Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

Gonzo McFee posted:

100% guarantee that the PR guy kicked and screamed the entire way that this was a bad idea and Prince Andrew is so convinced of his genius he did it anyway and then blamed everyone else when he started making up bizarre lies about having the sweat shot out of him and that he goes to Pizza Express.

There are people in the Twitter comments praising his integrity for quitting. I think it's worth remembering that up until now this person worked in PR for Prince Andrew. He's a rat fleeing a sinking ship, and presumably very much not a good person.

I am of course not suggesting that you are saying that, Gonzo :)

Edit: Prince Andrew has no recollection of the things he allegedly did with 2 17 year olds.

Braggart fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Nov 17, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Oh dear me posted:

Oh I see. Nice movement then.

Yeah, it's debatable how much value the figures have but since they started making seat predictions the Tory vote share has consistently gone up but the size of their predicted majority has always dropped.

Mainly shows that Labour or the smaller parties putting on a few points actually hurts the Tories a lot even if their own vote share goes up at the same time.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Duckula posted:

So what happens now? Prince Andrew disappears from the public eye for the rest of time?

I'm concerned about Prince Andrew's "mental health"

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Someone's going to have a tell all in next weeks Sunday papers!
Bidding starts at half a mill.

Duckula posted:

So what happens now? Prince Andrew disappears from the public eye for the rest of time?

Yeah basically. He will take a 'vacation' now and just hide away until another Royal fucks up.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
My wet dream is for the Tories' focus on Workington Man to be a miscalculation of the scale of Hillary focusing on trying to swing Texas :laugh:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Duckula posted:

Prince Philip goes to the shed at Sandringham and pulls the covers of an old white Fiat Uno.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

CGI Stardust posted:

just had one of these (common pheasant) wandering around the garden for ~15 minutes

beautiful birds up close. also surprisingly large - the body is about the size of a small-medium cat. no idea where it came from, we're not near any shoots

Pheasants are insanely stupid birds that learning so took the shine off Danny champion of the world

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Prince Philip goes to the shed at Sandringham and pulls the covers of an old white Fiat Uno.

The nonce of are hearts

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

lol

https://twitter.com/ajones13113/status/1196046156226351105?s=19

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Braggart posted:

There are people in the Twitter comments praising his integrity for quitting. I think it's worth remembering that up until now this person worked in PR for Prince Andrew. He's a rat fleeing a sinking ship, and presumably very much not a good person.

I am of course not suggesting that you are saying that, Gonzo :)

Edit: Prince Andrew has no recollection of the things he allegedly did with 2 17 year olds.

Oh he's a rat bastard for sure. All people who work in PR for the rich are.

happyhippy posted:

I regret to inform you that the PR man was found dead after stabbing himself 30 times and hanging himself off London Bridge with a bunch of rocks with masonic symbols in his pockets weighing him down.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

happyhippy posted:

Half a mil doesn't buy you an 'accident'-proof car. He ain't saying anything.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

apropos of nothing, the debates are probably gonna suck since like trump v hillary both sides will see what they wanna see and declare victory.
the fash rags will declare crushing victory for bojo and the lib rags will declare a draw

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Is there some way to measure how many people change their minds in an election? I'd be curious to know if this is like a parliamentary debate where the debate is pointless as everyone has made up their minds or whether it makes a difference.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Communist Thoughts posted:

apropos of nothing, the debates are probably gonna suck since like trump v hillary both sides will see what they wanna see and declare victory.
the fash rags will declare crushing victory for bojo and the lib rags will declare a draw

I guess this thread stands in for a theoretical leftist rag in this scenario. But the debates served Corbyn pretty well in 2017 I believe?

E: ^^^ I actually think in Corbs' case he's been so aggressively misrepresented by the media that actually seeing him speak in a debate may convince some people who only pay attention to politicians during a GE (a surprising number - I guess it's like only following sports during the Olympics/Wimbledon/World Cup)

Maugrim fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Nov 17, 2019

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

Azza Bamboo posted:

Is there some way to measure how many people change their minds in an election? I'd be curious to know if this is like a parliamentary debate where the debate is pointless as everyone has made up their minds or whether it makes a difference.

exit polling asks for previous vote, typically

there is a tendency for people to misremember so this can also be checked against panel survey

HauntedRobot
Jun 22, 2002

an excellent mod
a simple map to my heart
now give me tilt shift

Jose posted:

Pheasants are insanely stupid birds that learning so took the shine off Danny champion of the world

True. They're everywhere in the New Forest, and I swear when they hear your car coming their response to it is always to try and run *directly away* from it, forgetting they can move in the Z axis. Or the X axis, for that matter.

Speaking of which, it's unusal for here but the only leaflet I've had through yet has been the labour one. Usually by now we've had the "only the LD can beat the tories here" one (the tories wouldn't deign to make their way over to the waterside).

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

HauntedRobot posted:

True. They're everywhere in the New Forest, and I swear when they hear your car coming their response to it is always to try and run *directly away* from it, forgetting they can move in the Z axis. Or the X axis, for that matter.

Speaking of which, it's unusal for here but the only leaflet I've had through yet has been the labour one. Usually by now we've had the "only the LD can beat the tories here" one (the tories wouldn't deign to make their way over to the waterside).

Yeah but people in films running from anything also do that. I'm always yelling 'veer veer' at the telly.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Things that have aged so well that nonces aren't interested in them.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Yeah but people in films running from anything also do that. I'm always yelling 'veer veer' at the telly.
Posh yawing noises.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I drove past a pheasant the other day that was basically sat in the middle of the road trundling left and right as cars came at it from both sides.

Stupidest birds in creation.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

OwlFancier posted:

I drove past a pheasant the other day that was basically sat in the middle of the road trundling left and right as cars came at it from both sides.

Stupidest birds in creation.

That is not true whilst turkeys exist.

Also as a quick thing if anyone is in the Loughton part of the country one of my friends dogs has gone missing, he is a black cockerpoo who is blind and has diabetes. He somehow got out of the garden this morning and they have been spending all day looking for him. If anyone see's anything please let me know!

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Josef bugman posted:

That is not true whilst turkeys exist.

Domestic turkeys are dumb as gently caress, but a wild tom will go after your rear end if you happen upon him.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/Andrew_Adonis/status/1195978475787694083?s=19

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

quote:

Johnson will defend smallest personal majority for a PM since 1924...

I wonder what happens if the Tories get a narrow majority but then Johnson loses his seat - Conservative meltdown #3?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Maximum hilarity certainly.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

CGI Stardust posted:

just had one of these (common pheasant) wandering around the garden for ~15 minutes

beautiful birds up close. also surprisingly large - the body is about the size of a small-medium cat. no idea where it came from, we're not near any shoots

Landowners have released so many and without any requirement to limit or control that they are wild (introduced) now, so pretty much everywhere. They're non-natives that impact ground flora/fauna detrimentally to native birds, when they are released they destroy small reptile pops and they're also stupid as poo poo. They need to be controlled, preferably by banning releases.

The only benefit is that the shoots give the landowners a reason not to fell an entire woodland, but if posh-cunts wanting to shoot things is the only reason landowners maintain healthy woodlands then its time for the wall.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The curlews on the moor are much smarter, they hide in the heather and only move if you're about to step on one.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Isn't there a weird technicality that the PM doesn't have to be an MP, so he could physically lead the house and debates/questions, but can't vote?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

As far as I know yes but it might necessitate changing the conservative party rulebook to let them let him stay as PM.

Also it'd be funny watching him whinge about unelected eurocrats when he got his mates to appoint him PM after losing the vote lol.

Also not entirely sure if he's allowed in the commons without being an MP.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Bird/road chat reminds me of this when I still had my Mini.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5m_vyL3DEM

The pigeon had so many other options.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

I doubt he would - it would pretty much decisively shatter any semblance of his authority (and image as a 'winner'), and Gove, Hunt, Javid et al would all come crawling out of the woodwork to stab him in the back. I suspect even the papers would turn on him

On the other hand, this is the bizzaro timeline so anything goes

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

OzyMandrill posted:

Isn't there a weird technicality that the PM doesn't have to be an MP, so he could physically lead the house and debates/questions, but can't vote?

Nah, the PM essentially the chairman of the government ministers so he has to be an MP in the first place

Having a shadow MP leader , like in Poland would be possible though

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think the PM can also be a lord if necessary I'm fairly sure ministers don't have to be commons MPs but I can't remember if they have to be at least lords.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

If he did lose his seat he would be immediately parachuted into the safest possible Tory seat (the MP for which would have to mysteriously resign). Who knows what would happen with the PM/leader of the Tories thing, I know Labour have rules about the leader being a sitting MP (so if Corbyn somehow lost his there would be an immediate leadership election) but no idea what the Tories do.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

EvilHawk posted:

If he did lose his seat he would be immediately parachuted into the safest possible Tory seat (the MP for which would have to mysteriously resign). Who knows what would happen with the PM/leader of the Tories thing, I know Labour have rules about the leader being a sitting MP (so if Corbyn somehow lost his there would be an immediate leadership election) but no idea what the Tories do.

He'd still have to win a byelection in that seat, they can't swap him out without one.

Which would take time, and the government not forming because hang on hang on the PM's actually lost his seat let me just find a safe one to take over, would be ridiculous.

More likely I think the tories would just get rid of him.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Jose posted:

I have to assume you mean the film because the book has lengthy asides about how stupendously thick pheasants are.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Also not entirely sure if he's allowed in the commons without being an MP.
PM Johnson debating by shouting down from the public gallery.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

i wonder what kind of accident prince andrew will have if this PR campaign doesn't put out the fire, i hope they do funny one to him like auto erotic asphyxiation or something

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

gh0stpinballa posted:

i wonder what kind of accident prince andrew will have if this PR campaign doesn't put out the fire, i hope they do funny one to him like auto erotic asphyxiation or something

I'm gonna go with sudden onset haemophilia.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

PM Johnson debating by shouting down from the public gallery.

Not sure if this would make PMQs more or less dignified tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Because if everything else fails and a live missile is accidentally launched dropping it somewhere safe in your own borders is considerably better than just going "gently caress it, might as well just kick off armageddon".

There was something about the default being Washington though?

Also surely the middle of the ocean would be a far safer spot to ditch a nuke.