Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
To re-vomit, my 'baseless conjecture' is I'm enjoying this but hope it doesn't have the (once typical) Lindelof touch of a silly cliffhanger ending

If that's so upsetting to read, I would suggest a quick walk and some fresh air

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

To re-vomit, my 'baseless conjecture' is I'm enjoying this but hope it doesn't have the (once typical) Lindelof touch of a silly cliffhanger ending

If that's so upsetting to read, I would suggest a quick walk and some fresh air

please go read my previous post that you definitely missed

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Nah. This thread is way too hostile. Thanks though

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Just tryna to ease your worries bud, but if youd rather be willfully ignorant to the fact that Lost Guy literally specifically said there is no cliffhanger ending, cool.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

AccountSupervisor posted:

Lost Guy ... no cliffhanger ending

Hmmm I seem to have found a contradiction :downs:

Jay-V
Nov 8, 2009

GORDON posted:

I'm getting tired of HBO timeline-out-of-order fuckery.

Just tell it chronologically, godammit.

*whispers* No

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

For fucks sake you guys.

https://www.slashfilm.com/damon-lindelof-watchmen-season-2/

It took them 2 years to make this show and they havent even ordered a second season, let alone begun the preproduction process.

Relax.

Any indication if a second season is likely?

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Rinkles posted:

Any indication if a second season is likely?

Not anything official, but Id imagine this shows success will only really be able to determined once its over and they wont even entertain the idea until its finished.

Its certainly got better viewer ratings than other HBO shows in their 2nd season but I assume its really hard for execs to get a read on the audience on something this unique until its over.

Something like True Detective is an easy anthology to sell as a concept, "mysterious, heady and dark detective show" is a pretty easy structure to adapt. Theres no larger mythology or canon thats part of its basic concept.

Watchmen, if it were to serve as sort of an anthology series, would be much harder to do well Id think. I think itd be really interesting to see a season 2 almost completely divorced from the events of the comic.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I kind of hope the series is similar to Fargo: A pseudo-anthology series with a shared universe. If they do a second season, it would be fun to do one that takes places in the 30s or during World War II.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
I thought the alternate history stuff didn’t really start until Hooded Justice showed up in the 50s. It would be cool to explore vigilantes in other parts of the country in the time since then though

E: nvm I guess the timeline starts earlier than I remembered

Colonel Whitey fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Nov 17, 2019

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Timeless Appeal posted:

I kind of hope the series is similar to Fargo: A pseudo-anthology series with a shared universe. If they do a second season, it would be fun to do one that takes places in the 30s or during World War II.

I would totally watch a Minutemen series, or a Nite Owl I

Colonel Whitey posted:

I thought the alternate history stuff didn’t really start until Hooded Justice showed up in the 50s. It would be cool to explore vigilantes in other parts of the country in the time since then though

E: nvm I guess the timeline starts earlier than I remembered

The big diversions are after Doctor Manhattan but costumed adventurers got started in the 30’s.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

The reason why everyone's being lovely is that you're like the tenth person to come into this thread and point out that Lindelof was part of Lost, which means this show's gonna suck. I think that's an understandable reaction to the disappointment of that show, and people should really be more patient, but if you look back through the thread you'll see it happens every page or two, and everyone's just done with the topic.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
What's funny to me is that Lindelof made The Leftovers with an explicitly anti-Lost vibe: The entire story was based around the idea of there being mysteries with no resolution even promised (the title of the second season's song was literally "Let the mystery be"), instead focusing on how the characters lived in the context of that lack of knowledge and closure.

And even within that story there were some mysteries that were wrapped up (like what happened to the girls and the quarry pool in Season 2), and things that weren't designed to be mysteries at all as much as Lynchian surreal narratives, like when the protagonist has to sing Karaoke in order to be brought back to life, or has to enter a presidential bunker using a specially designed penis scanner. So Lindelof has pretty well demonstrated that he's far from a one-trick pony in terms of mysteries and is, at the very least, much more cognizant of the myriad ways of using mysteries in way that don't require using them solely as a cheap cliffhanger tactic (if that was even within his control for Lost to begin with).

On the other hand, I too like to become very upset over things that happened 14 years ago (Katherine how dare you reject me in 7th grade).

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

hey fellas people are calling this show a mystery box because we still have no idea what the plot is about and details like the names of characters are pointlessly withheld and stretched out

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Xanderkish posted:

What's funny to me is that Lindelof made The Leftovers with an explicitly anti-Lost vibe: The entire story was based around the idea of there being mysteries with no resolution even promised (the title of the second season's song was literally "Let the mystery be"), instead focusing on how the characters lived in the context of that lack of knowledge and closure.

And even within that story there were some mysteries that were wrapped up (like what happened to the girls and the quarry pool in Season 2), and things that weren't designed to be mysteries at all as much as Lynchian surreal narratives, like when the protagonist has to sing Karaoke in order to be brought back to life, or has to enter a presidential bunker using a specially designed penis scanner. So Lindelof has pretty well demonstrated that he's far from a one-trick pony in terms of mysteries and is, at the very least, much more cognizant of the myriad ways of using mysteries in way that don't require using them solely as a cheap cliffhanger tactic (if that was even within his control for Lost to begin with).

On the other hand, I too like to become very upset over things that happened 14 years ago (Katherine how dare you reject me in 7th grade).

Please don't compare Lindelof to Lynch lmao

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Time travel doesn’t follow from her knowing where the meteorite would land. She could have just tracked an object in space with telescopes. Even makes more sense that way as you couldn’t be certain until it hits the atmosphere.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Farm Frenzy posted:

hey fellas people are calling this show a mystery box because we still have no idea what the plot is about and details like the names of characters are pointlessly withheld and stretched out

There is one character we don't know the identity of and we know, at the very least, that he's probably Angela's grandfather from the DNA test? :crossarms:

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Sri.Theo posted:

Time travel doesn’t follow from her knowing where the meteorite would land. She could have just tracked an object in space with telescopes. Even makes more sense that way as you couldn’t be certain until it hits the atmosphere.

Did she fast grow that babby in Veidts clone microwave once the meteorite hit atmosphere?

Xanderkish posted:

to enter a presidential bunker using a specially designed penis scanner.

No mystery there, Justin Theroux has a one of a kind hog :dong:

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Farm Frenzy posted:

it makes it less interesting instead of more interesting

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Farm Frenzy posted:

The plot is a whodunit mystery story about the mysterious death of the Chief of Police seemingly at the hands of a white supremacist organization.

EDIT: I mean we take it for granted that we know the ending of Watchmen. I don't think we conceptualize the story being about "an unhinged superhero trying to solve a conspiracy to murder former heroes and villains" because when you get the ending a lot of the disparate elements like The Black Freighter, Dr. Manhattan's story, the moments at the newsstand, Rorschach's psychologist, and the uneasy complexity of the Comedian and Silk Spectre's relationship don't really fully congeal till the end.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Nov 17, 2019

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Theres a level of paranoid delusion people bring to this show thats been pointed out to be baseless and false practically every single page at this point and its becoming tired.

Theres a difference between criticism and lazy accusations that Google can disprove in like 15 seconds.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
Trieu Detective

....is that anything?

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

"Time is a flacid blue penis"

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Theres a level of paranoid delusion people bring to this show thats been pointed out to be baseless and false practically every single page at this point and its becoming tired.

Theres a difference between criticism and lazy accusations that Google can disprove in like 15 seconds.
Bare in mind, we are talking about comic book fans here, the same sort of fans that say "Snyder's Watchmen movie missed the point of the comic" and then fail to elaborate on what that means but they all agree with the sentiment.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Gorn Myson posted:

Bare in mind, we are talking about comic book fans here, the same sort of fans that say "Snyder's Watchmen movie missed the point of the comic" and then fail to elaborate on what that means but they all agree with the sentiment.
Broad generalities and strawmen aren't really the answer either.

The issue is that most people don't really understand what it's like to work on a production, but there a lot of people who also have a weird need to play inside baseball or have a hot-take. And I don't want to pretend I don't get the appeal of it. I love devouring behind the scenes information and it's fun to have conversations that overthink things. But sometimes it's also fun to just surrender yourself to a piece of fiction, watching it without the need to be smarter or more clever than it.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Timeless Appeal posted:

But sometimes it's also fun to just surrender yourself to a piece of fiction, watching it without the need to be smarter or more clever than it.

My social media dopamine rush is more important than letting art speak for itself, sorry.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Timeless Appeal posted:

Broad generalities and strawmen aren't really the answer either.

The issue is that most people don't really understand what it's like to work on a production, but there a lot of people who also have a weird need to play inside baseball or have a hot-take. And I don't want to pretend I don't get the appeal of it. I love devouring behind the scenes information and it's fun to have conversations that overthink things. But sometimes it's also fun to just surrender yourself to a piece of fiction, watching it without the need to be smarter or more clever than it.
Yeah I know. Its sort of like how Lost was derailed by the actor that played Mr Eko wanting to leave the show (or the idea about a volcano being a significant part of the ending). Or BSG being messed over not just by the writers strike but actors being unavailable and SyFy just generally being dickheads. Or GoT having smaller action scenes that clearly didn't have the budget and/or time to get right. And how about The Leftovers? Clearly cancelled, had to pull itself right back to its basics to land the finale.

But hardcore pedantic comic book nerds can still gently caress right off.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Gorn Myson posted:

Snyder's Watchmen movie missed the point of the comic, instead of being a serialized work of printed sequential art in 1987 it was a series of still images projected in rapid succession to create the illusion of movement in 2009.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Sleeveless posted:

Snyder's Watchmen movie missed the point of the comic, instead of being a serialized work of printed sequential art in 1987 it was a series of still images projected in rapid succession to create the illusion of movement in 2009.

what a hack

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Sleeveless posted:

See this, I like.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

There is one character we don't know the identity of and we know, at the very least, that he's probably Angela's grandfather from the DNA test? :crossarms:

It took ages for the show to confirm that the guy who is almost certainly ozymandias is ozymandias and I don't really think the ambiguity added anything. It just feels like its just there to incite speculation. I'm enjoying lots of the show but this sorta stuff has left me not really invested in what's going on.

Bushido Brown
Mar 30, 2011

Don't understand the notion that Leftovers was abruptly cancelled. You could say they were only given one season to wrap it up, but S3 is pretty self contained.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

Farm Frenzy posted:

It took ages for the show to confirm that the guy who is almost certainly ozymandias is ozymandias and I don't really think the ambiguity added anything. It just feels like its just there to incite speculation. I'm enjoying lots of the show but this sorta stuff has left me not really invested in what's going on.

I don’t understand how anyone ever doubted he was ozymandias. Like, it was announced that actor was cast as Veidt, he was acting like Veidt, and just because he hadn’t put on his silly costume people were speculating it wasn’t him??

I think that “ambiguity” was there because people wanted some Lostish mystery to complain about, it seemed pretty obvious who th character was.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Bushido Brown posted:

Don't understand the notion that Leftovers was abruptly cancelled. You could say they were only given one season to wrap it up, but S3 is pretty self contained.
It wasn't abrupt, The Leftovers was never a big hit and always on the verge of oblivion. But in season 3 it dropped it dropped to 8 episodes and cut the cast from an ensemble to a smaller one (Kevin's kids were barely in it past the first episode). To me that stank of HBO going "you're definitely not going to get a season 4, heres how many episodes you get and heres a budget, work that poo poo out". Credit to them, they did. I loving love The Leftovers, from start to finish.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

beanieson posted:

I don’t understand how anyone ever doubted he was ozymandias. Like, it was announced that actor was cast as Veidt, he was acting like Veidt, and just because he hadn’t put on his silly costume people were speculating it wasn’t him??

I think that “ambiguity” was there because people wanted some Lostish mystery to complain about, it seemed pretty obvious who th character was.

His horse was named after Alexander the Great’s horse. Like, even if they didn’t show the costume yet that’s an Ozymandias-rear end move. The only ambiguity was, like you said, people trying to read ambiguity into it because they figured Lindelof was going to Lost it up.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Honestly, I just took the big Adrian declaration more to service audience members who haven't read the comic. He says his name when his name becomes relevant to the rest of the plot. But plotwise, it's also an assertion. We don't exactly know how Adrian ended up in his prison, but we've caught him as he's breaking out of a sort of complacency and reclaiming his stature. It's the same as referring back to his "I did it.." speech.

Also I don't feel like I actually know if this character is actually Adrian.

Jay-V
Nov 8, 2009
If you're concerned about "mysteries!!! unexplained details!!!!" Just stop watching and come back when all the episodes are out. The OG Watchmen was also a mystery with a lot of unexplained stuff until the final chapter. Also, people forget that it was not originally a trade paperback but 1 issue a month for 12 months — its place in the graphic novel canon was secured after the full story was released. Chapters 1-11 were a fun read, but until the last issue I can imagine similar complaints of "mystery for its own sake!" or "the antagonist's plan is not clear!!"

I'm enjoying watching these episodes as they come out which is why I'm in this thread at all. I myself am reserving final judgment on the quality of the show (both on its own merits and as an adaptation) until the last episode, because I can't fairly judge a story until I see it through to the end. But TBH if you just aren't into a story that withholds some details til later....just binge it after the fact (if you watch it at all). Not that complex honestly.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I have some new guesses.

The meteor last episode was Adrian Veidt escaping his mars prison.
The main black lady is the baby girl that is in the opening of the season during the riots. She is also a clone.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

to answer the question posed by this thread's title, my mid-seventies boomer parents watch and love this poo poo. kinda shocking.

don johnson is like a gateway drugs for olds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Tenzarin posted:

I have some new guesses.

The meteor last episode was Adrian Veidt escaping his mars prison.
The main black lady is the baby girl that is in the opening of the season during the riots. She is also a clone.

I don’t think she’s a clone, that would have come up with the dna testing stuff at the museum.