Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Stultus Maximus posted:

If you read the whole thing, there is a significant portion dedicated to how the Framers intended to create a strong Executive branch and that Congress has usurped the President's power.

:ughh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Ok so I’m not the most well versed in US History so I’m probably stating the most obvious thing here and outing myself as a complete idiot, or maybe him saying that broke my brain...

But isn’t that a direct contradiction of one of the very reason the US wanted independence?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
It’s a classic Karl Rove tactic of attacking your enemy where you are weakest, even if it’s wrong and makes no sense.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
After the articles of confederation failed they did act to make a stronger federal government but oh man is he stretching that idea.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

mlmp08 posted:

It’s a classic Karl Rove tactic of attacking your enemy where you are weakest, even if it’s wrong and makes no sense.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_lie

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
https://twitter.com/ur_ninja/status/1195947063990771715

https://twitter.com/ur_ninja/status/1195950809097347072

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp

Some primo av material in those tweets

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

ASCII skeletons saying to “be gay, do crimes!”

I just can’t do this right now, loving :laffo:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/RachelRGonzalez/status/1195766370010464256

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

colachute posted:

Ok so I’m not the most well versed in US History so I’m probably stating the most obvious thing here and outing myself as a complete idiot, or maybe him saying that broke my brain...

But isn’t that a direct contradiction of one of the very reason the US wanted independence?

There's a bit of bait and switch going on. A unitary executive within the executive is a good thing and is well established and not controversial. Stated another way, there should not be externally enforced checks and balances within the executive branch.

What Barr is trying to do is to port the idea of the unitary executive outside the executive branch and have the unitary executive control/overpower the other two branches of government, which is absolutely not established and is very controversial. Checks and balances between the three branches of government is one of those foundational to the US idea of government things.

Barr must feel that the country has reached a tipping point of conservative power that it can't return from, to now come out so fully and unabashedly for making the legislature and judiciary subservient to the executive.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

The dumbest timeline just won't relent

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

joat mon posted:

There's a bit of bait and switch going on. A unitary executive within the executive is a good thing and is well established and not controversial. Stated another way, there should not be externally enforced checks and balances within the executive branch.

What Barr is trying to do is to port the idea of the unitary executive outside the executive branch and have the unitary executive control/overpower the other two branches of government, which is absolutely not established and is very controversial. Checks and balances between the three branches of government is one of those foundational to the US idea of government things.

Barr must feel that the country has reached a tipping point of conservative power that it can't return from, to now come out so fully and unabashedly for making the legislature and judiciary subservient to the executive.

But it can't happen here!

Narrator: It happened here.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Estu gaja, faru krimojn!

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Icon Of Sin posted:

ASCII skeletons saying to “be gay, do crimes!”

Fess up yall which goon did this?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

joat mon posted:

I don't know, isn't the independence of the Department of Justice supposed to be a check and balance within the executive branch that everyone agrees on?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Defenestrategy posted:

Fess up yall which goon did this?

It came from yospos

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

https://twitter.com/RollingStone/status/1196121260612358146?s=20

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

A fat dictator who only got where he was because his daddy left him everything, and Kim Jong Un.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

The police are killing protesters in Bolivia now, and there are reports the new "president" (leader of the opposition party who is no where near the legitimate line of secession) has authorized lethal force.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

https://twitter.com/TedraCobb/status/1195832670871334912?s=20

Happier news, Elise Stefanik stirred up a hornet's nest w/ her impeachment hearing stunt, and now her Democratic challenger is getting huge donations/press out of it.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Stultus Maximus posted:

I don't know, isn't the independence of the Department of Justice supposed to be a check and balance within the executive branch that everyone agrees on?

The justice department’s opinion that they cannot criminally investigate the president seems counter to that though.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Flying_Crab posted:

https://twitter.com/TedraCobb/status/1195832670871334912?s=20

Happier news, Elise Stefanik stirred up a hornet's nest w/ her impeachment hearing stunt, and now her Democratic challenger is getting huge donations/press out of it.

Missed that part, what was her stunt?

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

That Works posted:

Missed that part, what was her stunt?

Early in the hearing, she talked during Nunes/staff lawyer-only time, a clear breach of pre-approved rules. Schiff brought down the hammer on her to stop breaking the rules, so she/Nunes got all pissy and took it to Twitter/Fox News, saying she got muzzled.

An obvious, dumb, gaslightly stunt because she later got to ask her dumb questions and also didn't even use up all of her allotted time. It was a dumb thing to get the Foxies yelling about SCHIFF MUZZLED A WOMAN OMG HE HATES WOMEM.

Btw womem isn't a typo, that's from a Trump tweet in support of Pam Bondi today.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Best Friends posted:

The police are killing protesters in Bolivia now, and there are reports the new "president" (leader of the opposition party who is no where near the legitimate line of secession) has authorized lethal force.

Hong Kong police also threatening to use live ammo after an officer was shot with an arrow (insert Skyrim reference here).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-50452277

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Stultus Maximus posted:

It's one of those decorum/tradition/adult in the room things.
Those are internal controls/ internal checks and balances that the executive has always placed on itself.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
I've been told that I'm not doing enough to make people aware, so in the spirit of GIP I'm going to wildly overreact and post this same message in all the active threads.

Another run of Useless Dirt shirts is being put together. Deadline to order is 11:59 PM Eastern time tomorrow.

Info is here

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

McNally posted:

I've been told that I'm not doing enough to make people aware, so in the spirit of GIP I'm going to wildly overreact and post this same message in all the active threads.

Another run of Useless Dirt shirts is being put together. Deadline to order is 11:59 PM Eastern time tomorrow.

Info is here

Go gently caress yourself, McNally.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Riot Carol Danvers posted:

:h:

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

McNally posted:

Info is here

:justpost:

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Best Friends posted:

No coup, no coup, you're the coup :colbert:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

facialimpediment posted:

Early in the hearing, she talked during Nunes/staff lawyer-only time, a clear breach of pre-approved rules. Schiff brought down the hammer on her to stop breaking the rules, so she/Nunes got all pissy and took it to Twitter/Fox News, saying she got muzzled.

An obvious, dumb, gaslightly stunt because she later got to ask her dumb questions and also didn't even use up all of her allotted time. It was a dumb thing to get the Foxies yelling about SCHIFF MUZZLED A WOMAN OMG HE HATES WOMEM.

Btw womem isn't a typo, that's from a Trump tweet in support of Pam Bondi today.

Wasn’t her question part of the “but how about Biden’s crimes?” Line of attack too?

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

New avatar test

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

ElMaligno posted:

New avatar test

You didn't even get the text in Spanish. Foh clown.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

The forums hated the unicode of the accurate spanish version.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Riot Carol Danvers posted:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Chichevache posted:

You didn't even get the text in Spanish. Foh clown.

¡Se Gay!
¡Haz el Crimen!

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

What the gently caress, how the gently caress, etc etc etc

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Chichevache posted:

¡Se Gay!
¡Haz Crimen!

Fixed

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

I quoted it directly from the image, you dolt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Chichevache posted:

I quoted it directly from the image, you dolt.

Spanish is my primary language you gringo.