Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

deletebeepbeepbeep posted:

All the responses I could be bothered to scroll through were good or we should give it up unilaterally which is the opposite of what I was expecting to be honest!
Putin has launched a multi-front attack on the UK, using troll farms to support any position that weakens the UK - whether that's leaving the EU or scrapping its deterrence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
its wild that the tories think they can attack corbyn in the debates about national security when he can instantly respond with both the tories sitting on a report about russian election interference and that they've austerity'd the gently caress out of the military

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I'm surprised that "Trident can't work without American maintenance, do you really want Donald Trump in charge of whether your missiles work or not?" hasn't been a bigger line of attack.

Either we decommission them like South Africa, or we work on a wholly independent system like North Korea. If they can do it then we can do Blue Streak properly.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Labour's line should be to scrap Trident and build homes for soldiers instead.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/least-13000-hero-soldiers-left-11847000

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

Ooh, I'd spaff up that wall, old girl :heysexy:

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

fuf posted:

I just registered as a volunteer on the Labour website. I'm nervous as poo poo. A year ago I could barely leave the house and now I'm doing this lol

So uh will someone contact me or do I need to sign up to a specific event or what? help

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

WhatEvil posted:

Maybe this has been posted already:

https://twitter.com/Conservatives/status/1195628070138531843?s=20

Veeeeeeery misleading ad here.

"Taxpayers will, on average, pay £2400/year extra tax under Corbyn, that's equivalent to working an extra month a year to pay for tax!"

Except unless you're earning more than £6,666.66/month (£80k/year) you'll pay nothing extra. And even at £80k you won't pay £2400/year extra.

Just pure, pure bullshit.

Our studies have found that the average Conservative MP will have to pay an extra £2,400 a year, because that's as low as our individual tax accountants estimate they could wrangle it :monocle:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jippa posted:

A gremlin?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

I'm surprised that "Trident can't work without American maintenance, do you really want Donald Trump in charge of whether your missiles work or not?" hasn't been a bigger line of attack.

Either we decommission them like South Africa, or we work on a wholly independent system like North Korea. If they can do it then we can do Blue Streak properly.
Modern Britain requires a modern deterrent, not a weapons technology that is nearly a century old. Kinetic bombardment is the deterrent of the future, the arsenal of British democracy and a stepping stone to Britains Solarian empire.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

fuf posted:

So uh will someone contact me or do I need to sign up to a specific event or what? help
go to
https://events.labour.org.uk/
or
https://www.mycampaignmap.com/
search for events near you, and click the buttons! might have to create login details. once you've got in contact with whichever local CLP they might also be able to text or email you directly with stuff that interests you.

ed: depending on where you are, the CLPs might only be listing canvassing stuff, but they'll probably have other stuff to do in the back rooms if you contact them directly. they'll be grateful whichever you do!

CGI Stardust fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Nov 17, 2019

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

RabidWeasel posted:

I'm not sure if it's possible to be a historian at all without being either two meals away from picking up an AK47 and waving the black flag, or so thirsty for the cock of the nearest authority figure (preferably one who got the position due entirely to birth) that you have to learn how to breathe out of your rear end.

:thunk: Hmm I wonder if perhaps the latter has better employment prospects?

Get out of my way I'm gonna be the next Virgil! :hist101: :worship: :agesilaus:

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

fuf posted:

I would recommend that you sign up for a specific event.
There are so many emails flying around from national Labour, local Labour (CLP and branch level) and people working flat out that you might get missed.

Also with GDPR and local organizers using BCC to circulate details of branch level (if you live in a geographically widespread constituency, you may have a branch structure with branches based around the local towns) activity which locals have signed up for such as canvassing or leafleting, it's quite hard to get to get 'in' unless you're already 'in'. Not everything gets onto the national system especially when Welsh Labour get involved.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Modern Britain requires a modern deterrent, not a weapons technology that is nearly a century old. Kinetic bombardment is the deterrent of the future, the arsenal of British democracy and a stepping stone to Britains Solarian empire.
The response to Rods from God.

Orbs from Corbs. Strong palings from Long-Bailey.

Braggart posted:

:thunk: Hmm I wonder if perhaps the latter has better employment prospects?
Is it better to die for an idea that will live or live for an idea that will die?

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

RabidWeasel posted:

I'm not sure if it's possible to be a historian at all without being either two meals away from picking up an AK47 and waving the black flag, or so thirsty for the cock of the nearest authority figure (preferably one who got the position due entirely to birth) that you have to learn how to breathe out of your rear end.

This has been 100% true in my experience though brexit has exposed several of my nominally lefty colleagues as brainworm infected lib dems. Mostly EU colleagues mind so I'll give them a pass.

E: there are however definitely a fair few who oppose Corbyn on account of him being 'too extreme' (i.e. wanting them to pay a trivial amount of extra tax) despite often spending their entire working life thinking about social structures and power relationships etc, many of them using very Marx-influenced theoretical approaches. But yeah leave that poo poo at the door none of it applies to me obviously lol. Almost as if tenured academics are a part of a privileged middle class bubble. I'd have hoped of all the people in the world historians and philosophers would be able to see the wood for the trees! Oh well.

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Nov 17, 2019

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Academics are lamentably yellow in my admittedly limited experience

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Barry Foster posted:

Academics are lamentably yellow in my admittedly limited experience

That said, the stereotypical 'red professor' does still exist in probably slightly greater proportions in the humanities than other disciplines, particularly STEM

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
All the red STEMs are off being terrorists, if the stereotype is true.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

Is it better to die for an idea that will live or live for an idea that will die?

Better to die in a ditch, old boy, than to have any idea what you're talking about :smug:

No, wait! 'No eye deer'! That's the punchline, isn't it?

Also, bootlickers would question your assumptions. Perhaps the thing to ask is: Better to live for an idea that will live, or die for an idea that will die? (Because I'm helping to kill it.)

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

https://twitter.com/RichardNorthey/status/1196037034282045441?s=20

Look at Corbyn there claiming Brits need better support for their teeth when HE HIMSELF ARE MADE OF doesn't have very nice teeth.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

The response to Rods from God.

Orbs from Corbs. Strong palings from Long-Bailey.
Orbs from space? Like in Moonraker, the '79 hit that came out the same year Thatcherism got its clammy hands on the British state? Not sure how it relates, but I'm certain it does.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Jose posted:

its wild that the tories think they can attack corbyn in the debates about national security when he can instantly respond with both the tories sitting on a report about russian election interference and that they've austerity'd the gently caress out of the military

It must be hard for Corbyns debate team cause they need to attack Johnson on his strengths but... What are they?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Eschenique posted:

Look at Corbyn there claiming Brits need better support for their teeth when HE HIMSELF ARE MADE OF doesn't have very nice teeth.

I just googled "Boris Johnson teeth" and wish I hadnt

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Communist Thoughts posted:

It must be hard for Corbyns debate team cause they need to attack Johnson on his strengths but... What are they?

He's drought- and famine-resistant

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Failed Imagineer posted:

Very absorbent.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

I'm all up for Corbyn seizing the means of reproduction

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Failed Imagineer posted:

Actually, that's all water weight: if he doesn't drink at least 20 liters a day, he looks like a stick-insect in a bad blonde wig.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

NewMars posted:

Actually, that's all water weight: if he doesn't drink at least 20 liters a day, he looks like a stick-insect in a bad blonde wig.

‘Water’

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Orbs from space? Like in Moonraker, the '79 hit that came out the same year Thatcherism got its clammy hands on the British state? Not sure how it relates, but I'm certain it does.
Only the free market is capable of producing globes of nerve gas to depopulate earth and replace humanity with a eugenic mix. All the statists are capable of doing is destroying the personal projects of billionaires, breaking the NAP.

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

Failed Imagineer posted:

Why!?

Why do rich Brits have teeth like these? A new set of first class chompers cost like 7000 pounds.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Eschenique posted:

Bootstrap your own teeth Jeremy! I made my own set of 48 out of the best teeth of as many young proles who hadn't had time to wreck them yet.

Only the best for me :mmmsmug:

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Corbyn: "your penis has cost us enough in public funds already"

Her Dryer
Oct 15, 2012

RabidWeasel posted:

It's been fun watching the History of Rome/Revolutions podcast guy get increasingly more left the more he researches things like the Haitian revolution and now the Russian revolution

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Failed Imagineer posted:

His hair's a golden lie
He can't lay a wreath
His hands are on your thigh
He's got Boris Johnson teeth

He'll turn cannon on you
He'll trample you beneath
He's pure as yellow snow
He's got Boris Johnson teeth

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Boris is a finely-honed machine for producing bluster and sweat.

Doubly so if he is on top of you.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

xtothez posted:

Corbyn: "your penis has cost us enough in public funds already"

Corbyn: "If we nationalised your penis, perhaps you might be able to determine how many children you have?"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Eschenique posted:

Why!?

Why do rich Brits have teeth like these? A new set of first class chompers cost like 7000 pounds.

They never interact with anyone who actually cares

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Bwahahaha https://twitter.com/emmadentcoad/status/1196032298505904129

Emma Dent-Coad has referred Sam Gyimah to the police for constantly claiming she caused Grenfell in his campaign. Under the Representation of the Peoples Act that's a crime during an election campaign.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Eschenique posted:

God drat, I looked again at that 'Corbyn has bad teeth lol owned' response and it's just amazing really. It's a great example of a person who likes bullying others going "Corbyn bad, policy dumb, personal attack time!" without any thought at all

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Her Dryer posted:

It's been fun watching the History of Rome/Revolutions podcast guy get increasingly more left the more he researches things like the Haitian revolution and now the Russian revolution

I enjoyed the same thing listening to the dollap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

after some chat and suggestions i thread together a comparison of voter registration against age bands compared to 2017. there's some obvious caveats though
- given how messy the past 6 months have been this doesn't follow the registration pattern of a normal election (...nor did 2017...)
- i had originally aligned by royal assention date, but we have a week less in 2019 to register compared to 2017
- to fix this i've added an altered sheet and graphs for Shift, effectively work from the last day of registration backwards (originally i was going for 4 weeks before royal assention to capture people preparing, thus why it has 49 days of data)
sheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/19BRuYQDh-FmIAOpLVYBIkWoz6Lo7ckuq7euyyVJuqOI/edit?usp=sharing

i went with hardcoded formulas for the to date sections so i'll have to clean those up day-to-day, all data is from https://www.gov.uk/performance/register-to-vote/registrations-by-age-group

overall while voter registrations look better we are in a crunch period from having only 3 weeks from assention compared to 4 in 2017, so don't take the numbers at face value. there's also the issue of last day vote spikes and how pressure on registering to vote needs to happen this week

someone with a better data analysis background check my reasoning, this is just for a rough idea of the differences with data to back it up compared to a random twitter graph

Wiggly Wayne DDS fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Nov 17, 2019