Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

an angry penguin
Oct 12, 2007

Dental pain is awful beyond words. I nth the recommendation of an electric toothbrush for anyone who doesn't have one, mine has made so much difference to my teeth and gums. I wanna get one of those waterpik things too but reviews say the cordless ones seem to die after 1 year.

The last time I went to an emergency dentist they did a temporary filling and told me to register with a dentist and get it sorted... I couldn't afford dental treatment at the time and trying to find an NHS dentist round here is a battle and a half. I've since been told that I'll probably need a root canal on that tooth at some point, though it's not causing problems just yet so it's hanging on in there (thankfully my disability benefits cover NHS dental treatment, otherwise I still wouldn't be able to afford to see a dentist - but my friend on National Insurance Contribution-based disability has to pay for hers, which is ridiculous).

Edit: Oh no, page snipe! Uh, in the year 255, Ma Jun, a Chinese mechanical engineer from Cao Wei, invents the south-pointing chariot, a path-finding directional compass vehicle that uses a differential gear, not magnetics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

CoolCab posted:

I do not recommend weed for anything teeth related, btw. you do not want to dry your mouth out when you’re in dental pain.

Just drinksome water after man, that stops drymouth

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Feck happened here?

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

Guavanaut posted:

Yeah it's dumb as poo poo, and there should be a moratorium on making more of them until we've got the main issues figured out. Not only the physical ones like the food hole and the water hole also being the air hole

That's an interesting one, I think. Yes, it's impractical and brings a constant risk of discomfort or death when we eat or drink to survive, but without that particular piece of lovely engineering, would we be able to talk?

Lips and tongues presumably evolved originally to manipulate food and non-food stuff. Since air comes out of the same hole, they can manipulate its flow. And many animals have developed yelling as a useful strategy. Certainly there are further requirements for complex modulations of sound (for example, a lack of fine control over their intercostal muscles prevents the great apes from talking like us), but screaming through your food hole seems like a pretty fundamental step.

Without that, would we have developed language? And without language would we have developed cooperation, trade, or technological progress? Or bigger brains? I think that without our lovely dangerous food holes we might be just another animal, rather than the hubristic destroyers of our own environment that we have become ;)

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Samovar posted:

Feck happened here?

XMNN posted:

still a bit early for day drinking imho

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

I've always found electric toothbrushes make my mouth feel less clean than scrubbing with a regular one. Am I doing it wrong??

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Braggart posted:

Without that, would we have developed language? And without language would we have developed cooperation, trade, or technological progress? Or bigger brains? I think that without our lovely dangerous food holes we might be just another animal, rather than the hubristic destroyers of our own environment that we have become ;)
Maggots breathe through spiracles at their arse end to allow them to breathe while burrowing face down in carrion. It's feasible that we could have evolved language by modulating our anal sphincter while farting wildly.

Miftan posted:

I've always found electric toothbrushes make my mouth feel less clean than scrubbing with a regular one. Am I doing it wrong??
You are using it on the mouth end right?

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Miftan posted:

It's the opposite for me. I hate not having my electric toothbrush because my teeth just don't feel as clean when I use a manual one.

You shouldn't scrub hard. It's bad for your gums.

Flossing daily is v important imo. There is a tell-tale odour that is emitted from the mouths of people who don't floss enough or possibly at all and it always makes me want to gag :/

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

The tortoise lays on its back, its belly baking in the hot sun, beating its legs trying to turn itself over, but it can't. Not without your help. But you're not helping. Why is tha...

Oh.

Er, never mind.

Good kitty.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

You are using it on the mouth end right?

Don't be silly electric toothbrushes don't have a mouth.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Shitshitshit Jo Swinsons got us 9n the ropes over broadband, Lib Dems are offering 5k texts a month to everyone :ohdear:

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Bundy posted:

I'd personally be tempted to send totally not canvassing volunteers (I mean this with zero irony, make sure it's not anyone canvassing) ahead with some hot soup to improve mood if it were me.

I understand the sentiment, but this wouldn't be right. I'd be pissed off if I heard another party was doing it.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Trickjaw posted:

Shitshitshit Jo Swinsons got us 9n the ropes over broadband, Lib Dems are offering 5k texts a month to everyone :ohdear:

That is a joke article.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

All that texting the yoofs do.

I think the only people I text are my boss and my mum.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Trickjaw posted:

What's her next policy, bringing back Orange Wednesdays?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tesseraction posted:

That is a joke article.
How would you tell?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

How would you tell?

It's reporting on a joke party.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Tesseraction posted:

That is a joke article.

Ok, but it wouldn't have surprised me in the least, and we all need to use Ed Davey's phone to get them.

E: Boris, however, has rowed back on cutting corporation tax.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

https://twitter.com/newsthump/status/1196370047985434624

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

OwlFancier posted:

All that texting the yoofs do.

I think the only people I text are my boss and my mum.

Almost everyone I know uses Facebook Messenger now

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Azza Bamboo posted:

I feel like attempts at academic intelligence or even emotional intelligence are a distraction from doing the practical poo poo that needs doing on the ground. Whether you're doing it for the bottom line or doing it out of compassion for mankind, you still need an army of people laying the literal foundations and the literal bricks, and that work is arduous and it's a labour to those who carry it out. You can break down gender roles, but someone somewhere doing the real work will be expected by the practical reality of the requirement for human labour to toughen up and swallow their disproportionate share of the world's burdens. Whether it's masculine or attributed otherwise than gender, there needs to be recognition for those who do actually toughen up and get poo poo done.

I'd like to be proven wrong, and for everyone to have that option to live a pampered life with the best of self care options available like you're one of the hosts from Queer Eye. We're far from the point, though, where you can avoid someone needing to grow callous on their skin and beneath.

I don't really think work needs people to be assholes. If work encourages you to be an rear end in a top hat then either your job is being an rear end in a top hat and shouldn't exist, or your work environment is bad and should be changed.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

https://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/1196387641274404865
:laffo:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Corbyn speaking to the CBI atm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Agew83LN1Aw

Great bit was him saying "yes we are bringing some sectors back into public ownership, and I'm not going to apologise for it"

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

ThomasPaine posted:

On this note I highly recommend chucking a couple of quid to Ally Law every month to get access to his videos (he can't upload more stuff to public youtube for legal reasons). He's the king of the zoomies in every single respect - utterly nihilistic and straight edge, the nicest person you'll ever see but also chaos incarnate and a goddamn cheeky monkey who gives zero shits about any authority figure. Also his content is pants shittingly scary, pretty much just him and his pals climbing up absurdly high and often unstable places and I have zero clue how none of them have slipped and died. Here's an old one of them climbing up the tyne bridge that gives me loving palpitations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxZ_pW2HWLE

e: it can be bit clickbaity and dumb but bear with it

These videos just make me feel sorry for the poor bastards who'll have to scrape their exploded corpses off the pavement

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

These videos just make me feel sorry for the poor bastards who'll have to scrape their exploded corpses off the pavement

Even that thumbnail gives me vertigo.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

Maggots breathe through spiracles at their arse end to allow them to breathe while burrowing face down in carrion. It's feasible that we could have evolved language by modulating our anal sphincter while farting wildly.

Yes, I did think of that, but would it be as complex and potentially beautiful as our languages have become?

What would our fartsongs sound like? :D :marc:

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Braggart posted:

What would our fartsongs sound like? :D :marc:

See any lib dem speech?

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
ARse joiking :butt:

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Ash Crimson posted:

Just drinksome water after man, that stops drymouth

not the dry mouth as a symptom of intoxication, rather the process of smoking. it’s a problem with tobacco too- I think it’s also why you can get a dry socket?

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Tesseraction posted:

That is a joke article.

No actually, it was a leak. The Lib Dems are still hammering out the details of corporate sponsorship. Word is that the sponsoring companies will use 49% of your available characters to advertise themselves in your texts.

No such thing as a free lunch from the Sensible Party!

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Oh no, he's also a gamer!!

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Tesseraction posted:

After a 6hour marathon of Modern Warfare 2, he hands Jeffrey the controller. It is dry, no hint of use.

CptAwesome
Nov 2, 2005

CoolCab posted:

not the dry mouth as a symptom of intoxication, rather the process of smoking. it’s a problem with tobacco too- I think it’s also why you can get a dry socket?

I think that's more the negative pressure created in the mouth from the sucking

Oo er

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Miftan posted:

See any lib dem speech?

See, their problem is that they're trying to talk from both ends at once. Pick one and poo poo with it, Swinson!

Of course, as Guavanaut pointed out it's a necessary adaptation if you want to keep your face permanently in the trough like they do.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

Tesseraction posted:

the new n-word: nonce

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

Rarity posted:

loving hell :stare:

Boots didn't sell clove oil so I've had to settle for Orajel. Not sure it's helping or not but oh well.

topical gel or paste, right?

Apply to several adjacent areas, the nerve can radiate the pain to seem to be elsewhere?

hope that works as well for you as it did for me (I used a lidocaine paste but they're all pretty similar really)

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

CBI public questions asked Corbyn about anti-Semitism, and asked how he can assure people that Labour are not the party of "for the many, not the Jew." Can't actually tell if the questioner was hostile or trying to give him a chance to set the record straight.

Corbyn gave a bit of a cookie-cutter answer, don't think it was a solid quashing of the perception of him.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

OwlFancier posted:

I don't really think work needs people to be assholes. If work encourages you to be an rear end in a top hat then either your job is being an rear end in a top hat and shouldn't exist, or your work environment is bad and should be changed.

Where did "assholes" come into this? Surely the rear end in a top hat isn't the guy doing the needed work and feeling rightly like the time will never be given back to them. Surely the rear end in a top hat is the person writing a book on motivational techniques like that'll make this all better.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would be inclined to suggest that someone who views work and emotional development/empathy as mutually exclusive is kind of an rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Isn't it incumbent on the Government of the day to take royals to task mover something like Andrew? I mean, they packed the King off to France with his horse faced missus, and that was NOWHERE as serious as this. I mean when Andy was jetting round the world, how does anyone know if he had underaged girls delivered to him? Yes, I incontravertably believe he is guilty as gently caress.