy. Basically a creative consultant to my understanding, but Lucas later revealed that Disney didn't actually want to apply any of his creative input to their Star Wars projects.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

Lucas has been very involved with star wars lately. I don't understand the capacity with which he is either, but there's a rumor he's been brought in to re edit the new Star Wars movie. Personally I think Star Wars needs him, but it also needs his ideas to be filtered by competent writers/directors

Donovan Trip fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Nov 17, 2019

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Westy543 posted:

It could be a Scam, but at the premiere I was at he talked in a Q&A about what it was like wearing the armor and especially the helmet on set.

Ever since his GoT run ended he’s been very insistent about head protection

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
I’m really enjoying the music in this. It‘s in sync with the visual cuts and sets the appropriate mood much in line with the OT but unlike everything since, maybe the prequels less so but the Disney stuff definitely.

My biggest gripe with the Disney trilogy is that the music seems to have been an afterthought of purely regurgitated canon, and that the scorers have zero time to compose music to fit the scenes thanks to the massive time crunch imposed on them. The scores of these films have so far been very much a “paint by numbers” affair seemingly attempted by Jackson Pollock, and I hate it.

The Mandalorian, on the other hand, seems to know where the lines are drawn and how to fill them appropriately, but like, in the style of an adult colouring book where you can do cool shading and neat complementary colour effects because you’re a goddamn adult and you know what the gently caress you’re doing.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I just think this is a bit better because Jon Favreau is a better writer/director than anyone they have working on the main films. And even this isn't that great, but it is good. Which makes it better than the laughably bad movies they've been churning out.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Donovan Trip posted:

Lucas has been very involved with star wars lately. I don't understand the capacity with which he is either, but there's a rumor he's been brought in to re edit the new Star Wars movie. Personally I think Star Wars needs him, but it also needs his ideas to be filtered by competent writers/directors

both this and Fallen Order have vastly better storytelling, sense of place, and “Star Warsiness” for lack of a better word than anything Disney Star Wars prior (excepting Rogue One). whether its more Lucas involvement or whoever its making me a little more optimistic about the future of the series

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

To me at least, I think Disney should have earned it a bit before busting out a whole new mainline trilogy. We should have had 4 or 5 years of stuff like the Mandalorian, Rogue One and Solo (Yes I said Solo) before they tackled the big one. I'm kind of growing an affinity towards some Disney SW stuff, but none of that translates to the new trilogy for me. That's partly cause I think it's mediocre as hell, but also partly because I didn't give a poo poo about Disney's take on the saga in the first place.

They had all the time in the world to define what "Disney Star Wars" actually was, and instead just jumped the gun and tried to kick it off with the biggest thing possible, before they actually had anything of value to add to the SW universe. Now it's it's starting to take shape, but the new trilogy is already about to end and it sort of stinks so far (imho obviously, I'm not making GBS threads on anyone who likes it)

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Nov 17, 2019

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Between Favreau on The Mandalorian and Chris Avellone on Fallen Order the biggest difference right now is they're actually putting writers to work on Star Wars. I agree they jumped the gun on a new trilogy, but at least they're slowing down now and put that GOT showrunner trilogy on ice. Even PT had something to say, new trilogy is just a nostalgia amusement park.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I like the sequel trilogy a lot, I'm always so surprised to see the strong negative feelings so many people have towards it. I think with time people will warm up to it. It can't be understated how inexplicable it would have been like 10 or so years ago to imagine the universally reviled prequel trilogy being socially rehabilitated, but here we are.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I'm pretty ambivalent about the sequel trilogy, but it's crazy that they bought one of the biggest franchises of all time and then just decided to wing it and produce a new trilogy without a real master plan, especially after the success of the MCU.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
I keep on seeing people throwing out how this new stuff "feels Star Wars-y, unlike the movies" and I really don't get what that means. Liking or disliking them is one thing, but how do they not feel like Star Wars? :confused:

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

drunkill posted:

For a wealthy man, you’d think George Lucas would own more than one shirt.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Lester Shy posted:

I'm pretty ambivalent about the sequel trilogy, but it's crazy that they bought one of the biggest franchises of all time and then just decided to wing it and produce a new trilogy without a real master plan, especially after the success of the MCU.

They rushed so Hamil, Fisher and Ford would still be alive.

2/3 ain't bsd.

----

Baby yode is going to sell so many toys for Christmas.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Martytoof posted:

For a wealthy man, you’d think George Lucas would own more than one shirt.

I saw your post before I watched the video and thought "It's the flannel shirt, isn't it" and I wasn't disappointed. Also, I remember seeing a recent interview with Filoni where he said he and Lucas had a pretty close working relationship, so that may be why he was brought in.

EDIT: Found the interview: https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2019/11/dave-filoni-george-lucas-star-wars

This was a pretty heartwarming bit:

quote:

“One day, George said, ‘Do you know why I enjoy working with you?’ And I said, ‘No, I have no idea,’ ” Filoni recalled. “He said, ‘Well, you listen to me.’ ” Filoni lets that sink in. “A lot of people think you need to come and impress someone. They think, I’m going to show you or do better. They don’t always think you impress somebody by listening.”

Completely unrelated:
https://twitter.com/Bosslogic/status/1195906966096240640

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Nov 18, 2019

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

drunkill posted:

They rushed so Hamil, Fisher and Ford would still be alive.

2/3 ain't bsd.

----

Baby yode is going to sell so many toys for Christmas.

Nuclear take: the sequel trilogy would have been better without any of them. Also yes I need babby yoda in my life and would protect him

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Donovan Trip posted:

there's a rumor he's been brought in to re edit the new Star Wars movie.

This is pure clickbait horseshit.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PunkBoy posted:

I keep on seeing people throwing out how this new stuff "feels Star Wars-y, unlike the movies" and I really don't get what that means. Liking or disliking them is one thing, but how do they not feel like Star Wars? :confused:

I'm not sure if I've ever made any comment of the sort because "Star Wars" can mean anything right now, but I suspect this is also why different people can project their expectations and these can be any expectations because they're all equally part of the stuff we've been shown thus far in the SW universe.

Art-wise, a simple example is how JJ Abrams couldn't stop bragging about the props being real, non-CGI, and dirty. Everything in the original SW has a very dirty look. Even stuff people don't consciously notice like C3P0's legs being different. Everything is filled with dirt, and the one place that isn't (the Imperial areas) are still either very dark, or contain some sort of disgusting grittiness (like the trash compactor). In general things look worn out and weary.

The prequel goes away with that and thus an element of SW's art design is lost while another one is created. It makes sense to go away with that, though: SW OT is essentially post-apocalyptic in space. There's only so much that something can be post-apocalyptic in a galaxy-wide network of planets, a lot of which are independent, but it's as close as possible to that. We're also seeing the universe in the eyes of exiles and refugees doing guerrilla warfare with old stuff they have to keep moving. This is a fundamentally different setting than seeing the Old Republic from the eyes of the people in power. In this sense, the PT is both correct, and something that would not feel Star Wars-y, under that very specific point of view.

Between Solo, Rogue One, ESB, ROTJ and ROTS you can probably make a montage or an entire film with scenes that are essentially Saving Private Ryan. This has nothing to do with the Mad Max vibes from ANH and the Desert Planet Shenanigans. In fact, you can probably also make a Mad Max montage with ANH, ROTJ and The Mandalorian. Notice how I haven't even touched on the actual Space part of the series.

With proper editing, you can make a movie that is themed entirely like:

1) Space Battles with nothing in-between.
2) Religious Cults.
3) Fantasy fights and battles between colorful knights in robes.
4) Sword fights that look like you're watching Yojimbo all over again.
5) Mad Max.
6) A Tale of Political Corruption and an essay on democracy versus autocracy.
7) A WW2 documentary.
8) A family drama soap-opera. You barely need to do cuts on the OT to achieve that.
9) A friendly comedy for kids in a windows XP wallpaper colorful futuristic utopia.
10) A gruesome horror movie with people burning alive, being mutilated, being crushed to death, being trapped with Space Jason, and so on.

There are far more themes, color palettes, environments, narrative choices and film formats possible if you want to be creative about it. And while I consider this list I made off the top of my head pretty big, once you start including the games, the books, the comics and the animations, the whole thing explodes.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Nov 18, 2019

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

The thing is, the scene in TLJ with Luke and Kylo is a top 3 Star Wars scene. I'm sure that's a nuclear take, but I'm right and smart.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Westy543 posted:

Nuclear take: the sequel trilogy would have been better without any of them. Also yes I need babby yoda in my life and would protect him

I've been enjoying the sequels so far but now I'm intrigued about how much better Baby Yoda would have made TLJ

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

NienNunb posted:

The thing is, the scene in TLJ with Luke and Kylo is a top 3 Star Wars scene. I'm sure that's a nuclear take, but I'm right and smart.

Absolutely. There's a reason that movie is one of, if not the, best Star Wars films ever made.

But to touch on that big ol effort post slightly above, the coolest thing about the star wars universe is that it does actually feel like a full universe. There's the Skywalker Saga, the generational tale of a dysfunctional family, and then there's all this other stuff that fits into so many different genres.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Westy543 posted:

I would have liked to watch a version of The Force Awakens that had the same first 20 minutes but didn't then turn into an exact copy of Episode IV. I would also have been ok with a whole movie that was just Rey scavenging stuff from ships.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Elentor posted:

Big Post

Definitely agreed. I love how you can tell so many different stories in the setting.

NienNunb posted:

:hmmyes:

That is in fact, a right and smart take.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

NienNunb posted:

I like the sequel trilogy a lot, I'm always so surprised to see the strong negative feelings so many people have towards it. I think with time people will warm up to it. It can't be understated how inexplicable it would have been like 10 or so years ago to imagine the universally reviled prequel trilogy being socially rehabilitated, but here we are.

I have zero love for the prequels. I absolutely can't stand them, but at least they weren't bland. On paper the new trilogy is probably better, but I just think they are boring and I don't really care what is going on at all. I don't have strong negative feelings towards them as much they make me feel nothing. R1, The Mandalorian, and even Solo kicked my inner SW nerd into gear in ways the new trilogy has just completely failed to do, even if two of them are highly flawed movies. I'm not even 100% sure why, aside from the story just feeling like they are making it up as they go along. I think a lot of it boils down to it feeling like Disney hadn't earned the right to continue this story to me yet. Which is cheesy to say, but it is what it is.