Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

(I picked "neither" just to see the results. :colbert:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Neither awful nor funny, just pretty dang cool:

https://twitter.com/simongerman600/status/1194702869083111430

White Rock
Jul 14, 2007
Creativity flows in the bored and the angry!
so no country to the South really gets midnight sun then, huh?

White Rock has a new favorite as of 00:56 on Nov 14, 2019

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Nah, nothing's inhabited far south enough. Give it a few hundred million years.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

White Rock posted:

so no country to the South really gets midnight sun then, huh?

Nope, there isn't anything inhabited far enough south. Plenty of scientists and engineers at the Antarctic bases do though.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

this guy has spent over a decade of his winters caring for south pole science equipment. total darkness :spooky:

https://www.mprnews.org/story/2018/11/12/university-of-minnesota-astrophysicist-cares-for-telescope-antarctica

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
This is my favourite read about wintering over at 90 South.

Alcoholism in Antarctica

Follow up interview:

On Getting Drunk in Antarctica

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

ultrafilter posted:

Nah, nothing's inhabited far south enough. Give it a few decades.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Memento posted:

This is my favourite read about wintering over at 90 South.

Alcoholism in Antarctica

Follow up interview:

On Getting Drunk in Antarctica

Surely sounds like a fun person to have around! Appoints himself into a bartender no-one asked for, keeps tabs and diary on how much people drink, and goes to the bosses to snitch on everyone, just because some people are killing time drinking. In a loving shut down research/military base at the loving Antarctic winter.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Der Kyhe posted:

Surely sounds like a fun person to have around! Appoints himself into a bartender no-one asked for, keeps tabs and diary on how much people drink, and goes to the bosses to snitch on everyone, just because some people are killing time drinking. In a loving shut down research/military base at the loving Antarctic winter.

you may want to check out the rehab thread in TCC

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Lutha Mahtin posted:

this guy has spent over a decade of his winters caring for south pole science equipment. total darkness :spooky:

https://www.mprnews.org/story/2018/11/12/university-of-minnesota-astrophysicist-cares-for-telescope-antarctica

God drat vampires

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Der Kyhe posted:

uhhh

he didnt snitch, he spent hours letting people hang out and get drunk enough to put on the couch instead of letting them walk out into the -40°C. thats a good person imo

i would probably drink more than my share and get shameful at night and ashamed the day after. but thats on me

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Good thing you specified C.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

p-value is stored in the balls

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Soricidus posted:

:emptyquote:

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Soricidus posted:

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Soricidus posted:

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

I've got one out of two matching balls.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

p is stored in the vals

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

It could at least show what the jackpot numbers are!

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

So you're saying... There's a chance? :D

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
https://twitter.com/KetanJ0/status/1196356873550794752

how on earth

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Memento posted:

how on earth

Too rich to be affected, too invested in climate destroying businesses to care. Also, they will be feasting in Heaven before poo poo really hits the fan.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Memento posted:

how on earth

I'm interested in what they define as "education" because a lot of hard-right tertiary institutions are pure indoctrination centers

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Somfin posted:

I'm interested in what they define as "education" because a lot of hard-right tertiary institutions are pure indoctrination centers

As a famous man once said: "They have been educated stupid."

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Memento posted:

how on earth

Think of it in terms of higher education driving people more to the left. The ones that come out of university still Republican would have been much more committed going in.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
I think the more simple explanation is that education correlates quite well with income, and they didn't adjust for that. I'm pretty sure the trend would go away if they corrected for income level. (High-income Republicans care less about climate change or racism, because they profit from them and/or are not affected personally, just as pointed out above. They also oppose taxation more strongly than poor republicans which ought not surprise anyone.)

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Somfin posted:

Educated people are more certain about their beliefs, especially relating to technical-sounding stuff. That's all.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
PragerU alumni.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Count Roland posted:

Educated people are more certain about their beliefs, especially relating to technical-sounding stuff. That's all.

Educated people are more capable of creating sophisticated arguments for their position and can lock themselves into a wrong understanding if they're not open to alternative but superior explanations. College is all about getting intelligent people to be open to different explanations and not assuming your gut instincts are correct

Guess what consistently tracks with "low openness to experience"?

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Cool I got the lowest income personality type

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Dave Grool posted:

Cool I got the lowest income personality type

Nice, me too

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Variation in income within a personality type is much larger than variation across personality types.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

No scale on the first one. The second is just amusing. Guess what's being measured.

Frequency of use of emojis by pro- and anti-white supremacists. https://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=3359495

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Karia posted:

No scale on the first one. The second is just amusing. Guess what's being measured.

Frequency of use of emojis by pro- and anti-white supremacists. https://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=3359495

Didn't know there was a sig rune emoji :cripes:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

I think the more simple explanation is that education correlates quite well with income, and they didn't adjust for that. I'm pretty sure the trend would go away if they corrected for income level. (High-income Republicans care less about climate change or racism, because they profit from them and/or are not affected personally, just as pointed out above. They also oppose taxation more strongly than poor republicans which ought not surprise anyone.)

“corrected”

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

DontMockMySmock posted:

There isn't, but Unicode includes the futhark runes

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

DontMockMySmock posted:

Sometimes a lightning bolt is just a lightning bolt.

Although that doesn't stop internet nazis from using it as a sig rune.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Box 1. Simulated outbreaks of influenza with or without disease transmission by Santa Claus: number of infected people per 100 simulations of a population of 10 000 people

The violin plot shows the frequency distribution of the number of infected people in 100 simulations. The three horizontal lines in the plot indicate quartiles. * P < 0.001; n.s., not significant.

Box 2. Numbers of infected people (A) and outbreak size (B) for 100 simulations of measles outbreaks, with or without disease transmission by Santa Claus, in a population of 10 000 people: 95% measles vaccination coverage (children) assumed

* P < 0.001. In panel A, “frequency” is the proportion of simulations with the number of infected people indicated on the lower scale. In panel B, “frequency” is the proportion of simulations of the indicated size: outbreaks with fewer than 150 infected people per 10 000 population were classified as small, those with at least 150 as large outbreaks.

From What would happen if Santa Claus was sick? His impact on communicable disease transmission