Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

This law poo poo reads like a dumb ancaps ideas of how laws work

quote:

Unless you report your vehicle stolen to law enforcement (this can be easily done at an ASOP terminal), you are still considered the legal owner of the ship and are responsible for certain crimes perpetrated by it.

Though this is probably because the code doesn't know enough to try and figure out who's flying a poo poo, and just looks up registered owner.

quote:

If payment is not made before this period expires, the fine escalates in both price and severity.

How does a fine escalate in severity that's not price?

quote:

The infliction of harm onto another being with a deadly weapon either willfully or accidentally.

Negligence is not assault....

EDIT: Cat Assault Caught On Camera

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

Bofast posted:

How bad was the OUYA in the end? I threw in a few bucks in the Kickstarter just to see what would happened but mostly forgot about it after that.
I get that it was a complete flop, but did it sort of work at all?
At least one thing the OUYA can claim is that it was released and that it works decently as a retro emulator box. It's not anywhere near the hype or intent (dreams) that it was sold on, and there's other emulator boxes out there that work as well or better, but at least it does what it's supposed to.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ouya/comments/aow285/so_i_got_an_ouya_in_2019_once_tweaked_its_awesome/

quote:

I found a Ouya complete in box for 40$ CAD! The previous owner said he only used once or twice (it even had these plastics you feel off new devices!). I rooted it using a network ADB tutorial I found online, loaded the Google Play store, YouTube, Netflix, Kodi and couple of android games I had purchased in the past (some emulators too), used the Tegra Overclocking app for the Ouya and it works really good! I had much lower expectations. I did realize the fan was loud with the overclock, so I desolder the heatsink, removed the lovely thermal pad and installed Noctua thermal paste! Now it's colder and quiet. Overall, I'm very happy with it. It's too bad they went under like they did.

The other thing to note is price. Spending $100 on what turned out to be a mediocre console or $40 on an emulator box is nowhere near the insanity of Citizens dropping $1000 or more (sometimes much, much more) on JPGs that have no other purpose than to be used in a crappy Cryengine mod that pretends it's a space game.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

stingtwo posted:

The OUYA was for a problem that didn't need solving in the 1st place, couch gaming with friends still existed on the big 3 consoles. But the company was a comedy of errors, setting up a booth in a car park across the street from E3 and promoting Donkey Kong Country on the system are the bigger ones.

Having said that, the android consoles has never really disappeared with the nvidia shield still around and OUYA was bought by Razer for a stupid amount of money.

Razer used it for a write down, so the brand is dead. They shut down the market/site in August 2018 and Julie Uhrman is now a VP at Playboy Digital. Meaning the cryptic ‘redtube’ tweet that time may have come from the top.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hHG7CJYqKU

RAYTRACING. CALLED IT.

WTF.

BUY AN IDRIS NOW.

e: http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2019/11/star-citizen-creator-chris-roberts-on-the-future-of-gaming.html

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

So the game's frame rate can tank even more?

Tech Jesus mentioned in the GamersNexus news for today that his site's interview of Roberts back in the day was cited in Crytek's case against CIG.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Spiderdrake posted:

It would be less "tanking" and more your desktop "spontaneously combusting"

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

quote:

So you can do anything theoretically, but what are the core gameplay actions?

The scale is really large. You can be on a planet, walk around and explore every inch of that planet and go down in caves, go into a city and various buildings in it, and then get into a spaceship. The spaceships range anywhere from small, like a single-seater that’s 20 meters long, to the biggest in the game, which is 200 meters long. We have ones we’re working on that will be over a kilometer in size, and they’re fully realized inside. There’s living quarters and mess and toilets, there’s engines. It’s all realized and laid out like you would expect it to be. You can get in, take off, leave one planet, fly to another planet, get out, and so there’s a sense of scale and freedom. Think about some of the things you can do in Grand Theft Auto, but think on a much larger scale, and less focused on one profession. You can be the criminal if you want, but you can be the law enforcer or bounty hunter, or someone minding their own business trading cargo.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

quote:

We use the procedural tools to paint at scale: an artist would go in there and we would say “This planet is in the cold zone, so it’s going to be mostly covered in snow and ice, and then maybe here’s where the oceans would be, the mountain ranges would be, here’s where the tundra would be.” The details of what’s in every inch or meter comes from the procedural rules but the very high level in terms of creation is all artist-driven.

cig's moon artist: oh and computer, right here i want a texture seam that is visible from space

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

So, CR basically described the "core gameplay" as going into caves, walking around locations, walking around ships, walking to the toilet, walking around other places. Oh, and you can fly.

Star Citizen: Walking and a bit of flying.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer
-moons

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
Guns are working well

https://i.imgur.com/8k0jFVS.mp4

:discourse:

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Spiderdrake posted:

Tech Jesus mentioned in the GamersNexus news for today that his site's interview of Roberts back in the day was cited in Crytek's case against CIG.

:lol:
If you're going to be involved with Star Citizen at all, being cited in a lawsuit against CIG seems like the best way to do it.

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

Spiderdrake posted:

https://youtu.be/CWiqxelCIto?t=530

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
So two growing space game companies...

Frontier:

Oct 2018: 400 staff

Oct 2019: 500 staff

Cloud Imperium:

Feb 2018: 475 staff

May 2019: 537 staff

But who’s winning the recruitment game?

Open Positions:

Cloud Imperium: 77

Frontier: 7

It’s CIG isn’t it...

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Pixelate posted:

Frontier:

Cloud Imperium:

Open Positions:

It’s CIG isn’t it...

CIG has much higher demands for its employees, that's why it only hires the best juniors for senior positions it can.

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

Agony Aunt posted:

So, CR basically described the "core gameplay" as going into caves, walking around locations, walking around ships, walking to the toilet, walking around other places. Oh, and you can fly.

Star Citizen: Walking and a bit of flying.

You dont understand game development.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Bronze Fonz posted:

What's with the loving plants?

Whatever this corridor, room, entryway whatever is supposed to be, is completely devoid of decoration, styling nor any remotely aesthetic consideration. But there's 2 big planters there with space ferns in there... why?

compliance with the Waist High Walls act of 2472

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Agony Aunt posted:

CIG has much higher demands for its employees, that's why it only hires the best juniors for senior positions it can.

They’ll be full staffed in under three more years.

Then development will really take off.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Agony Aunt posted:

Not everybody has the recruiting skills to find seniors in juniors.

Man, it's been years since I remembered this poo poo:

https://youtu.be/SPlQpGeTbIE

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Speaking of which, any glassdoor activity?

SabinBlitz
May 19, 2015

Firm believer that muscles conquers all

Colostomy Bag posted:

Oh poo poo. I knew I forgot to do my part today. Let me get right on it.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
Show Star Citizen to your friends!

'WHAT THE gently caress'

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Pixelate posted:

'WHAT THE gently caress'

The gently caress-knuckles in the thread are laughing about how they will reminisce about these bugs soon when they are all gone and the masses of noobs will listen in wonder never having seen anything except perfection LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Hav posted:

They’ll be full staffed in under three more years.

Then development will really take off.

Building pipelines so gigantics require time and effort from the humanity's finest minds and you can't rush it, otherwise we will experience a setback akin to the burning of alexandria.

Zzr fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Nov 18, 2019

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Pixelate posted:

'WHAT THE gently caress'

Oh my god you gotta watch it all the way to the end to see dozens of other people (NPCs?) falling through the world in the same way

How did they gently caress up the game this bad

djent
Nov 28, 2013

It's metal to like clowns

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Oh my god you gotta watch it all the way to the end to see dozens of other people (NPCs?) falling through the world in the same way

How did they gently caress up the game this bad

the npcs load before the floor

tier zero, early days, ect ect

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Pixelate posted:

'WHAT THE gently caress'

:thunk:

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Star Citizen: An amusing bug nonetheless!

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Pixelate posted:

Frontier:

Cloud Imperium:

Open Positions:

It’s CIG isn’t it...

Comparisons to Star Citizen aside, it is nice to see an independent studio that makes good games become so successful. I really hope we see more and more of this.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Pixelate posted:

'WHAT THE gently caress'

"this is the most surrealist bug i have ever seen. straight out of a dream"

even the bugs are art!

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Inacio posted:

"this is the most surrealist bug i have ever seen. straight out of a dream"

even the bugs are art!

CIG hasn’t only monetized development hell, they’ve turned it into an art form.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

Colostomy Bag posted:

Keep doing what you're doing!

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

https://twitter.com/giogetmoneyTV/status/1196470707640786952

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

quote:

Unless you report your vehicle stolen to law enforcement (this can be easily done at an ASOP terminal), you are still considered the legal owner of the ship and are responsible for certain crimes perpetrated by it.

SoftNum posted:

This law poo poo reads like a dumb ancaps ideas of how laws work

This makes no sense at all. First off, if your vehicle is stolen then of course you are still the legal owner of the ship. CIG, you dumbfucks. If you don't remain the legal owner of the ship then who is? The guy who stole it? So now he legally owns your ship, is that really what you're saying CIG?

And how can you be responsible for "certain crimes perpetrated by [the ship]"? A ship doesn't perpetrate crimes, it's an object. If I steal your gun (and hope that you don't report it stolen, otherwise I become the legal owner you know) and shoot someone with it, the gun has now committed a crime and you are responsible for murder.

Amazing. This must have been written by one of their "senior" lore writers.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I don't remember George Lucas being gifted 300 million dollars to make Star Wars. But yeah they're totally the same and Star Citizen is clearly going to be the next Star Wars.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Fidelitious posted:

This makes no sense at all. First off, if your vehicle is stolen then of course you are still the legal owner of the ship. CIG, you dumbfucks. If you don't remain the legal owner of the ship then who is? The guy who stole it? So now he legally owns your ship, is that really what you're saying CIG?

And how can you be responsible for "certain crimes perpetrated by [the ship]"? A ship doesn't perpetrate crimes, it's an object. If I steal your gun (and hope that you don't report it stolen, otherwise I become the legal owner you know) and shoot someone with it, the gun has now committed a crime and you are responsible for murder.

Amazing. This must have been written by one of their "senior" lore writers.

to be fair to CI(G), they have to account for creating a second account and using it to commit crimes. Or just making an arrangement with someone to let them use your ship to commit crimes.

if someone uses your gun to commit a crime and then gives your gun back im pretty sure most people look on that with suspicion

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

George Lucas also coasted along with the help of a lot of other smart, creative people that did a lot of the work but he took all the credit and let it go straight to his head. And then he decided he could do it all, and better, by himself and that is how we got the prequels. With fart and poop jokes, racist characters, more focus on visuals than the story.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

to be fair to CI(G), they have to account for creating a second account and using it to commit crimes. Or just making an arrangement with someone to let them use your ship to commit crimes.

if someone uses your gun to commit a crime and then gives your gun back im pretty sure most people look on that with suspicion

Robertlorian.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

happyhippy posted:

Raindrops will be fully 3D modeled polygons for each rain drop in real time.
They will be affected by such things as gravity, wind speed, atmosphere density, fluid dynamics of whatever liquid it is (water is not the only possible rain), and collisons between other raindrops.
They will have the proper physics and will react properly when they finally collide with whatever surface, collecting into puddles, clinging onto windows, and even forming streams and rivers.
Chris has deemed it so.

End result: they will use the bullet code. Make the bullets smaller, fire them vertically.

Can't wait to be headshot by raindrops. Fidelity!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

:drat: