Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
AITA for putting my foot down and not letting my pregnant wife have a home birth?

quote:

I'll just get right into it. So this has been a point of contention for us for a bit now and I need some outside perspective to see if i'm wrong..

My wife is stay-at-home and she's 29 weeks pregnant with our 2nd. We're super excited and can't wait for the little booger to come along. Since she got pregnant again, she joined a mommy Facebook group for our area and I guess she's been talking to people who've got her convinced on home births. So the first time she brought it up, I expressed my opinion that I don't think it would be the best idea. As someone who used to be a nurse, I've seen wayyyyyyy too many peri-partum code blues and omega's for me to be comfortable with this. It's honestly insane how quickly things can go wrong whilst giving birth. Regardless, she wasn't convinced but we parked the discussion for a later time.

Recently she's started bringing up the topic again. Today, we went back and forth for a bit, until I finally had enough and I said something along the lines of, Look, I can't allow you to use our money to do this. We can go to the hospital and give birth for free (we have universal healthcare in our country) whilst having access to excellent doctors, instead of having to pay around 8000 dollars for a midwife to do this for us. On top of that, we also live 30 minutes from a hospital and that's quite a while for an ambulance to come and take her to the hospital and poo poo can very quickly hit the fan in that time.

Before I go any further I want to say that I have no illusions about my money vs her money; even though I am the "sole provider", every single one of our bank accounts are jointly owned and further to that, we have a rule that if it's any expense or purchase over $200 then both of us have to be on board with it. Even if its just buying a new phone, or if the grocery bill was too expensive then we don't buy it until the other OK's it. And we can definitely afford the midwife, I just don't see the point in having one if we can get actual doctors for free.

Her points basically boil down to me trying to control her with money and that since she's the one giving birth then I should have no say in the matter.

I wouldn't say this is a huge argument but it's definitely a point of contention. AITA?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I have heard of couples who are together for 10+ years who get married and divorce after like three months.

Yeah but I'm willing to bet those couples weren't living together, doing everything together, getting mortgages together etc.

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420
The longer I (15F) stay, the more I hate her (14F)

quote:

I know we’re kids. I know we’re really young, and relationships are normal, but i’m being absolutely suffocated by my girlfriend and I don’t know what to do. She’s clingy and dependent and NEEDS me of all people- an apathetic recluse- to literally not kill herself, and no matter what I do, she won’t let me go. She talks of marriage and potential sex in the future and I have no choice but to agree because if I don’t she’ll be upset. She says that this isn’t just a highschool fling, and that she’s in love with me, but I can’t loving take it because I don’t want a relationship. I care for her deeply; but I don’t love her. I just want to be by myself but she won’t let me, because I “saved her from herself,” and she “wants me and only me.” She won’t let me go. I don’t know what to do.

Every time she says my name I get agitated. Every time she texts me again and again and again and again and cries when I don’t respond in a minute I get angrier. Every time she says “hey” in a needy, high-pitched voice, I want to scream. Every goddamn time she begs for my attention I feel ill and, admittedly, homicidal.

I’ve tried talking to her- I really have. I’ve tried telling her that I don’t want a relationship, that i’m tired, that i’m not the right person to be in love with, that I can’t handle it, that I don’t want a future, she cries and self-depreciates and threatens her life, and just drags me back in again. Even if I manage to cut things off permanently, we go to a small-as-gently caress alternative school with only 2 other freshmen and won’t be able to avoid eachother. The ONE GODDAMN DAY I tried to break up with her, she cried the entire day and passed me at least 9 notes begging me, and I had no choice but to apologize.

I’m angry and suffocating and I don’t know what to do. I’m sorry if this is too much- I just don’t know where else to go. I want to know any possible solution I have, because talking won’t do anything.

Thank you in advance if you can provide advice.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
The only thing I can think of is she had a surprise abortion, recent sexual assault, or other trauma that she never told OP about, yeah. Otherwise it makes no sense that she immediately turned him down, then jetted off to be with her family and told absolutely no one what was actually going on, including the hospital she works at as a pediatrician... unless she's one of those meticulously crazy people who has to stick to a certain plan in her head and can never deviate from it, and marrying OP not her own terms blew it all up. I dunno. It's so weird.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Pinecone Sample posted:

Run away. Do not walk, run. This kid can see that poo poo is going to escalate, and the fact that this girl is using “it you leave I’ll off myself” as blackmail material already is super hosed.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Run away. Do not walk, run. This kid can see that poo poo is going to escalate, and the fact that this girl is using “it you leave I’ll off myself” as blackmail material already is super hosed.

she needs to talk to her parents about transferring schools, even though that’s not fair at all. she is going to have to deal with literally constant emotional manipulation if she stays. there are 5 people in her class, including her and her “girlfriend”

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
It’s definitely guilt of some kind. Could be from cheating, could be from having mentally checked out of the relationship and being forced to face it, or could be for realizing she hates the idea of marrying the guy and not really knowing why.

Pinecone Sample posted:

To quote the excellent latest season of Bojack Horseman, that’s not a relationship; that’s a hostage situation.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I have heard of couples who are together for 10+ years who get married and divorce after like three months.

Marriage does something to people's brains where they expect to wake up and have a completely different life and relationship dynamic and are completely shocked when nothing changes.

Its always "Oh it'll change once we're married" referring to everything from work, mix gender relationships, hobbies, leisure time, spending etc.

There's a great YouTube video about divorce lawyers talking about divorce and they say the biggest issue they see from people is going in to a marriage and expecting major changes from their partner.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

fauna posted:

it's a curse

No it's not, those are the best kinds of men.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

My [26M] GF [25F] is mad at me for spending money on clothes

quote:

Throwaway, sorry for any spelling errors, I am on mobile.

My girlfriend, Ann, and I have been dating for a year. It’s a nice relationship and we are with each other almost every day. It’s amazing.

On thing we can’t agree on is clothing. Ann loves cheap clothes: she regularly goes to Primark and comes back with 2 bags full of clothes and make-up.

I don’t shop a lot but I like to invest in quality. I get my jeans tailored to my size because I prefer it that way. I buy 2 pairs of jeans a year but I’ve been keeping this up for 3 years and it starts to become a nice collection of jeans.

Once a year I spend money on a real brand name: 2 years ago I bought a blazer from Lagerfeld (200 euro, which was very cheap actually). This year I have my eyes set on a suit from Zadig & Voltaire. A few months ago the suit was at 800 euro, but with mid-season sales it’s now at around 500 euro. I saved money for it and bought it (It took me 6 months to decide).

The money that I spend is money I put aside for personal things. My girlfriend does the same but she goes to Primark every month and spends her money there.

She has been very upset with me for ‘wasting my money’. How she thinks it’s way too expensive and how I look overdressed next to her.

She hasn’t spoken to me in a week.

What should I do?

Tl;dr: GF does not agree with me spending money on designer clothes and doesn’t want to speak to me. How to react?

I have a feeling there's more to it than just the suit.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Pinecone Sample posted:

Freshman and Sophomores are very different beasts to begin with, but oi this particular girl.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

500 euros is not a bad deal for a 5 piece suit, I hear.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

WIBTA if I told my sister to move her “makeshift” taser to somewhere I can’t reach
u/Amithemegaass13h

quote:

Throwaway because drat

My dad and sister just made a goddamn taser using a wood stick and some electric power generator or something and I didn’t think much of it, just a defense weapon in case of a invasion but then I hear the word “Heart attack” and I was terrified not because I can’t trust my sister but because I have a sleep walking problem. Just last night I woke up punching my couch. I wanted to ask her this but she still thinks I just use my sleep walking problem to eat her food because I did it once before years ago

WIBTA?

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Pinecone Sample posted:

It doesn't really make sense to read it that way to me. I think there are just 2 sentences one after the other that are happening contemporaneously.
Or he was conflicted, stuck between hating her for the affair and wanting to stay together to be a "healthy family for the kid". Takes the dude a while -- maybe it feels like a year to her, maybe it was a year, who knows, it was a while ago -- but he finally decides to make the most of it until the kid is out of the house.

The only part of the story not really passing the sniff test is the distinct lack of passive-aggressive sniping, alcohol abuse, and sordid affairs after the decision to resign oneself to staying together "because it's better this way"

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

WIBTA if I told my sister to move her “makeshift” taser to somewhere I can’t reach
u/Amithemegaass13h

Sister should marry that lady who pranked her husband by shocking him wire exposed wires from an outlet.

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420
Am I [26F] allowed for still being upset that my ex [27M] tells people I cheated on him?

quote:

Throwaway.

I dated Tom for 4 years and we broke up a year ago.

A year ago Tom got messages of someone saying I cheated on him and screenshots of my Bumble account and old Tinder account. The Bumble account was one I used as a joke,nothing serious.

Tom got really upset and accused me of cheating, I was hurt and said we needed a monogamous break, meaning we could not kiss or hook-up with someone else.

A few days later I went to a bachelor party and hooked up with a guy. It was a mistake but it was kind off Tom’s fault, he made me so sad and I didn’t know how to react.

When I came back and told Tom, who had come to pick me up, he cried. I told him that this is what he deserved because he said that I cheated on him.

I told him we could continue our relationship if I was allowed to hook-up with other people. Again he cried.

I left and a few months later moved in with the guy I hooked up with.

This relationship ended and I reached out to a mutual friend Tom and I had, appearantly, he told everyone I cheated on him.

This upsets me a lot because I maybe wasn’t perfect but I don’t feel that I cheated. I reached out to Tom but he ignored me.

Tl;dr: Am I allowed to be upset by my ex who told everyone that I cheated on him?

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Pinecone Sample posted:

Am I [26F] allowed for still being upset that my ex [27M] tells people I cheated on him?

lol this lady is delusional

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Pinecone Sample posted:

a "monogamous break" otherwise known as a relationship

How many of the really lovely ones like this are redpill bait anyway? none of them (at least no obvious ones) in the responses to this so far but jesus there are a lot of posts that just so coincidentally get brigaded

Mister Olympus fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Nov 17, 2019

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Pinecone Sample posted:

A few days later I went to a bachelor party and hooked up with a guy. It was a mistake but it was kind off Tom’s fault, he made me so sad and I didn’t know how to react.

When I came back and told Tom, who had come to pick me up, he cried. I told him that this is what he deserved because he said that I cheated on him.

It's truly amazing how cheaters manage to accuse their victim as the responsible party 99% of the time(the other 1% see nothing wrong with it at all)

Mister Olympus posted:

a "monogamous break" otherwise known as a relationship

"I need to break up with you for a while, but we're not allowed to see someone else!"

Immediately sees someone else. Good old royal we in action.

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

Mister Olympus posted:

How many of the really lovely ones like this are redpill bait anyway?

Most of them I hope. Its got the textbook abuser “look what you made me do” thing going

dads friend steve fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Nov 17, 2019

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

fauna posted:

i only ever fall in love with gay men and dead men

Forever friendzoned. :gbsmith:

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
AITA for insulting a customer at my dad’s restaurant for making unsolicited suggestions about my hair?
I (F 22) work part time at my father’s restaurant/deli as a cashier while I’m in school. I’m mixed, so my natural hair is very thick and curly textured and since I stopped keeping it in a protective style, I like to where it out in a semi Afro. One day, a frequent customer (an old man, probably around 70) says, “you are such a pretty girl, you shouldn’t wear your hair like that. You’d look much better if you went to a salon and gotten it straightened out”. I said back to him “maybe you should have some hair before you comment about mine”. He’s old, so he’s a bit bald. He called me rude and nasty, then flagged down my dad about it. I got in trouble but I refused to apologize. My dad has also commented on my hair before. I told the customer, “I’m not trying to make it about race but my dad is an older white guy as well, and I’m not white. My hair will never be straight unless I flat iron it”. But I’m not apologizing and I don’t feel bad about saying what I said.

iustorum_anime
Apr 4, 2016

I [28 M] found out that my fiancee [27 F] and her family disowned her younger sister [23 F] for getting cochlear implants

quote:

I've been together with my fiancee for four years and we are currently set to get married this summer. I have trouble thinking of any major issues we have had in our time together prior to this incident and we have lived together during very personal stressful times (grad school and a cancer scare on my end), so I think that meant something.

She is adopted, and I thought her family [54 M, 53 F, 24 M, 22 M] was wonderful. I don't have a family and hers was incredibly welcoming to me and seemed like fantastic people. Her and all her siblings are adopted (two from the same family) and all are Deaf, including parents. They consider themselves part of the deaf community and it is very important to them.

I suffer from moderate hearing loss I received as an adult following a traumatic brain injury, and she is Deaf. We actually met shortly after I first lost my hearing and was still dealing with the adjustment and she helped me a lot during the transition.

Last weekend her and I visited her home for the weekend, and she went a day earlier than me. When I came the next day I instantly noticed that everyone there was in a horrible mood. I asked my fiancee why and she told me that her sister had tried visiting the day before.

She had mentioned that she had a younger sister who she hadn't seen for five years who the family didn't have contact with. She never went into details about it, and I interpreted the situation with the small info I got that her sister was a drug addict who refused to get better.

This wasn't the case. The day after my fiancee gave me a clearer picture of the story. Basically her sister expressed interest in getting cochlear implants and the family shut her down on it, and she went ahead and began the process herself when she turned eighteen and the family (my fiancee included) decided that they were no longer going to consider her part of the family or speak to her. When she came to visit and try to fix things they shut her out again.

I knew that her and her family were generally not fond of cochlear implants but not to this degree. Long story short I'm absolutely DISGUSTED with this behavior and I have no idea how to respond. I did a pretty bad job of hiding how repulsed I was by this and how much it threw me off and I left early after making a bad excuse that I needed to leave. I understand that the implants themselves are a contentious issue to the DC and even though I disagree I can understand the viewpoint and see it as legitimate, but to do what they did literally makes me want to vomit. She has zero regret over her choice.

I feel like I have no idea who she or her family is anymore. If we had a kid did something she disagreed with would she DISOWN them like this? It's so callous, I literally have trouble saying that I feel any love for her at all right now. She called me multiple times trying to "soften" the story up (I think she expected me to take her side?) and make herself seem better but it still sounds awful even with her prettying it up. How could it not?

TL;DR: My Deaf fiancee and her family disowned her younger sister who tried to get (and eventually got, but after the fact) cochlear implants. They don't regret it at all and it's such a horrible mark on her character I'm seriously considering calling off the marriage and ending our relationship.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

chemtrail huffer posted:

I [28 M] found out that my fiancee [27 F] and her family disowned her younger sister [23 F] for getting cochlear implants

I think the problem is, that he now has a VERY good idea who they are.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

chemtrail huffer posted:

They don't regret it at all and it's such a horrible mark on her character I'm seriously considering calling off the marriage and ending our relationship.

You definitely should. That is incredibly hosed up of them.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!
I'm a little behind but daaaaamn, that 16-year sham marriage guy is cold.

Think about all the benefits he got out of that poo poo show: no child support, no child care costs, a woman who was desperate to get back on his good side that he could regularly gently caress and she probably also did most or all of the household cleaning and chores. Then at the end of it, when there's no danger of him having to give anybody money, he leaves her destitute, with an empty resume and past her best years to have children.

This is strongly reminding me of an episode of some old b&w anthology show (Twilight Zone or Alfred Hitchcock Presents, maybe). Anybody know what I'm talking about? My memory is hazy, but I think a woman betrayed a man in some way, then he acted like he forgave her and helped her build a beautiful life and get back on top of things again. The last scene was him asking her if she was happy, and she was--the happiest she'd ever been--and then he reminded her of the betrayal and...killed her? I think? I mostly remember that he was very clear that he waited till she was happy before he hosed her over.

artsy fartsy fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Nov 17, 2019

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

chemtrail huffer posted:

It's good that you found this out now instead of later when you tried to encourage your own kid to get a wicked dope ear implant shaped like a gramophone horn. I can't stand people that discriminate against cyborgs and augmentators. Why deny the weakness of the flesh? Why avoid the power of stainless steel and carbon fiber? Bioelectrical advances have enabled us to leave behind the primitive trappings of bioelectrochemistry. We can see farther, run faster, and take more drugs than ever before. :sever: from these luddites and embrace the advancements that are on offer for you.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Disowning my daughter for getting glasses brb

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
We were on a breeaak

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

artsy fartsy posted:

Think about all the benefits he got out of that poo poo show: no child support, no child care costs.

What? Kids are free if you stick together?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Admiral Ray posted:

It's good that you found this out now instead of later when you tried to encourage your own kid to get a wicked dope ear implant shaped like a gramophone horn. I can't stand people that discriminate against cyborgs and augmentators. Why deny the weakness of the flesh? Why avoid the power of stainless steel and carbon fiber? Bioelectrical advances have enabled us to leave behind the primitive trappings of bioelectrochemistry. We can see farther, run faster, and take more drugs than ever before. :sever: from these luddites and embrace the advancements that are on offer for you.

Capital D- Deaf culture is really insular and sees things like cochlear implants as a way to erase them. They’re really against giving their kids a way to work around their handicap if it makes them different from them.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

datajugend posted:

She was a stay at home mom, so no need to pay for child care, which would probably have happened if they divorced and she was working

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

datajugend posted:

Apparently you weren't around for Reagan

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Welfare_queen

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

artsy fartsy posted:

I'm a little behind but daaaaamn, that 16-year sham marriage guy is cold.

Think about all the benefits he got out of that poo poo show: no child support, no child care costs

Do you...do you think if a parent lives in the same house as a child money to pay for their needs just falls out of the sky?

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Capital D- Deaf culture is really insular and sees things like cochlear implants as a way to erase them. They’re really against giving their kids a way to work around their handicap if it makes them different from them.
It's not like cochlear implants are magic and there can be disadvantages to them, but yeah, it's treated as erasing Deaf people.

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

She was a stay at home mom, so no need to pay for child care, which would probably have happened if they divorced and she was working

Wait she was? I must have missed that. Choosing to be a stay at Home mom for 16 years after he says he is only in this for the kid, thats a drat big gamble

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

On the other hand he was paying for her living costs, and all of the kid's, and from her account she was happy enough in the relationship that he wasn't overtly controlling with money or her time. I really doubt he derived financial benefit from this over breaking up in his early 20s with what was almost certainly low income and having to pay child support. He's almost certainly going to have to give her half their savings too, or close to it. Not putting a ring on it doesn't absolve him of financial responsibility.

That doesn't mean what he did wasn't hosed up emotionally, and it's possible they both ended up worse off financially too.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

datajugend posted:

Yes, exactly! :downs:

For real though, if they had broken up right after the cheating incident he'd potentially on the hook for child support, and if they split custody of the child he'd have to work out some kind of childcare during the times when he was at work. He'd also have to do his own household chores, or hire someone to do them for him.

He didn't stay in that marriage for the sake of the kid. That's what he told her, and maybe that's even what he told himself, but he really stayed because he wanted to punish her as much as possible. Splitting up, giving her part of his paycheck every month and her potentially moving on and finding happiness with someone else wasn't punishment. He strung her along, used her for sex and childcare and dumped her the very day it was convenient for him to do so.

(I am making some assumptions here--maybe he begged her to get a full-time job or go back to school after the kid was a little older and she just refused--but you have to fill in some of the gaps in these stories since we almost never get both sides.)

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

Joe Bogan posted:

Do you...do you think if a parent lives in the same house as a child money to pay for their needs just falls out of the sky?

Sorry, when I said "child care costs" I meant hiring a babysitter or putting the kid in daycare. I understand that can get real pricey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

On the other hand he was paying for her living costs, and all of the kid's, and from her account she was happy enough in the relationship that he wasn't overtly controlling with money or her time. I really doubt he derived financial benefit from this over breaking up in his early 20s with what was almost certainly low income and having to pay child support. He's almost certainly going to have to give her half their savings too, or close to it. Not putting a ring on it doesn't absolve him of financial responsibility.

That doesn't mean what he did wasn't hosed up emotionally, and it's possible they both ended up worse off financially too.

yeah I think what he did was hosed up and she can probably get support from him now even though they weren’t married, I was just clarifying what I thought was meant by “no childcare costs”