Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

The Deleter posted:

"Please wait warmly" as a blogpost, huh? Well, I wasn't going to be in a rush to get anything but I was keen to see what it was. I'm more interested in the pretty blatant hint of stuff from Hysh at the end there. Will we finally get the High Elf replacement people want? Or will it be some endless spells or something?

Given the Words it might be Light Giants.

Like proper ones, not the drunk brutes they degenerated into.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count_Brass
Jul 16, 2009
Glad I didn’t buy a bag of round bases for the Wood Elf army I started years ago! I really hope we get Vampirates as an army, that’d be cool as hell.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

My friend expected the rules to drop immediately, presumably as a wallpapered-over AoS. I'm glad they're taking the time to get it right.

3 years is also enough time for me to put a dent in my shameful Dark Elf backlog...

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
*dusts off Bretonnians i've been working on since 2002 and yet still dont have 2000 points painted.

Finally, a chance for me to use these again.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

serious gaylord posted:

*dusts off Bretonnians i've been working on since 2002 and yet still dont have 2000 points painted.

Finally, a chance for me to use these again.

Just think, there may even be a Bretonnian book.

MCPeePants
Feb 25, 2013
For those of you that are amped up for some rank and flank, now is a fine time to consider any of the at least two WHFB proxy-friendly games that are alive and well right now. Just in case you want to get some games in with those dusty elves and dragons while you wait.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Just think, there may even be a Bretonnian book.

Tbh Bretonnians are the kind of thing Forge World might get a mega boner for so maybe I might get some new grail knights to never paint.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I can only imagine Mantic and 9th age throwing a massive fit at this announcement.

Sorta related:
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/11/15/meme-hammer-youre-welcome/

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Cooked Auto posted:

I can only imagine Mantic and 9th age throwing a massive fit at this announcement.

Sorta related:

https://twitter.com/manticgames/status/1195371319812116480?s=19

They're corncobbing a bit.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Cooked Auto posted:

Sorta related:

I think Mantic is feeling fine. https://twitter.com/manticgames/status/1195371319812116480?s=19

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Yeah that's about the same level of their first response to AoS.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

"My lore's good, my lore's good" I insist as I rename my setting from "Mantica" to a generic fantasy word designed to send people to sleep.

still love ya mantic

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

jadebullet posted:

I hope that rather than going back to square bases they instead go with movement trays for round bases.

Yeah. Not having an old model army be playable in both systems would absolutely suck.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
Old world back: A million times yes, YES, YEEEEEEES!!!
Square bases back: Noooooooooooooooooo!

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
I actually really liked ranked infantry and the modeling opportunities that came along with it

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe
Should be good, chance to get my dwarves painted again.

Feel bad for the Bretonian player who melted his army... Actually I don't.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

The biggest problem with Mantic games is nobody gives a poo poo. Full stop.

Kings of War is definitely a game I would play of their was a scene for it anywhere around me. There isn't, and I can't imagine there ever will be. Now, as soon as Games Workshop dusts off my beloved WHFB I am going in whole hog, and people that have armies will definitely get them out and we can play some like in the good old days. I can't imagine it will ever be a huge thing again, but I think it will still easily be bigger than Mantic.

9th Age guys will definitely come flocking back, and not a few KoW players.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Wasn't 9th Age was written by guys fixated on "fixing" WHFB for the competitive scene?

They've probably already started spitballing house-rules for whenever it drops.

MCPeePants
Feb 25, 2013

Lord_Hambrose posted:

The biggest problem with Mantic games is nobody gives a poo poo. Full stop.

Kings of War is definitely a game I would play of their was a scene for it anywhere around me. There isn't, and I can't imagine there ever will be. Now, as soon as Games Workshop dusts off my beloved WHFB I am going in whole hog, and people that have armies will definitely get them out and we can play some like in the good old days. I can't imagine it will ever be a huge thing again, but I think it will still easily be bigger than Mantic.

9th Age guys will definitely come flocking back, and not a few KoW players.

KoW has pretty (non-GW/PP, which is a big qualifier) presence in most hubs in the US, but that's pretty worthless if you don't live near one. Third edition is doing a pretty good job of launching the interest locally, so I'm happy. I will be sad if new WHFB cannibalizes my scene, but I guess we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

Really interesting will be whether it and AoS are indeed completely separate down to the base shape, or if they'll do war of the ring style movement trays.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Yeah I've personally tried to get people into Kings of War to start and just couldn't get it done. It's a bummer since I like the system but if literally no one is playing it what can you do?

In my area it's pretty much Games Workshop and Magic the Gathering and every other scene starts and dies. X Wing MAY still be a thing but I'm not sure.

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

There's a pretty big square base scene in australia, and where I play in brisbane we regularily have events where 30+ people turn up with fully painted armies etc. The excitement isn't about being allowed to play, its about new people being introduced to the old world in the same way some people gravitate to the horus heresy from regular 40k.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
I can't be the only person out there who doesn't like any of the new AoS armies, right?

This announcement makes me feel like finishing my freeguild and tomb kings won't be a waste of time now. I've been afraid all of the not-new stuff will eventually be squatted for a while now.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Cities of Sigmar exists for AoS. Though they squatted some stuff to get there it was mostly Elves.

Theyve been pretty light on the squat button since end times.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
I just don't believe CoS and the generic skeleton undead type units are going to long term fixtures in AoS. I think they're in the same place as short marines in 40k- they have rules right now, but they might not in an edition or two.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Arven posted:

I just don't believe CoS and the generic skeleton undead type units are going to long term fixtures in AoS. I think they're in the same place as short marines in 40k- they have rules right now, but they might not in an edition or two.

I know I can't convince you so I won't try but they could have elected to continue to not support them if this was the path they wanted to take. The battletomes to support older armies have been very well crafted and show more interest in adding depth to a faction than I thought they would.

RagnarokAngel fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Nov 16, 2019

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

Hello kind goons, i recently started AoS with the feast of bones boxset. Any advice for purchases to get my army to 1000 points? I'm not really feel the beastclaw raiders stuff, but i guess their start collecting is a good deal?

Also what is the EU goons preferred online retailer?

tankfish
May 31, 2013

canada jezus posted:

Hello kind goons, i recently started AoS with the feast of bones boxset. Any advice for purchases to get my army to 1000 points? I'm not really feel the beastclaw raiders stuff, but i guess their start collecting is a good deal?

If you are doing mawtribes you can't go wrong with the butcher and firebelly. Especially if you are getting the mawpot.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

MCPeePants posted:

KoW has pretty (non-GW/PP, which is a big qualifier) presence in most hubs in the US, but that's pretty worthless if you don't live near one. Third edition is doing a pretty good job of launching the interest locally, so I'm happy. I will be sad if new WHFB cannibalizes my scene, but I guess we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

Really interesting will be whether it and AoS are indeed completely separate down to the base shape, or if they'll do war of the ring style movement trays.

There’s zero doubt in my mind that they will have round-socket movement trays, and for several reasons I’ll be very surprised it they don’t completely do away with 20mm even if they keep squares generally. I kind of see this being a campaign variant of the AoS Apocalypse-equivalent.

Edit: I take back the last sentence. They might both use the same circle-socket movement trays, though!

Sulecrist fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Nov 16, 2019

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

canada jezus posted:

I like element-games for online retailer. They’re decently priced, have basically everything and if you’re not in the UK, you get a bunch extra with comedy brexit bux being low (though less low than they have been).

I don’t really know what’s good with the maw tribes, but if you buy a box of ironguts and a firebelly (50£ total), on top of your feast of bones ogres, you’d have a 1000 point army if you buy a command point - both of those are solid choices. You probably really should get a butcher, with cauldron, and a maw pot as well. Pot is 0 points and pretty good and butcher with cauldron is a stable (might be cheaper to convert one).

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
it's cool that GW decided to support WHFB again with what I can only assume will be terrible rules, at some yet-to-be determined point in the future, but it sucks that it's not gonna be an alternate-timeline "WHAT IF... Mannfred didn't cock everything up?" and go from there. I'm also doubtful that they're going to make new models just for Old World like Forgeworld did (does?) for 30K, nevermind new armies like say Araby or Ind

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Mostly finished up some more ghosts today. Gotta touch up the bases a bit after they dry.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Man, assembling boner boy stalkers isn't too bad until you have to glue the four heads together.

I suggest hiring the neighbourhood child with the smallest fingers to do it for you because my goony meathook hands just turned into a gluey mess.

Lasting Damage
Feb 26, 2006

Fallen Rib

Autism Sneaks posted:

I'm also doubtful that they're going to make new models just for Old World like Forgeworld did (does?) for 30K, nevermind new armies like say Araby or Ind
I don't know about that second part, but why wouldn't they make new models? I'm skeptical they would form a design team just for this and then not make any new products for it. The old WHFB range has huge holes in it now, so if you're thinking they'll just sell all the same ancient kits, I think there would be some problems. They just outright got rid of all the old Orcs, Tomb Kings and Bretonnia, and the Elf and Empire range was decimated. I mean, I suppose they could just dust off all the old molds (assuming they kept them), but given the advances in design they've demonstrated these past couple years that looks like a bad idea.

They compared it to Horus Heresy and Sisters of Battle release, AND announced it like 3 years in advance. I think that probably means they're making new models.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I hate it bc if a bunch of dumb grognards give them $10k each for Forgeworld WHFB toys I'm afraid they'll pull a D&D 4E/5E thing and reverse course back into WHFB's ancient mechanics and creative stagnation, disavowing AoS

Also because it probably increases the chance we won't get cool new plastic kits for old world stuff like Witch Hunters and Wardancers as opposed to overpriced resin trash

Happy for the WHFB guys w/ squatted armies, tho

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

TKIY posted:

my goony meathook hands just turned into a gluey mess.

Heh

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
The only thing I’d even consider buying FW resin for would be a re-release of the marienburg land ship

(Maybe also an updated war wagon I guess?)

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

I hate it bc if a bunch of dumb grognards give them $10k each for Forgeworld WHFB toys I'm afraid they'll pull a D&D 4E/5E thing and reverse course back into WHFB's ancient mechanics and creative stagnation, disavowing AoS

Also because it probably increases the chance we won't get cool new plastic kits for old world stuff like Witch Hunters and Wardancers as opposed to overpriced resin trash

Happy for the WHFB guys w/ squatted armies, tho

I don't personally see this going anywhere at all

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
AoS is massively more successful than WHFB was near the end and still growing at an incredible rate, I really don't see AoS going anywhere.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

On no they are going to do r.. r.. resin m.. models for a unit that only exists in a game that until a few days ago was consigned to oblivion. :qq:

They had no chance of existing, and now might get to exist in some form. It is a crime against gaming!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
I finished painting the fourth wizard from the collegiate arcane battlemage box. i'm just 2 units away from having 1k points of Hallowheart ready for the table