Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!
I find it really surprising that after a lengthy and repeated discussion of droid rights and sentience most people just go "hell yes!" when a pseudo cop (bounty hunting is apparently a legal, regulated profession in SW universe), who is the main character of a kid friendly tv show, murders a bunch of desert dwelling aliens who were posing no threat to him for messing up his spaceship. Nope nothing weird about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."
Is this your first Western?

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Yeah I think one thing this decadent thread has shown us is that the protagonists of SW are vile and classist and racist.

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

High Lord Elbow posted:

Is this your first Western?

I don't remember seeing a western where the protagonist does a thing like that. I can imagine that happening in like a 50s western with the victims being native americans but I don't think that would be doing the Mandalorian any favors.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

teagone posted:

Imagine being mad that Jawas were in an episode of a live-action Star Wars show. Some of whom got disintegrated by a Mandalorian bounty hunter.

Can't relate.

haha I get all those references

Plug this thin Star Warsy veneer into my veins!

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

The Jawa murder could work within the story if it was presented as a mistake. The Mandalorian shoots a bunch of them but then he learns they are people too and maybe he should have tried talking to them first. This almost happens within the episode, but not really. The first episode doesn't really establish the Mandalorian as a "shoot first, ask questions later" guy. He's a thinking man, who is open to learning, cooperating with others and apparently likes cute little babies.

Then in the second episode he doesn't learn to have any compassion for Jawas. He's annoyed with them and shows contempt for their egg obsession. The Jawa disintegration is also presentet as a gag - the Jawas disappear with a funyn noise and the only thing left is their cloak. This results in the Jawa killing being a bad idea but only because it didn't work, not because it was wrong.

Anakin killing the sand people in AOTC is presented as a tragic turn in his story. He wasn't justified in killing them, even though they were responsible for the death of his mother. Anakin himself even realizes that. The Mandalorian killing Jawas is no big deal to him or the story.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The Mandalorian is a racist

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
i wouldnt be surprised if she ends up captured or almost lynched by an angry mob of little scavenger peoples

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Mandelorian is pissed off that his only way off this backwater desert planet was destroyed and also a bit scared because he knows there's a bunch of other bounty hunters on the way. Also he's not much of a talker, but he's really good at killing. So his first thought is to try to take his ship back by force, which fails miserably.

It's a little unfortunate that the Jawa deaths are played for comedy and seen as acceptable but I mean you laughed too so

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The Jawas are mostly cool with getting killed. They're horse thieves, they know sometimes that is going to get you shot.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Anyway, Jon Favreau said he is open to making a new Holiday Special. Maybe Mando here can atone for his jawa murder in a classic Life Day feel good story.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Jawas are slave (droid) traders and it's okay to kill slave (droid) traders. That should go without saying.

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

Jon Favreau doesn't care about dwarf people.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Fsmhunk posted:

I bet they smelt absolutely rancid after they ate that.
I bet they smelled rancid before they ate it.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I feel there was a Life Day reference already. Or was that just in my imagination (or sporadically watching Jedi Order video game youtube clips)?

But yeah, killing the Jawas felt a little racist. I don't know, I have mixed feelings.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Lampsacus posted:

I feel there was a Life Day reference already. Or was that just in my imagination (or sporadically watching Jedi Order video game youtube clips)?

But yeah, killing the Jawas felt a little racist. I don't know, I have mixed feelings.

Not but they don't value life the way we do so it's ok

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Guys theres a SW spoilers thread ya know. I got too much poo poo to watch and haven't seen the Mandalorian yet

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Lampsacus posted:

Cat Machine posted:

Jawas are slave (droid) traders and it's okay to kill slave (droid) traders. That should go without saying.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Havent watched but is the show on tatooine, or is it on another new desert planet that also has jawas

it's jakku

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Cat Machine posted:

You need to be careful. The Jawas on tatooine/Jakku were slave traders. We don't know enough about the Jawas on not-tatooine/Jakku to make that judgement.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

They were horse thieves

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

We don't see any droids in Jawa's possession on the Mandalorian. It's a different planet and a different bunch of Jawas. Nothing on the show itself suggests these guys keep droid slaves and it has no relation to the scene in question. The Mandalorian is not killing the Jawas because he knows they are slavers and hates that, but because they are jacking his car. If you are content with interpreting the scene with reference to the broader context of the Star Wars universe (jawas are slavers and deserve death), that's fine, but it ignores the way the scene plays out in the series itself. It also clashes with the fact that the episode doesn't show the Jawa killing to be justified in any way. Jawas are shown to be funny little creatures that love to eat egg and do nothing wrong except disassemble the Mandalorian's ship.

I'm not saying that the character of the Mandalorian is racist or supposed to be racist, but that the showrunners included a scene with racist implications (especially problematic in the US where people of color are frequently shot for minor or nonexistent offences), which can't be hand waved with a questionable in-universe justification.

BiggestBatman
Aug 23, 2018

Captain Jesus posted:

I find it really surprising that after a lengthy and repeated discussion of droid rights and sentience most people just go "hell yes!" when a pseudo cop (bounty hunting is apparently a legal, regulated profession in SW universe), who is the main character of a kid friendly tv show, murders a bunch of desert dwelling aliens who were posing no threat to him for messing up his spaceship. Nope nothing weird about that.

I'm messing up his spaceship, you're breaking my property, they are potentially stranding him on a planet that hardly seems survivable.

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Jesus posted:

We don't see any droids in Jawa's possession on the Mandalorian. It's a different planet and a different bunch of Jawas. Nothing on the show itself suggests these guys keep droid slaves and it has no relation to the scene in question. The Mandalorian is not killing the Jawas because he knows they are slavers and hates that, but because they are jacking his car. If you are content with interpreting the scene with reference to the broader context of the Star Wars universe (jawas are slavers and deserve death), that's fine, but it ignores the way the scene plays out in the series itself. It also clashes with the fact that the episode doesn't show the Jawa killing to be justified in any way. Jawas are shown to be funny little creatures that love to eat egg and do nothing wrong except disassemble the Mandalorian's ship.

I'm not saying that the character of the Mandalorian is racist or supposed to be racist, but that the showrunners included a scene with racist implications (especially problematic in the US where people of color are frequently shot for minor or nonexistent offences), which can't be hand waved with a questionable in-universe justification.

Dude they're loving Jawas lol, it's played for comedy because they aren't real.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Fsmhunk posted:

Get this racist poo poo out of this thread

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

In 5 lifetimes Mando could not kill as many jawa as I did in one playthrough of the Super Star Wars SNES game

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

so is "Mando" his name or is everyone calling him like the star wars equivalent of "Paki"

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

it's a sexy amazon woman but ok, mando is her name

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

so is "Mando" his name or is everyone calling him like the star wars equivalent of "Paki"

It's almost as bad as calling Tatooine's natives the j-word

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Wild Horses posted:

it's a sexy amazon woman but ok, mando is her name

is this a real thing, because IMDb lists no character name, and Pedro Pascal as the actor. like, not to assume someone's gender and pronouns but...

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

let me dream okay. i always had a thing for athene-looking warrior queens

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

BiggestBatman posted:

I'm messing up his spaceship, you're breaking my property, they are potentially stranding him on a planet that hardly seems survivable.

It's what the second guy says - it's not a real situation and I'm not interpreting it as a real situation. It's a scene constructed for the show.

Fsmhunk posted:

This stupid argument has already been settled by SMG once and for all:

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

If you can’t be racist against fictional characters, then prove it: call Mace Windu the n-word.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

i’ll step up.

Mace Windu is a Nice man

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Mandrel posted:

i’ll step up.

Mace Windu is a Nice man

Mace Windu was strong in the dark side. He let his fear and anger control him.

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Jesus posted:

It's what the second guy says - it's not a real situation and I'm not interpreting it as a real situation. It's a scene constructed for the show.

This stupid argument has already been settled by SMG once and for all:

But that's a slur against black people, who exist in the real world, unlike Jawas, which do not.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Fsmhunk posted:

But that's a slur against black people, who exist in the real world, unlike Jawas, which do not.

Guns and murder exist in the real world, unlike Mace WIndu, who does not.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Mace exists.
Windu exists, it's the Japanese word for wind probably

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

Fsmhunk posted:

They represent strange incomprehensible foreigners, while showing some traits that could be related to real groups of people. It’s like Neimodians being read as asian stereotypes, only not as apparent.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Personally, I'm shocked that the bounty hunter isn't always a nice guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Mace Windu is an alien, he's not descended from anyone from Africa.