Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Framboise posted:

mods?! :stare:

About to head to the first gym challenge. Let's do this. (I'll probably trample it at this point, my Raboot is lv20 lol)

Same level as the gym.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I can hear my boy playing in the backyard yelling "DYNAMAX! DYNAMAX!" :3:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
goddamnit finally found a g-max butterfree raid and nope, escaped my net ball. The fact that they can fail the catch is insane, I'm ok with it being an RNG thing like most poo poo in poke-hunting is but come the gently caress on I threw a super powered pokeball at it, let me get the catch

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Pokemon Shield is fun. The animations for some moves are low effort but stuff like Waterfall and Fire Wheel are fine. It's a shame they level gated capturing Pokemon though because as soon as I reached the Wild Area and started exploring it I managed to drop the level 34 Pancoro down to 1hp and paralyzed but I wasn't allowed to try and capture it. All that work by my level 16-17 team, wasted. :(

Pretty sure I spent 4-5 hours wandering the Wild Area on that first visit and capture everything that could show up at level 20 or lower.

That you can buy different uniforms but are forced to use the default one in challenge matches is kinda BS. Don't sell cool uniforms without making it clear that you can't replace your generic one with them (or the other gym uniforms). Let me wear my steel uniform when stomping gym leaders. :mad:

On the upside Gyarados still owns, as does Gardivoir, so it's not like there's a shortage of good pokemon after the culling. Also ended up with an Axew when I noticed one of the lairs had a different purple beam with an effect around it, so a future Haxorus was a nice get too.

My 1st RNG trade was a level 41 Sawk from a Japanese player which was cool yet sadly useless to a newbie aside from being a wall of HP to have soaking hits while trying to capture low HP Pokemon.

Someone please get them to change Ash's awful pencil mustache'd face.

BearDrivingTruck posted:

Just caught a timid Gigantimax Butterfree from a raid, sweet!

I'm 0 for 6 on catching those in raids and it's real annoying. It's a 3* fight and even at 4 badges it still instantly breaks out of any ball I use. Net, Ultra, Timer, whatever. All break instantly. Even the dynamax Steelix I tried to capture at least shook the ball once before breaking out. I don't know if they're always g-max but a couple definitely were due to using g-max moves against us.

That was also with one attempt where one of the players on our team kept OHKOing a person on our team every round to try and make us fail the fight. I don't know why we're allowed to target other players with non-AOE but I could easily see people griefing others in rare fights by just murdering the team to force a 4 faint loss.

iospace posted:

Bad:
Wild area with internet on: not sure if it's the engine or the hardware but it chokes. Runs fine in solo. Caveat: only tried in handheld mode.

Considering how many other players it's loading in to the area for you, I'm going to say it's a processing bottleneck. When I first hit that zone on Friday the load in point for when you first reach the area was like a clown car of endless trainers exiting from an every-changing trainer model. I thought the game had bugged out until I realized the Wild Area is a quasi-MMO zone.

Calaveron posted:

Yamper fucken sucks. I hope I find that electric poison guy soon

Mods ban this monster.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Nov 17, 2019

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Flopsy posted:

Which one the middle or the end? Because the end is Krampus just so you know.

Ah I didn’t know there was one more. I hope by Krampus you mean they just give his middle stage goat hooves

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
meanwhile I caught a 4 star Greedent with a really good nature so gently caress it who knows what my luck is

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Lol just did a 5 star shuckle battle. Pretty sure we won just before the 10 minute time out.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

It’s honestly hype as hell seeing what the Ball Guy is going to give me next. Thank You Ball Guy.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

ROFL Octopus posted:

It’s honestly hype as hell seeing what the Ball Guy is going to give me next. Thank You Ball Guy.

Ball Guy fuckin rules, always talk to Ball Guy

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Can you recolor your Pokemon at all? Because I originally named my Grookey Goku and it was clearly meant to be because Rillaboom is rocking a SSJ3 mane of hair.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
i like when the Pokémons get big

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Evil Fluffy posted:

Can you recolor your Pokemon at all? Because I originally named my Grookey Goku and it was clearly meant to be because Rillaboom is rocking a SSJ3 mane of hair.
uh, no

sorry, but that's never been a thing in pokemon

the only recolors are "shiny" pokemon, with a different, set, color scheme, and the chance of finding one without specifically trying to breed or chain for it is like, 1 in 4000.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
do only blue Shellos exist in Sw/Sh are pink ones available too?

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

MotU posted:

do only blue Shellos exist in Sw/Sh are pink ones available too?
do you have sword or shield? maybe it's a version exclusivity thing, I'm playing sword and I've only seen the blue ones.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
The gym battle music is the best track in the game; change my mind. (The refights have a somewhat worse remix, unfortunately.) It's very Jock Jams, and the chanting part at the end just seals it.

Second place is a close race between Piers and Rose.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug
i have sword but i see that the only place shellos are located are like the east side of the map so i guess blue is all there is, for some reason

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

the colors are usually split between versions

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

What is the best regional rodent and why is it Greedent?

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Super No Vacancy posted:

the colors are usually split between versions
except, oddly enough, their debut game. DPPT had them on opposite sides of the map.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Incoherence posted:

The gym battle music is the best track in the game; change my mind. (The refights have a somewhat worse remix, unfortunately.) It's very Jock Jams, and the chanting part at the end just seals it.

Second place is a close race between Piers and Rose.

Marnie's theme is probably my favorite.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
How do I change the little icon by my name for stuff like raids, I'm sick of this leaf

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Blaziken386 posted:

do you have sword or shield? maybe it's a version exclusivity thing, I'm playing sword and I've only seen the blue ones.

Nah, Shield here and I've only seen blues as well.

Gay Horney posted:

i like when the Pokémons get big

:hmmyes:

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

sexpig by night posted:

How do I change the little icon by my name for stuff like raids, I'm sick of this leaf
Y button > profile

Ms Adequate posted:

Nah, Shield here and I've only seen blues as well.
okay yeah that's just weird

surely they didn't dexit one of its forms? I mean, the pink and blue jellyfish ghosts are both there.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

Pillbug
maybe Pink is only Home-able? this is an outrage i refuse to use inferior shellos

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I actually really dislike the song that starts playing when you're on the last pokemon of a Gym Leader fight.

It's repetitive and, since it's mostly people going "wa-ah, waah wah wah wah" it's also barely music.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Man Hop’s storyline gets dark pretty quick.

:rip: Wooloo :rip:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Just got put in the hospital by a Daimax Steelix who we had down to about 1/2 health and only one death, so it was going well, then he decided he was done with our poo poo and used Rock Fall or something, killing all four of us in one attack :v:

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

pink shellos will only be obtainable in the sinnoh remake

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Ms Adequate posted:

Just got put in the hospital by a Daimax Steelix who we had down to about 1/2 health and only one death, so it was going well, then he decided he was done with our poo poo and used Rock Fall or something, killing all four of us in one attack :v:

same but g-max drednaw

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Annath posted:

I actually really dislike the song that starts playing when you're on the last pokemon of a Gym Leader fight.

It's repetitive and, since it's mostly people going "wa-ah, waah wah wah wah" it's also barely music.

It’s not something I’d listen to out of the game but it just works in the context of the game, where you have two skyscraper-sized pokemon throwing tornadoes and poo poo at each other.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

By the way y'all are aware that you can talk to other trainers in the Wild Zone and they'll give you stuff? Usually nothing special like just a Moomoo Milk or the like but still neat!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

ROFL Octopus posted:

It’s not something I’d listen to out of the game but it just works in the context of the game, where you have two skyscraper-sized pokemon throwing tornadoes and poo poo at each other.

Yea it's a soccer chant, it doesn't work a song but it works in context, the crowd is seeing two big rear end pokemon duking it out for the big game, I like it.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Blaziken386 posted:

Y button > profile

okay yeah that's just weird

surely they didn't dexit one of its forms? I mean, the pink and blue jellyfish ghosts are both there.

Pink and blue jellyfish are the female and male ones respectively.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
I like that strangers will give me hamburgers and noodles they dug out of the ground days ago.

I also don't know what the gently caress about curry. Obviously preparing it means make the most sparkles, and the special ingredient+ flavor of berry you use affects the end dish, but how to make best rank curry, how many berries to use, and how to combine berries are all obtuse.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

sexpig by night posted:

Yea it's a soccer chant, it doesn't work a song but it works in context, the crowd is seeing two big rear end pokemon duking it out for the big game, I like it.

Knew I forgot something from my unfinished game review! :doh:

The music. Pokemon has always had good music. The gym music is great, and the chanting during the leader's final mon is 100% this: things are getting interesting.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Funky Valentine posted:

What's the earliest I can get a Mime Jr. I want a Mr. Rime.

Max Raid Battles. Otherwise you’re stuck waiting until after the 8th gym to catch a Mr. Mime

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Man Hop’s storyline gets dark pretty quick.

:rip: Wooloo :rip:

He’s not dead, just on the bench

Ms Adequate posted:

By the way y'all are aware that you can talk to other trainers in the Wild Zone and they'll give you stuff? Usually nothing special like just a Moomoo Milk or the like but still neat!

The fishers are the only ones worth talking to, they always have something that sells for a lot of money, the rest just have crap

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Man, all the problems people were saying about this game seem really overblown having spent all weekend playing it

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Scrap Dragon posted:

He’s not dead, just on the bench
Hop spoilers:
I legit teared up a bit in the first fight he brings out his dubwool.

Then I one shot it. But still, emotional moment.

Also, I've been sending out my Rillaboom every time he sends out his Inteleon, for old times' sake. Every time it goes first and uses tearful look right before I one shot it with drum beating.

I feel like an rear end in a top hat, but it's still hilarious. Not exactly champion-level pokemon fights.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

mandatory lesbian posted:

Man, all the problems people were saying about this game seem really overblown having spent all weekend playing it

mandatory experience share sucks rear end exactly as much as i was worried about

besides that it's pretty fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of Hop, I’m still early in the game but he’s not going to keep commenting on how I know about type advantages every time I fight him is he?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Nov 17, 2019