Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

RabidWeasel posted:

I have been known to sleep occasionally

Wow what's that like?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

RabidWeasel posted:

I have been known to sleep occasionally
loving deviant.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Rarity posted:

Sorry for making GBS threads up the thread with this, people. I just don't have anyone else I can go to at this time of night :/

No need to apologise, yes, the thread is good for politics & stuff but it's also good because offering support is good comradely behaviour.

Teeth are a nightmare. Sure, being able to chew food is handy but the downsides are extreme. I have been hit by a car on my bike & can quite confidently say that toothache is far & away the worst physical pain I've ever dealt with.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

lol I always forget that the beautiful south guy is a proper comrade

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

ThomasPaine posted:

Understandable, The Beautiful South are worth forgetting.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
As someone in the US (and all that implies) who’s had to deal with hosed up teeth, the trifecta that usually dealt with it was
- Acetominophen and Ibuprofen combo dose
- Orajel while waiting for that to kick in, then
- Furiously internally yell at my brain “hey this is literally all I can do, can you stop being so goddamn hyperaware every nerve in my head you mother fucker, It Has Been Handled”

Point 3 typically involved furious masturbation (a challenge in itself, by that point) and then saying “aha, see, didn’t notice it hurting just then, did you brain, now cut this poo poo out”. It didn’t always work, but it usually combined to bring things down at least enough to work or sleep or continue functioning like a human being.

Anything actually-distracting tended to work for like lower-tier, 2-3 pain, but once it was up in the 5-7+ range it was basically either that or head to the ER... and as mentioned, America.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I feel like furious masturbation, while it does work, is probably not advisible as a long term pain management strategy unless you want to develop some taxing pavlovian responses.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

forkboy84 posted:

Understandable, The Beautiful South are worth forgetting.

be nice :(

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

OwlFancier posted:

I feel like furious masturbation, while it does work, is probably not advisible as a long term pain management strategy unless you want to develop some taxing pavlovian responses.

I’ve read that Stephen King short story involving rubber gloves, yes

Pain and the management thereof in general is something I’ve had, uh, the time and experience to think about, a lot of it is in the brain but the fact that I’ve had to talk about it at all in this forum and others as “ways to avoid going into crippling medical debt” is never not depressing

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Works like a charm for colds, though. Unblocks your nose pretty much instantly.

I feel bad I don't have more political stuff to offer to this thread. Friend of mine down south is currently without water, and hasn't even had notice or anything, nationalise the water companies!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Thanks, everyone. I managed about 30 mins of sleep which has calmed me down a bit. Not expecting to get much more tonight though.

ThomasPaine posted:

What's actually causing the pain? Is it just the process of it coming through or has it already impacted somehow?

I've been getting toothaches on and off for the last few years now. I've been to the dentist a few times cause it's got really bad and they just say it's food trapped under the gums and that I need to brush my teeth better. Which honestly, feels like a whole load of bullshit to me cause whenever it happens the wisdom teeth have noticably grown through more as well. That's why I didn't even bother making an appointment at first this time, didn't feel like going just to hear the same bullshit yet again.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Why the gently caress aren't teeth just lumps of nerveless bone anyway

I was all worried about my wisdom teeth so I asked at my last dentist appointment and apparently I just don't have any?! Which I didn't know was a possible thing but I am VERY GRATEFUL

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I hope I don't have any because if I do I don't know where they're going to come out, either they already came in or I'm going to need more mouth space because my jaw hinge starts directly behind my teeth.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

don't count your blessings yet, mine gave no indication that they existed until I was in my late 20s and I've heard stories of some people having them appear later than that

OwlFancier posted:

I hope I don't have any because if I do I don't know where they're going to come out, either they already came in or I'm going to need more mouth space because my jaw hinge starts directly behind my teeth.

:rip:

Rarity posted:

I've been getting toothaches on and off for the last few years now. I've been to the dentist a few times cause it's got really bad and they just say it's food trapped under the gums and that I need to brush my teeth better. Which honestly, feels like a whole load of bullshit to me cause whenever it happens the wisdom teeth have noticably grown through more as well. That's why I didn't even bother making an appointment at first this time, didn't feel like going just to hear the same bullshit yet again.

Yeah I'd definitely get a second opinion on that, sounds to my amateur self like something's impacted

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out
the human body is an absolute disaster

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Apparently I only have 28 teeth and you're supposed to get 32?

I don't remember seeing any extra on the x ray, I'll ask the dentist when next I see her.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

ThomasPaine posted:

Yeah I'd definitely get a second opinion on that, sounds to my amateur self like something's impacted

I've heard this from multiple dentists :shrug:

Genuinely feels to me like the NHS trying to avoid doing costly wisdom tooth removals unless they absolutely have to because gently caress the Tories

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
gently caress I just closed the Chrome tab I'd written the emergency dentist phone number down in. gently caress.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Does chrome have an undo close tab option?

Ctrl + Shift + T apparently does it.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Rarity posted:

Thanks, everyone. I managed about 30 mins of sleep which has calmed me down a bit. Not expecting to get much more tonight though.

My partially through wisdom teeth have this happen because food can get stuck under the gums where the teeth aren't fully through. My dentist though told me it was specifically bits of food that have got stuck starting to ferment

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I'm pretty sure I need my upper left wisdom tooth out because it's longer than the molar next to it and kind of sticking out diagonally. And my face normally hurts on that side.

Should probably get the cracked tooth seen to first.

Desiderata
May 25, 2005
Go placidly amid the noise and haste...

ThomasPaine posted:

Their thing has always been hiding under trite sounding easy listening tunes, brutal kitchen sink style sex violence and drama. "I think the Answer's yes" sounds like a nothing little tune you might get on a radio station for the olds but contains lyrics that Rage Against The Machine would find too threatening: the final refrain being - "No amnesty for murderers of poor old working class,
Rope or gas, rope or gas, rope or gas"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CP7oK-Pndbw

Apparently it's the song he is most proud of.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Rarity posted:

Sorry for making GBS threads up the thread with this, people. I just don't have anyone else I can go to at this time of night :/

I had my 2nd abscess around an impacted wisdom tooth, and they said they'd take it out. It was surprisingly quick, like 2 weeks wait I think? Full-on, general anaesthetic surgery (gently caress you spellcheck don't tell me "anaesthetic" is wrong) and they took it out. Was miserable for 2 weeks afterwards but much better after that.

Admittedly this was when I was still living with my parents so it would have been either quite early into the coalition or in New Labour times, so it might be different by now.

Hope you feel better and get something sorted soon Rarity.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Worst pain I've ever had was a toothache caused by my dentist improperly cleaning out the tooth space of an old filling, before filling it in with a new...uh filling, allowing it to become infected. A most exquisite pain sandwich. :suicide:

Worst part was it was over a bank holiday weekend and I could only get an emergency dentist after two days of climbing the wall in agony. Only for her to refuse to remove it, despite my pleading. She just numbed it, so I was able to get some relief.

Had to have a wisdom tooth removed recently, it came out nice and quick, aside from me gagging on a splinter of tooth that flew in a perfect arc to hit me in the back of the throat, and nearly making me throw up over the dentist chair.

Gum posted:

the human body is an absolute disaster

It's a beautiful, hideous disaster.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

hold on just a minute this seems... off

https://twitter.com/leekern13/status/1196205880888430594?s=20

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

I already had that guy blocked apparently. Dunno what for... but his entire timeline is about how JC is an antisemite, and he's retweeted Tracy Ann Oberman and Eddie Marsan, and also tweet poo poo like this:

https://twitter.com/leekern13/status/1195772051681882112?s=20

So yeah. Don't touch the poop.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

yeah it just struck me that he's accusing corbyn supporters of doing literally the exact thing he and his riley/oberman etc pals are actually doing all the time

i.e. the whole 'I searched her twitter for references to bagels and there were none so she's not a real jew' + ignore all those pro-corbyn left-wing jews the only legitimate voice of all jews in Britain happens to be the right-wing one is exactly what he's referring to here, though I can guarantee he'd never call out one of his 'side' on it.

It's almost like they either 1) have zero self-awareness and are insanely dumb or 2) know they're being dishonest but are playing an angle, and I honestly struggle to tell which it is sometimes.

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Nov 18, 2019

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Desiderata posted:

Their thing has always been hiding under trite sounding easy listening tunes, brutal kitchen sink style sex violence and drama. "I think the Answer's yes" sounds like a nothing little tune you might get on a radio station for the olds but contains lyrics that Rage Against The Machine would find too threatening: the final refrain being - "No amnesty for murderers of poor old working class,
Rope or gas, rope or gas, rope or gas"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CP7oK-Pndbw

Apparently it's the song he is most proud of.
gently caress me, I've not heard this in decades. Nice one reminding me it exists :v:

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

I generally don’t bother with this kind of stuff, but I watched the Prince Andrew interview, and I recommend that anyone who hasn’t do so ASAP. It is jaw-dropping that anyone at the Palace thought this was a good idea. It exposes Andrew as an unbelievably colossal idiot and deeply weird at best, and a horrific monster who is also an unbelievably colossal idiot and deeply weird at worst. He really just comes from a different dimension and cannot relate to normal people in even the smallest way.

I wonder if this, despite being on the surface unrelated, will actually make a difference for Labour. Because this interview really exposes the ruling class of this country to be utterly worthless.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

ThomasPaine posted:

yeah it just struck me that he's accusing corbyn supporters of doing literally the exact thing he and his riley/oberman etc pals are actually doing all the time

i.e. the whole 'I searched her twitter for references to bagels and there were none so she's not a real jew' + ignore all those pro-corbyn left-wing jews the only legitimate voice of all jews in Britain happens to be the right-wing one is exactly what he's referring to here, though I can guarantee he'd never call out one of his 'side' on it.

It's almost like they either 1) have zero self-awareness and are insanely dumb or 2) know they're being dishonest but are playing an angle, and I honestly struggle to tell which it is sometimes.

If Corbyn becomes PM, I'm, waiting for the nuclear hot takes about how he's perpetually mere moments away from enacting kristallnacht 2.0

Comrade Fakename posted:

I wonder if this, despite being on the surface unrelated, will actually make a difference for Labour. Because this interview really exposes the ruling class of this country to be utterly worthless.

Andrew's already seems to be disliked by royalists, even before all the 'droit de nonce stuff came out. Don't know how much that impacts the view of the rest of the royals on the general public, though.

It won't shift the royalist nutters at all, and I guess the apathetic general public view of the royals will be on how loathesome and weird Andrew is personally, and not the actual system of privilege that's allowed him to do the poo poo he's done.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Speaking of labours policy of free check ups, wisdom teeth are another reason it's a good idea. I went for a check up at a private dentist, had an xray, and they found one of my wisdom teeth was heading sideways straight for my nerves. Got referred to hospital straight away and got it removed under general
anaesthetic before the agonizing pain started. If only everyone could afford to get such check ups done...

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Pesky Splinter posted:

Andrew's already seems to be disliked by royalists, even before all the 'droit de nonce stuff came out. Don't know how much that impacts the view of the rest of the royals on the general public, though.

It won't shift the royalist nutters at all, and I guess the apathetic general public view of the royals will be on how loathesome and weird Andrew is personally, and not the actual system of privilege that's allowed him to do the poo poo he's done.

I didn’t mean it from a republican perspective particularly. It’s just that Andrew is a perfect example of the fact that the upper classes aware just complete loving aliens in comparison to the normal people of this country,. Utterly unrelateable on every level.

E: lol at the Mail’s front page desperately trying to retroactively fix things for Andrew.

Comrade Fakename fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Nov 18, 2019

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

ThomasPaine posted:

SOP for the alt-right?

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Comrade Fakename posted:

I didn’t mean it from a republican perspective particularly. It’s just that Andrew is a perfect example of the fact that the upper classes aware just complete loving aliens in comparison to the normal people of this country,. Utterly unrelateable on every level.

E: lol at the Mail’s front page desperately trying to retroactively fix things for Andrew.

Ah I see.

You know, maybe David Icke did have a point. :v:

Oof. Yeah, no matter how hard they try, there's no spinning that poo poo into gold. Also the source of his "implicit apology" being "(anonymous) friends of the prince". Real convincing.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Nov 18, 2019

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

https://twitter.com/rantingauthor/status/1196276369652629504?s=19

Seems a perfectly normal opinion, lets have a look at the author.

https://twitter.com/JimMooreJourno/status/1194200989743624193?s=19

Ah.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Gen X is highly suspect IMO. Pretty sure only zoomers are ideologically pure.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Z the IVth posted:

SOP for the alt-right?

true that, but it's interesting to me that the centrists have taken on these traditionally far-right strategies.

OwlFancier posted:

On this note I highly recommend chucking a couple of quid to Ally Law every month to get access to his videos (he can't upload more stuff to public youtube for legal reasons). He's the king of the zoomies in every single respect - utterly nihilistic and straight edge, the nicest person you'll ever see but also chaos incarnate and a goddamn cheeky monkey who gives zero shits about any authority figure. Also his content is pants shittingly scary, pretty much just him and his pals climbing up absurdly high and often unstable places and I have zero clue how none of them have slipped and died. Here's an old one of them climbing up the tyne bridge that gives me loving palpitations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxZ_pW2HWLE

e: it can be bit clickbaity and dumb but bear with it

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Nov 18, 2019

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Rarity I hope you can get some respite soon :(

OwlFancier posted:

Gen Xers got a raw deal, they were thoroughly outnumbered and brought up in the absolute Hellworld of Thatcher and Reagan, and the Internet was still limited only to the weirdos in unis and hobbyists who are today's venerable graybeards, able to count the individual bauds as their usenet posts went up. Politically aren't they usually placed pretty much midway between boomers and millennials? Not like, super lefty, but certainly more reachable and reasonable than their parents?

Agreed on zoomers though, when Gen Z takes over I'll wall myself to save them the trouble.

Also, on thread's advice am watching the Nonce Andrew interview now and boy yeah he really is just... completely disconnected from anyone else, huh? He's talking about this as if Epstein was a flawed luminary, a 'complicated' but ultimately good man, not a universally reviled pedo whose only value in the eyes of any other human was that he might have implicated other hyper-rich pedos.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The most useful way I've found to look at politics is that any claims of rationality are actually just claims of feeling rational. That's true when ben shapiro blathers about facts not caring about your feelings and it's true when libs pathologically look for compromise or espouse their clearly non ideological ideas that couldn't possibly be based in justifying their own prejudices about the world.

People aren't rational, they're emotional, the far right is perhaps more obvious about it but it works everywhere, including on the left, though I think the left is harder to discern given that our prejudices and emotional reactions are usually more useful than centrist or right wing ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Naoki Urasawa does do pretty cool manga, though. Monster is a super rad gothic crime thriller set in Germany around the fall of the Berlin Wall.