Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Obviously the US sets its missile targeting algorithm the same way the UK works out its road numbering, and it's just going back to the first reference point :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

CGI Stardust posted:

just had one of these (common pheasant) wandering around the garden for ~15 minutes

beautiful birds up close. also surprisingly large - the body is about the size of a small-medium cat. no idea where it came from, we're not near any shoots

I saw one fly while driving once, it's like someone attached wings to an american football and lobbed it. Beautiful but not graceful.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

gh0stpinballa posted:

i wonder what kind of accident prince andrew will have if this PR campaign doesn't put out the fire, i hope they do funny one to him like auto erotic asphyxiation or something
Ladykillers scenario where all the royals are scheming to get him killed but instead Liz, Charles, William, Harry, and the bairns all end up dead and we have King Nonce I.

mycomancy posted:

I'm gonna go with sudden onset paedophilia.

OwlFancier posted:

Not sure if this would make PMQs more or less dignified tbh.
Johnson naked and glued to the glass in the public gallery shouting incoherently.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

CGI Stardust posted:

just had one of these (common pheasant) wandering around the garden for ~15 minutes

beautiful birds up close. also surprisingly large - the body is about the size of a small-medium cat. no idea where it came from, we're not near any shoots

Pheasants used to get into my garden constantly when I lived in the woods, and the cats would try to stalk them before realising those birds are a bit too big for them to take.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

OwlFancier posted:

He'd still have to win a byelection in that seat, they can't swap him out without one.

Which would take time, and the government not forming because hang on hang on the PM's actually lost his seat let me just find a safe one to take over, would be ridiculous.

More likely I think the tories would just get rid of him.

Yeah Boris is far more popular with the dementia-riven party membership than with MP's. They'll be tripping over each other on the way to the kitchen knife drawer.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

EvilHawk posted:

If he did lose his seat he would be immediately parachuted into the safest possible Tory seat (the MP for which would have to mysteriously resign). Who knows what would happen with the PM/leader of the Tories thing, I know Labour have rules about the leader being a sitting MP (so if Corbyn somehow lost his there would be an immediate leadership election) but no idea what the Tories do.

Then good news! The Lib Dems are going to win in Corbyn's constituency :)

https://mobile.twitter.com/IslingtonLibDem/status/1144989024873938944

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
I don't understand how Boris manages to be popular with the membership given it largely comprises sanctimonious shite bags who like to tsk-tsk about adultery and fornication out of wedlock etc

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Nice tweet from June

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

crispix posted:

I don't understand how Boris manages to be popular with the membership given it largely comprises sanctimonious shite bags who like to tsk-tsk about adultery and fornication out of wedlock etc

The republicans do the same for trump, the specifics don't matter to them, it's really just about the thought that they can gently caress up other people, principles are just a means to that end.

Lightningproof
Feb 23, 2011

crispix posted:

Tories are vicious cunts and massive hypocrites, mostly.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Think about anyone you know with hosed up social views, do they actually care or are they just nasty pieces of work who want an excuse to normalize that behaviour?

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Bundy posted:

Nice tweet from June

I couldn't find anything more recent to go with my dumb joke :D

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
What the gently caress is with the 17% Tory lead in the Sunday Times?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

crispix posted:

Same reason Trump is popular with Christian Right in the US who use bible verses to slag off Greta Thunberg amongst others but seemingly ignore the 10 commandments which Trump has broken almost all of repeatedly.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Chuka Umana posted:

What the gently caress is with the 17% Tory lead in the Sunday Times?

Reminder the tories had about a big a lead a month before the polls in 2017 and look how that turned out.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

i can't sweat, medically

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo

serious gaylord posted:

Reminder the tories had about a big a lead a month before the polls in 2017 and look how that turned out.

Regardless, Labour is done if they don't close the gap after the debate and manifesto launch.

Not even the broadband announcement has narrowed the gap. Commentators on UK polling report says Labour is finished.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Polling exists to influence opinion, not report it.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

Ladykillers scenario where all the royals are scheming to get him killed but instead Liz, Charles, William, Harry, and the bairns all end up dead and we have King Nonce I.

For whom Noncester will be named.

(ch sound, the King insists.)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Oh no the times says the tories are great and "commentators on UK polling report" are sure labour is doomed, I could never have predicted this.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

Oh no the times says the tories are great and "commentators on UK polling report" are sure labour is doomed, I could never have predicted this.

Good thing you don't run a polling company then ;)

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Chuka Umana posted:

Regardless, Labour is done if they don't close the gap after the debate and manifesto launch.

Not even the broadband announcement has narrowed the gap. Commentators on UK polling report says Labour is finished.

Have you been ignoring literally every poll and their massively skewed metrics that have been shown over the last week or so. Its literally paid propoganda at this point. Don't even bother looking at them. The last 3 elections have all shown that polling is meaningless as a barometer of an actual result, all it does is give muppets and morons big veiny hard ons to tweet about.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Chuka Umana posted:

poo poo. Reminds me of 1997 when the Tories went from 324 seats to 165, and they never had any kind of impact ever again after that.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

serious gaylord posted:

Have you been ignoring literally every poll and their massively skewed metrics that have been shown over the last week or so. Its literally paid propoganda at this point. Don't even bother looking at them. The last 3 elections have all shown that polling is meaningless as a barometer of an actual result, all it does is give muppets and morons big veiny hard ons to tweet about.

Or just read the thread, it's mentioned on about every other page that Polls Are poo poo (Except Exit Polls And Even Then)

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Z the IVth posted:

There was something about the default being Washington though?

Also surely the middle of the ocean would be a far safer spot to ditch a nuke.

I've never heard of DC being default, every time this has come up people have pointed at the Nevada Test Site or possibly White Sands being the default. After all, they've already been nuked, multiple times, and if they're just testing (the most likely time an accidental launch of a live weapon may happen) then that's where they're going to send them anyway.

The ocean makes a lot less sense for a few reasons I can think of - first, if the warhead doesn't detonate you've then got to retrieve several kilos of plutonium from the bottom of the ocean, which is nobody's idea of fun. Second, if the warhead *does* detonate you're going to face some PR problems if it happens to do so directly above a cruise liner.

Last, and probably most important when you're thinking with the extreme amount of paranoia that you kinda have to be when dealing with the end of the world, if you get particularly unlucky with your choice of safe spot and the position where the accidental launch happens you may well have a missile that's suddenly hurtling in the general direction of another nuclear-armed nation who may not be in the mood for asking too many questions. Aiming at the continental US from almost anywhere that a US (or UK) missile sub is likely to be means that there's no ambiguity about where the missile is going.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Same reason Trump is popular with Christian Right in the US who use bible verses to slag off Greta Thunberg amongst others but seemingly ignore the 10 commandments which Trump has broken almost all of repeatedly.

I'd put money on it that the bit shithouse has coveted his neighbour's oxen as well :mad:

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

I think the PM can also be a lord if necessary I'm fairly sure ministers don't have to be commons MPs but I can't remember if they have to be at least lords.

Yeah technically the PM can be a lord but the last PM to be appointed from the lord's, Douglas-Home in 63, immediately renounced his peerage open becoming PM and ran in a by-election to become an MP within 20 days of becoming PM.

The Tories have shored up their rulebook since to ensure only an MP can be PM by their rules but either way Boris does not currently have a peerage so he wouldn't be eligible post election even counting a rule change

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Makes sense. Thanks!

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Chuka Umana posted:

I have to admit I was starting to get a bit worried about the gap in the polls still persisting at this point. But then I saw that breakdown for one of them that had the raw poll result and their weightings, where Labour were ahead unweighted, but behind on the weighted score because they were predicting a record low turnout for 18-24 age bracket and a 95% turnout for 65+ in the middle of winter. It's right to be wary of dismissing polls just because the result is bad, but when their working literally doesn't add up it's right to challenge them.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

https://twitter.com/iucounu/status/1196111168806490113

The article's behind a paywall so idk the exact level of galaxy brained self-incrimination but lol at the title

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Nonce Solidarity.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Chuka Umana posted:

Settle down pissflaps

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Scikar posted:

I have to admit I was starting to get a bit worried about the gap in the polls still persisting at this point. But then I saw that breakdown for one of them that had the raw poll result and their weightings, where Labour were ahead unweighted, but behind on the weighted score because they were predicting a record low turnout for 18-24 age bracket and a 95% turnout for 65+ in the middle of winter. It's right to be wary of dismissing polls just because the result is bad, but when their working literally doesn't add up it's right to challenge them.

Do you have the link for that breakdown?

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

Alctel posted:

Do you have the link for that breakdown?

It's on that other site:
https://www.reddit.com/r/LabourUK/comments/dwrn69/kantars_recent_poll_weighting_is_based_on_lowest/

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I assume it's this one:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ukpolitics/comments/dwro11/kantars_recent_poll_weighting_is_based_on_the/

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Qwertycoatl posted:

https://twitter.com/iucounu/status/1196111168806490113

The article's behind a paywall so idk the exact level of galaxy brained self-incrimination but lol at the title

Nigel Lawson's son, eh?

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

DrSnakeLaser posted:

I saw one fly while driving once, it's like someone attached wings to an american football and lobbed it. Beautiful but not graceful.
christ no. they're giant pigeons, but pretty

Ratjaculation posted:

Landowners have released so many and without any requirement to limit or control that they are wild (introduced) now, so pretty much everywhere. They're non-natives that impact ground flora/fauna detrimentally to native birds, when they are released they destroy small reptile pops and they're also stupid as poo poo. They need to be controlled, preferably by banning releases.

The only benefit is that the shoots give the landowners a reason not to fell an entire woodland, but if posh-cunts wanting to shoot things is the only reason landowners maintain healthy woodlands then its time for the wall.
if releases were to be banned, would the pheasant population stabilize / fall? they seem far too dumb and slow-breeding to thrive. this is the only time i've seen one in the flesh that wasn't at the waiting at the side of the road to jump, jumping into the middle of the road in front of me for no reason, or dead at the side of the road

also, preserve woodlands, catapult the landowners into the air and use them as target practice

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Bird/road chat reminds me of this when I still had my Mini.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5m_vyL3DEM

The pigeon had so many other options.
i shouldn't laugh at a bird getting obliterated, but for gently caress's sake

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

People forget that you can have a category 4 hurricane ongoing and a little old biddie will still make her Gp appointment to chat about her budgies or whatever

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

As far as I know weather doesn't affect turnout much at all, but I don't know if the extent to which it does affect turnout is distributed evenly across the population.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

I think the PM can also be a lord if necessary I'm fairly sure ministers don't have to be commons MPs but I can't remember if they have to be at least lords.

Douglas-Home, in the early 60s, was chosen to replace Macmillan, and gave up his peerage and stood in a by-election as even then it was unacceptable for a Peer to be PM.

Add to that in the decades since the powers of the Lords have been stripped back such that they can't set legislative goals, only review law from the Commons, and it all adds up to why you don't see Lords in cabinet posts anymore, except for those that don't have legislative agendas to set forth.