Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
tell them no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon
Chances are that if the family has never used the smoker they were given, they have no clues as to what's involved and how much time it takes. If you explain it, maybe they'll back off.

But if you really want to do it - do you need to fly? If you could drive and therefore control how the bird is keeping, you could smoke it where you are, then double bag and put it in one of those styro boxes with the really tight fitting lids, and dry ice it (or even regular ice) while you travel.

I took a bunch of delicate family-recipe pies across country once like that, checking seals and replenishing the ice every time I stopped at a motel for the night.

(Those more familiar with smoked turkey may say this won't work - I have no direct knowledge of smoked turkey, so listen to them not me if they say this is a Not Good Idea.)

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

TofuDiva posted:

listen to them not me if they say this is a Not Good Idea.)

Trust me we tried

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I have come into possession of a beef heart.

Current plan is to cut the chambers up into flat and broad slices, cut off the fat for tallow, filet off the silverskin and tendons, and reverse sear the flat and broad slices as if they were just thin flat steaks. Or I guess, now that I think about it, maybe flash-sear as-is in a cast iron pan since they're so thin.

Is there a better/more suitable option for beef heart? Am I screwed if I don't have a filet knife?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
Heart works better as a low and slow cut imo

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

bob dobbs is dead posted:

Gotcha, I was under the impression that being really lean it'd take to quick and screaming hot. So something like a stew, then? Pressure cooked or braised for 3-4 hours?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Just spatchcock and roast it. It won't take long and it'll be fine. You're trying to force something.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
Low and slow is for connective tissues, including fat. Heart is supposed to have little fat, but lots of connective tissue

Braise the thing whole if you want a weird centerpiece, but otherwise just normal braising, it's pretty forgiving. Slow roast also works

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

OTOH, heart is also amazing as kbbq. Slice thin and grill on the surface of the sun.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
Korean BBQ is a symptom of our national complete lack of patience

Every cut goes fast if you cut it thin enough. Brisket, jowls, heart, belly, intestine...

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Every cut goes fast if you cut it thin enough. Brisket, jowls, heart, belly, intestine...

You say that like it's a bad thing almost

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Nephzinho posted:

Just spatchcock and roast it. It won't take long and it'll be fine. You're trying to force something.

Alright, how about this?

- Cut off the fat and silverskin on the outside of the heart.
- Cut off the membrane, valves, and tendons on the inside of the heart.
- Season the heart with salt and pepper.
- Tie the heart back together with some butcher's string.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Once oven is hot, place tied-together heart on small rack in cast iron pan.
- Place in oven, and roast for 60 minutes or until internal temperature of heart meat is 160 140 degrees F.
- Remove and cool before slicing.

I'll see how this goes.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Nov 17, 2019

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon
Hey one last thought on smoked turkey: what if you did two or three turkey breasts instead of a whole bird? You could fit those in a carry-on. Just a thought.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

T-givs question unrelated to smoking a turkey and declaring it in customs: what's the best way to make gravy the night before in a slow cooker or instant pot using the neck, spine and giblets?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Pollyanna posted:

Alright, how about this?

- Cut off the fat and silverskin on the outside of the heart.
- Cut off the membrane, valves, and tendons on the inside of the heart.
- Season the heart with salt and pepper.
- Tie the heart back together with some butcher's string.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Once oven is hot, place tied-together heart on small rack in cast iron pan.
- Place in oven, and roast for 60 minutes or until internal temperature of heart meat is 160 140 degrees F.
- Remove and cool before slicing.

I'll see how this goes.

You'd better tie up some bacon in there unless you want a heart that's tougher than shoe leather. Heart needs additional fat and moisture.

For my money, I find that heart does best adding serious beefiness to things like chili or beef stew.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Bluedeanie posted:

T-givs question unrelated to smoking a turkey and declaring it in customs: what's the best way to make gravy the night before in a slow cooker or instant pot using the neck, spine and giblets?

Make stock in the instant pot with the bits. Once the turkey’s finished roasting, separate the juice from the fat, use the rendered fat to make a roux, then add back stock and the reserved juices. This is what I do and it’s the best way to make gravy imo.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

You'd better tie up some bacon in there unless you want a heart that's tougher than shoe leather. Heart needs additional fat and moisture.

For my money, I find that heart does best adding serious beefiness to things like chili or beef stew.

:negative: Yeah that’s basically what I got:

60 minutes at 375F. It was...really not very good at all. The texture was weird, the outside was leathery, and it had this strange, sickening smell that I’ve only ever experienced on a really gross pork shoulder I got that I suspect had boar taint. Except that it and the shoulder smell were more sour and acrid than fecal. Blech.

Pass. I’ll try it if a master chef cooks it, but I certainly can’t.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
That might be the iron, it reminds me a little of liver.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
I would've done a fair bit slower and lower roast, but you can't make heart not taste a little like blood

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I know what iron and blood taste like, and this was not iron. Also, why would a pork shoulder be iron-y?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
Alright, then, it was spoiled I guess

Sliced really really thin and hot fried does work, too

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Heart I would just dice up and add to stews and such.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If you say "beef heart" enough times in a row it starts to sound like "bee fart" which is kinda funny. hth.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

BrianBoitano posted:

I'd guess the lovely smoker done fresh would be better than a traveling bird
Given the constraints, if I absofuckinlutely had to do this kind of thing I'd smoke the bird, part it out, vac seal the pieces, freeze them, then ship them ahead of time in a styrofoam container with some dry ice and ice packs, have the family put them it all in the freezer when it arrives, and then take an Anova or something in my carryon and reheat via s-v.

This works better for pork and beef than for poultry, but l o fuckin l at the idea of trying to knock out a big family holiday dinner on a bunch of random gear that you've never seen and have every reason to expect is going to be poo poo.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
nice we upgraded to a second thread for pissing on the goon in the well

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Bluedeanie posted:

I'm makin' my turkey stock for gravy/dressing today out of wings/necks in a regular pot. I'll freeze what doesn't go in the dressing I'm making tomorrow (that will itself get frozen). T-giving day I make the gravy with giblets/pope's nose/whatever extraneous parts come off the bird and aforementioned turkey stock. We do the turkey on the grill so there aren't many pan juices. Gravy refrigerates and reheats *mostly* fine so you could do it the night before no problem imo, but I wouldn't try doing it way ahead and freezing it.

I think the secret to easy thanksgiving is using the freezer.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I spent a decade smoking turkeys on the cheapest shittiest smoker you could buy and they all turned out great. Go to home Depot spend less than the cost to prep and ship the bird and smoke it on site.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Doom Rooster posted:

I.M.Gei, my personal take is that you try to fight the odds with the "new" lovely smoker, while setting expectations politely with everyone involved. With low expectations, if it's just kinda okay, you're still fine, but if you manage to make it great, you're a fuckin' pro.

This is what I’m gonna do now. It may or may not turn out great, but I’ll take a shot at it anyway. Luckily this gathering is gonna have multiple turkeys for a huge number of people, so if I gently caress anything up it shouldn’t be a huge loss.

Doom Rooster posted:

I.M.Gei has been learning how to smoke for a little while now, and he's been doing some great stuff. His dad's been bragging on him to the family and the family in Maryland asked him to smoke a turkey, which is is cool as hell. The problem is that the family in Maryland got a smoker from a friend, and it was the cheapest, shittiest smoker available more than 20 years ago, and has been sitting in a box since, so it isn't just super thin and lovely, it's not even seasoned.

All this makes for a really small chance of getting a great, brag-worthy result so he's trying to find the best way to smoke at home and then bring it with him to Maryland. I'm just not sure that 2 day old, reheated turkey is ever going to be impressive, no matter how great it was when it was first cooked.

Thank you for not ridiculing me and calling me a “goon in the well” incapable of ever making progress on anything and then acting like it’s all my fault like seemingly everyone in the Smoking Meat thread has decided to do.

EDIT: I thought about it and removed the rest of this because it reads a little like something people get probated for.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Nov 18, 2019

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
I have a cold that's made me dumb. I misunderstood what the guy at the fish counter was asking and I ended up with a fat ol black cod steak instead of fillet.

My original plan was to marinate in a miso, sugar, sake, mirin marinade and then broil for color and then drop the oven down a bit and bake a few minutes until done. I've never cooked steaks of fish before. I assume I can do basically the same thing but cook for longer to deal with how thick flesh is?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

:eyepop:

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

I. M. Gei posted:

This is what I’m gonna do now. It may or may not turn out great, but I’ll take a shot at it anyway. Luckily this gathering is gonna have multiple turkeys for a huge number of people, so if I gently caress anything up it shouldn’t be a huge loss.

IMO this is the safest option by a wide margin. Even mediocre-ly smoked food is usually pretty impressive to people who are used to chain restaurants and vacuum sealed grocery store pulled pork. How bad can the smoker be?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I made turkey stock today and it is super cloudy. Doesn't really matter because it's going in dressing and gravy, but how would I go about clarifying it into turkey consomme? I think there are egg white and ground meat involved? Thinking of trying it just for kicks because I never have before and it doesn't matter if I fail.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

Grand Fromage posted:

Oven roast the leg/thigh quarters, pan sear the breasts, use the rest for duck stock. Make a soup and make stuffing with duck stock as the liquid, I did that before and it was fuckin' great. Use the excess fat to roast potatoes.

Thought I'd share my success: this turned out loving great. I ended up just 'winging' it hehe and roasting the legs in my cast iron. Only hitch was I followed Serious Eats pan seared duck breast recipe and though I followed it closely it would've come out undercooked. I had to throw the breasts in the oven to finish.

Butchering the whole duck uncooked was a very satisfying job, think I'll do that more often with chicken. Rendering fat today and making stock!

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
You also have a great opportunity to cut up a bird after Thanksgiving. When turkeys go on huge sale, get one or two, break them down, and freeze them. It goes really quickly, couldn't be cheaper, and it's a nice treat in non-turkey season.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I made turkey stock today and it is super cloudy. Doesn't really matter because it's going in dressing and gravy, but how would I go about clarifying it into turkey consomme? I think there are egg white and ground meat involved? Thinking of trying it just for kicks because I never have before and it doesn't matter if I fail.

did you make it in a pressure cooker?

i used to get a lot of the cloudy, emulsified fat in my chicken stock until i read an article somewhere that said you should let it release naturally to minimize that cloudy fat that can appear in the stock.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I bought a 5ga sized cast iron dutch oven to make jambalaya in for a tailgate.

I need to season it and in a hurry. What's the best way to season this thing? Putting it in the oven is undesirable due to its sheer weight and size. I have a stand burner and can use that to get it super hot.

I was thinking of just tossing in a half cup of coconut oil or something and uniformly rubbing it around the inside and let it just get up to super high heat for an hour then wipe it out and repeat that process the next day and call it done. Would that be suitable or can yall think of a better way? It doesn't need to be the most perfect of seasoning jobs, just functional enough for jambalaya this weekend and I can scour it down and do a better job later if necessary.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
Super high heat abd lots of oil will get you a lovely uneven burnt coating. You should use very little oil, medium heat at most and do several passes. It still shouldn't take you very long.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

That Works posted:

I bought a 5ga sized cast iron dutch oven to make jambalaya in for a tailgate.

I need to season it and in a hurry. What's the best way to season this thing? Putting it in the oven is undesirable due to its sheer weight and size. I have a stand burner and can use that to get it super hot.

I was thinking of just tossing in a half cup of coconut oil or something and uniformly rubbing it around the inside and let it just get up to super high heat for an hour then wipe it out and repeat that process the next day and call it done. Would that be suitable or can yall think of a better way? It doesn't need to be the most perfect of seasoning jobs, just functional enough for jambalaya this weekend and I can scour it down and do a better job later if necessary.

I'm not sure how coconut works for seasoning, I would use crisco shortening. Warm the pot up a little bit, put some on a rag or paper towel and wipe the whole thing down. Then take a clean rag or towel and wipe off any excess. Then heat til its polymerized, cool a bit, and begin again. The key is super thin layers. If you try to rush it you will end up with seasoning that is either gummy or flakes off.

edit: When you put the oil on there, if you can see any depth to it, there's too much. The surface should be shiny but not look like it has a layer of oil on it. Thats why warming up the pan helps because the oil will be thinner and go on lighter.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
Get it hot and put some oil on an old towel. Rub it around to distribute the oil and reapply oil to towel as necessary. This ruins the towel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

According to some people, flax seed oil is actually the best thing to season cast iron with (e.g. see https://www.cooksillustrated.com/how_tos/5820-the-ultimate-way-to-season-cast-iron. I haven't tried it, though.