Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

Are the things on the bottom bags of [whatever] that just happen to really look like models/die casts of 60s-80s sedans?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Bags of some granular household product, yeah.

The bit that looks like a car in profile is the white top of the bag + the plastic carry handle.

e: after some searching it looks like water softener. Those of you who read other GBS threads may recognize the company's logo!

Jabor fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Nov 17, 2019

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

pseudorandom posted:

Are the things on the bottom bags of [whatever] that just happen to really look like models/die casts of 60s-80s sedans?

I think that's bags of pool salt or water softener salt. The part that looks like the window of the "car" is just the handle on the bag folded up.

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

Two pallets at once and not even picked up properly. That's don't forklift like this.gif

Cue someone posting Klaus.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

pseudorandom posted:

Aaaah! I can't not-see it now.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

No. No no no... No no no... Noooo no.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

tater_salad posted:

No. No no no... No no no... Noooo no.
I don't know what you're so worried about, he put a towel between the chain and the body panel.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

You trust your life to Pittsburgh / Harbor Freight tools. #justidiotthings

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

:stare:

...and a Harbour Freight engine hoist, at that
:stonk:

Edit: hah

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

You trust your life to Pittsburgh / Harbor Freight tools. #justidiotthings
"yolo"

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

pseudorandom posted:

Oh, thank God, I wasn't the only person. Even after that post a day ago saying it was pool salt, I can't see it as anything but crushed plastic models of cars

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Thought it was a pallet of toy cars club checking in.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Pissed Ape Sexist posted:

There's a couple reasons. Old table saws are dangerous because of (well, partially) where the board can sometimes pinch between the fence and the blade if you're not careful. This will make the blade 'grab' the board and fling it backwards toward the user very, very quickly, and sometimes bring the user's fingers along for the trip through the path of the blade. This is a table saw but flipped 90 degrees-- you're sawing horizontally, so that the wood passing the completely-unshielded-on-any-side blade will necessarily be pinched by gravity itself. Your hand will also be encouraged by gravity to fall into the blade when this happens. Hell, the kickback path wouldn't even be guaranteed to be parallel to the fence. This machine is excruciating to even look at.

I think the question was "why would this design ever need to be made" there is nothing that idiotic design can do that a standard, much safer (when used correctly) upright table saw couldn't also do just as effectively.
The only thing I can possible think of is maybe, maybe cutting a groove or dado into the bottom edge of something cylindrical, but even then you could make a jig out of some 45 degree blocks and attach it to the slide or the table rail and do the exact same thing on an upright blade...

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Drone_Fragger posted:

I think the question was "why would this design ever need to be made" there is nothing that idiotic design can do that a standard, much safer (when used correctly) upright table saw couldn't also do just as effectively.
The only thing I can possible think of is maybe, maybe cutting a groove or dado into the bottom edge of something cylindrical, but even then you could make a jig out of some 45 degree blocks and attach it to the slide or the table rail and do the exact same thing on an upright blade...

I have no earthly idea. Maybe somebody was just loving around for a picture when changing out bits on a woodshaper? It's awful.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

I'm impressed, don't those things only support like 500 lbs when fully extended like that?

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wirth1000 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJrXth2Cyuk

Seeing this guy work just seems insanely OSHA.

I wonder if this guy can turn it off or if he's this loving annoying in his personal life too?

https://i.imgur.com/R9yD82w.mp4

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Booourns posted:

I'm impressed, don't those things only support like 500 lbs when fully extended like that?

I assume he cheaped out and got the cheaper one, so yeah, that's a quarter ton in the farthest setting. With a safety factor of three, it would be able to lift 1500 pounds before failing. Assuming that car is around 3000 pounds with a weight bias towards the front, that thing is moments from failing.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Wirth1000 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJrXth2Cyuk

Seeing this guy work just seems insanely OSHA.

Wearing that loving tie and then getting more views than there ARE machinists, just overnight this guy with his clout made it ok to wear a tie in the shop in a sense. Normalized in an instant.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I stopped watching his videos because he went from sort of interesting projects to "WOOOW I'M SO WACKY! Here's something dangerous! This week's video brought to you by some huge brand, they gave me thousands of pounds to make a gun that shoots flame throwers at orphans!"

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

if you were an orphan would you say no to a flamethrower?

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

shovelbum posted:

Wearing that loving tie and then getting more views than there ARE machinists, just overnight this guy with his clout made it ok to wear a tie in the shop in a sense. Normalized in an instant.

Weird, an instant is the same amount of time it will take the lathe to grab the tie and turn all those mechanics into a rotating bag of skin and bones slurry

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Super Soaker Party! posted:

Weird, an instant is the same amount of time it will take the lathe to grab the tie and turn all those mechanics into a rotating bag of skin and bones slurry

I like working at the place with the broken lathe because then there's no lathe hazards

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

That's just what the lathe wants you to think­.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

shovelbum posted:

Cojawfee posted:

I stopped watching his videos because he went from sort of interesting projects to "WOOOW I'M SO WACKY! Here's something dangerous! This week's video brought to you by some huge brand, they gave me thousands of pounds to make a gun that shoots flame throwers at orphans!"

Yeah, I stopped because he is unnecessarily dangerous in what he does.

Like, it would take no effort at all to throw on a pair of safety goggles and earplugs when angle-grinding metal indoors.

Or throw together a quick protective guard to cover spinning, dangerous things in his build.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Among the litany of "holy poo poo dude come on" was the complete lack of safety glasses. Maybe the single most basic PPE.

There's a sequel vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCfr8N0Q8IA

And his tie gets caught a minute and 20 second or so in.

Wirth1000 fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Nov 17, 2019

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Guessing he does a few photoshoots in the shop there and has a team doing the actual builds? I have no idea how you'd grind or wire wheel for more than a few minutes without PPE and have it be tolerable regardless of safety from severe injury

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

shovelbum posted:

Guessing he does a few photoshoots in the shop there and has a team doing the actual builds? I have no idea how you'd grind or wire wheel for more than a few minutes without PPE and have it be tolerable regardless of safety from severe injury

Yeah, at this point Furze seems to be the "on-air personality" while his team does the bulk of the work.

His projects seem to be mostly sponsored product placement now.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
He's survived long enough to become famous. Being famous means there are no consequences and confers immunity to all hazards, right? He's a shock-maker, like a shock-jock only more cringey.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Shock-tent Creator

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.
In a hosed up way, I wish something bad would happen to people like that.

Not because I want them to suffer, but because I want people who watch them and might emulate them see the risks of their stupidity.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Every warning label has an origin story.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shut up Meg posted:

Not because I want them to suffer, but because I want people who watch them and might emulate them see the risks of their stupidity.

Im just going to say what everyone is thinking: I'm glad King of random died, he was very annoying :colbert:

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

People who are like Matty Mathison are the reason kitchens have such poor safety reputations.

He's drat entertaining, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZ9SZn7QzIM&t=786s

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

ekuNNN posted:

Im just going to say what everyone is thinking: I'm glad King of random died, he was very annoying :colbert:

You know, that's really not cool or helpf... hm.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Grem posted:

People who are like Matty Mathison are the reason kitchens have such poor safety reputations.

He's drat entertaining, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZ9SZn7QzIM&t=786s

This is you isn't it.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

shovelbum posted:

Fruze makes the stuff himself with one other guy and they film sections to make the video. The bits where he's filming stuff tends to be him explaining what he did or is going to do with the odd action shot.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

ekuNNN posted:

Yeah, that's a little more than I was proposing.

I was thinking more along the lines of:

Wikipedia posted:

In January 2018, Thompson was charged with two counts of second-degree felony possession of an explosive device for allegedly conducting incendiary experiments in his backyard.[6] The charges carried a maximum 15-year prison sentence. He was exempted from a prison sentence due to a deal he made with authorities. The deal stated that the initial charges would be dropped and that he would only be charged with a misdemeanor recklessness with an incendiary device charge, which would also be dismissed so long as Thompson did not break any laws over the next 18 months. Under the terms of his deal with police, Thompson would have created two YouTube videos educating viewers about the "physical safety and/or the legal risks associated with experiments that could be dangerous"

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/sRuQddX.mp4

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

what the gently caress is this clown show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Cirque du Soleil JV team.