Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
remember the almost impossibly thin moto razr of days gone by?

this is not that

https://twitter.com/Caitlin_McGarry/status/1194829034217041921

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
new Motorola Razor is so cool.

I dug out my old one and flipped it open and closed a couple times and saved myself $1500.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
the design manages to look chonk af because of the screen width, but also it is actually thicker than the o.g. moto razr when closed

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

yeah, that is real disappointing. bendable in general seems many years off, where a much thinner implementation with two screens and a minimal bezel separating them would have made it at least sort of cool.

mystes
May 31, 2006

infernal machines posted:

the design manages to look chonk af because of the screen width, but also it is actually thicker than the o.g. moto razr when closed
Wasn't the keyboard half of the original razr quite thin in the middle? I think that would be difficult to do with a screen.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

yeah, that is real disappointing. bendable in general seems many years off, where a much thinner implementation with two screens and a minimal bezel separating them would have made it at least sort of cool.

that's not what the line next to the checkbox says so it's impossible

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
I saw some hands-on impressions that said it was the same thickness? it looks pretty good for a first-gen.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I'm glad that all these companies are trying different designs now, because I feel confident that when I take another look at folding phones in 5 years they'll either have worked out all the kinks or given up entirely.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

mystes posted:

Wasn't the keyboard half of the original razr quite thin in the middle? I think that would be difficult to do with a screen.

it's probably more to do with the battery space for running android and fart apps instead of just snake. the screens are quite thin, probably more thin than a keyboard with travel distance.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i like the palm pre/kin phone sized blob phone look. the old razr design language makes it look fat, they should have just done their own thing aesthetically and then still called it the razr because it's still a folding phone from motorola.

i know it's an issue for women, but i also have a pair of jeans and shorts with short pockets and i think i'd appreciate the top to bottom fold rather than the side to side one.

not going to spend more than $200 on a phone every five+ years though.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

the mechanism of that looks a lot cooler and better designed than the sarnsung fold at least

shame about the anroid

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
why are androids like this

quote:

You know how auto brightness is totally crazy and unreliable? Now imagine that technology being used to control the refresh rate of your device. It is just all over the place based on the tiniest light fluctuations. You won't necessarily notice every drop from 90Hz to 60Hz, but the end result is that it happens so frequently that the Pixel 4 doesn't feel as fast or fluid as other 90Hz phones in the default mode. It really is detrimental to the experience. It's great that you can turn all these half-measures off, but the overwhelming message from Google is that its 90Hz phone doesn't have a big enough battery to support 90Hz mode all the time.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

because google I assume all the institutional energy went into backing that silly seeming radar chip thing in the new pixel because it was the pet project for someone seeking promotion, for one thing

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

A thing I have thought while looking at students' iPads pro, etc: "that's a nice smooth screen"

A thing I have never thought: "I desperately need that screen on my phone and will give up battery life to have it"

Like who gives a poo poo. 60hz is fine for literally anything

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

James Baud posted:

I worked in a Dominos 20+ years ago and they had an interesting thing going on -- individual restaurants could (at least then) choose from a variety of grades for each topping, so there was nothing at all stopping some cheapskate dominos franchisee from serving all their customers metaphorical dog meat instead of the good stuff while capitalizing on the value of the brand earned by better stores.

So basically, your opinion of Dominos depends on whether you had a good one or a bad one near you growing up / in college and the whole "experience across all stores of brand is roughly equivalent, that's why people seek you out!" thing isn't true for them at all.

Good job, corporate!

(I know I've read hints in some glossy publication that they more recently did research and discovered that "people like good pizza!" so they worked on improving that, chainwide. I dunno.)

They literally had a campaign a few years ago that was essentially"our pizza sucks. Sorry. We're gonna fix that"

Also the founder would hide in the backseat if a driver complained about being robbed and when someone tried to rob them he would jump out and beat the thief over the head with a meat tenderizer

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

!!!

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
Google Pixel 4 review—Overpriced, uncompetitive, and out of touch

quote:

So, what's the point of all this? It's impossible for the Pixel line to be any kind of sales success, because Google just hasn't put in the work to build a world-wide distribution network. It's not pushing the Android ecosystem forward, because the hardware is either the same thing everyone else is doing or it contains a few failed experiments that will be gone in a year or two. There were initial ideas that the Pixel was here to show off Google's software, but when that software boils down to a few apps, you can do that on just about any phone. The Pixel line started off shaky and has been standing still, while Google's competitors get better and better. Today, it doesn't seem like there's much this phone has to offer.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2019/11/google-pixel-4-review-overpriced-uncompetitive-and-out-of-touch/4/#h2

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

A thing I have thought while looking at students' iPads pro, etc: "that's a nice smooth screen"

A thing I have never thought: "I desperately need that screen on my phone and will give up battery life to have it"

are you implying that smaller number is better or just as good as bigger number? hosed up

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

lmao does that android really jump up and down in framerate? terrible. that would be immensley irritating, but probably not as noticeable on something that's already extremely laggy in the first place like android though

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

google next gen assistant: sending a bit of speech to and from the cloud is too slow, lets spend hardware to do it locally

google stadia: local hardware is too expensive, lets use the cloud for ultra low latency video

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Bulgakov posted:

because google I assume all the institutional energy went into backing that silly seeming radar chip thing in the new pixel because it was the pet project for someone seeking promotion, for one thing

they don't have any institutional energy because it all gets diffused when your workers are constantly starting new projects to get bonuses instead of finishing poo poo properly

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Last Chance posted:

lmao does that android really jump up and down in framerate? terrible. that would be immensley irritating, but probably not as noticeable on something that's already extremely laggy in the first place like android though

lol rip

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Last Chance posted:

I'm pretty sensitive to this kind of thing but I haven't noticed it.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

pram posted:

lol rip

more like "project butt", amirite :xd:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Jabor posted:

more like "project butt", amirite :xd:

project butt is the secret executive sex cave

Astryl
Feb 1, 2005

"15,000 hours of Diablo II isn't that much, dweeb."

pixel fanboy but a10 killed my 3xl and i hate it

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Last Chance posted:

i've never heard anyone complaining about the variable refresh rate on ipads pro, or automatic brightness on ios poo poo for that matter

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Do Not Fear Jazz posted:

pixel fanboy but a10 killed my 3xl and i hate it

can you translate

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

android 10, the latest os by google made the phone branded and sold by google bad (it was always bad)

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I thought he was on about the Apple A10 CPU

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

sonds like it's time to start digging a hole for the pixel brand on the ol' google graveyard

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
it just feels like it's run out of steam. all the unique features are halfassed and all the specs where you can go bigger number = better than, aren't.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

crepeface posted:

they don't have any institutional energy because it all gets diffused when your workers are constantly starting new projects to get bonuses instead of finishing poo poo properly

tyhats what I meant but knew I was typing poorly

pixel 2019 phones got all the project energy pointed at the weird literal hand waving feature because google but it was bad and then the rest of the phone got forgotten but presumably some middling manager moved up slightly in the massive hierarchy while a multi year project has now been fatally poisoned to the point of falling big time backwards in public consciousness

expect a reboot with a new product name and marketing within 2-3 years mabe

pram
Jun 10, 2001
nest phone obviously

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

it only chats with your thermostat, but also your thermostat requires a connection to services which stopped being maintained after the program officer left months ago to start a boutique sausage enterprise

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

it is partially the usual google lack of attention span, but the pixels and chromebooks also have the weirdness that google somehow seems to forget that they are in the business of price dumping in software. even if they did super-high-end hardware *well* it'd be entirely contrary to what the software side is doing.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Partycat posted:

can you translate

The new update hosed people's batteries up something fierce

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
that problem with the pixel phone is that google thinks they’re selling a premium phone when they’ve made a mediocre mid-range phone. it’s clear that they have no product vision and just try to metoo hardware features, or throw experimental poo poo at the wall to see what sticks. the question is whether they’re smart enough to pull the plug now or if they’ll keep burning money to not sell phones.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
their killer feature was the camera, but it's been ported by third parties and competitors have caught up. and I guess pure android but other companies' skins have gotten better and more timely with updates while having more features, better hardware or lower prices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

yeah but you can flail your hands around and maybe it'll skip to the next song!