Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

BoldestCorgi posted:

Am I the only one that didn’t like how this episode hinges on waking up an innocent sleeping wooly space rhino, murdering it with the help of a magic baby, and then giving the rhino’s young to a bunch of degenerates so they can eat it alive? I know fighting a beast is some classic ‘30s Buck Rogers stuff but the animal needs to look evil or mean, otherwise it feels sad.

I would rather the magic space baby had helped him murder all the Jawas, who had it coming.

Ugnaut dude didn't seem to have a problem with it and talked about how his territory was at peace now, so, "bad thing gone" seems as straightforward as anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I mean unless you're a vegetarian then probably your dinner last night was an animal ten times as peaceful as the thing this guy murdered.

Not the OP, but I thought I'd pop in to mention that I'm vegan.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

BoldestCorgi posted:

Am I the only one that didn’t like how this episode hinges on waking up an innocent sleeping wooly space rhino, murdering it with the help of a magic baby, and then giving the rhino’s young to a bunch of degenerates so they can eat it alive? I know fighting a beast is some classic ‘30s Buck Rogers stuff but the animal needs to look evil or mean, otherwise it feels sad.

I would rather the magic space baby had helped him murder all the Jawas, who had it coming.

Egg.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I like this show so far, but I really wish they would have more confidence in it being able to stand on its own two feet instead of having basically everything be "it's that thing from the movies but with a slight twist!" and hell they don't even do the twist half the time.

Like the Jawas. Why are they on this planet? Are Jawas a spacefaring race? Do they build the sandcrawlers themselves? Like I don't know if any of this was ever explored in the EU, but I always assumed the ones on Tatooine salvaged a mining vessel or something, since they're... you know, scavengers. But evidently it's part of their culture now regardless of what planet they're on - which is honestly fine, since now I'm just imagining a huge space sandcrawler dumping smaller sandcrawlers filled with Jawas on a bunch of unsuspecting outer rim planets. Even if it doesn't make much sense.

The actual answer for all this is that of course it was just included because it's The Thing From The Movie, which is maybe actually what Star Wars fans want, but it feels like a crutch that's like fundamentally something they have to get past for it to be something special.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Nov 18, 2019

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

I'm not a big SW fan and I watched this because I heard Herzog was in it and he said it was good, and man I can't wait for more of this show. The atmosphere is great and I love the sparse dialogue and the characters. Great spaghetti western/samurai jack vibe too.

So far it looks like it has all the stuff that makes SW cool (bounty hunters, post-apocalyptic space deserts, cool looking tech) without all the stuff that makes it bad (space republic parliament politics, jedi drama, regurgitating death star plots).

I liked the OG trilogy, hated the prequels and the new movies, but liked a lot of the side stuff like kotor 1 and 2, the clone wars cartoon, the republic commando game, so this is right up my alley

thanks for reading

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Nitevision posted:

Not the OP, but I thought I'd pop in to mention that I'm vegan.

I'm 3Dgan. It's like a freegan but instead of eating out of trash cans I watch CGI animals die on Star Wars.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Solice Kirsk posted:

He walks like Robocop and it's very distracting.

I'm glad someone else noticed this.

He's walks likes he's nervous as hell and trying to hide it.

Herostratus
May 1, 2013

Solice Kirsk posted:

He killed like 5 guys in single combat and left a wake of dead when he blasted maybe a dozen people in a shootout. They're writing his combat abilities to be whatever the story needs at the moment.

Mandalorians are heavy shock troops optimized to kill more numerous but poorly armed, poorly armored opponents. Anything else, they're going to have a problem with without support weapons.

Our mando is used to stomping on the first kind, which is why he thinks he's invincible. But he's not. Think a french knight in Agincourt.

Honestly, it just adds realism for me.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I'm glad someone else noticed this.

He's walks likes he's nervous as hell and trying to hide it.

Coz he can't see poo poo wearing a helmet and doesn't want to fall over. Watch him climb some steps in ep 1, looks pretty bad. Ah well.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Bobby Digital posted:

The gator who ate his hand in Happy Gilmore.

I somehow never realized that was him

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Phylodox posted:

I don’t get everyone saying the Mandalorian is bad at his job. He’s great at his job, he’s just not an infallible superbadass. He’s Indiana Jones. He’s John McClane. Yeah, he gets the poo poo kicked out of him, but he perseveres and wins out in the end. That’s awesome!

Almost literally Indiana Jones in the scene where he nearly got wiped off the Jawa Crawler.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

drunkill posted:

Coz he can't see poo poo wearing a helmet and doesn't want to fall over. Watch him climb some steps in ep 1, looks pretty bad. Ah well.
Maybe he just acts like he can't see poo poo to lull his enemies into a false sense of security.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I think his competence level scans just fine.

I get a vibe like anyone with a ship, a blaster, and enough credits for a bondsman guild liscence can be a Bounty Hunter. By those standards, a fledgeling Mando warrior who doesn't even have his signet yet (not sure of the signifigance but in a scene with so few words calling it out it must be signifigant) is a cut above. Kind of like how the "worst" army ranger still in selection training would mop the floor with a fat bubba "militia" cosplayer.

He is ruthless and knows some tricks and how to be intimidating, but he's not a superman. Tricks like the door stunt he pulled on the poor quarren thug probably give him a reputation that helps make his work mostly routine pickups.

Weird space monsters who aren't cowed by a mask and a rep seem to be his biggest weakness.

Joke Miriam
Nov 17, 2019

So, I just checked the wiki, and apparently in the new canon Jango Fett wasn't a Mandalorian, he was just some guy who was wearing their stuff? The wiki isn't 100% clear, was he specifically a poser, or did he not care and was just using their armor because it was good?

If its the latter, I suppose everything about the Clones being instilled with Mando culture to foster camaraderie and discipline is out the window too? I remember the skirts ARC Troopers wear were supposed to be a Mandalorian thing.

Ultimately, I guess it doesn't matter too much to me. So long as Delta Squad canonically existed, I'm fine (thank you, David Filoni, for doing that).

Joke Miriam fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Nov 18, 2019

mystes
May 31, 2006

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Almost literally Indiana Jones in the scene where he nearly got wiped off the Jawa Crawler.
This is good because Star Wars is just space Indiana Jones that subsequently got extremely confused and forgot what it was.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The one thing in this show that looks dumb to me every time is when he puts binoculars or a sight up to his visor

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

The one thing in this show that looks dumb to me every time is when he puts binoculars or a sight up to his visor
And the flashlight. That thing doesn't have binoculars, it doesn't have a gunsight, it doesn't have night vision... the gently caress does it do?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

He has the basic common quality Mando Helmet from the starter zone. He literally has to grind for a better view.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

I’m in Galaxy’s Edge in Orlando right now and I’m dismayed by the lack of Egg merchandise.

There is however a pretty sweet looking AT-ST “Raider” with colored legs and tatters of fabric on the joints that is labeled as being from The Mandalorian.

It’s also packaged in a sick old-school Kenner box for some reason.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Joke Miriam posted:

So, I just checked the wiki, and apparently in the new canon Jango Fett wasn't a Mandalorian, he was just some guy who was wearing their stuff? The wiki isn't 100% clear, was he specifically a poser, or did he not care and was just using their armor because it was good?

If its the latter, I suppose everything about the Clones being instilled with Mando culture to foster camaraderie and discipline is out the window too? I remember the skirts ARC Troopers wear were supposed to be a Mandalorian thing.

Ultimately, I guess it doesn't matter too much to me. So long as Delta Squad canonically existed, I'm fine (thank you, David Filoni, for doing that).

Mandalorians are a culture, not a race or species. Jango Fett was a Mandalorian, but was shunned by Mandalorian government for being too crazy or whatever, so they like banished him or whatever equivalent and he became a bounty hunter. His homeworld is Concord Dawn, which is in Mandalorian Space.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Hakkesshu posted:

Are Jawas a spacefaring race?

Not like the threshold for that is exactly a tough one. Two guys just bolted together a working starship overnight.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

TychoCelchuuu posted:

And the flashlight. That thing doesn't have binoculars, it doesn't have a gunsight, it doesn't have night vision... the gently caress does it do?

Looks cool AF.

Noirex
May 30, 2006

Owlbear Camus posted:

I think his competence level scans just fine.

I get a vibe like anyone with a ship, a blaster, and enough credits for a bondsman guild liscence can be a Bounty Hunter. By those standards, a fledgeling Mando warrior who doesn't even have his signet yet (not sure of the signifigance but in a scene with so few words calling it out it must be signifigant) is a cut above. Kind of like how the "worst" army ranger still in selection training would mop the floor with a fat bubba "militia" cosplayer.

He is ruthless and knows some tricks and how to be intimidating, but he's not a superman. Tricks like the door stunt he pulled on the poor quarren thug probably give him a reputation that helps make his work mostly routine pickups.

Weird space monsters who aren't cowed by a mask and a rep seem to be his biggest weakness.

Agreed, he's definitely naturally skilled and aware enough to play up the intimidating rep of Madalorians when needed. But when things goes bad as it often does, he is impulsive (whats the plan for the sandcrawler? He's no Stormtrooper.) and not always prepared to face everything thrown at him (Blurrg, rhino etc) So far, he hasn't really been 'the best in the parsec' He's feels more like...the next most serviceable bounty hunter in a limited talent pool. But that's more fun to cheer for than a flawless killing machine who's already at the top of his game. I'm certainly rooting for him to unlock the next upgrade for his beginner armor. It's a nice balance of badass and vulnerability that creates audience sympathy for an otherwise faceless lead character.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I for one hate “flawless killingmachine” tropes; that’s why Westworld S2 bored me to tears.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The pauldron he got in episode 1 gave him the high jump, next one he gets lets him survive in higher temperatures

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

John Wick of Dogs posted:

seriously how the hell does that even work, even right up against the visor it's over an inch from his face

Joke Miriam
Nov 17, 2019

He should have known better than to use binoculars anyway. This is Star Wars; using binoculars probably means something is going to attack you from inside your field Eof view.

Edit: And how the hell is the tiny brick of beskar going to sponsor so many kids if apparently most of it just went into his shoulderpad?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

teagone posted:

Mandalorians are a culture, not a race or species. Jango Fett was a Mandalorian, but was shunned by Mandalorian government for being too crazy or whatever, so they like banished him or whatever equivalent and he became a bounty hunter. His homeworld is Concord Dawn, which is in Mandalorian Space.

I thought he was a clone.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Solice Kirsk posted:

Boba's the clone.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Autism Sneaks posted:

seriously how the hell does that even work, even right up against the visor it's over an inch from his face

Seemed like it linked up in some way. When he put it back on the rifle it wasn't right up against his visor

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Autism Sneaks posted:

That would actually work with a rifle scope. You don't want a rifle scope right up against your eye or else the kick from the rifle would drive it into your eyeball.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eye_relief

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Solice Kirsk posted:

He does work for the cloners and part of his fee is a clone of himself, who he names Boba Fett. But Jango is not a clone.

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much

Hakkesshu posted:

The actual answer for all this is that of course it was just included because it's The Thing From The Movie, which is maybe actually what Star Wars fans want, but it feels like a crutch that's like fundamentally something they have to get past for it to be something special.

Or maybe it’s because reusing Jawas sure beats having to reinvent them for less than 30 minutes of television. :shrug:

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
https://twitter.com/BBW_BFF/status/1196270372460453888?s=19

https://www.vulture.com/amp/2019/11/werner-herzog-on-baby-yoda-in-star-wars-the-mandalorian.html?__twitter_impression=true

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Imagine a rifle scope mount that somehow is so good you can pull the scope off and put it back on without having to re-zero.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

AlternateAccount posted:

Imagine a rifle scope mount that somehow is so good you can pull the scope off and put it back on without having to re-zero.

This is Star Wars. The fact he had to reload was revolutionary

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Please shower me in Baby Yoda memes.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

AlternateAccount posted:

It would be finicky, but I bet you could almost make something like that with real world Earth technology using an integrated laser aligned with the firing pin and some kind of optical tracking that finds the pointer and zeroes the dot onto it with the push of a button or as soon as the optic is re-seated. It could even have a rangefinder element so it would know how far out it's zeroing and adjust accordingly. In a universe with antigravity and sentient robots, I could buy something like that.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Nov 18, 2019

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
This show's alright.

Does the Mandolorian gently caress with his hat on? How does he eat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weedle
May 31, 2006

The Mandalorian claims he doesn't eat pussy because he can't take off his helmet, but really it's because he's just a selfish lover.