Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I have some very serious concerns about the structural stability and design of this castle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

parara
Apr 9, 2010
I’m at the fourth gym and reached the second half of the wild area. None of these dens ever have pokemon in them unless I activate it myself with the item. Intended or am I missing something? How are you supposed to earn watts if no pokemon ever spawn?

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
Thanks to Brick Shipment's info, I unlocked IV checking! And the results surprise me. Lots of regular wild caught Pokémon have 1-2 "best" IV stats. I think that ones caught from raids have superior stats, but a lot of them are not from raids. Hmm...

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I kinda like Hop, he's Hau 2.0, but who actually seems to be growing and all. I mean, he's still a giant goober who hilariously thinks that he's on the same level as someone who keeps curbstomping his pokemon every time, but he actually changed his team after being beaten and insulted and now the game's making it pretty clear his journey should be to figure out he needs to stop defining himself as 'the champion's brother' and decide who he wants to be and what he loves about pokemon and all. It doesn't take much, but he seems to have more room to grow than Hau.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

parara posted:

I’m at the fourth gym and reached the second half of the wild area. None of these dens ever have pokemon in them unless I activate it myself with the item. Intended or am I missing something? How are you supposed to earn watts if no pokemon ever spawn?

I noticed that too. And a lot of other people were mentioning it as well. I think the dens are locked via badges. After i got my 5th badge and went back they were active.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Leal posted:

I wanna dunk Hop in a toilet, or as the brits call it, the water closet

The appropriate phrasing would be 'Stuff his head down the bog'.

parara
Apr 9, 2010

SpaceCadetBob posted:

I noticed that too. And a lot of other people were mentioning it as well. I think the dens are locked via badges. After i got my 5th badge and went back they were active.

Oh word that would explain it! Another question: sometimes in the grass I see pokemon walking around with this golden swirl effect around them. Anyone know what this means?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I love how aggressively loving British all the town names are. We've come a long way from [Color] Town when it comes to Pokemon localizations

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

parara posted:

Oh word that would explain it! Another question: sometimes in the grass I see pokemon walking around with this golden swirl effect around them. Anyone know what this means?

faint/catch them and you get watts afterwards

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011
Is G-Max butterfree exclusive to online access or can I encounter it without?

Also can you really not breed hidden abilities now??

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I had real problems with a lot of the leveling move sets the new Pokémon had, but it turns out when you get a bunch of TRs early on for all the good moves that give great coverage the ones you learn when leveling don’t really matter. TRs feel like one of those things you shouldn’t use much if you care about difficulty.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

SpaceCadetBob posted:

That might be a coincidence. I have six badges and 90% of the time there's still nothing going on.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I occasionally get a message saying I received 140 W, what exactly is that?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Larryb posted:

I occasionally get a message saying I received 140 W, what exactly is that?

Watts are a currency used in thre Wild Area to buy items. You're probably getting them randomly from fighting pokemon in the field who have a yellow glow.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Just finished Pokemon Sword after not really reading this thread or reading anything regarding reviews or comments about the game, I went in completely blind and while I enjoyed it, the main feeling I have about the game is that it feels rushed. I don't know how bad the crunch is at Gamefreak (I imagine it's pretty bad regarding their frequency of games) but it definitely showed here.

(Spoilers Ahead)- Re-using art assets, text translation very shakey on your dialog options with missed punctuation and sometimes missing letters, having several moments where the same NPC is in the room twice (Dragon Gym "Challenge"?), or even three times for padding sake (wow the last boss crowd looks very samey), the lack of real explorable areas outside the main places you go for story-line, barely any NPCs which really give much exposition, the obvious huge cutting of story which makes it very confusing near the end because you have absolutely no idea what's going on or the main bad guy's motivation is, then the challenges after the rock gym descends to them running out of ideas or time and it boiling down to reasons to talk to a trainer, fight them, then exit stage left to the gym leader, disappointing.

Nevertheless, it's a Pokemon game which I enjoyed and I feel like a majority of the target audience will enjoy and I definitely recommend it, though if you are hard up on cash and not wanting to spend that price tag, I would wait for the inevitable re-do of the game in the next year or so. Hopefully by then some of the issues with the game get addressed and worked out. Now, time for end game stuff!

Samael fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Nov 17, 2019

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

shotgun sand snake is my surprise favorite out of the new mons

just wish it was dual-type

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

parara posted:

Wait, there’s an item that activates raid dens??

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Scrap Dragon posted:

Wait, there’s an item that activates raid dens??

Yes, it's a rare random sparkly drop or 3000 watt points from the vendors scattered around wild area

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Apparently Copperajah's gmax move doesn't spread Spikes like you might assume from the text, it actually puts down a Steel type analogue to Stealth Rocks. Wild

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Peacoffee posted:

Is there a way to obtain the leek in shield? Because i have a bunch of egg hatched farfetched but they are sans leek

I have a standing offer of a G-Farfetch'd with Leek in exchange for a G-Ponyta. :)

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I really really wish I could sort the Pokedex by new Pokemon and Galaran forms ONLY. I don't give a poo poo that I can catch a Hoothoot or whatever the gently caress. I don't want any Pokemon that aren't new or a Galaran form.

Or at they very least, I wish it put all the old Pokemon after all the new Pokemon in the Pokedex.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I'm pretty sure raids reset between certain time periods (daily?) and when you finish all that are available to you

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
About how early is it possible to get a G-Max Centiskorch? I got a regular one really easily back on route 3, but I'd prefer to be rolling into the champ fight with a really big bug, if I can.

Also is G-Max a trait that can be passed on by breeding? Or can you only ever get them from a max raid?

edit:

Zore posted:

G max can't be passed on

Ah alright, thanks

THE FUCKING MOON fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Nov 17, 2019

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ziEoPwvWxM

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

THE loving MOON posted:

About how early is it possible to get a G-Max Centiskorch? I got a regular one really easily back on route 3, but I'd prefer to be rolling into the champ fight with a really big bug, if I can.

Also is G-Max a trait that can be passed on by breeding? Or can you only ever get them from a max raid?

G max can't be passed on

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

The Exp candies are such a great addition to the game, goddamn. I went back and got a Hatenna and then popped on over to a raid and picked up some candies and she's nearly caught up with my team. I hope they never get rid of this mechanic going forward

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Macaluso posted:

I hope they never get rid of this mechanic going forward

well now you've jinxed it

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Brother Entropy posted:

well now you've Jynx'd it

:colbert:

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Re: raid talk, if you clear out all the ones available to you they reset

Also just finished Spikemuth and wow, that and the story bear right after it were really really bad

Enjoying everything else so far though, other than the obvious issues

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Don't speak ill of the dead.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

The ai trainers really suck and it's very hard to find people for the max raids considering everyone is trying to get in one. Finally found a guy and he's gonna use electric type against this rock monster. Noice

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Is Cramorant with a Pikachu in its mouth supposed to be rare, because only once have I seen it with the fish. It's been Pikachu every single other time.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Haven't finished, but I'm close (Two gyms to go)! Impressions so far

Good:
Wild Area: About as open world as pokemon can get, and really shakes things up a bit. I spent a good hour in it the first time.
Leveling Curve: talks of over leveling unfounded. I'm sticking to trainers only, and it's challenging!
New mons: I love my punk rock lizard
Gym format: I feel they took the best parts of trials from SuMo and the best of traditional gyms and merged the two.
Encounter design: I like overworld mons coupled with traditional in grass only mons. Also neutering cave and on water encounter rates is good.
Team Yell: instead of being bad guys, they're simply over zealous fans.
Tutorial skipping: do I need to say more?

Bad:
Wild area with internet on: not sure if it's the engine or the hardware but it chokes. Runs fine in solo. Caveat: only tried in handheld mode.

Neutral:
the story: it's a pokemon story so far. Not expecting hard hitting writing anyway.
Hop: Hau 2.0 is right, but I think Hau is better.
No more ride pokemon, namely the shortcuts for them: I miss being able to hit a button to access fly. Still balanced by the removal of HMs.

All subject to change, naturally.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Been slowballing this, only now got past the first gym. But Oh My loving God the Eevee/Pikachu trainer kids are so adorable I'm gonna die. The best part is they emulate their respective pokemon's attacking moves when their pokemon attacks. I was trying to describe them to a friend but I'm not good at it and can't find any pictures or animations of them, especially the Eevee kids which are so cute I think I'm gonna go into diabetic shock if I have to fight another one.

The little parts where Gamefreak actually did put effort into the animation shines like crazy. Just wish they had cleaned up some of the half-assed stuff like Doublekick.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
I don't know how you people aren't over leveled. I catch maybe 1 of half the pokes in each route and fight the trainers and my pokes have been at least 1 level above the gym leader's pokes and that's with me swapping poo poo in and out constantly.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I don't know how you people aren't over leveled. I catch maybe 1 of half the pokes in each route and fight the trainers and my pokes have been at least 1 level above the gym leader's pokes and that's with me swapping poo poo in and out constantly.

It gets worse farther in the game. Early on only the gyms give you trouble, but I just cleared gym 6 without ever letting the leader get a move off. I've been avoiding trainers, switching party pokemon, and running from most wild encounters. Real sick of almost every gym trainer having one Pokemon, too.

Upside is I've managed to sneak into some cool raids and got at least one Gmax mon. I'm really curious as to the difficulty of 5 star raids. In an interview they said they'd be "very challenging" but frankly three star raids are impossible to lose at the moment, so I'm wondering how that'll change as we go up.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I think my challenge is coming down to team comp. I had no hard counters to the ghost gym, and the dynamax mon of the Ice Gym nearly iced me :dadjoke:

I'm also going out of my way to avoid wild mons.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

iospace posted:

I'm also going out of my way to avoid wild mons.

SAme. Running is faster than watching animations play out.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Wait, there's a Gigantamax Farfetch'd?

E: never mind, - - farfetched is galarian, not gigantamax

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Zodack posted:

Upside is I've managed to sneak into some cool raids and got at least one Gmax mon. I'm really curious as to the difficulty of 5 star raids. In an interview they said they'd be "very challenging" but frankly three star raids are impossible to lose at the moment, so I'm wondering how that'll change as we go up.

The difficulty is multifaceted:

1. Finding other people to actually do it with you because the matchmaking is non-existent
2. Eventually giving up on finding other players and so doing them with AI partners that spend every turn doing nonsense moves that achieve nothing

Both make for a real challenge!